The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
640_coffee.jpg

Good morning.

bacon_header.jpg

Good morning to you, too! For dinner last night, I had bacon and eggs and a small order of pancakes! I loves me some breakfast food for dinner, sometimes! :hungry:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Brothers.

Earlier today:
Me: Would you please unload the dishwasher?
Brother: No
Me: Kid, unload the dishwasher
Brother: No! I don't have to!

10 minutes later:
Me: So since Mom and Dad are going to the Ravens game Sunday, do you wanna go to the movies?
Brother: Yes.
Me: But remember, you have to earn it by being nice to me and with good behavior (standard warning whenever I offer to take him to do something).

Brother gets up from the couch and unloads the dishwasher without me asking.

Oh bribery. Sweet bribery.

I've also found that's a tried and true method for getting things done, with all family members! :happy:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So I actually bought my first Christmas gift today! I got my Dad some nice leather work gloves, a cool LED flashlight, a tool caddy, and a shoehorn. He never knows what he wants but I know he will like these.

Those are very practical gifts, and I'm sure your dad will appreciate them. Nicely done! :)

Before I logged on here this morning, I was looking online at the Williams Sonoma web site for their food-related gift selection. I picked out a few things for my brother and sister-in-law (out in Colorado). One thing that i really liked was the gingerbread house, because you can add a name to it. I know my SIL will love this! I also got them various sweet and savory selections, too.

But, overall, with the remaining family members on my list, I'm still only about halfway done with my Christmas shopping. The pressure is building . . . :jawdrop:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I help my brother with his math homework on a regular basis because of common core. He's in prealgebra, so with me having more recently taken a bunch of algebra (and doing well at it I might add; just not stat, though I would have done better with a decent professor at that!) I understand it even with the common core cr*p in there.

Sometimes I just show him how to do it the way I learned it, and then show him how to fill in what common core wants him to do. And they make these all word problems. For kids who struggle with language. As far as I'm concerned, special ed should be exempt from common core.

I don't get it. At my high school, 88% of students take at least one AP before graduating. 90% of those AP scores were 3 or above (out of 5, for those that don't know; 3 is passing and may earn some college credit), and out my graduating class, we had several who went on to Ivy League schools, a lot like me who were offered a lot of scholarship money, and 95% of the class went on to go to college. In Baltimore County, several high schools were in the top 500 schools in the country. Clearly, something was working with that curriculum. So what should they do? Throw it out completely. Yeah, makes perfect sense.

Sorry for the rant, but it just flabbergasts me.

Between your post and @Gabe1 's, this is really the first time I've ever heard of something called Common Core math instruction. When did this all start? o_O Has it been going on now for years, or is this brand new? I'm clueless. (Then again, my general state of mind is always clueless. :hilarious:)

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
HAPPY UGLY CHRISTMAS SWEATER DAY!

View attachment 76271

Yet, these (well, maybe not exactly these!!) Christmas sweaters appear on the store shelves every year, so people are still buying them! :rolleyes: :facepalm:

It's a rather divisive subject; people either love them or hate them. Through the years, I've seen a few that were attractively designed. Most others were hideous.

Had a recent discussion with one of the guys at work; and he said that his mother loved Christmas sweaters, and would buy the same one for all members of the family. :jawdrop: It gets worse: she'd buy them in November, and the family had their annual Christmas photo (with all of them wearing the same sweaters . . . ). It would be the yearly Christmas, family photo card that was sent out to all the relatives and friends. He said he was mortified! :eek:

seahawk7

Those are very practical gifts, and I'm sure your dad will appreciate them. Nicely done! :)

Before I logged on here this morning, I was looking online at the Williams Sonoma web site for their food-related gift selection. I picked out a few things for my brother and sister-in-law (out in Colorado). One thing that i really liked was the gingerbread house, because you can add a name to it. I know my SIL will love this! I also got them various sweet and savory selections, too.

But, overall, with the remaining family members on my list, I'm still only about halfway done with my Christmas shopping. The pressure is building . . . :jawdrop:
I feel ya. I'm so far behind on getting ready for Christmas. I had to take Dec 22 off so I can decorate and make cookies. After tonight, I work Monday thru Thursday then I don't work again until Christmas Eve night.
I love the gingerbread house idea. I'm glad you think my dad will like those gifts since he is so hard to buy for.

Goofyernmost

When I was about 4 years old, I remember my elderly, great aunt telling me that she thought I was sweet, just like peaches and cream. Hence, since you're so (self-admittedly), sweet as well, I assume that people also refer to your personality, as peaches and cream, too?! ;)
Actually it is referred to as a "cherub like demeanor".:angelic: Peaches and Cream is not very manly.:)

Goofyernmost

Brothers.

Earlier today:
Me: Would you please unload the dishwasher?
Brother: No
Me: Kid, unload the dishwasher
Brother: No! I don't have to!

10 minutes later:
Me: So since Mom and Dad are going to the Ravens game Sunday, do you wanna go to the movies?
Brother: Yes.
Me: But remember, you have to earn it by being nice to me and with good behavior (standard warning whenever I offer to take him to do something).

Brother gets up from the couch and unloads the dishwasher without me asking.

Oh bribery. Sweet bribery.
I believe that in the scientific community it is referred to as "conditioned response". Nothing anywhere near as evil sounding as "bribery". :joyfull:

That was very pleasant to read. I am happy to hear that our elder citizens share their caring concern for you.
I wish that they would stop! They are giving everybody a distorted image of the elderly.

donaldtoo

I am coughing. Have been coughing for weeks. Will continue to cough for weeks. Maybe months.
It happens every year I get home from Disney.

In 2009, we returned the first week of October, and I can still be heard hacking my guts out while at the funeral home pre-arranging things for my dad in late February. (He was too sick to come, but wanted in on all the details, so we videotaped the whole process.)

Anyways, I am coughing. And I am majorly sleep deprived.
Nobody is working tomorrow. I have chugged some cough syrup. And I have a date with Agatha Christie.
Have a good night everyone; I'm out early. God bless.

Oh my. Hope you're feeling better, soon.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Good morning to you, too! For dinner last night, I had bacon and eggs and a small order of pancakes! I loves me some breakfast food for dinner, sometimes! :hungry:
Sometimes?
All times. Anytime!

It doesn't matter what time of day or night we go to Denny's, I always get the Grand Slam.
The only debate - with hash browns or without?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Kids today have it much harder in schools. They focus more on common core and testing than things they actually need to learn.

I agree. My DD started out wanting to be a High School Math teacher. After working as a tutor in high school while in college she became very disenchanted. That is why she held out to work at a University.
Much of what I have seen is beyond the majority of the students maturity level in given grade levels especially when it is stated that they are building time management skills. Most students have attention spans of a gnat.

Secondly, some of these teachers are intellectually lacking, not high IQs or high ACT SAT scores when going off to college themselves. Many teaching positions over decades are let to someone someone knows. The smartest teacher isn't usually the team leader, it is usually the one with the most seniority in elementary school. If you look at the low ACT scores that will get you into some Colleges or Universities that offers Education as a major and what the average ACT score is for newly admitted students. It is frightening. It is not to say that there are not some over the top brilliant teachers. My kids both had an amazing teacher in first grade that had her masters out of John Hopkins. The other 2 teachers in first grade could not hold a candle to her and her ability to push out strong readers year after year. The other two teachers students were OK but not as good as the fortunate kids to have the best teacher. This is why I like testing though. It isn't just for students, tests demonstrates patterns-which teachers are not effective and we only have 2 years to dump them. Year three with Union rules is harder and beyond that almost impossible. Then you have administrators that hire a twit to teach social studies 'cause the candidate will coach football and he was a great football player in college. Oy.

The best thing that came out of No Child Left Behind is the students going for teaching degrees have to pass a basic skills test to enter a College of Education. It was enlightening to see how many college students failed this test and kept taking it and taking it. The law was revised for a Cap on how many times a student could take the basic skills test. They also changed the test which was not initially done because nobody anticipated the failure rate. We were hoping as a school board that current teachers would have to take the basic skills test too. It didn't happen. Unions are very strong that way.

It will take over another generation to filter through the basic skills test in education. A rough indicator is anyone under 30 has taken and the basic skills test. (this of course doesn't account for older adults going back to college for a teaching degree.) And it isn't to say by any means a chunk of the teachers out there wouldn't have also passed the BST, but at least by the time my Grandchildren that don't exist yet, reach high school, there will be a minimum cut off for teachers nationwide. It will also eliminate some of these colleges with low ACT requirements to no ACT minimums whatsoever from pumping out teachers. Their Education degree graduation rates plummet, transfer to a different major. Over time this should shrink the pool and in the end have a larger pool of highly qualified teachers from higher ranking universities.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom