The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

John park hopper

I remember reading car inspections do not reduce mechanical related accidents. Having lived in FL during their inspection days it was a joke, Took my 64 Dodge to get it inspected -said the left rear back was bad, took it home looked at it --it was fine. then they told me the right front was bad --took it home pulled it apart nothing wrong. Took it back it passed. Best thing they did was get rid of car inspections.

Lilofan

I remember reading car inspections do not reduce mechanical related accidents. Having lived in FL during their inspection days it was a joke, Took my 64 Dodge to get it inspected -said the left rear back was bad, took it home looked at it --it was fine. then they told me the right front was bad --took it home pulled it apart nothing wrong. Took it back it passed. Best thing they did was get rid of car inspections.
If FL ever got back to vehicle state inspections which won't happen, the inspection stations would have to be open 7 days a week at the very least since so many people are moving to FL on a regular basis.

Goofyernmost

Thanks Minnie. Pre 1981, Florida drivers had to get their vehicles inspected every year. Residents had to wait and idle their cars in an open air environment in a long line to get their car inspected. . Back in the day not all vehicles had AC. After many resident complaints, Gov Graham ended the process in 1981.
Perhaps, it might have been more prudent to do like we do here in NC. Everyone's car registration comes due at different times. You must get your car inspected before they will renew the registration. They give you two month previous to get the inspections done. That gives everyone plenty of time to shop around for reasonably priced repairs and not be sucked into high price deals in order to get the vehicle inspected. The cost for an inspection seems universal at $45.00 but is not fully charged until it passes inspection.

Why would you have to sit in the car and run the AC? Don't they have waiting rooms in the building? All the inspection is done in the building, they put the car on the rack and check for faulty steering and wheel connections (like Minnie's) that could create a fatal accidents if it were to break while driving, also tires, lights, windshield wiper blades, exhaust which could kill everyone in the car if severe enough and even the addition of extreme darkening window coverings are made to be removed if to dark. All for the safety of the owners and other people on the highway. In a state like Florida witch is subject to heavy downpours proper tire profile is necessary to prevent hydroplaning on wet highways and in the place where the highway is probably always triple digit temperatures good tires need to withstand very high temps. so at the Florida speed limit which from my experience is about 80mph in a parking lot tires can stay filled with air and not be blowing out.

Lilofan

Perhaps, it might have been more prudent to do like we do here in NC. Everyone's car registration comes due at different times. You must get your car inspected before they will renew the registration. They give you two month previous to get the inspections done. That gives everyone plenty of time to shop around for reasonably priced repairs and not be sucked into high price deals in order to get the vehicle inspected. The cost for an inspection seems universal at $45.00 but is not fully charged until it passes inspection.

Why would you have to sit in the car and run the AC? Don't they have waiting rooms in the building? All the inspection is done in the building, they put the car on the rack and check for faulty steering and wheel connections (like Minnie's) that could create a fatal accidents if it were to break while driving, also tires, lights, windshield wiper blades, exhaust which could kill everyone in the car if severe enough and even the addition of extreme darkening window coverings are made to be removed if to dark. All for the safety of the owners and other people on the highway. In a state like Florida witch is subject to heavy downpours proper tire profile is necessary to prevent hydroplaning on wet highways and in the place where the highway is probably always triple digit temperatures good tires need to withstand very high temps. so at the Florida speed limit which from my experience is about 80mph in a parking lot tires can stay filled with air and not be blowing out.
At the local Publix parking lot in FL it is scary to see a number of tires on cars old and new that have little to no tread life left. In regards to brakes hopefully these cars can stop safely but with no state vehicle inspections all bets are off. Some of the modified vehicle exhausts are quite loud and have activated other peoples car alarms.

John park hopper

Interesting Goofyernmost

"When North Carolina officials examined the efficacy of mandatory inspection programs in 2008, they concluded that nearly three decades of research has failed to conclusively show that mechanical defects are a significant cause of motor vehicle accidents or that safety inspections significantly reduce accident rates.”

Goofyernmost

If FL ever got back to vehicle state inspections which won't happen, the inspection stations would have to be open 7 days a week at the very least since so many people are moving to FL on a regular basis.
I'm not sure that Florida's permanent population is any larger then than central NC and I promise you no one has a problem getting their cars inspected unless they are junk. The grace period goes a long way to prevent price gouging and unnecessary repairs. I recently posted the story of my recent run in with AAA and their deceptive ways of making people pay a lot more then necessary. I also stated that I had 6 years previous stopped using AAA for my car repairs and the last straw was when I took my car in for inspection and was failed because of the darkness of the windows. At the time the car was 10 years old. It was a 2005 Cadillac with factory tinted windows. They insisted that the windows were too dark. It was parked facing in toward a wall. The wall had a sign that said customer parking. Standing at least 40 feet behind the car in a building looking through their windows I asked the manager to look at my car, look through the rear window through the front windshield and tell me what he saw. He read the sign, I looked at him and he said there still to dark. I wasn't about to physically change all the glass in a 10 year old car so I left and up until a few weeks ago never returned. BTW, the place I took it didn't even question it and never should have. If I hadn't had that grace period I would have had a problem. I will agree you cannot always go by what some places say you need, but if you have a tie-rod break at 75 mph you will wish that someone had inspected it and pointed the problem out to you.

Goofyernmost

Interesting Goofyernmost

"When North Carolina officials examined the efficacy of mandatory inspection programs in 2008, they concluded that nearly three decades of research has failed to conclusively show that mechanical defects are a significant cause of motor vehicle accidents or that safety inspections significantly reduce accident rates.”
What that bunch of desk jockeys, that probably buy new cars every year and don't know about how vehicles work, is of little interest to me. I know what can happen and cars with bad tires and brakes, lights and wipers can and do kill people. When they do conclusively show that, let me know because one death caused by a 2000+pound high speed bullet that had worn front ends or bald tires is far to high a price to pay to be feeling that safety isn't necessary.

Last edited:

Lilofan

We're driving to SC. My dad has been saying for weeks that he was going to bring a dead cicada to my aunt to show her so she can show her grandson. Mom and I vetoed that.

Somehow, there is a dead cicada in here (no, Dad didn't put it in here)
Disregard the infamous South of the Border touristy rest stop at the NC/SC line. The bathrooms look like they haven't been cleaned in a long time. But Pedro says " you never seen sausage place".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom