The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

That happened on my street about 8 months ago. A transformer up on the pole went BOOM! and blew up. The electric company workers had to come by an replace it. Those things weigh over 900 pounds! That's why they use a crane truck to hoist them up, while the electric worker pushes it into place, and secures it on the pole.

The electrical worker also mentioned to a neighbor, that these used to be better made with (I think he said, copper or something like that to insulate them), but now the electric company only buys some kind of ceramic? or plastic? inside (cheaper, made in China). If it overloads and overheats, a fire starts inside and the transformer goes BOOM and the power goes out! The neighbor didn't get all the exact detailed facts, but he did say that the transformers are going to be blowing up more frequently now, once the older ones need replacing and they use these newer ones. :banghead:

Sounds very similar to when they started replacing copper wiring with aluminum in construction, some years back. It just doesn't hole up nearly as well. Fail.

donaldtoo

The older ones had copper windings, all the manufacturers have gone to using aluminum windings. Most of the time if you overloaded the copper windings, you might get lucky and it would just blow the fuse. You could let it cool down and put a new fuse in and get the lights back on. The aluminum cores are not so forgiving, they tend to burn out & you have to replace the transformer...

Hahaaa...!!! :joyfull: :)

donaldtoo

I agree with you on that.
I honestly groan and facepalm in ANY MOVIE he's in (except where he had to act more decently, like in THE LEGO MOVIE)
In his "normal" movies, he looks way too forced.
But then... its all matter of taste.
I like Monty Python but hate little britain.
Love Leslie Nielsen but hate Will Ferell.

When I first saw "Airplane!" in the theater in '80, my sides were in pain from laughin' so hard...!!!!! :joyfull: Also, it's the only movie I've ever gone back to see the very next night, just 'cause we thought we may have missed a few one-liners. What a HOOT...!!! :)
Leslie Nielsen became one of my favorite comedic heroes that night. :)

StarWarsGirl

In the last 4 years we have had two horrid winters with extreme cold and lots of snow and I walk my Pup generally 2x a day. Trust me, I don't care how Ugly boots are if they are warm and grip. Plus nobody is going to see them besides Walt.
I have pink snow boots. I don't like boots, so I try to get away with not wearing them if I can. Which in MD, unless I'm going out in the snow before they plow, I can get away with. Sneakers or flats for me!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I agree with you on that.
I honestly groan and facepalm in ANY MOVIE he's in (except where he had to act more decently, like in THE LEGO MOVIE)
In his "normal" movies, he looks way too forced.
But then... its all matter of taste.
I like Monty Python but hate little britain.
Love Leslie Nielsen but hate Will Ferell.

I always have the overwhelming desire to slap Will. :angelic:

StarWarsGirl

Got an email from my Accounting professor. Perfect score on my final exam.

church-lady-live-gif.gif

Gabe1

Yes, I bought a pair over 20 years ago that I still have. (since I don't live in the snow belt anymore they don't get much use. Actually none) I know that I didn't pay over $15.00 for the pair. I love it when that stuff becomes a fad and people give up their first born to be "fashionable". :rolleyes::happy:

My Dad said that about Oshkosh work pants. They were strong and reasonable. Fad, cheap and expensive, moved onto Levi's

Gabe1

When I first saw "Airplane!" in the theater in '80, my sides were in pain from laughin' so hard...!!!!! :joyfull: Also, it's the only movie I've ever gone back to see the very next night, just 'cause we thought we may have missed a few one-liners. What a HOOT...!!! :)
Leslie Nielsen became one of my favorite comedic heroes that night. :)

We love Airplane here too!

Gabe1

Hahaaa..!
There's a place called Party Barn Beverages down by the UT campus that you can drive thru for all your adult beverage needs. They'll also deliver kegs, but, nothing less than that. :(
But, there's also several locations of a place called Tiff's Treats that'll deliver cookies and milk. :):)

Insomnia Cookies is where my DD got her deliveries from at college. On her Birthday last year I sent her a dozen and gave the dude a nice tip. They call when they get to the dorm for you to come down and get them and she was confused and the dude said happy birthday, they are paid for and so was the tip! That was her last Birthday at college and the first, all others she was already home for Thanksgiving break.

Gabe1

I hope it didn't scare her. I say that because you said you had to put an end to it.

She is a dweller and it made her sad. She was a very accomplished reader and could articulate well in reports so they kept giving that book to her. I flat out told her teacher nope, pick another book this year.

I also did not send her at 11 to the holocaust museum. They didn't do it when my son was in that grade and while I am all for education I don't necessarily believe all that is really meant for an 11 year old. It would keep. I didn't want to get into it with the staff and curriculum. I signed the permission slip and called her in sick that day. We went to High Tea instead. We learned about England instead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom