The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

FutureCEO

Are you at DVC? I swear your balcony reminds me when I rented points for Old Key West.

As for crowds.. never seen such emptiness in Star Wars Land. When I was there at a year ago during full pandemic.. There was insane crowds there... ALWAYS.
Also, are Parades back at Magic Kingdom?
The large amount of crowds there is surprising.
Yep. Old Key West and just a cavalcade of princess. They have expanded the cavalcades a bit from when they originally started them.

My kind of crowd at Epcot. Of course World Showcase was a bit different.

P1050043.JPG

Does water make a difference? Nope

P1050049.JPG

P1050105.JPGP1050131.JPG

Fisherman's Pie in Ireland. It was a toss up between that and Paella as my favorite. The Schinkennudeln was great too but you can get that all year round. Outside of Epcot, I thought the food was kind of a letdown. The foods booths that were supposed to open in October only opened because Disney finally had the staff for them.

P1050039.JPG

Last edited:

Songbird76

Speaking of which, is Disney also having problems with staffing?
I mean, its something I would have never imagined Disney having problems of. They were always a revolving door. thousands lining up for a job.
It looks like they might be. They had to lay off so many people, and now that they are reopening restaurants and resorts all the time, they have to rehire staff, some of whom have moved on. Someone mentioned in a Trip Report that there seemed to be a lot of new CMs "earning their ears" and that a lot of the restaurants seemed to be short-staffed. There was just an article on Disney Food Blog last week or the week before about whether Disney furloughs and layoffs would be their biggest regret. It mentions Disney having a lot of openings and offering signing bonuses to get the positions filled.

Songbird76

To expand on that...
You'd have to be living under a rock to not know that the first one is Harry Potter. I mean, I haven't even read all of the Harry Potter books and there are basic things I know about it because I breathe and I get on the internet.
The one with Julia Roberts was Eat Pray Love. I've seen Notting Hill and Pretty Woman and her hair was different in both, and I happen to know her hair wD different in Mystic Pizza
Scream I knew because of the internet. Drew Barrymore dies in the first 15 minutes.
Inception because I knew Leonardo DiCaprio and Elliot Page were in that movie together.
And I haven't seen all of Top Gun, but I know Maverick and Top Gun go together, and Maverick is on Tom Cruise's helmet

The rest I have seen.
I got 8 out of 10. The two I missed are ones I have never seen.

Eat Pray Love I have avoided like the plague because I saw the author on Oprah and she just rubbed me the wrong way so I have no desire to read the book or watch the movie or have anything to do with the whole thing. No thank you. And the other one I missed was the one with Drew Barrymore.....I don't do horror movies, so I had no idea which of those horror movies it was. I also haven't seen Inception or Indiana Jones, and I wasn't very invested in the Meet the Parents....I never watched the sequels, so I kind of guessed that one because I knew that was the guy in it.

Songbird76

Settle an argument for me...

Dad made a reservation for Nine Dragons for our next trip.

I think this is a total waste of my time because I can get better Chinese food at home and there's better food that I can't get at home at Epcot. Dad thinks I'm crazy.

Thoughts?
Well I don't know what kind of Chinese food you can get at home, so it's hard to say whether you're right or wrong. I know for me, I can't get great Chinese food here and we at at 9 dragons on our honeymoon and it was fantastic. BUT, that was 20 years ago. I've wanted to go back since then, but A won't touch Chinese food and he wouldn't sit through a meal there, so I haven't. But, that being said, there's nothing that says you have to join them for every ADR....you're a big girl. Make your own reservation somewhere else, or just do counter service where you want to go. You don't get charged for the people who don't show up. Only if the entire party is a no show. So maybe go your own way if you think it's a waste of your time.

Goofyernmost

It looks like they might be. They had to lay off so many people, and now that they are reopening restaurants and resorts all the time, they have to rehire staff, some of whom have moved on. Someone mentioned in a Trip Report that there seemed to be a lot of new CMs "earning their ears" and that a lot of the restaurants seemed to be short-staffed. There was just an article on Disney Food Blog last week or the week before about whether Disney furloughs and layoffs would be their biggest regret. It mentions Disney having a lot of openings and offering signing bonuses to get the positions filled.
I sincerely doubt that they are going to regret the layoffs. One has to look at the big picture. They were without any bankable income from the parks for many months. The single biggest expense is the labor force (CM's) They are also the easiest thing to control the cost of with something like this. No customers, no need for people to greet them. If one figured that the cost of the labor factor, based on 40K employees times and average of 20 hours per week and the average wage of $14.00 per hour is $11,200,000 per week.** I don't think that they completely closed down internally, there were animals to be fed, equipment to maintain, landscaping to be watched and nurtured. And all that would have to be supported with no income. We really don't understand completely how much it takes in cash outlay just for the place to continue to exist and be able to open as quickly as possible.

Yes they lost many experienced CM's, transportation being the most skilled requirement of the lower level staff. But opening up slowly is the only way that they could possibly do it. This is the one time that I feel for any entertainment venue that was shut down by a Pandemic that they could do nothing about. We as fans should understand that there is no business sense in keeping paying for staff when there is nothing for them to do. The other thing that we don't think about in that big picture is that company's the size of TWDC are usually self insured. That means that all the unemployment money that the CM's received was paid directly by TWDC, not the government. The company is required to pay the amount of normal unemployment to reimburse the Government. The extra that the Government added on is not reimbursed by Disney. Company's take the risk of self insurance because it usually is cheaper, just not this time. At least this way they didn't have to pay matching SS payments.

The numbers I used were strictly a loose estimated guess. That said, however, I think if anything they are underestimated.

Songbird76

I sincerely doubt that they are going to regret the layoffs. One has to look at the big picture. They were without any bankable income from the parks for many months. The single biggest expense is the labor force (CM's) They are also the easiest thing to control the cost of with something like this. No customers, no need for people to greet them. If one figured that the cost of the labor factor, based on 40K employees times and average of 20 hours per week and the average wage of $14.00 per hour is $11,200,000 per week.** I don't think that they completely closed down internally, there were animals to be fed, equipment to maintain, landscaping to be watched and nurtured. And all that would have to be supported with no income. We really don't understand completely how much it takes in cash outlay just for the place to continue to exist and be able to open as quickly as possible.

Yes they lost many experienced CM's, transportation being the most skilled requirement of the lower level staff. But opening up slowly is the only way that they could possibly do it. This is the one time that I feel for any entertainment venue that was shut down by a Pandemic that they could do nothing about. We as fans should understand that there is no business sense in keeping paying for staff when there is nothing for them to do. The other thing that we don't think about in that big picture is that company's the size of TWDC are usually self insured. That means that all the unemployment money that the CM's received was paid directly by TWDC, not the government. The company is required to pay the amount of normal unemployment to reimburse the Government. The extra that the Government added on is not reimbursed by Disney. Company's take the risk of self insurance because it usually is cheaper, just not this time. At least this way they didn't have to pay matching SS payments.

The numbers I used were strictly a loose estimated guess. That said, however, I think if anything they are underestimated.
Oh I'm not saying they were right or wrong to do layoffs. I have no idea about all that. I was just answering the question of are they having difficulties with staffing, and it appears they are. A lot of people moved on and got other jobs or started their own businesses using their skills that they used to use for Disney, and others were upset about the way it went down and don't want to go back to Disney. Now that more and more things are opening up again, they have to replace all the people they laid off, and that's a HUGE undertaking...you don't hire tens of thousands of people overnight, and you certainly don't train them that quickly. So staffing is going to be an issue for a while until they can get people trained and settled in their positions. I've read of several people in the Trip Reports who have mentioned that their experience with CMs is less than magical right now with new CMs who haven't been completely trained, and/or don't have the magical touch yet, not to mention that some restaurants are understaffed, so wait times are longer, service isn't as fast, etc. Whether it was right or wrong, it's taking its toll on guest experience, for sure.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Yep. Old Key West and just a cavalcade of princess. They have expanded the cavalcades a bit from when they originally started them.

My kind of crowd at Epcot. Of course World Showcase was a bit different.

View attachment 583165

Does water make a difference? Nope

View attachment 583167

View attachment 583168View attachment 583169

Fisherman's Pie in Ireland. It was a toss up between that and Paella as my favorite. The Schinkennudeln was great too but you can get that all year round. Outside of Epcot, I thought the food was kind of a letdown. The foods booths that were supposed to open in October only opened because Disney finally had the staff for them.

View attachment 583170

That Spaceship Earth picture is gorgeous! I love how golden it looks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom