The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Some expensive cucumbers were confiscated at the border checkpoint in Pharr TX this year. $5.1M of meth mixed in with cucumbers was caught by Border Patrol.
Um, okay . . .

(The article I referenced was not related with that sort of incident. The CDC was bringing to people's attention that there was a salmonella outbreak in cucumbers grown from a specific area, and shipped out to 31 states.)

Lilofan

Um, okay . . .

(The article I referenced was not related with that sort of incident. The CDC was bringing to people's attention that there was a salmonella outbreak in cucumbers grown from a specific area, and shipped out to 31 states.)
Just shared another cucumber info but will have to hold off on buying one of my favorite veggies cucumber.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Cucumber recall -- 31 states:

Yikes, that is a lot of states impacted, especially at a time of year when people like making salads and pickles with them more than usual. I was going to buy cucumbers at the farmers market yesterday but I didn't feel like making anything with them, instead I bought tomatoes and made spaghetti sauce which is more work than making something with cukes.

Goofyernmost

I'm glad things went well. It sounds like a it was a high tech surgery, it is amazing what they can do nowadays (geez that makes me sound like a old lady). I hope recovery continues to go well.
The thing about spines is that it requires some really sophisticated brains and equipment. My lower back, for example. has three vertebrae in a row that need to be fused but it is a very dangerous surgery if done old school, however doing a lot of internet searches I discover a new procedure that recently started to become wider know. Also with that type of surgery I would lose a whole lot of ability to move my upper body to the right or left. The new procedure is laparoscopic surgery done with a new tool that will cut through bone and clean up the area so the pressure from the stenosis is cleared up and the tool is designed to not affect that actual nerve bundle that runs in the center of the spine. Accidental contact of the spinal cord with the old bone shaping tools was the main cause for things going dreadfully wrong where as this new tool ends that problem.

Here's the deal with my situation. The VA Hospital in Durham (14 miles away) is overseen and staffed by Doctors that work in the hospital across the road from the VA. That hospital is the Duke University Hospital. They are world renowned for their medical program and attending Doctors but that type of surgery is in all likelihood a problem for more than one reason. Number one would be cost. I had a Coronary MRI there and the VA was billed $12,000 for that less than hour long procedure. (of course the VA only paid about 10% of that). Can you imagine what a surgery for my situation would run? The along with that, because of the equipment involved and the surgeons that actually know how to work it, it would have to be done at Duke Hospital and it might break the government spending limit for those of us that are, at best, a young old, but still make it a temporary fix and before to long we are taking that long awaited dirt nap. Life very often is not fair.

The VA has taken really good care of me over the years and have saved me a lot of money (it's almost like living in Canada ;)). But like Canada it comes with some limitations and one of them is age and mobility or current quality of life. The don't advertise it, but there are committees that make the decision about if a person is well enough for high end surgeries and care. Just the way it is. We all risked our lives while in the military, but all of us still around didn't give our lives for those causes. So they do the best they can and I want to tell you that I have many problems that are being followed very closely and well, and the surgeries and hospital stays have been if not pleasant it wasn't because of the nursing and doctor staff. All have been great and always made me feel like I was important.

Now BACK to the topic of backs!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
The thing about spines is that it requires some really sophisticated brains and equipment. My lower back, for example. has three vertebrae in a row that need to be fused but it is a very dangerous surgery if done old school, however doing a lot of internet searches I discover a new procedure that recently started to become wider know. Also with that type of surgery I would lose a whole lot of ability to move my upper body to the right or left. The new procedure is laparoscopic surgery done with a new tool that will cut through bone and clean up the area so the pressure from the stenosis is cleared up and the tool is designed to not affect that actual nerve bundle that runs in the center of the spine. Accidental contact of the spinal cord with the old bone shaping tools was the main cause for things going dreadfully wrong where as this new tool ends that problem.

Here's the deal with my situation. The VA Hospital in Durham (14 miles away) is overseen and staffed by Doctors that work in the hospital across the road from the VA. That hospital is the Duke University Hospital. They are world renowned for their medical program and attending Doctors but that type of surgery is in all likelihood a problem for more than one reason. Number one would be cost. I had a Coronary MRI there and the VA was billed $12,000 for that less than hour long procedure. (of course the VA only paid about 10% of that). Can you imagine what a surgery for my situation would run? The along with that, because of the equipment involved and the surgeons that actually know how to work it, it would have to be done at Duke Hospital and it might break the government spending limit for those of us that are, at best, a young old, but still make it a temporary fix and before to long we are taking that long awaited dirt nap. Life very often is not fair.

The VA has taken really good care of me over the years and have saved me a lot of money (it's almost like living in Canada ;)). But like Canada it comes with some limitations and one of them is age and mobility or current quality of life. The don't advertise it, but there are committees that make the decision about if a person is well enough for high end surgeries and care. Just the way it is. We all risked our lives while in the military, but all of us still around didn't give our lives for those causes. So they do the best they can and I want to tell you that I have many problems that are being followed very closely and well, and the surgeries and hospital stays have been if not pleasant it wasn't because of the nursing and doctor staff. All have been great and always made me feel like I was important.

Veterans deserve every medical compensation that they need. I hate the news stories in which vets have to fight for coverage. My grandpa had shrapnel in his neck from WWII and had to get that looked at often because it was so close to the spine and might shift (it never did). He often talked about how it was hard to get appointments sometimes. The VA paid for his face lift, his tear ducts were blocked and the only thing that would fix it was a face lift. Apparently, the tear duct blockage is hereditary; I'm hoping that I inherited that and insurance will pay for my face lift eventually! :)

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

The new procedure is laparoscopic surgery done with a new tool that will cut through bone and clean up the area so the pressure from the stenosis is cleared up and the tool is designed to not affect that actual nerve bundle that runs in the center of the spine.
Sounds similar to what we are doing. The standard tool has a spinning ball on the end that works like a sanding machine.

The new one, rarely used and not covered by some insurance companies, is more like a chisel the size of a screwdriver, with sonic vibration to clean out the area.

The former requires a laminectomy, which weakens the area and can lead to more surgery. The latter does not. It leaves the vertebrae intact while doing the clearing out of the stenosis. That’s what I’m having done in October.

That’s part of what Brian just had done, but he also had a fusion of the L4 L5.

His incisions are not small because so much got done. I had a peek when the nurse was here today, and the staples form the shape of a backwards “h” which is easily bigger than my hand.

Theoretically, neither of my two should be as painful as his.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
(@donaldtoo ) and anyone else who's interested: Mecum 2024 Car Auctions from Monterey, CA on now and Saturday on MotorTrend Channel. "Live" coverage each day from 1:00 PM (EST) to 5:00 PM (EST). Link below shows all event details for today and tomorrow.

donaldtoo

(@donaldtoo ) and anyone else who's interested: Mecum 2024 Car Auctions from Monterey, CA on now and Saturday on MotorTrend Channel. "Live" coverage each day from 1:00 PM (EST) to 5:00 PM (EST). Link below shows all event details for today and tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up, Minnie…watching now while folding laundry…!!! :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thanks for the heads up, Minnie…watching now while folding laundry…!!! :)
I know there's lots of goodies coming up, but I really like the 1957 Mercedes Benz, 300 SL, Gullwing coupe. Color silver, with red interior (including red plaid seats!).

Bid is still going on, so no final sale yet. (It just left the floor about 5 minutes ago, at the $1 million, 400 thousand bid.)

donaldtoo

I know there's lots of goodies coming up, but I really like the 1957 Mercedes Benz, 300 SL, Gullwing coupe. Color silver, with red interior (including red plaid seats!).

Bid is still going on, so no final sale yet. (It just left the floor about 5 minutes ago, at the $1 million, 400 thousand bid.)

Yep, I saw that…sweeeeeeettt, but that price tag…!!!!! :greedy::greedy::greedy:🤪:hilarious:

donaldtoo

Had to run out for a bit, @MinnieM123, and this was the temp when I did…I had to stand outside my car for about a minute+ to let the heat disperse enough to where I didn’t sear my lungs, and the steering wheel, seat belt buckle, etc., and anything else solid was still on fire…!!!!! 🔥:hilarious:

DD635887-D6F6-43BF-BDA7-AD61B0BD57AE.jpeg

donaldtoo

@MinnieM123 , I finished watching the auction, and then went back to do a bit of “ketchup”, as well…!!! :)

This rare (only 252 were produced from ‘56-‘59) 1959 BMW 507, from what I read, almost bankrupted BMW.
It had an aluminum engine, among other advancements, that drove up production costs.
It retailed for about 11,000 DM, which was about 3X the price of a new Corvette, which had much more horsepower. But, with the low production numbers, it’s extremely collectible these days, of course…look at that price…!!!!! :greedy::hilarious:

116CFF54-B97B-49D7-B087-AA115FA930E2.jpeg

Most of the rest are self-explanatory, and the top sellers are off the charts, but the Porsche in the last pic was the cream-of-the-crop dream back when I was in HS…!!!!! :cool:

EF60642F-0652-454B-99DF-BFC3D65CCC11.jpeg0214559E-A6B5-4C7A-8CCC-FEA1458888F5.jpeg262119EB-A743-4108-979F-5B64B287B743.jpeg0F18D773-BC69-445A-80C7-1FFF57BBCD72.jpegA6880AF3-B4B3-44BE-9908-26959F33CFE9.jpeg67EFF78D-BCD7-4B72-A519-6D2AA7C75ADF.jpegECD33386-8F06-4E11-ACE1-AFDAAEE60D11.jpeg

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I know you’re gone for the day @MinnieM123 , but I’m really curious to see how much that 2006 Ford GT goes for tomorrow…it only has 50 miles on it…!!! :)
The Bid (still) goes on . . . 4:56 AM (EST, today), on the Mecum site. (Note: Condition of sale: has to be an out of state buyer . . . so -- get your bid in, donaldtoo!!) :joyfull:

VERY interesting full page (Link below) on this vehicle. OMG -- check it out!!

Lot F102
2006 Ford GT Heritage Edition (Supercharged 5.4L/550 HP V-8, 121 miles (1 or 343 produced)
Specs, highlights, top to bottom photos, the "story" and equipment !!

Lilofan

The hospital by Duke is well renowned . There is something residents in Canada don’t even think much about of pay out of pocket. With Canadian socialized health care all surgeries out patient and inpatient are covered along with many benefits of universal health care. To have universal health care in America is wishful thinking. There are powerful groups that are biased in these topics that only add to the difficulty of this to ever happen in our lives.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom