The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Those are my thoughts exactly. I hate funerals. You come into the world, screaming and kicking, I want to go out quietly. My personal feelings were to have my ashes scattered in the Rocky Mountain park. With someone reading the 23 Psalm.

That's a beautiful sentiment.

With my Catholic background, one of my brothers (if he outlives me) can still have a mass said for me, after the fact. You see that's why the church has finally recognized the direct cremation process now, because families are spread all over the country and world, and many can't afford the travel, and/or expensive traditional funeral home & burial procedures. So I told my brother (the only one who still practices the religion in my family) that he could arrange for a mass at a convenient point (for him), after the fact. He understood. Said he was pondering the same type of scenario for himself, but wanted to think about it a bit more.

What started all my thinking on this subject (a few months ago, actually), was a request from the sr. leadership at my hospital for absolutely everyone, to have a family discussion before a crisis hits. Time and again, the clinicians and social workers see families totally unprepared for when a relative passes away, and all heck breaks loose . . . Nobody wants to talk about this stuff ahead of the fact, but if families get it out in the open, during a neutral time, it can really help to have a plan when the inevitable arrives.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
evoo makes me think of Rachael Ray. I don't watch her show but I have a few of her cookbooks.

I seriously never heard the expression, evoo, until I read it from @figmentfan423 the other day. She's an advanced cook, so I thought evoo was something fancy! :p Now, I'm not a total hick--I have heard of plain ol' olive oil and sometimes even cook with it. :happy: (That's pooo to all you connoisseurs out there! :hilarious: )

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So I called my phone yesterday from another phone and it took 6 rings to get to voicemail. Is there a way to reduce it to 4 rings before voicemail?

Hmmm . . . o_O Well, I was thinking . . . maybe if you answered your second phone by the 4th ring, and said "hello" to yourself, then there wouldn't even be any reason to leave a message, right? ;) :D (I know, I know . . . no help . . .) :cautious:

Goofyernmost

With my Catholic background, one of my brothers (if he outlives me) can still have a mass said for me, after the fact. You see that's why the church has finally recognized the direct cremation process now, because families are spread all over the country and world, and many can't afford the travel, and/or expensive traditional funeral home & burial procedures. So I told my brother (the only one who still practices the religion in my family) that he could arrange for a mass at a convenient point (for him), after the fact. He understood. Said he was pondering the same type of scenario for himself, but wanted to think about it a bit more.

What started all my thinking on this subject (a few months ago, actually), was a request from the sr. leadership at my hospital for absolutely everyone, to have a family discussion before a crisis hits. Time and again, the clinicians and social workers see families totally unprepared for when a relative passes away, and all heck breaks loose . . . Nobody wants to talk about this stuff ahead of the fact, but if families get it out in the open, during a neutral time, it can really help to have a plan when the inevitable arrives.
I gave that more thought 10 years ago then I do now. I had mentioned cremation and ashes being spread, but, have now just backed down to just the cremation part. I honestly do not have any preference about what happens after that. I hate to leave it up to my daughters, but, I don't know what to tell them. I was raised Catholic, but, haven't really participated much since before I was in the service. Now that I am divorced, I don't really qualify as "catholic" so it's sort of a no mans land for me. I was just a "proxy" Godparent for my granddaughter a week ago and I spent the whole time listening for timbers to crack in the church and the entire thing to come crashing down on all of us due to my presence.:jawdrop:

I told them they could build a nice little monument for me on one of their fireplace mantels, but, that seemed a little morbid. The fact of the matter is... I don't really care one way of the other. Dig a hole in the backyard, one of those nifty little burial lockers that you see in different places, whatever. My mother, before she died suggested that if I was going to be cremated that they could bury me on top of either my Mother or my Father, but, something about that seems weird. I guess if that happens, I won't really care about that either.

So as in life, my death will hold the same uncertainty. I never knew what I wanted to do with my life, so, not knowing what to do with my death will be true to character.

Last edited:

catmom46

I gave that more thought 10 years ago then I do now. I had mentioned cremation and ashes being spread, but, have now just backed down to just the cremation part. I honestly do not have any preference about what happens after that. I hate to leave it up to my daughters, but, I don't know what to tell them. I was raised Catholic, but, haven't really participated much since before I was in the service. Now that I am divorced, I don't really qualify as "catholic" so it's sort of a no mans land for me. I was just a "proxy" Godparent for my granddaughter a week ago and I spent the whole time listening for timbers to crack in the church and the entire thing to come crashing down on all of us due to my presence.:jawdrop:

I told them they could build a nice little monument for me on one of their fireplace mantels, but, that seemed a little morbid. The fact of the matter is... I don't really care one way of the other. Dig a hole in the backyard, one of those nifty little burial lockers that you see in different places, whatever. My mother, before she died suggested that if I was going to be cremated that they could bury me on top of either my Mother or my Father, but, something about that seem weird. I guess if that happens, I won't really care about that either.

So as in life, my death will hold the same uncertainty. I never knew what I wanted to do with my life, so, not knowing what to do with my death will be true to character.

For some reason "monument" and "mantel" made the word "taxidermy" pop into my head. :eek:

betty rose

I thought you said that you lived in the high desert! Rain and desert do not go together do they? Actually we haven't had much here in the last three weeks or so. No one is panicked yet, but, I'm expecting it any time now.
I do live in the high desert, but the smoke is causing hubby and I to have multiple issues with asthma. I would like just a little rain to clear out the smoke and pollen. It won't happen. But, I would like it!

betty rose

I think so too, I've had this plan for a long time, as our vacations, in Colorado were the best, even when we didn't live here. DD loved the camping trips for years too. She has moved on to Disney, for her remains. I'm torn, because you have feelings for all your family. I'm just glad that people's ashes can be "spread about". Life can get complicated as the end approaches. :cautious:

Songbird76

My mom had her funeral all planned out. She had the hymns picked out, she told us who she wanted to officiate, what to put in the program, etc. All we had to do was relay it to the funeral home and arrange for the pastor to fly in . (Husband of one of her life long friends since elementary school) It made it so much easier on us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom