The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

I had a few encounters with trucks yesterday that made me curse 18 wheelers. And a couple of them pulled out thinking they were the only one on the road and the another one just randomly swerve into the incoming lane (my lane) to pull in a corporate driveway which is huge and could fit a truck.

Yep, that’s another pet peeve of mine, too…wagon turns.
There’s a stretch of busy road that goes between the more affluent neighborhood and ours. It was 2 lanes each direction for a long time (one lane each direction when we first moved back here in ‘76). It was recently (about 2 years ago) widened to include a center turn/chicken lane. As a result, all the lanes are a bit more narrow now. Also, as you go through the only main intersection on that stretch of road, you have to hop about a foot to the right, because the lanes don’t line up properly. :facepalm:
There is also a right hand turn lane as you approach that intersection from the east (none from the west, as there wasn’t enough right-of-way for it). If I’m heading east approaching that intersection, and a car in front of me puts on their turn signal for that turn lane, I change lanes if I can, or drop back, because, inevitably, they’re gonna’ swerve too much for comforts sake into the outside lane before they make their right turn, which is complicated even more by the right hop through the intersection.
Just slow down more, and stay your lane bro/sis.

Goofyernmost

Yep, that’s another pet peeve of mine, too…wagon turns.
There’s a stretch of busy road that goes between the more affluent neighborhood and ours. It was 2 lanes each direction for a long time (one lane each direction when we first moved back here in ‘76). It was recently (about 2 years ago) widened to include a center turn/chicken lane. As a result, all the lanes are a bit more narrow now. Also, as you go through the only main intersection on that stretch of road, you have to hop about a foot to the right, because the lanes don’t line up properly. :facepalm:
There is also a right hand turn lane as you approach that intersection from the east (none from the west, as there wasn’t enough right-of-way for it). If I’m heading east approaching that intersection, and a car in front of me puts on their turn signal for that turn lane, I change lanes if I can, or drop back, because, inevitably, they’re gonna’ swerve too much for comforts sake into the outside lane before they make their right turn, which is complicated even more by the right hop through the intersection.
Just slow down more, and stay your lane bro/sis.
Moral of the story.... anticipate the actions of other drivers. Understand the physics involved with a long tractor/trailer to turn into a location and not run over curbs, signs or trees (or sometimes people) and drive defensively. Slowing down and giving the driver room to make the turn will prevent anyone or anything from being damaged. The drivers alternative was to stop completely while all traffic cleared behind him before making that turn. Believe me, you will spend a lot more time filling out an accident report than you will save by just continuing to attempt to go by. Allow them some room to make their turn and it will all be a quick solution and no more than seconds used up.

donaldtoo

Moral of the story.... anticipate the actions of other drivers. Understand the physics involved with a long tractor/trailer to turn into a location and not run over curbs, signs or trees (or sometimes people) and drive defensively. Slowing down and giving the driver room to make the turn will prevent anyone or anything from being damaged. The drivers alternative was to stop completely while all traffic cleared behind him before making that turn. Believe me, you will spend a lot more time filling out an accident report than you will save by just continuing to attempt to go by. Allow them some room to make their turn and it will all be a quick solution and no more than seconds used up.

Exactly my point, and as I’ve posted about my Pops advice on this many times before, expect other drivers to be stupider than you can possibly imagine…they can’t possibly not see me and pull out in front of me…?! OHHHHH yes they can and will…!!!!! :facepalm:
At least half the people in this country who currently posses a drivers license shouldn’t even have one, but, yet, those morons do.
I experience it on my way to and from the office every weekday, and drivers are getting even dumber from year to year.
Can you get a drivers license from a Cracker Jack box these days…?!?!?! 🤪

donaldtoo

Turn signals? People down there actually know how to use those? People here seem to think they're optional.

I’ve actually posted similar before, as turn signals are standard equipment, and not optional.
We have so many people down here now from so many different places, ya’ never know who’s gonna’ do what.
I’m a turn signal purist, so I use them consistently, many others not so much. So, yes, if I see another driver even start to fade into that lane, I either change lanes, or back off so I’m not next to them when they’re executing their wagon turn.
Driving should not be this complicated. It’s actually a pretty simple task. But, what do I know…?! 🤷‍♂️

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom