The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I still have an aol email so I guess that makes me still a subscriber. I use it solely for businesses that request my email that I have no intention to email correspond with. Junk emails.
The emails are free. They only count you in the group I mentioned if you are still paying them.

I still have my corporate account from AOL from when I worked there in the mid 90s. No one ever shut it off. :p

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
The emails are free. They only count you in the group I mentioned if you are still paying them.

I still have my corporate account from AOL from when I worked there in the mid 90s. No one ever shut it off. :p
I know when I cancelled my AOL account back in the day they were offering to let me keep my AOL email for like $2.00 a month. It was pretty sad. They were pretty much begging me not to change.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Understatement of the day.
No, statement of the day.

I had to deal with IE being fruity about an SSL redirect just today. Took an hour (less then that in real work, but he had customers while I was working on his machine, so I'd have to shove him over onto Chrome for a bit) to get it behaving again.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I do that too. When I can't get on a website I will flip to Firefox to see if that will open it. If I can't open the website still I know it isn't me.

I still have my old edu email address. I hope they never figure that out cause that address has it sidebar perks.

StarWarsGirl

Microsoft screwed up his IE, not you.
Oh yeah, I know that. And I think he knows that. Now at least, initially he blamed me for it since I had been using his computer before my laptop arrived. Now he knows I haven't been on his computer, so it has to be the program. Like I tried to tell him.

I do think that an AOL toolbar was screwing it up. Every time I opened it, it would freeze up. So I ran it without add ons, and I disabled all of them and added them back one by one, and finally determined it was the AOL add ons. I recommended he disable them permanently. He said he didn't want to. So the problem kept up. And he finally switched to Chrome. I'm just not mentioning the fact that disabling the AOL add ons would probably make IE work marginally well again.

I think he is still using IE on his work computer, which has XP on it. I should probably mention to him that it's not secure because Microsoft no longer updates it.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I know when I cancelled my AOL account back in the day they were offering to let me keep my AOL email for like $2.00 a month. It was pretty sad. They were pretty much begging me not to change.
They were a dying thing for two reasons.

1) They couldn't keep their phone banks up with their marketing (remember eternal busy signals in the mid to late 90s?)

2) Cable came out with cheap broadband options piggybacked on their coax networks.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Oh yeah, I know that. And I think he knows that. Now at least, initially he blamed me for it since I had been using his computer before my laptop arrived. Now he knows I haven't been on his computer, so it has to be the program. Like I tried to tell him.

I do think that an AOL toolbar was screwing it up. Every time I opened it, it would freeze up. So I ran it without add ons, and I disabled all of them and added them back one by one, and finally determined it was the AOL add ons. I recommended he disable them permanently. He said he didn't want to. So the problem kept up. And he finally switched to Chrome. I'm just not mentioning the fact that disabling the AOL add ons would probably make IE work marginally well again.

I think he is still using IE on his work computer, which has XP on it. I should probably mention to him that it's not secure because Microsoft no longer updates it.
For IE, disable every and ALL addons and toolbars aside from Adobe. They just mess things up with 10 and 11.

Also, if a site isn't behaving, you can try putting it into compatability view. That generally fixes most issues...but not all, and can actually cause different issues.

Chrome and Firefox are not without their sins, but on average they behave much better.

Gabe1

No, statement of the day.

I had to deal with IE being fruity about an SSL redirect just today. Took an hour (less then that in real work, but he had customers while I was working on his machine, so I'd have to shove him over onto Chrome for a bit) to get it behaving again.

Painful. I really appreciate my DD that looks after me and makes sure I am staying current. Raising kids that have a brain eventually pays off. She is very patient and when she teaches me new programs she is always kind.

StarWarsGirl

I do that too. When I can't get on a website I will flip to Firefox to see if that will open it. If I can't open the website still I know it isn't me.
Yup, that's what I do.

Before Chrome came out and got to be a top notch browser, I used Firefox after deciding IE was cr*p. But Firefox, every now and then, will have issues.

For instance, my brother was using Firefox on his laptop the other day. Suddenly, he couldn't get on Youtube. Rather than messing with it to figure out what the problem was (he was getting upset) I just quickly had him use Chrome. It worked. Don't know what the issue was.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Painful. I really appreciate my DD that looks after me and makes sure I am staying current. Raising kids that have a brain eventually pays off. She is very patient and when she teaches me new programs she is always kind.
Knowing computers is not necessarily a sign of intelligence.

Hand your kid a slide rule and watch her brain explode.

Familiarity with tools that have common interfaces (as most computers do) does not equate intelligence, however, considering the role computing plays in the modern workforce, it's certainly a large plus.

Gabe1

I remember that offer. I went from $25 to $30 a month and then went to Comcast. Aol asked for $2.00 which I did not accept but my email continued for free without interruption. They found a way to survive though, still kick'n.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yup, that's what I do.

Before Chrome came out and got to be a top notch browser, I used Firefox after deciding IE was cr*p. But Firefox, every now and then, will have issues.

For instance, my brother was using Firefox on his laptop the other day. Suddenly, he couldn't get on Youtube. Rather than messing with it to figure out what the problem was (he was getting upset) I just quickly had him use Chrome. It worked. Don't know what the issue was.
For ANY issue with electronics, this is the best first step. I hate to say it.

StarWarsGirl

For IE, disable every and ALL addons and toolbars aside from Adobe. They just mess things up with 10 and 11.

Also, if a site isn't behaving, you can try putting it into compatability view. That generally fixes most issues...but not all, and can actually cause different issues.

Chrome and Firefox are not without their sins, but on average they behave much better.
Yeah, just seems simpler to use Chrome and Firefox. Nonissue now since he said he's no longer using IE.

When I got my new laptop, after installing Chrome and Firefox, one of the first things I did was disable IE.

Gabe1

Knowing computers is not necessarily a sign of intelligence.

Hand your kid a slide rule and watch her brain explode.

Familiarity with tools that have common interfaces (as most computers do) does not equate intelligence, however, considering the role computing plays in the modern workforce, it's certainly a large plus.

My DD works for a University. She is tied to computer applications 100% of her day. Some understand computers in depth like my DD and then there are others like me that understand the limited applications that they use. If I break something or mess something up, I am out. I long ago gave her access to my computer and she can remotely fix, add, update you name it anything I have or have not done. blessed

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom