The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

Pretty sure people did get dehydrated/heat sick, but there's more awareness that "hey, this is a thing that happens that we need to watch out for."

Mom had an issue with getting heat sick in Epcot in the 80s. She told the story growing up to reinforce the importance of drinking enough water.
Just adding to this, a couple of years ago on our September trip, Mom wasn't drinking enough and ended up with a UTI. It got so bad that she ended up at urgent care and they very nearly hospitalized her because it was going into her kidneys. They ended up giving her IV fluids, antibiotics through an IV, and then following up with oral antibiotics. So yeah, serious stuff. It won't just ruin your day; it can really damage your organs.

Drink enough water when it's hot, wherever you happen to be.

Goofyernmost

Pretty sure people did get dehydrated/heat sick, but there's more awareness that "hey, this is a thing that happens that we need to watch out for."

Mom had an issue with getting heat sick in Epcot in the 80s. She told the story growing up to reinforce the importance of drinking enough water.
Well to be honest, in the 80's and 90's (early) we only went down there during the kids mid-winter break from school in late February and I feel that I was always smart enough to not even give one moments thought to going in June, July or August. So if there are 9 other months in the year where there is at least a chance that it will not be stifling there was no logical reason to go during hell months in Florida.

My point was that a human being should not have to be reminded from outside sources that they need to hydrate the body. Mine always alerted me by my becoming thirsty. Whenever I or any of the rest of the family felt that need we "bought" a bottle of marvelously cold water from one of the many spots always there in all the parks. Was the cost high, well there also was never a time when the relative cost of anything was not exorbitant in WDW, but I figured that since I was paying in the thousands of dollars for the trip a few more was will worth not having to lug warm water around or find a dining area where I could beg for free stuff. It was a matter of being lazy and pride. It is kind of the same idea as, if you have to ask the how much it costs, you can't afford it.

Last edited:

Songbird76

There has never been a time when the temperatures in Florida in August where not blisteringly hot. That is totally dependable. I've been there in September when it was in the 100's and also recently (2019) when it was just in the low 80's. The rest of the year varies, June, July and August is find a water ride time. Every other month is a gamble. I've gone there mostly in February and the temperatures have fluctuated almost every trip. I have had to the scrape the frost off the windshield in the morning and they were spraying water on the citrus to prevent it from frost to starting the car up early to get the AC to help get the inside cooled before we went out.

Although, it does generally have more warm days then cold ones now, we never used to be aware or concerned about it. The only weather we checked for was rain or hurricanes. Now so much talk about dehydration and so on, something that was never mentioned before, we just drank when we felt thirsty and never had any problem. Yes, we did look for shady areas to sit in, then Disney removed most of the trees and benches and even cut down on the AC. I can remember when they left the doors open to the gift shops and when you walked into them the arctic air blast would hit you strongly. It is warmer but it isn't all that much warmer that it should be affecting anyone. Another thing was we didn't have standby lines out in the open that took forever to get through. They had all kinds of fans and the lines just steadily moved so you progress forward constantly and soon were out of the heat. Places like Disney, with billions of profits need to do something about the heat if they want to keep their "guests" comfortable but that would hurt the bottom line. It is really their responsibility to be sure that people are comfortable. Even if they priced so many of us out, the rich don't tolerate profuse sweating very well either.
Yes, it's always hot, but last August was worse than usual. We have to go at that time of year because of school schedules. Over here, you get major fines if your kids aren't in school when it's in session. You can't pull your kids out for a vacation over here like they do in the states. So the only time we could go to Disney was the end of July/beginning of August, and it had NEVER been that hot before while we were there. And they had extreme weather warnings every day for over a week, so it was definitely worse than usual. It's always been around 100 degrees....usually upper 90s, but this was so much worse. I'd like to go in December sometime when it's not so hot, and celebrate my birthday.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Yes, it's always hot, but last August was worse than usual. We have to go at that time of year because of school schedules. Over here, you get major fines if your kids aren't in school when it's in session. You can't pull your kids out for a vacation over here like they do in the states. So the only time we could go to Disney was the end of July/beginning of August, and it had NEVER been that hot before while we were there. And they had extreme weather warnings every day for over a week, so it was definitely worse than usual. It's always been around 100 degrees....usually upper 90s, but this was so much worse. I'd like to go in December sometime when it's not so hot, and celebrate my birthday.

What are the college breaks like over there? Do they run on semesters like over here? Like when I was in college and still now my niece had almost half of December and almost all of January off. If there was a longer winter/Christmas break maybe you could go with E then. Or when E is established in a job and has time off you two could go at a cooler time of year. December in the Disney parks is lovely.

Lilofan

Well to be honest, in the 80's and 90's (early) we only went down there during the kids mid-winter break from school in late February and I feel that I was always smart enough to not even give one moments thought to going in June, July or August. So if there are 9 other months in the year where there is at least a chance that it will not be stifling there was no logical reason to go during hell months in Florida.

My point was that a human being should not have to be reminded from outside sources that they need to hydrate the body. Mine always alerted me by my becoming thirsty. Whenever I or any of the rest of the family felt that need we "bought" a bottle of marvelously cold water from one of the many spots always there in all the parks. Was the cost high, well there also was never a time when the relative cost of anything was not exorbitant in WDW, but I figured that since I was paying in the thousands of dollars for the trip a few more was will worth not having to lug warm water around or find a dining area where I could beg for free stuff. It was a matter of being lazy and pride. It is kind of the same idea as, if you have to ask the how much it costs, you can't afford it.
I give a lot of credit to the characters in the park. I met one who was in the park on her day off. She advised her job was grueling 30 min on, 30 min off/ repeat etc , off in an ice cold dressing room to recover for her daily shift. I am amazed when we enjoyed the Citizens of Hollywood at DHS. Dressed to the nines, they looked like they did not break much of a sweat.

Songbird76

What are the college breaks like over there? Do they run on semesters like over here? Like when I was in college and still now my niece had almost half of December and almost all of January off. If there was a longer winter/Christmas break maybe you could go with E then. Or when E is established in a job and has time off you two could go at a cooler time of year. December in the Disney parks is lovely.
Honestly, I have NO idea what college breaks are like here. I've kind of had to learn as I go here with education. I was completely confused about how kindergarten works here until my kids were in it. Same thing with going to high school, and then again with choosing a profile. Once the kids are doing it, you find out how it works.

I wanted to go for my 50th birthday in a couple of years, but E won't turn 21 until 6 months after that and I am not a huge drinker, but I want to drink around the world, so it would be nice to be able to share with her. Also, it was kind of hard this last summer...over here, it's so much more relaxed, and I got in trouble at Disney for letting E SMELL my drink. She wasn't drinking it, and I was right there with her...it just seemed a bit over-the-top to get upset about smelling a drink. I get that they can't be thought to be serving minors, but it wasn't even a matter of me letting her taste my drink, let alone that it would look like they served her. Anyway, I'd rather wait until she's legal to drink. Even though neither of us will drink a lot, at least we won't get in trouble, and we are less likely to drink too much if we share things. And we are so used to sharing things everywhere...this last trip, in most places, we ordered one appetizer and one entree to share and then each ordered a dessert to split. And we share a lot when we can't decide between two things. We each order one and then share. It works well for us. But E will also still be in school when she turns 21 and we have no idea what it will be like, if she will have a break or anything. But I really don't want to have to wait 10 years for another trip.

My husband is trying to get me to settle for going to DLP instead of WDW to get my disney fix, but the things that are my favorite things at WDW that keep me coming back are things that DLP doesn't have. The restaurants are a HUGE part of my enjoyment...things like 50s Prime time, or Whispering Canyon with the antics of the servers, or the unique character meals, although they did change my favorite one and you can't meet Cinderella's steps anymore, which is sad. (I think they need to make a Villains character meal, just like they have the princess ones where you meet a lot of princesses....the villains like Gaston, the Evil Queen, the Step sisters...those make some of the best character interactions!! They need to do a meal where you can meet 5 or 6 villains!) But those are unique to WDW and there are always new experiences I want to have, too. Going to DLP just isn't the same. Their POC is far superior, but that's about it. They don't have Soarin', they don't have the fantastic restaurants, they don't have the world showcase or Voices of Liberty (it wouldn't make sense to)...no Carousel of Progress or People mover, which we always do several times because they are favorites. I don't feel like spending that kind of money to go to DLP just to ride POC a few times. The rest of my favorites don't exist at DLP. I dunno...it's not that I don't like DLP, and I would love to go again, but as far as giving me my fix goes, it won't, because it doesn't have the stuff I go to WDW for. My husband seems to think it's just the immersion in a Disney park, but it's not. It's very specific stuff that can only be experienced in one place. It would be like trying to get the feel of Italy by going to Greece. Sure, they are both in the mediterranean, but you can't see Michelangelo's David in Greece. It's a completely different experience, you know?

donaldtoo

They finally delivered MILs powered chair this morning.
It was supposed to be here a month ago, but there were so many SNAFUs, beginning with her doc, that held up the process.
Matt (before I took him to work) and I road tested it, and it’s pretty sweet…!!! 😉

There is more noticeable decline with MIL at this point, and along with everything else, the dexterity in her hands has become pretty bad. She cannot plug in her phone or iPad for charging, we have thick foam that we put around her utensils, we have her phone rigged to more easily manipulate, etc.
She is, beyond completely understandably, very emotional at times, but she Carrie’s on.
Fortunately, since her meds finally got dialed in a while back, she is no longer having episodes in the middle of the night.
She will be going to a facility Tuesday of next week while we are at WDW for a week-ish. We’ll bring her back home when we return.

It is difficult to witness, but at least she is here with family that loves her, and not some place she doesn’t want to spend her last days at.
Her youngest brother died of lung cancer many years ago in his own home (we got there shortly after he passed), and she wants to be at home here with us when she passes.
I’m still here with her all day long, and as I’ve posted many times before, she and I get along well.

Not trying to bring the thread down, but just an update.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
It was supposed to be here a month ago, but there were so many SNAFUs, beginning with her doc, that held up the process.
Matt (before I took him to work) and I road tested it, and it’s pretty sweet…!!! 😉

There is more noticeable decline with MIL at this point, and along with everything else, the dexterity in her hands has become pretty bad. She cannot plug in her phone or iPad for charging, we have thick foam that we put around her utensils, we have her phone rigged to more easily manipulate, etc.
She is, beyond completely understandably, very emotional at times, but she Carrie’s on.
Fortunately, since her meds finally got dialed in a while back, she is no longer having episodes in the middle of the night.
She will be going to a facility Tuesday of next week while we are at WDW for a week-ish. We’ll bring her back home when we return.

It is difficult to witness, but at least she is here with family that loves her, and not some place she doesn’t want to spend her last days at.
Her youngest brother died of lung cancer many years ago in his own home (we got there shortly after he passed), and she wants to be at home here with us when she passes.
I’m still here with her all day long, and as I’ve posted many times before, she and I get along well.

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how things were going the other day and meant to ask.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Honestly, I have NO idea what college breaks are like here. I've kind of had to learn as I go here with education. I was completely confused about how kindergarten works here until my kids were in it. Same thing with going to high school, and then again with choosing a profile. Once the kids are doing it, you find out how it works.

I wanted to go for my 50th birthday in a couple of years, but E won't turn 21 until 6 months after that and I am not a huge drinker, but I want to drink around the world, so it would be nice to be able to share with her. Also, it was kind of hard this last summer...over here, it's so much more relaxed, and I got in trouble at Disney for letting E SMELL my drink. She wasn't drinking it, and I was right there with her...it just seemed a bit over-the-top to get upset about smelling a drink. I get that they can't be thought to be serving minors, but it wasn't even a matter of me letting her taste my drink, let alone that it would look like they served her. Anyway, I'd rather wait until she's legal to drink. Even though neither of us will drink a lot, at least we won't get in trouble, and we are less likely to drink too much if we share things. And we are so used to sharing things everywhere...this last trip, in most places, we ordered one appetizer and one entree to share and then each ordered a dessert to split. And we share a lot when we can't decide between two things. We each order one and then share. It works well for us. But E will also still be in school when she turns 21 and we have no idea what it will be like, if she will have a break or anything. But I really don't want to have to wait 10 years for another trip.

My husband is trying to get me to settle for going to DLP instead of WDW to get my disney fix, but the things that are my favorite things at WDW that keep me coming back are things that DLP doesn't have. The restaurants are a HUGE part of my enjoyment...things like 50s Prime time, or Whispering Canyon with the antics of the servers, or the unique character meals, although they did change my favorite one and you can't meet Cinderella's steps anymore, which is sad. (I think they need to make a Villains character meal, just like they have the princess ones where you meet a lot of princesses....the villains like Gaston, the Evil Queen, the Step sisters...those make some of the best character interactions!! They need to do a meal where you can meet 5 or 6 villains!) But those are unique to WDW and there are always new experiences I want to have, too. Going to DLP just isn't the same. Their POC is far superior, but that's about it. They don't have Soarin', they don't have the fantastic restaurants, they don't have the world showcase or Voices of Liberty (it wouldn't make sense to)...no Carousel of Progress or People mover, which we always do several times because they are favorites. I don't feel like spending that kind of money to go to DLP just to ride POC a few times. The rest of my favorites don't exist at DLP. I dunno...it's not that I don't like DLP, and I would love to go again, but as far as giving me my fix goes, it won't, because it doesn't have the stuff I go to WDW for. My husband seems to think it's just the immersion in a Disney park, but it's not. It's very specific stuff that can only be experienced in one place. It would be like trying to get the feel of Italy by going to Greece. Sure, they are both in the mediterranean, but you can't see Michelangelo's David in Greece. It's a completely different experience, you know?

I understand about wanting to share food and drinks, it makes sense to wait until she has turned 21. I like to share stuff with my husband so I can try more things too, that is the bummer about solo trips. I loved DLP but when you list all the stuff you really want to do at WDW it isn't an equal fix. Although it has the best Big Thunder, but I know you don't like that ride. Have you ever thought about going to Disneyland in California, there are a lot of unique things about it but also some of the same attractions as WDW and great places to eat and even in the summer the weather is more mild than Florida in the summer. It doesn't have Voices of Liberty though.

donaldtoo

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how things were going the other day and meant to ask.

Thank you for your concern…!!! :)
No worries though, as I haven’t been providing frequent updates.
You can, of course, ask any time though.
She’s excited about the new chair, and as soon as Carolyn gets home we’re going to get her in it…Carolyn asked MIL and me to wait…!!! :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
They finally delivered MILs powered chair this morning.

I think that all of you have done well, under the various circumstances. Glad she's living with you, as familiarity and support from everyone, contributes to her quality of life. I'm sure the chair will help her get around, and that's welcoming for her. Anyway, thanks for the update.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom