The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

BuddyThomas

Here on Throwback Thursday, I feel compelled to send a message to my younger self -

Dear 20-something year old Buddy Thomas -

That's a nice flock of seagulls haircut you were sporting. How did you pull that off with a straight face?

But on a more serious note, thanks a lot for taking out about $60,000 in student loans, and thanks also for applying for 16 thousand credit cards and getting approved for all of them, and thanks for maxing them out as soon as possible on all sorts of extravagant Disney and other vacations and stuff you couldn't afford. I get it. You grew up totally poor with no resources whatsoever, and for Christmas, all you got was a rock, so as soon as credit card companies started approving you for $10,000 credit limits, even though you were just a college student, majoring in theater of all things (!!!!!!), you bit. And you bit many, many times.

You had a great time! Many, many great times. Like this great time, when you were bartending in Florida, and at the end of the night, you and your fellow bartenders decided to go to Disney World on the spur of the moment. And when you went home to get ready, you threw all your tips on the floor and rolled in them with a credit card you couldn't afford in your mouth.

Buddy 20's money roll.JPG

Yes, Young Buddy, you were a total tool. But at least you had a good time.

Well now I would like you to know that because of you, I now live in my forties paycheck to paycheck and if I want to go on a vacation anywhere, it takes two years to plan it and save for it.

See, you're rolling in money - you are literally rolling in money - which I think was the point of that photo - all the bartenders thought it was funny to be "rolling in money" - but you did not have any responsibilities except to pour drinks for 10 hour shifts, and not a clue about the world. Except maybe Disney World. You had a clue about that world. And apparently, that was not enough. ;)

FutureCEO

Well, in a way, she has. Pottermore is HER site that she runs and writes the content for, and the trailer for the story is like a book...I could post a link for you if you'd like. The nice thing about this is it's a free website....if she published a paper book, we'd have to pay for it.

Honestly I love the Harry Potter books but the whole thing Rowling is doing is just dumb. As almost as she is trying to stay in the news until she comes up with another book.

Oh wait. I just described the Kardashians except they don't do anything.

Last edited:

Songbird76

Different customs. We had a foreign exchange student, living next door. She spent more time at our house, since we had a pool table in the living room. Any way she said all American's are spoiled with the large houses, all the appliances and fancy items in the kitchen. It must have been an adjustment coming from the states. Of all the things, I wouldn't give up, besides the washer and dryer, is the dishwasher. I hate washing dishes, it's so boring.
Yep...that's pretty much it. People think we're all spoiled, and I guess when I compare what I was used to to what I have now, I would have considered myself a bit spoiled, though not as much as most Americans. We were pretty poor and we lived in a trailer house and didn't have a bunch of kitchen gadgets or game consoles like nintendo, etc. But we DID have a bathtub and a washer and dryer. I HATE dishes...for one, the stuff that's stuck on the plate. It wouldn't be bad if it was just my own dishes, but because I'm pretty picky and don't like condiments...the smell of ketchup, mustard, mayo will make me gag. I don't want to stick my thumb in that when I pick up a plate. It really grosses me out. And then I have really sensitive skin...I burn easily, so getting the water hot enough to actually kill germs means I can't stick my hands in it...and having my hands in the water for a while will dry out my skin something terrible. This is why the dishes are hubby's job. It's the one chore I just can not stand.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Here on Throwback Thursday, I feel compelled to send a message to my younger self -

Dear 20-something year old Buddy Thomas -

That's a nice flock of seagulls haircut you were sporting. How did you pull that off with a straight face?

But on a more serious note, thanks a lot for taking out about $60,000 in student loans, and thanks also for applying for 16 thousand credit cards and getting approved for all of them, and thanks for maxing them out as soon as possible on all sorts of extravagant Disney and other vacations and stuff you couldn't afford. I get it. You grew up totally poor with no resources whatsoever, and for Christmas, all you got was a rock, so as soon as credit card companies started approving you for $10,000 credit limits, even though you were just a college student, majoring in theater of all things (!!!!!!), you bit. And you bit many, many times.

You had a great time! Many, many great times. Like this great time, when you were bartending in Florida, and at the end of the night, you and your fellow bartenders decided to go to Disney World on the spur of the moment. And when you went home to get ready, you threw all your tips on the floor and rolled in them with a credit card you couldn't afford in your mouth.

View attachment 133707

Yes, Young Buddy, you were a total tool. But at least you had a good time.

Well now I would like you to know that because of you, I now live in my forties paycheck to paycheck and if I want to go on a vacation anywhere, it takes two years to plan it and save for it.

See, you're rolling in money - you are literally rolling in money - which I think was the point of that photo - all the bartenders thought it was funny to be "rolling in money" - but you did not have any responsibilities except to pour drinks for 10 hour shifts, and not a clue about the world. Except maybe Disney World. You had a clue about that world. And apparently, that was not enough. ;)

Sounds like you had your wild years. Now, you're still fun-loving and animated, but more responsible, compassionate, and worldly in your outlook. Happy to have you around here!! :happy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom