The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Drive bye Part 2

Not so good K-Cup coffees

f044b6af3cdf6ad5fda66dcea8a1242cc86fef33.jpg

In selecting our cups, we wanted to get the full spectrum of the Keurig experience, so we picked a grab bag of different brands, roast levels, and flavors. And to make sure we didn’t miss any popular brands, we sorted through several online shops and picked the best sellers.

We brewed each cup on the middle setting using very fancy water from Cuvée’s parallel-activated, carbon-filtered OptiPure system. The tasting was done blindly in rounds of six, with Lorenzo marking his favorites from each round and then returning to compare them at the end to create a master ranking.

Read on to follow us down this massive K-hole.

2d43c7d8d034ce3a1da4bf5c37f64e801194948e.jpg

23. Van Houtte Costa Rica

Lorenzo reflexively spit this coffee out.

22. Timothy’s Rainforest Espresso

"Really, really dark. The darkest. There is a little sweetness, but it’s like chewing on roasted barley."

f64fcc5178ec6deb8b7d3f0f5a72a3f1e7c71284.jpg

21. Barista Prima House Blend

"Bitter, overly roasty, hints of paper. Tastes like coffee at Grandpa’s."

20. Wolfgang Puck Jamaica Me Crazy

"Just like buttered rum. Or walking into a kitschy Christmas shop."

19. Gloria Jean’s Butter Toffee

"The overwhelming flavors are chemical and alcohol, like Yukon Jack whiskey."

446221c8b2910e83e0b12ef0f6082117f767d211.jpg

18. Tully’s Italian Roast

"Very dark. I’m getting mostly smoke and ash."

17. Tim Hortons Arabica

"Burnt caramels. But as it cooled it tasted just like chicken-flavored ramen noodles."

16. Donut House

"Peanut shell."

More: Every Single Meaningful Cereal Ever, Ranked

bb20c7fc1f7e2f07955f3511de692d2f474d1baf.jpg

15. Caribou Blend

"Astringent and extremely bitter."

14. Green Mountain Pumpkin Spice

"Cinnamon is the main flavor note. It tastes like a Hobby Lobby."

13. Starbucks Pike Place

"Overly roasted."

30af802006eb85e0aab48cbae3394ff3b3fc96c7.jpg

12. Barrie House Donut Shop

"Tastes like airplane coffee. Super flat, lots of bitterness. Styrofoam peanuts."

11. Diedrich French Roast

"Low acidity, very darkly roasted. Not too bad, but unspectacular."

10. Coffee People Jet Fuel

"Cigar-smokey, but there is some arabica sweetness. Not a bad choice if you’re into darker roasts, and actually keeps some complexity as it cools."

afd31498a21f8df2cbd29544aac499f7e30e15b2.jpg

9. Café Escapes Café Caramel

"Look at that color. It tastes nothing like coffee. But I kind of like it because it reminds me of Werther’s Originals and the type of milky, caramel drinks that I served when I first got into coffee."

8. Folgers Classic Roast

"Very weird acidity. Tastes like low-quality coffee, roasted super flat, but not totally unpleasant."

7. Starbucks Caramel

"By far the best flavored coffee. It’s saccharine, but really light and the flavor isn’t too overwhelming."

128a5839da83072c99a1ad52471f35854c71afbb.jpg

6. Dunkin’ Donuts Original

"Hotel airpot coffee, like from a Best Western. Totally drinkable with cream and sugar, but develops a medicinal quality as it cools."

Credit: story and all images by Dan Gentile

StarWarsGirl

Good news and bad news.

Bad news: My laptop didn't arrive early.

Good news: It will arrive on time.

My mom and I were watching Big Bang Theory today, the episode where Sheldon can't decide whether to get the PS4 or X-Box One, and I said to my mom, "Is this what I sound like when I'm talking about laptops?" She just nodded...

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

All I know is that I did fine while we were talking about "eating gum off the sidewalk", "always barefoot", "chemically sprayed produce", "Barea$$ed toilet seat sitting", "lack of hand washing" and all the rest of it. And then I got to two rather large posts concerning different flavors of coffee and I could just barely restrain my gag reflex. Coffee is disgusting! Let's get back to talking about the life of bacteria to keep this thing civil.

MOXOMUMD

All I know is that I did fine while we were talking about "eating gum off the sidewalk", "always barefoot", "chemically sprayed produce", "Barea$$ed toilet seat sitting", "lack of hand washing" and all the rest of it. And then I got to two rather large posts concerning different flavors of coffee and I could just barely restrain my gag reflex. Coffee is disgusting! Let's get back to talking about the life of bacteria to keep this thing civil.
Coffee--:hungover: "coffee"--:inlove:

Gabe1

Letterman ain't what he used to be.
He's lost his edginess. He's a few years past his "best before date".

He was never the same after his heart attack and then when he had to come clean to stop the blackmail for being icky with the women he came across at work (did I say that nice enough Bill Cosby?) he lost even more of edge.
He became very political to one side and his stuff came off more as a political talk show than comedy.

I liked him in his earlier years. I'm old enough to remember Johnny Carson and I loved him though he was yet another comedian that had wife and other women issues. What the heck. Ferguson, I will miss even less than Letterman and I never had a use for Leno.

Cesar R M

He was never the same after his heart attack and then when he had to come clean to stop the blackmail for being icky with the women he came across at work (did I say that nice enough Bill Cosby?) he lost even more of edge.
He became very political to one side and his stuff came off more as a political talk show than comedy.

I liked him in his earlier years. I'm old enough to remember Johnny Carson and I loved him though he was yet another comedian that had wife and other women issues. What the heck. Ferguson, I will miss even less than Letterman and I never had a use for Leno.
that happens almost always when people get old. They sort of.. instantly lose faith in humanity.
I've seen many people who were lovely that got incredibly bitter and hateful when they got older.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
C'mon, guess which three columns are mine ....

image.jpg

Gabe1

If a Christmas party is held in someone's home, then yes, everyone removes their shoes (most likely boots, in December) as a courtesy to the host.
One or two ladies might carry a pair of slippers in their purse; but nobody goes tromping through their own home, or anyone else's with wet, snowy, salt-laden boots.
I get the distinct feeling that you find this country-bumpkin-ish. So be it.

And don't get me started on weddings and buck & does. By the end of the evening, scarcely a single lady is still sporting footwear.

Socks and shoes. Hate 'em. Always have. Always will.

Yeah, I get hating socks and shoes,my DS hates Tshirts under his dress shirts but he wears one. I hate bras but I wouldn't dream of not wearing one.

We have the same courtesies here however we execute them differently.

We start out little walking to school in boots. Enter school, immediately take off boots in vestibule. Our students are forbidden to go barefoot in school so boots go in tote bag after taking the school shoe of choice out of bag. It was the same when I went to Catholic School, we wore dress shoes and saddle shoes were not good snow shoes. We wore boots and took the shoes out of the bag and and put the boots in the bag. Bag went in front of locker just like my kids did a generation later. They followed the same procedure at Lunch recess.

I worked Downtown for years and we all had to cross the Chicago River from the two train stations to the business district. We all wore boots. You got to the office coat room and removed boots and outerwear and put on shoes. Nobody spent the day barefoot in the office. My DD University she just started to work at outright states shoes must be worn at all times and sundresses must have a sweater or jacket over them to cover shoulders, all in one sentence of handbook. She too will need to remove boots and put on shoes when we get snow.

If I had to go to the docks summer or winter I had to wear steel toe boots, stevedores and longshoremen would not allow anyone without steel toe boots and a hard hat to climb the ship. When I returned to my car I removed boots and put back on regular shoes.

Winter at someones home, including visiting my Moms if I am in boots they come off on seasonal porch and and I put shoes on. We are not hillbillies that track snow through peoples homes, schools or business offices. Me I love love love shoes. I don't think guys lock sharp in a suit walking around in bare foot at a holiday party nor do I think a women's outfit looks complete in a pretty little holiday dress barefoot either. I find shoes very much part of the outfit.

All of our ships came through Sault Ste. Marie and stopped to unload in Montreal. All of the people we dealt with were very professional and lovely, I never found any of the people to be bumpkin-ish. Aside from the language that flipped from French to English when we spoke I didn't find Canadians to be any different in the business world than Americans, the culture seemed very much the same as here. I find a bigger culture gap between the US North and many of the Southern states east of the Mississippi.

JenniferS

Yeah, I get hating socks and shoes,my DS hates Tshirts under his dress shirts but he wears one. I hate bras but I wouldn't dream of not wearing one.

We have the same courtesies here however we execute them differently.

We start out little walking to school in boots. Enter school, immediately take off boots in vestibule. Our students are forbidden to go barefoot in school so boots go in tote bag after taking the school shoe of choice out of bag. It was the same when I went to Catholic School, we wore dress shoes and saddle shoes were not good snow shoes. We wore boots and took the shoes out of the bag and and put the boots in the bag. Bag went in front of locker just like my kids did a generation later. They followed the same procedure at Lunch recess.

I worked Downtown for years and we all had to cross the Chicago River from the two train stations to the business district. We all wore boots. You got to the office coat room and removed boots and outerwear and put on shoes. Nobody spent the day barefoot in the office. My DD University she just started to work at outright states shoes must be worn at all times and sundresses must have a sweater or jacket over them to cover shoulders, all in one sentence of handbook. She too will need to remove boots and put on shoes when we get snow.

If I had to go to the docks summer or winter I had to wear steel toe boots, stevedores and longshoremen would not allow anyone without steel toe boots and a hard hat to climb the ship. When I returned to my car I removed boots and put back on regular shoes.

Winter at someones home, including visiting my Moms if I am in boots they come off on seasonal porch and and I put shoes on. We are not hillbillies that track snow through peoples homes, schools or business offices. Me I love love love shoes. I don't think guys lock sharp in a suit walking around in bare foot at a holiday party nor do I think a women's outfit looks complete in a pretty little holiday dress barefoot either. I find shoes very much part of the outfit.

All of our ships came through Sault Ste. Marie and stopped to unload in Montreal. All of the people we dealt with were very professional and lovely, I never found any of the people to be bumpkin-ish. Aside from the language that flipped from French to English when we spoke I didn't find Canadians to be any different in the business world than Americans, the culture seemed very much the same as here. I find a bigger culture gap between the US North and many of the Southern states east of the Mississippi.
What can I say - things are different here.
I reiterate for the last time, I don't know a single person who wears shoes in their home. Period.

And now, let's talk about me eating gum off the sidewalk when I was a kid. :p

JenniferS

Uh oh, trouble in Paradise ....
Adopted Son and Son #2 had a ginormous fight yesterday, and AS says he is going to the rental office to have his name taken off the lease, as there is no way he's living with that ***-****.

(Those are my *. Nobody had to actually censor me.)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Drive bye

Best rated K-Cup coffees

5. Maxwell House House Blend

"Solid diner coffee."

47b28cf43176b0b3f6dad45c7d0069e89d8f710f.jpg

4. Donut Shop Extra Bold

"A good amount of nuttiness, some sweetness."

3. Green Mountain Nantucket Blend

At first Lorenzo remarked that this was very bland, but on further sips he began to really praise it. “There’s a good level of acidity, the roast is lighter, and it tastes like it’s not a blend, there’s actually some single-origin characteristics.”

2. Eight O’Clock Colombian

"Really well-balanced, solid ‘coffee’ flavor. This would definitely crush in a consumer taste-test."

a1a4438aa92b698b9e3516f6ad10b903077d2ad0.jpg

1. Green Mountain Kenyan AA

"As it’s brewing, you can smell that this is a good coffee from two feet away. It’s clearly the winner. The flavors are lively, it’s got great complexity and finish. I would actually pay for this at a coffee shop."

I think the only one I'd be interested in would probably be the GM Kenyan AA. I love really strong-tasting coffee. The K-cup brew I usually buy is Starbucks French Roast. Another good one is Emeril's Big Easy Bold.

For the most part, I still prefer coffee from my Cuisinart 12-cup drip coffee maker. The Keurig doesn't make bad coffee, but I still think that a good drip pot brew, with Starbucks Sumatra or French Roast, is the best. (I even grind my own beans!) :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom