The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Kirk Douglas is not dead no matter what People posted online. Oy.

B3vAdAvCYAEaN43.png

Gabe1

Indeed! Or, as my mother used to say about people like that, "She can go pound sand!" (I never quite understood the exact explanation of her words, but I knew it wasn't anything good . . . :eek: )

From UrbanOrgins

"The origin of the expression go pound sand is from a longer expression, not to know (have enough sense to) pound sand down a rathole. Filling rat holes with sand is menial work, and telling someone to pound sand down a hole is like telling them to go fly a kite. The expression dates to at least 1912 and is common in the midwestern United States."

Pretty fitting for this particular SIL.

Gabe1

So my daughter got stuck in the elevator at work transporting a patient. She and this 90 year old were stuck in there for almost an hour. The hospital had to call the fire department because they were stuck between floors. The firefighters impressed my daughter a lot.
She came home and told me she might be interested in becoming a firefighter. I guess it has been something she has been thinking about for awhile. I don't know.

An admirable profession. All of our new hires are now EMT-Firefighters. I wonder if I would sleep well ever again if one of my kids were a firefighter.

Gabe1

We're staying away from HP. My last laptop only lasted 3 years before developing a processing problem (although I turned it on today to retrieve some old files and it still works, but it hasn't been turned on for almost 2 years), and this HP didn't even make it to two years (a fact my parents are complaining to HP about). My brother has a cheap-o Dell laptop that seems to be working just fine. Toshiba I'm not doing because Best Buy doesn't carry them, and I'm planning on buying from them so that we can use the Best Buy card and get the 18 months financing and the points on the My Best Buy Account. Lenovo I've used at school. Very nice computers. And Consumer Reports ranks them right up with Dell. And they make the 2 in 1 computers with the disc drive. I'm rather dependent on my disc drive.

I refuse to do a Mac. Way out of my price range, and they confuse me. For a Windows computer, if something goes wrong with it, I know exactly what to do. Macs...I wouldn't have a clue. Besides, I've got a lot of programs that are built for Windows. I'd have to repurchase Office too. And there was one day that I tried to operate a Mac in one of my classes...and it didn't go well. Apple is a good brand, but I want a PC.

I guess it depends on the use of laptop when determining their life cycle. Our school district deems 3 year and gone. Desk Tops 5 years and out. My DS has an HP that is like new bought in 2011 after graduation, used mostly for Netflix yet could use a new iPhone each year cause he is always playing with it. DD only got 2 bad years out of her Dell, no issues with her 2 year old Mac. She uses her laptops a great deal. My old Dell is 7 years old and had issues from day one.

SagamoreBeach

Oh, Happy Thanksgiving to you, too! I'm sure that assisting someone after an operation like that must have its challenging moments, but each day will get a little bit better (for both of you). We're glad you stopped in, and again, I wish you a happy holiday with lots of good things to eat! :hungry:

Thank you!
We had a very nice Thanksgiving. I made a huge dinner - which was nice. We usually volunteer at our church and put on a Community Thanksgiving Feast. So, it was nice to be home and have our own holiday.
I work in a rehab facility, we do close to a thousand admissions a year. I so recommend that people take advantage of going to a rehab facility after joint replacement. I can't imagine anyone going through this living alone. I took a week off to help and now I need a week off to rest!
-T

donaldtoo

Indeed! Or, as my mother used to say about people like that, "She can go pound sand!" (I never quite understood the exact explanation of her words, but I knew it wasn't anything good . . . :eek: )

Too funny...!!! :joyfull:
I spent a short time deciding whether to use the sand one or the dig a hole one! :)
I use them interchangeably, but, this time I felt it just seemed more appropriate for SIL to go dig the hole...! :D ;) :)

Gabe1

In my school board packet from the social workers report. My comment (to my computer) was Duh!

People with low self-esteem are 80% more likely to criticize others, put them down and harass in order to make themselves feel better about themselves.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
I saw this on the news this morning. How awful...they wrote that article a few months ago in anticipation of his death.
-T
It's actually a very common practice for media outlets to have obits for celebrities and high profile politicians and newsmakers pre-written, wherein they only need to plug in the date and cause of death.
Sadly, this is not the first time an obit was mistakenly published too early.
Let's call it a "trailer", shall we?

I mean, seriously, Kirk Douglas is just a few weeks shy of 98. It is more likely than not that this obit will be published (correctly this time) in the coming year.

On a related note, I can't believe Zsa Zsa is still kicking.

donaldtoo

There have been a few references over the past few days to the PeopleMover. Can I tell you how much I love that ride? In WDW, it first began operating in 1975, as the WEDway PeopleMover; and then in 1994 through 2009, was referred to as the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. In 2010, it was renamed (again) as the Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover.

All I know is whatever they want to call it, it's one of the most perfect, classic rides since the 70s. It's pleasant, relaxing, you get a nice breeze, the views are great, and it lasts long enough to really enjoy the experience. (I think i liked the actual narration best when it was the Tomorrowland Transit Authority.)

So, there you have it. MinnieM123's tribute to the PeopleMover! :happy:

Love your tribute, and the ride! :)
It always makes me feel like I'm living a small part of Walt's dream of the future.
His original vision for Epcot was to have, essentially, a layered transportation system. Basically, commercial freight and delivery on the lowest level, automobile traffic on the next level up. Then, pedestrians at street level, People Movers just above that, and then the monorails on the highest level.
Cool stuff! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom