The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

See I love walking. When the weather is nice I walk all sorts of Riverwalks in multiple counties. I walk lots of preserves. I by my own definition put hiking into a different category. Once the walk becomes demanding I am out especially if it has anything to do with rocks or needing to use both my legs and arms...well I'm out then.

I can see all the critters and pretty scenery, just on a walk through flatter slopey trails.

Yep, walking, hiking, and climbing are three separate categories, to me anyway.
Walking is self-explanatory, hiking involves considerably more effort, and climbing involves ropes, chocks, carabiners, etc. I've done my share of each. :)

Goofyernmost

donaldtoo

I also love walking. It just depends upon my mood and how much time I have to pursue either activity. The only thing I actually hate is running, or even jogging. I can walk for miles; but unless I'm late for something, I refuse to run even 10 feet! :happy:

I hear that. Although, I used to like running for the sake of running when I was a kid, as I approached my teen years I much preferred participating in other sports where running just happened to be a part of the game. ;)

donaldtoo

Tomorrow, I take my sister out to lunch for her (early) birthday celebration. One of her interests is Ireland, and she also enjoys Irish cooking. So I researched around, and found a good restaurant in Boston with some traditional Irish favorites, and it's nicely decorated for the holidays. I was psyched. :)

Called her on the phone the other night, to let her know when we'd meet each other at the train station on Saturday. She was excited about going to lunch and said, "I'm really looking forward to this. Are we going out for Chinese??!!" :(

Irenese, perhaps? Hot and sour stew, maybe...? o_O ;) :)

StarWarsGirl

Long day. So frustrated with common core curricula!

Too all the parents out there who can no longer help their children with their math

10675806_10152819687942641_7937643925784902197_n.jpg
I help my brother with his math homework on a regular basis because of common core. He's in prealgebra, so with me having more recently taken a bunch of algebra (and doing well at it I might add; just not stat, though I would have done better with a decent professor at that!) I understand it even with the common core cr*p in there.

Sometimes I just show him how to do it the way I learned it, and then show him how to fill in what common core wants him to do. And they make these all word problems. For kids who struggle with language. As far as I'm concerned, special ed should be exempt from common core.

I don't get it. At my high school, 88% of students take at least one AP before graduating. 90% of those AP scores were 3 or above (out of 5, for those that don't know; 3 is passing and may earn some college credit), and out my graduating class, we had several who went on to Ivy League schools, a lot like me who were offered a lot of scholarship money, and 95% of the class went on to go to college. In Baltimore County, several high schools were in the top 500 schools in the country. Clearly, something was working with that curriculum. So what should they do? Throw it out completely. Yeah, makes perfect sense.

Sorry for the rant, but it just flabbergasts me.

FutureCEO

I help my brother with his math homework on a regular basis because of common core. He's in prealgebra, so with me having more recently taken a bunch of algebra (and doing well at it I might add; just not stat, though I would have done better with a decent professor at that!) I understand it even with the common core cr*p in there.

Sometimes I just show him how to do it the way I learned it, and then show him how to fill in what common core wants him to do. And they make these all word problems. For kids who struggle with language. As far as I'm concerned, special ed should be exempt from common core.

I don't get it. At my high school, 88% of students take at least one AP before graduating. 90% of those AP scores were 3 or above (out of 5, for those that don't know; 3 is passing and may earn some college credit), and out my graduating class, we had several who went on to Ivy League schools, a lot like me who were offered a lot of scholarship money, and 95% of the class went on to go to college. In Baltimore County, several high schools were in the top 500 schools in the country. Clearly, something was working with that curriculum. So what should they do? Throw it out completely. Yeah, makes perfect sense.

Kids today have it much harder in schools. They focus more on common core and testing than things they actually need to learn.

FutureCEO

Is it season two? I loved the first season.

Yes. Season 2 though I'm not sure how that's going to work out. From the trailer, they are in the same town. I think it should have been a different town or city every season. The first season was amazing. Look forward to the second one. Plus Eve Myles is a new cast.

donaldtoo

I ordered myself (and one for my daughter too of course) my first Christmas present. :geek: The Disney store site had Animator dolls on sale for $15. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to buy the one I wanted while on trips but didn't want to pay $25. (I even picked it carried and bought it but talked myself out of it....twice.:facepalm:) Ornaments were also on sale so I got some of those too.

All total one Snow White and one Belle doll then the ornaments are Minnie (with Figaro), Rapunzel (with Pascal), and Jasmine (with Genie's lamp). Merry Disney Christmas. :) Our tree is 99% decorated with animation ornaments (not just Disney) and that random 1% are those homemade ornaments from school, etc.

Very nice! :)

And, oh my. Bringin' back some serious Disney Store CM memories...! :)
In the run up to Christmas, we got shipment after shipment of Animator Dolls. We would get so many, that there wasn't nearly enough room for all of them on the shelves in the back room, so we had to leave the rest in their boxes on the floor stacked against the wall. Woof, it got crowded back there... :confused:

11881350345_13d54dd40a.jpg

donaldtoo

I feel so blessed to work in this unit. Anyone who says babies are not born with their personalities just has to see these little ones. You got your quiet ones, your cranky ones, etc.

Again, thank you! :)

And, oh yes. No joke, the nurses used to jockey to take care of DS in the NICU. He was so tiny and feisty, and they loved him. Our favorite nurse, and the one that somehow got him most of the time ;), became the head of the NICU a few years later. :)

StarWarsGirl

Hmmm...Business Law test allows an hour for 25 questions, open note, allows for multiple attempts, after which it shows you the answers, and I only need a 71 on it to get an A for the semester in the class.

Yup, I can do this
Okay, 100% on my business law test (ya know, the second time after it showed me all of the answers...). A in the class.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.

I gave you a sympathy like, as I appreciate the effort that went into that post; but girl, I did not understand one word!
Heck, I even Googled "common core". No help. Must be the Canadian in me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom