The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

rshell68

Happy Birthday Emmy!!
Disney Princesses GIF

Goofyernmost

We grew up in pork rinds. Don’t think I could stomach them nowdays. 🤮
I think my Mom has told me stories of when she was little that my Grandma would cook the whole pig and use all of it. They were poor so had to make do with what they had.
Pork is big on your side of NC.
That was one of the charms of raising pigs that I recall. The entire pig was used in one form or the other. A few weeks ago when I went up north to visit, my sister and I drove over to upper, upper New York State were both of us were born and visited some of the places were we lived and where our grandparents, aunts and uncles lived when we were growing up. When we got to my grandparents house, a place I spent a lot of time in, the old house had been replaced by a beautiful new one, but the old barn (which was over 100 years old when I was a kid) was still standing and looked like it hadn't been touched since that last time I went in it. The back of it had a chicken coop where in the summer I would feed them and collect the eggs, a large open area that my grandparents used for storage and a small area with a work table and bench where my grandfather stored his tools and did projects. One morning I went in there to play with the pieces of wood laying around and the nails and hammer and to my surprise on the table was a dead pig waiting for my Grandfather to turn it into useful sections of food. After that I always asked if the workshop was free of any deceased animals before I went in it.

The other memory that it brought to mind was the Sunday we went up to visit them and when we arrived, my grandfather was cutting the heads off my chickens with a jack knife and my grandmother was sitting next to a large basin filled with hot water where she dunked the now dead and inactive chickens in to, I guess, loosen the feathers so the could be plucked out. Later that day they had a big family gathering, which wasn't difficult because every member of the family except us lived immediately on either side of them in their own house, and the menu was chicken. My chickens that I fed and tended to all summer. I had a peanut butter sandwich. I got over that, but never forgot it. That had to be almost 65 years ago.

Last edited:

Lilofan

I think my Mom has told me stories of when she was little that my Grandma would cook the whole pig and use all of it. They were poor so had to make do with what they had.
Some I work with can't stomach pork rinds but like hot dogs. If some knew what parts are used to make hot dogs.

Lilofan

The annual Lexington NC barbeque festival is pig heaven.

FutureCEO

93boomer

Premium Member
That was one of the charms of raising pigs that I recall. The entire pig was used in one form or the other. A few weeks ago when I went up north to visit, my sister and I drove over to upper, upper New York State were both of us were born and visited some of the places were we lived and where our grandparents, aunts and uncles lived when we were growing up. When we got to my grandparents house, a place I spent a lot of time in, the old house had been replaced by a beautiful new one, but the old barn (which was over 100 years old when I was a kid) was still standing and looked like it hadn't been touched since that last time I went in it. The back of it had a chicken coop where in the summer I would feed them and collect the eggs, a large open area that my grandparents used for storage and a small area with a work table and bench where my grandfather stored his tools and did projects. One morning I went in there to play with the pieces of wood laying around and the nails and hammer and to my surprise on the table was a dead pig waiting for my Grandfather to turn it into useful sections of food. After that I always asked if the workshop was free of any deceased animals before I went in it.

The other memory that it brought to mind was the Sunday we went up to visit them and when we arrived, my grandfather was cutting the heads off my chickens with a jack knife and my grandmother was sitting next to a large basin filled with hot water where she dunked the now dead and inactive chickens in to, I guess, loosen the feathers so the could be plucked out. Later that day they had a big family gathering, which wasn't difficult because every member of the family except us lived immediately on either side of them in their own house, and the menu was chicken. My chickens that I fed and tended to all summer. I had a peanut butter sandwich. I got over that, but never forgot it. That had to be almost 65 years ago.
Oh that sounds like my grandma. You never knew what was lying out on the outdoor table. Everything from chickens, squirrels, rabbits.
My DH’s grandma would go out to the coop and grab a chicken and wring it’s neck. And this was when he was little.
Just glad we didn’t have to do that at our homes. 🤣

FutureCEO

For those who never been to Top Golf before (I haven't), they are opening up one near me on Friday.

Tuesday is half off but all the other days. :eek: You can have up to 6 people per bay.

1696447743647.png

Lilofan

Oh that sounds like my grandma. You never knew what was lying out on the outdoor table. Everything from chickens, squirrels, rabbits.
My DH’s grandma would go out to the coop and grab a chicken and wring it’s neck. And this was when he was little.
Just glad we didn’t have to do that at our homes. 🤣
An old time eatery for locals and some tourists in Kissimmee and St Cloud is the Catfish Place. Serves fresh turtle , gator , frog legs, catfish among FL caught specialities. Rabbit stew I ate when I grew up. Frog legs and gator goes well with ice cold beer.

93boomer

Premium Member
An old time eatery for locals and some tourists in Kissimmee and St Cloud is the Catfish Place. Serves fresh turtle , gator , frog legs, catfish among FL caught specialities. Rabbit stew I ate when I grew up. Frog legs and gator goes well with ice cold beer.
Ewww not things I would like.
Except for catfish.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom