The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Cesar R M

Well, we were supposed to go up to my grandmother's today. But my almost-99-year-old step-grandfather thought that moving a tractor out of the shed by himself was a decent idea. My uncle, who owns a custom cabinetry company and who moves heavy stuff all of the time, was up there and could have easily done it himself, but step-grandfather decided to do it himself and told no one until my grandmother found him laying in the yard. They are hoping that it's just a bad sprain. But my grandmother now has to take him to the emergency room. Ugh.
noone likes to feel useless, specially after being a "big thing" during their hay day.

Cesar R M

Since I'm not there looking at your computer, I can't say for certain, but I would uninstall Kaspersky and see what happens. My father had it on his desktop for a while. I wasn't a fan of it then because I had it on my laptop for a while, and it slowed things down, but when I told him that, he basically told me to quit being a know-it-all about computers; that he'd been using one for much longer than me and ergo knew better. Then, he began having trouble with his desktop running really slowly and crashing. And then he called me in to figure it out. I uninstalled Kaspersky, ran Windows Defender (free antivirus software), found and cleared some viruses that Kaspersky had missed, and then had Kaspersky refund him the money for his subscription. I don't think that anti-virus programs are worth it, not when you have Windows Defender, which does exactly the same thing without slowing your computer down, for free. Now I'm not saying this is 100% what's happening with your computer, but uninstalling it is at least something you can try. You can always reinstall it if it turns out to be something different.
Meh, I'm still with ESET NOD32.
the only program that still seems to do the job properly.
Every antivirus always went to an era of "bloated kindergarden" version.

Norton and McAfee were their best on their time..
Then they decided to cater to the "elderly" that bought premade Dell computers.
They had to dumb down and change everything in a super pre-school graphics way..
It was so bad that even uninstalling them could destroy your computer.
now... almost nobody uses Norton or McAfee (only the second because it comes with almost every single installed computer)

I suppose Kapersky was in the same "season" when you had it. It used to be very good.

Cesar R M

MinnieM123

Premium Member
View attachment 109360

2 days until Labor Day. :)

I think I already started Labor Day today--began fall cleaning. Spent about 3 hours deep cleaning the kitchen, organizing, moving furniture, washing floor, washing a few pots and pans, decalcifying 3 coffee makers, washing windows, etc. I haven't even started cleaning the refrigerator or the oven yet. I'll do those tomorrow. I think I work harder at home than at work. ;)

StarWarsGirl

Hope he's OK! I can imagine it's tough getting older but still wanting to be able to do stuff on your own. At some point, though, you have to come to terms that you can't. :(
I do feel for him. I mean, in the past year, he's had to give up his bike riding, which he loved, his driving (they sold his car to my cousin; the fact that it went to family was the only reason he was willing to give it up) he's restricted on the yard work to when my grandmother is home, and he's had this thing on his neck that doctors can't figure out what it is, although he's been in physical therapy and what they're doing is helping him. I'm sure he doesn't like feeling useless, but he's been so helpful to everyone that now it's time for him to let someone else take care of him.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
11949302_966265633440935_3434041086256667541_n.jpg

Ha ha ha!!! This is one of the best pictures with captions that you've ever posted!!!! :joyfull:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Not a good week for electronics. First, my phone has been acting freaky by deleting my contacts, quite randomly, to the point where I have to go into backup to restore them two to three times a day. They told me it was Clouds fault. I don't care whose fault it is... fix it!

Then my Computer decided that it was time to go to that big computer storeroom in the sky, I guess. Maybe it's fixable, I have informed my related by blood computer experts and we are going to see if it's fixable. In the meantime, I limit my usage to "Safe Mode" because otherwise everything just freezes up.

So because I have been forced to cut down on my computer stupor, I thought well, hey, why not watch a few DVD's that I hadn't seen in awhile. Wanna guess what happened there? Of course, the DVD player has also died, probably out of neglect.

On top of that I don't even want to talk about what Wall Street has been doing to ruin my retirement. So, I'm not going to talk about that. I'm thinking that this was not a good year for me to let my sister, to talk me into that trip to Europe.

Anyway, that's the end of my Saturday mid-day whining. No guarantee that it won't come back up later in the day though. :banghead:

I'm currently using Safe Mode on a limited basis until we can figure this out.

Sorry to hear about all your electronics pulling a tag-team Frankenstein on you. Isn't that always the way--once one thing goes on the fritz, other things follow. It's like dominoes. Hate it when that happens. Also, perhaps take a break for a few days, from any news about the financial markets. They'll start to rebound again, but not overnight. If you try to deal with everything at once, it feels overwhelming. I think you need a bowl of ice cream. :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
My mom made a lemon meringue pie once and thought the salt said tablespoons instead of teaspoons. Nasty!
As for coffee, I don't drink it and my husband really either, but it's expected that it will be served here when someone comes to your home. So, we do have a coffee machine and I watched my MIL make it and wrote it down and taped it too the front of the machine, but somehow, I don't know how, but the next time we made coffee, we followed the directions I wrote down and the amount of coffee was DOUBLE what it should have been and no one could drink it.

:hilarious:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Well, we were supposed to go up to my grandmother's today. But my almost-99-year-old step-grandfather thought that moving a tractor out of the shed by himself was a decent idea. My uncle, who owns a custom cabinetry company and who moves heavy stuff all of the time, was up there and could have easily done it himself, but step-grandfather decided to do it himself and told no one until my grandmother found him laying in the yard. They are hoping that it's just a bad sprain. But my grandmother now has to take him to the emergency room. Ugh.

Oh dear . . . I hope he'll be o.k.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
In other news.. they blamed Mexican tomatoes a few years ago (and it was actually a factory in the US that was contaminated)
now they are blaming Mexican cucumbers.. really?

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/04/health/arizona-salmonella-outbreak/index.html

Contaminated fruit and veggies can come from different areas, whether from here in the U.S., or from Mexico or Canada. The issue with the tomatoes may not have come from Mexico a few years ago, and that's good they found the correct source, finally.

However, the cucumbers may have come from an entirely different region or farm in Mexico, and there could still be a chance that the salmonella came from there this time. We've had a number of cases in the U.S. where fruits and vegetables grown in the USA, were responsible for making some people ill. Oddly enough, one of the biggest culprits was sprouts, of all things. Hasn't happened for a few years, but I do recall some years ago that it happened about 3 times in just over a year--all different areas and different farms.

FutureCEO

Meh, I'm still with ESET NOD32.
the only program that still seems to do the job properly.
Every antivirus always went to an era of "bloated kindergarden" version.

Norton and McAfee were their best on their time..
Then they decided to cater to the "elderly" that bought premade Dell computers.
They had to dumb down and change everything in a super pre-school graphics way..
It was so bad that even uninstalling them could destroy your computer.
now... almost nobody uses Norton or McAfee (only the second because it comes with almost every single installed computer)

I suppose Kapersky was in the same "season" when you had it. It used to be very good.

do you suggest an anti virus for a phone?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom