The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

catmom46

Thanks for asking. Hugs.

They were going to attempt another Ct Scans tonight. In one of his tangents he flipped out of his bed and onto to his noggin. They were also concerned that he may have had a stroke but he is responding to commands of lift foot, lifting right hand, left etc. Answers questions. He is tethered because he has been acting nuts from the drugs they gave him and getting hurt, he ripped the IVs out multiple times. He has laid quietly today almost trance like. He is never like that. Last night and I'm sure tonight they gave him something like a sleeping pill because the nurses called his primary 4 times during the night. Those poor nurses. Unfortunately for them he screams their names out at night, one has my name and the male nurse my sons name. What's the odds? This morning he greeted my Mom by saying Hi Gabe :/ Don't know if he confused Mom for Me or the Nurse. They have him on mega doses of Coumadin trying to break up the biggest blood clot so ripping out the IVs made his room look like a massacre. He tends to get riled up when we are there trying to get us to untethered him and get what he wants. It is all kinda sad, as I said he is historically a difficult patient and even with meds it seems to come through. We are tending to stay out of the room which is hard on him and us but it only seems to agitate him in the long run. To me it is a dejavu of my Grandma's, his Mom's last few years. She was a strong old koot too. They gave her 48 hours to live and live 7 years. I'm just in that Ahhhhhhh! mode.

Oh did I mention he locked himself in his bathroom just before they tethered him and refused to come out? Who has one way locks in a hospital? So yeah the maintenance people were called as was the police and fire department. My Mom finally talked him out. Just beyond crazy.

I'm also so sorry you're going through this and hoping it gets better as I continue ketching up. :oops:

catmom46

Howdy @catmom46!
Good to see ya'!
Hope you're doin' well...! :)

Howdy! I am doing well. I met someone from the dating site over the weekend and we had a really nice time. He's also going through a divorce, has 2 kids, is intelligent, funny, and self-aware. We're getting together again later this week, so hopefully things continue going well. :D

Hope you're doing well, too! I see you're still trying to ketch up. I've given up hope for myself. :p

catmom46

I guess the time has come to try and rescue my children from the burden of the decision and take it on myself. I will do that because I feel that she will be better served by giving a path for them to follow instead of just asking what path the want to follow. There is a definite fork in this particular road. I am going to give some thought to how I want to say it and then, hopefully give them a way out of decision making while still being part of it in a way that they can live with later.

I believe I would do the same in your position. As a parent, you want to do whatever necessary to ease your children's pain, even if they may not see it that way. Sending lots of pixie dust and prayers. Xoxo

catmom46

Well, cats will do the same thing. Our hangs around us and is usually interested in what we're doing. When we were eating in the basement, she walked around commenting on the situation. But you're right; dogs are different. They're a bit too demanding for my taste. I like cats because they are usually content to just be with you while you watch TV or do computer work. They can be demanding, but overall, they're less work and less needy than dogs.

^^^^^This. Exactly the same reason for my preference for cats. :cat:

donaldtoo

Howdy! I am doing well. I met someone from the dating site over the weekend and we had a really nice time. He's also going through a divorce, has 2 kids, is intelligent, funny, and self-aware. We're getting together again later this week, so hopefully things continue going well. :D
Hope you're doing well, too! I see you're still trying to ketch up. I've given up hope for myself. :p

Very happy for you! Sounds like a decent guy! And, he has his own kiddos too, so he sounds like he knows all about that. Hope it all works out!
In the meantime, we're here for you...! :)

And, yes...always ketchup, ketchup, ketchup...!!! :joyfull: ;) :)

catmom46

Hey guys if your wondering why I haven't been active on the forums lately. Well that's because I had a stomach virus that been going on for two weeks. I'm currently typing this message on my android tablet while I'm in the hospital right now. I had a few blood tests taken today and more will be taken tommorow morning. I just came back fro my colonosocpy and I'm a little dazed from the medicine they gave me. So I might be back to being more active on this site when I recover. Don't worry @fox_198 I will be back home sometime this week.

Oh goodness! Lots of pixie dust for a speedy recovery!

catmom46

Very happy for you! Sounds like a decent guy! And, he has his own kiddos too, so he sounds like he knows all about that. Hope it all works out!
In the meantime, we're here for you...! :)

And, yes...always ketchup, ketchup, ketchup...!!! :joyfull: ;) :)

Oh, and most importantly he likes going to Disneyland, too! :joyfull:

And thanks for being there for me - all of you! I'm sorry for not posting/responding as much nowadays, but I still love y'all and want to be there for you, too. :inlove:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Hey guys if your wondering why I haven't been active on the forums lately. Well that's because I had a stomach virus that been going on for two weeks. I'm currently typing this message on my android tablet while I'm in the hospital right now. I had a few blood tests taken today and more will be taken tommorow morning. I just came back fro my colonosocpy and I'm a little dazed from the medicine they gave me. So I might be back to being more active on this site when I recover. Don't worry @fox_198 I will be back home sometime this week.

Sending you healthful wishes for a speedy recovery; hope you'll be home soon and feeling much better. Sorry to hear that you are in the hospital.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. I have been involved, but, I have been walking on egg shells trying not to take sides with either one of them. Just listening and offering suggestions on how they could expand their true knowledge of what is happening and work together for the benefit of their mom.

I also have been thinking about it considerably and feel that we have reached the point where I have to make my feelings known to them in a way that doesn't say to one that she is wrong and the other that she is right. They both have a right to their own feelings on these matters. The problem is that there is a third person that is the recipient of what ever decision they make, which at this point is to do something that will be extreme in a perhaps vain attempt to make her life better or to do nothing and let it reach its own conclusion.

In this case I tend to agree with what Gabe said. It seems like it is an unnecessary procedure that will not ever have a happy ending and all because we (collectively) don't what to see someone we care about pass on. But, as we all know, that day will come to us at some point anyway and how we get there is as important as when we get there. She has already been diagnosed with less then six months left by her doctor otherwise Hospice would not be involved, which they are. They think that it is possible for her to be trained to swallow again by physical therapy and even some tiny electric charges attached to her neck stimulating muscles to act like they should for swallowing. But, part of the problem is that she doesn't have control of her tongue muscle either that prevents her from speaking in a communicable way.

Add onto that the fact that her past mental health issues have made it easy for people to think that even if she communicates that she does or doesn't want something that she may not be able to mentally be able to understand what is being said. She has lost her short term memory but can and does know the girls instantly. I'm not buying that she is not aware of what is going on. The go and visit her and ask if she wants to play Uno. She nods yes and then proceeds to play properly. To me that means she is certainly capable of thinking in the present and knows and can follow directions. She has a Masters Degree in Nursing and although it is possible that she doesn't consciously remember a lot about it, inside she does understand. When asked if she wanted a feeding tube, she replied with no. When asked if she wanted to have therapy for speech she said yes. I am not buying the not mentally able to make a decision crap. I know her fairly well, I know that she herself made the decision to not have her own mother have anymore extreme prevention when her mother was dying of cancer. She made the decision to make sure that her mother was medicated for pain in spite of the fact that she knew that it might really speed up the process of her death. (It did, she passed away that night)

I guess the time has come to try and rescue my children from the burden of the decision and take it on myself. I will do that because I feel that she will be better served by giving a path for them to follow instead of just asking what path the want to follow. There is a definite fork in this particular road. I am going to give some thought to how I want to say it and then, hopefully give them a way out of decision making while still being part of it in a way that they can live with later.

As I mentioned to you yesterday, I also think that Gabe shared the most insight into the situation. You're very kind to suggest a solution to your daughters, and this is just my hunch--I think they'll probably be relieved that someone else is helping to guide them to a specific solution. It takes some of that anxiety away from them, as they won't feel so much like they are at odds with one another, but rather, can look toward a third person (you) as sort of a mediator. I think you're doing the right thing here and wish you the best of luck.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Sympathy like. I'm so very sorry to hear you're sick. Please take care of yourself and get well soon. Sending prayers and pixie dust.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom