The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

Don't you mostly cook for one?
Almost exclusively, that is why I wanted it. I love my grill and use it 3 to 4 times per week. With the extra waffle grills it is perfect for me. I don't have them often and it makes two at a time. Then the clean-up is simple. Good old George! And to think I used to hate him because he was constantly bruising Ali's pretty face.

MOXOMUMD

This is my third one because the non-stick finish on the grill kept wearing off. This one has ceramic grills and you can practically just look at it and it cleans itself.
That's happening to mine too but I'm holding out to see if Santa will bring me one this year. :D I got my mom the really small one (perfect size for one person) years ago and it still is working great.

Goofyernmost

That's happening to mine too but I'm holding out to see if Santa will bring me one this year. :D I got my mom the really small one (perfect size for one person) years ago and it still is working great.
That is the one drawback with those things. The mechanical part works great, no issues at all, but the grills wore to the point of being a royal pain to clean. Tried to buy just the grills once (replacement) and they cost more then it cost to buy a brand new one. In fact, the up to date one that I have now cost $80.00 retail, the two replacement grills for my old one were around $110.00. I don't even want to try and figure out the logic in that one at all. And did I mention that the new one can make WAFFLES! If you tried to make waffles on the old one most of the batter would be in the tray below.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Electrical engineers, during hubby's time didn't have unions. Everything pretty much went to the top. One year hubby, daughter and I had an unknown virus, we all spent 2 weeks, in the hospital....it totally wiped out our retirement fund, over 60,000 dollars. It took years to come back. And we never really did.

Medical is just crazy. There is the yin yang of Unions. Big chunks of salary goes to Union Dues. In my families case one of the rewards was excellent medical care for what they took out of my Dads check initially and what his firm co-paid towards it. Though it will change all too soon we have never paid a penny towards our family health insurance, for all full time employees it is picked up 100% for dental and medical. Oddly it did not pay anything towards the orthodontist. Those dudes are 'spensive. :jawdrop:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Again, I'm very aware of the reality of how it all actually played out. It's history, it happened. And, I'm not trying to take anything away from Roy or their relationship. He did what he felt he had to do to keep things financially in order with all of Walt's "flights of fancy", if you will.

I remember reading about one particular happening regarding the release of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. There was a screening of the final cut of the film at the studio. Walt was displeased with the prince in the last scene. He "shimmied". Something had gone awry during the filming of those animation frames. Walt wanted to fix the problem, Roy was, of course, concerned about costs. Walt said he would get back to him on that. When Walt came back to Roy with the answer of $50,000, Roy, purportedly, said "Let the prince shimmy." Walt acquiesced.
The original budget for the film had been estimated at 500K, but, eventually ballooned to about 1.5M. Fortunately, it made about 4M (if I remember correctly) in it's original release, "shimmying" prince, and all.

As far as the land purchases in Florida go, I thought I remember reading that it was a business relationship of Walt's (possibly, a developer?), that he had also consulted with during the development of DL, that suggested buying the land in Florida under assumed company names.? Again, I'm not speaking to Roy's involvement otherwise in all of that, just that if word had gotten out before it did, the land prices in that area would have skyrocketed sooner than they did, and they probably would have acquired a lot less of it.
Anyway, I'm sure we could discuss it all for hours.

The main point where you and I disagree is whether or not it would have all happened without Roy. I believe it would have. Not exactly the way it did, but still would have.
Walt was a driven visionary, able to inspire, persuade, and surround himself with people that could do things he couldn't, but, he wanted to still get done. I still believe he would have found ways to surround himself with others that had the financial skills to get done what he wanted, but, also to rein him in, etc. Granted, not a trusted brother relationship, but, I still believe he would have found someone/people.
What it all boils down to is, we'll never really know, because that's not the way it played out.
I, honestly, believe he would have gotten their with or without Roy. :)

@donaldtoo , when I read what you write, I agree with you. But when I read past comments from @Gabe1 , I agree with her. I think this must mean I'm bi-polar? :confused: :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom