The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

Never having read any books about Disney, I watched with fascination of how Walt came to be this wonderful creator. His life, however seemed to be plagued by his own personal demons. I think that is common for really creative people. Surprised me that he had no personal friends. He always came across as a very likeable and approachable person. I loved hearing that the brother's were so different, with Roy's feet on the ground. Interesting portrayal of both brother's. No criticism of either brother, they were who they were.
I agree, the show did a very good job of showcasing both sides of Walt. Any real person has ups and downs, good and bad. He was a very driven person and because of that he was stubborn and tunnel visioned about what he wanted and what he demanded. If he hadn't been who he was we wouldn't have all those great memories from our childhood. Even his bad wasn't evil, just very useful in accomplishing what he was dreaming about doing. It was also good that they spent some time on his failures, which were as plentiful as his achievements. It's important to understand that those failures only charged up his determination to do bigger and better things.

I have read a number of books on Walt's life and the show left out a lot of details that might have been even more damaging to the image that we all have of Walt. I don't really care what his personality was. Whatever it was, it was driven by the times he lived in and the challenges that he faced. If I want to understand what I admire about the man all I have to do is look at his peripheral influence. We never really think about it, but, what would Orlando be right now if Walt Disney never existed or didn't more forward on his inner dreams. I'll tell you, for good or bad, Orlando would still be a farming community that no one ever went too because it wasn't along the ocean. That entire place, for the most part, exists because of one man's dream. We like to think that his entire creation exists within the property lines of WDW. Although he didn't personally plan it or build it doesn't mean it didn't happen because he was there. Think of that ability to influence. Whether or not the reality of his dream ever actually happened, is of no real consequence. What did result is more then any of us will ever accomplish in two lifetimes, much less a mere 65 years.

betty rose

@Gabe1 , how long after the summer do you continue to barbecue outdoors? I have enough charcoal to last through the end of this month, and that's probably it. Note: Last year I barbecued into October, but I lost daylight around 7, 7:30 p.m., and I couldn't see if the food was cooked! So I had to keep bringing it in and out of the back door to the kitchen area to check it! Ha! That convinced me it was time to put away the barbecue for the season. :p

Meanwhile, doggie Jack will be devastated once I pull the plug on outdoor barbecuing. You see, every time I open that back door (even if I'm just tossing something into the garbage can, at 5 AM) he comes bolting to the door, in anticipation of delicious barbecued food. Aside of his favorite hobby of hunting flies this summer, his other favorite hobby is scouting out what's cookin' (for him . . .) on the outdoor barbecue. (Open door, burgers, chicken or ribs come in.) He thinks it's magic. :rolleyes:
I love a dog with a magical outlook on life.

betty rose

We are staying in a hotel for a weekend. That's as far as I got so far. :joyfull: We may take a ride on the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad, do the corn maze at the pumpkin patch, mini-golf, picnic on Lake Erie, the list goes on. My niece's boyfriend works at an orchard that gives tours so that's an option. My nephew is a supervisor for the Cleveland MetroParks so we may see what activities he can get us.

When I finally get every planned and we go I'll take some pics. :)
Have a wonderful time, you have so many options, it must be hard to choose.

MOXOMUMD

Blizzard Beach! Anyone in? We can meet at Snow Stormers to give @MinnieM123 a taste of winter. Don't forget to grab a mat.

COZkFxrWUAQysCm.jpg
I'm in for BB but I'll wave to you guys on the ride. Me and slides don't mix.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom