The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Lilofan

Well is it hotter than usual? I went in August last Summer and it was brutally hot. They had extreme weather warnings every day for over a week. Yes, you expect it to be hot, but when it is DANGEROUSLY hot like it was last August, it has a huge impact on your plans. When I was there, they were advising people to stay inside unless they HAD to go out. The real feel temps were 112-115 every day. We went to the first Halloween party of the year and it was still over 100 degrees at 1:00 in the morning. There was no escaping the heat. We spent a LOT of time watching shows like American Adventure, Hall of Presitdents, etc that we would normally skip, just because we couldn't stand to be outside for more than a couple of minutes. When we did World Showcase, we literally walked from one pavilion to the next and just went inside without looking around outside at kiosks, etc. We had planned a lot more Food and Wine festival stuff, but couldn't stand to wait in the lines. We didn't do anything where we had to stand in an outdoor line. It significantly limits what you can realistically do each day. It changed our trip so much because the things that we had planned all had to change. I don't know how many times we did the Beauty and the Beast sing-along, just because it was inside and air conditioned. Normally that's a once or twice a trip thing, and we were going back several times a day. And we love COP in MK, so we always do that one a few times, but usually not more than twice a day....we kept riding back to back. And my daughter doesn't usually really care so much about Monsters Inc Laugh floor, but again, it was inside, so we did that one several times to avoid the heat. I TOTALLY get whey people are complaining. There's "hot" and there's heat stroke-inducing hot and you really don't want to mess around with that.
Some ridicule Iger when he says that the heat affected attendance.He does have a point but beautiful weather at DLR!

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Well is it hotter than usual? I went in August last Summer and it was brutally hot. They had extreme weather warnings every day for over a week. Yes, you expect it to be hot, but when it is DANGEROUSLY hot like it was last August, it has a huge impact on your plans. When I was there, they were advising people to stay inside unless they HAD to go out. The real feel temps were 112-115 every day. We went to the first Halloween party of the year and it was still over 100 degrees at 1:00 in the morning. There was no escaping the heat. We spent a LOT of time watching shows like American Adventure, Hall of Presitdents, etc that we would normally skip, just because we couldn't stand to be outside for more than a couple of minutes. When we did World Showcase, we literally walked from one pavilion to the next and just went inside without looking around outside at kiosks, etc. We had planned a lot more Food and Wine festival stuff, but couldn't stand to wait in the lines. We didn't do anything where we had to stand in an outdoor line. It significantly limits what you can realistically do each day. It changed our trip so much because the things that we had planned all had to change. I don't know how many times we did the Beauty and the Beast sing-along, just because it was inside and air conditioned. Normally that's a once or twice a trip thing, and we were going back several times a day. And we love COP in MK, so we always do that one a few times, but usually not more than twice a day....we kept riding back to back. And my daughter doesn't usually really care so much about Monsters Inc Laugh floor, but again, it was inside, so we did that one several times to avoid the heat. I TOTALLY get whey people are complaining. There's "hot" and there's heat stroke-inducing hot and you really don't want to mess around with that.
Florida is in a drought and it is VERY hot. Apparently May was unusually hot and June isn't getting any better.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

I could understand if it got to Arizona temps where it's 110 every day with a heat index of 120. Even if you lived there you're not used to that level of heat. But at the same time Florida has a subtropical climate. It's not the heat that gets you, its the humidity. Upper 80s/lower 90s isnt unbearably hot.

Songbird76

I could understand if it got to Arizona temps where it's 110 every day with a heat index of 120. Even if you lived there you're not used to that level of heat. But at the same time Florida has a subtropical climate. It's not the heat that gets you, its the humidity. Upper 80s/lower 90s isnt unbearably hot.
Right, but exactly what you said....even people who live there aren't used to that level of heat. Florida gets hot and it's humid, but even in the hottest parts, it's not usually THAT hot...not the level it was when E and I were there. People can die from those temps if they don't take adequate precautions. I don't know what the temps are right now, but if it's higher than the usual time for the year, I understand the complaints. And I don't know where all the vloggers are from...if they come from a place that doesn't usually get really hot, that can be awful. For the first 10 years I lived here, even in the summer, the normal temp was under 80 degrees and we'd only have a few days each summer that went above that. The last 5 or 6 years, it's been getting progressively warmer in the summer where we get heat waves over 100 that last for more than a week, where 20 years ago we never would have even reached 100 at all. So then to go to Disney, and not only is the real feel 112 degrees and high humidity, but you are also expected to walk all day and there's no shade to speak of. It can literally kill you. And if you've been planning this ONE trip for a long time and now the heat makes it impossible to ride that ride you've been looking forward to for ages, I would be complaining too. Now instead of going on seven dwarfs mine train, you have to sit through Hall of Presidents so you don't get heat stroke, or you spend hours every day in QS lines to get another drink so you don't dehydrate and you lose those hours of riding attractions...it's hardly worth the money you paid. I was lucky....I had 2 weeks at Disney, so I had plenty of time to take breaks and hope to catch an attraction later. And I also don't do must of the most popular rides, so the lines for the things I do aren't usually as long. And even I had to massively adjust my plans to be safe in that heat. My body also doesn't handle heat very well...some people can handle it, but some have medical conditions that can make it really dangerous. I'm certainly not going to judge anyone for complaining about heat, because I'd be complaining right along with them. There are limits to anything.

Lilofan

Right, but exactly what you said....even people who live there aren't used to that level of heat. Florida gets hot and it's humid, but even in the hottest parts, it's not usually THAT hot...not the level it was when E and I were there. People can die from those temps if they don't take adequate precautions. I don't know what the temps are right now, but if it's higher than the usual time for the year, I understand the complaints. And I don't know where all the vloggers are from...if they come from a place that doesn't usually get really hot, that can be awful. For the first 10 years I lived here, even in the summer, the normal temp was under 80 degrees and we'd only have a few days each summer that went above that. The last 5 or 6 years, it's been getting progressively warmer in the summer where we get heat waves over 100 that last for more than a week, where 20 years ago we never would have even reached 100 at all. So then to go to Disney, and not only is the real feel 112 degrees and high humidity, but you are also expected to walk all day and there's no shade to speak of. It can literally kill you. And if you've been planning this ONE trip for a long time and now the heat makes it impossible to ride that ride you've been looking forward to for ages, I would be complaining too. Now instead of going on seven dwarfs mine train, you have to sit through Hall of Presidents so you don't get heat stroke, or you spend hours every day in QS lines to get another drink so you don't dehydrate and you lose those hours of riding attractions...it's hardly worth the money you paid. I was lucky....I had 2 weeks at Disney, so I had plenty of time to take breaks and hope to catch an attraction later. And I also don't do must of the most popular rides, so the lines for the things I do aren't usually as long. And even I had to massively adjust my plans to be safe in that heat. My body also doesn't handle heat very well...some people can handle it, but some have medical conditions that can make it really dangerous. I'm certainly not going to judge anyone for complaining about heat, because I'd be complaining right along with them. There are limits to anything.
There is a smallish first aid station at the entrance of DHS. When we went to get aspirin ( they give out for free ) during one hot summer , I saw approx 10 beds in the back of the room. All were occupied by fellow guests and the CM advised many were suffering from heat exhaustion.

Songbird76

There is a smallish first aid station at the entrance of DHS. When we went to get aspirin ( they give out for free ) during one hot summer , I saw approx 10 beds in the back of the room. All were occupied by fellow guests and the CM advised many were suffering from heat exhaustion.
That doesn't suprise me at all. We had to go to first aid at AK back in 2019 because E got heat exhaustion. It wasn't fun. We are very careful to take breaks, drink lots of water, and if it's too hot, we just do indoor stuff where we won't have to wait in outdoor lines.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Its gonna be hot here this weekend too. Dont remember the last time it actually hit 100 degrees as a day time high
The difference is that in MD we just go hide inside or go out to the pool for a few days until things normalize. Things are going to be like this in Florida for a while.

Like @Songbird76 said, Floridians aren't used to this. Heck, neither am I and I used to come to FL every summer for two weeks.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Kind of weird considering the insane rains in the lower portion. o_O
Yeah. I've been here since Friday and we had a major thunderstorm on Saturday and it sprinkled a bit yesterday for like 20 minutes. It's not supposed to rain at all again until Thursday. You're not even allowed to use the charcoal grills at Boardwalk right now because of the drought.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom