The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

Yeah. I've been here since Friday and we had a major thunderstorm on Saturday and it sprinkled a bit yesterday for like 20 minutes. It's not supposed to rain at all again until Thursday. You're not even allowed to use the charcoal grills at Boardwalk right now because of the drought.
Also, apparently the water taxis at DS finally reopened today because the water levels are actually high enough.

Goofyernmost

Well is it hotter than usual? I went in August last Summer and it was brutally hot. They had extreme weather warnings every day for over a week. Yes, you expect it to be hot, but when it is DANGEROUSLY hot like it was last August, it has a huge impact on your plans. When I was there, they were advising people to stay inside unless they HAD to go out. The real feel temps were 112-115 every day. We went to the first Halloween party of the year and it was still over 100 degrees at 1:00 in the morning. There was no escaping the heat. We spent a LOT of time watching shows like American Adventure, Hall of Presitdents, etc that we would normally skip, just because we couldn't stand to be outside for more than a couple of minutes. When we did World Showcase, we literally walked from one pavilion to the next and just went inside without looking around outside at kiosks, etc. We had planned a lot more Food and Wine festival stuff, but couldn't stand to wait in the lines. We didn't do anything where we had to stand in an outdoor line. It significantly limits what you can realistically do each day. It changed our trip so much because the things that we had planned all had to change. I don't know how many times we did the Beauty and the Beast sing-along, just because it was inside and air conditioned. Normally that's a once or twice a trip thing, and we were going back several times a day. And we love COP in MK, so we always do that one a few times, but usually not more than twice a day....we kept riding back to back. And my daughter doesn't usually really care so much about Monsters Inc Laugh floor, but again, it was inside, so we did that one several times to avoid the heat. I TOTALLY get whey people are complaining. There's "hot" and there's heat stroke-inducing hot and you really don't want to mess around with that.
There has never been a time when the temperatures in Florida in August where not blisteringly hot. That is totally dependable. I've been there in September when it was in the 100's and also recently (2019) when it was just in the low 80's. The rest of the year varies, June, July and August is find a water ride time. Every other month is a gamble. I've gone there mostly in February and the temperatures have fluctuated almost every trip. I have had to the scrape the frost off the windshield in the morning and they were spraying water on the citrus to prevent it from frost to starting the car up early to get the AC to help get the inside cooled before we went out.

Although, it does generally have more warm days then cold ones now, we never used to be aware or concerned about it. The only weather we checked for was rain or hurricanes. Now so much talk about dehydration and so on, something that was never mentioned before, we just drank when we felt thirsty and never had any problem. Yes, we did look for shady areas to sit in, then Disney removed most of the trees and benches and even cut down on the AC. I can remember when they left the doors open to the gift shops and when you walked into them the arctic air blast would hit you strongly. It is warmer but it isn't all that much warmer that it should be affecting anyone. Another thing was we didn't have standby lines out in the open that took forever to get through. They had all kinds of fans and the lines just steadily moved so you progress forward constantly and soon were out of the heat. Places like Disney, with billions of profits need to do something about the heat if they want to keep their "guests" comfortable but that would hurt the bottom line. It is really their responsibility to be sure that people are comfortable. Even if they priced so many of us out, the rich don't tolerate profuse sweating very well either.

Last edited:

Lilofan

There has never been a time when the temperatures in Florida in August where not blisteringly hot. That is totally dependable. I've been there in September when it was in the 100's and also recently (2019) when it was just in the low 80's. The rest of the year varies, June, July and August is find a water ride time. Every other month is a gamble. I've gone there mostly in February and the temperatures have fluctuated almost every trip. I have had to the scrape the frost off the windshield in the morning and they were spraying water on the citrus to prevent it from frost to starting the car up early to get the AC to help get the inside cooled before we went out.

Although, it does generally have more warm days then cold ones now, we never used to be aware or concerned about it. The only weather we checked for was rain or hurricanes. Now so much talk about dehydration and so on, something that was never mentioned before, we just drank when we felt thirsty and never had any problem. Yes, we did look for shady areas to sit in, then Disney removed most of the trees and benches and even cut down on the AC. I can remember when they left the doors open to the gift shops and when you walked into them the arctic air blast would hit you strongly. It is warmer but it isn't all that much warmer that it should be affecting anyone. Another thing was we didn't have standby lines out in the open that took forever to get through. They had all kinds of fans and the lines just steadily moved so you progress forward constantly and soon were out of the heat. Places like Disney, with billions of profits need to do something about the heat if they want to keep their "guests" comfortable but that would hurt the bottom line. It is really their responsibility to be sure that people are comfortable. Even if they priced so many of us out, the rich don't tolerate profuse sweating very well either.
Current CEO of Virgin Galactic Michael Colglazier used to be an executive of WDW then moved up the food chain to be President of DLR. He was asked in an interview what is the major difference he noticed between WDW and DL. He advised he does not sweat as much at DLR. CA weather especially Newport Beach where I spent a lot of time was incredible. No AC in the beach bungalow and cool nights.

Last edited:

donaldtoo

In TX , BBQ is a cultural exp with so many delish locations. In Austin, at the airport and stand alone locations is the Salt Lick. That's the pinnacle of BBQ goodness. When visiting Orlando we searched for decent BBQ and we ate at Cecils BBQ near downtown Orlando. It was started by a family from TX and serves TX style. It was actually pretty good. Nothing that tastes like acceptable BBQ is served at WDW.

There are sooooo many great BBQ places in Austin and Central Texas, including The Salt Lick…

Iron Works, Stubb’s, Franklin, Pok-e-Jo’s, Smokey Mo’s, Smokey J’s, Mikeska’s, Black’s, Kreuz, The County Line, Cooper’s, Bill Miller, Rudy’s, Dickey’s, Southside, Lamberts, Schmidt, Donn’s, Green Mesquite and the list goes on and on…!!!!!!! :joyfull::hungry:

Carp…..now I NEED some BBQ…!!!!! :hilarious:

Lilofan

There are sooooo many great BBQ places in Austin and Central Texas, including The Salt Lick…

Iron Works, Stubb’s, Franklin, Pok-e-Jo’s, Smokey Mo’s, Smokey J’s, Mikeska’s, Black’s, Kreuz, The County Line, Cooper’s, Bill Miller, Rudy’s, Dickey’s, Southside, Lamberts, Schmidt, Donn’s, Green Mesquite and the list goes on and on…!!!!!!! :joyfull::hungry:

Carp…..now I NEED some BBQ…!!!!! :hilarious:
I've eaten at Dickeys in SC. It was good. There are locations on the East Coast / some states North and South. The most locations is in TX. Franklin BBQ is very famous.

donaldtoo

Current CEO of Virgin Galactic Michael Colglazier used to be an executive of WDW then moved up the food chain to be President of DLR. He was asked in an interview what is the major difference he noticed between WDW and DL. He advised he does not sweat as much at DLR. CA weather especially Newport Beach where I spent a lot of time was incredible. No AC in the beach bungalow and cool nights.

Both homes we lived in in San Jose, CA from ‘68-‘76 had central heat (crawl space below the house with registers in the floor), but no central air.
We never needed central air. It never really got much over 80 degrees, even in July and August, and at night you might sometimes want a light jacket or sweater.
The humidity was pretty much nonexistent.

ETA…
The last time we were at Disneyland in the summer of ‘10, the weather was the first thing we noticed when we walked out of the terminal at LAX.
Sunny, mid 70’s and no humidity…a far cry a from the heat and humidity back home in Texas…!!!!! 🥵:hilarious:

Last edited:

donaldtoo

I've eaten at Dickeys in SC. It was good. There are locations on the East Coast / some states North and South. The most locations is in TX. Franklin BBQ is very famous.

Yea, Dickey’s was founded by a WWI Vet in Dallas in 1941. They didn’t start franchising until ‘94, but they now have over 500 locations in 44 states.
Funny thing is, I didn’t even know we had one about 10 minutes down the road from our old house. We always got BBQ from Rudy’s or the Southside north Austin location (their original location is down the road in Elgin, TX).
We now have a Dickey’s 5 minutes away, and have eaten there a coupla’ times. Pretty good for chain BBQ.
But yes, Franklin is indeed pretty famous, and continually has lines out the door.
They’ve won a lot of awards.

StarWarsGirl

I should think about turning it on at some point, maybe
Meanwhile, in Florida...
Nervous Ted Striker GIF by filmeditor

StarWarsGirl

Although, it does generally have more warm days then cold ones now, we never used to be aware or concerned about it. The only weather we checked for was rain or hurricanes. Now so much talk about dehydration and so on, something that was never mentioned before, we just drank when we felt thirsty and never had any problem.
Pretty sure people did get dehydrated/heat sick, but there's more awareness that "hey, this is a thing that happens that we need to watch out for."

Mom had an issue with getting heat sick in Epcot in the 80s. She told the story growing up to reinforce the importance of drinking enough water.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom