The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

I recently framed up a bunch of stuff and one of the things I framed up was a print of Cinderella castle. The print was from the 25th anniversary of WDW and since WDW is going to be 50 in 2021 that is a lot of procrastination on my part! HAHA!
In my last promotion at work, I got a new office. It was a spacious office, but had no windows as it was in the center of the building. My sister got a picture of the castle, blew it up, then made a frame that was made like a window complete with curtains. It looked like the castle was just outside my office. I wonder what happened to that picture. I don't seem to have it anymore, but I don't remember what I did with it. I'm thinking I left it there of the next person that was going to occupy the space. The running joke was that I was to keep the window closed so the paperwork didn't blow off the desk.

Goofyernmost

We have a decent amount of mosquitoes this year too. A guy in our church owns a franchise of Mosquito Hunters and we are thinking of having them come out and spray. I hate to pay for it but mosquitoes see me as a buffet and I guess I’d rather she’ll out some $$ than get all bit up. 🙂. Supposedly their products are natural but I am a bit concerned about the veggies in my garden.
I have lived here in the greater Raleigh area for almost 10 years now and I have not seen a single mosquito since I moved here. We are surrounded by many man made ponds and why we don't have them is a mystery to me.

SteveBrickNJ

I have lived here in the greater Raleigh area for almost 10 years now and I have not seen a single mosquito since I moved here. We are surrounded by many man made ponds and why we don't have them is a mystery to me.
@Goofyernmost ....have you ever been to Greenville SC? I was killing time....just for fun I was thinking about where my wife and I might retire down the road.
I like Greenville SC because it is appox. halfway between Charlotte NC and Atlanta GA
Greenville fun facts.....20200707_160435.jpg

Goofyernmost

@Goofyernmost ....have you ever been to Greenville SC? I was killing time....just for fun I was thinking about where my wife and I might retire down the road.
I like Greenville SC because it is appox. halfway between Charlotte NC and Atlanta GA
Greenville fun facts.....View attachment 482036
I've been through it, I think on my way to Atlanta. I'm not all that fond of SC, but at one point I was really jonesing to live in Myrtle Beach. I have since change my mind. The big thing is that my whole family, less one, lives here in NC. The fact that I spend the previous 50 years in Vermont, the cost of living, the weather, the activities floored me when I first moved here it was so much less expensive here. It still is a year round pleasure. Living in Raleigh, I'm about 2 hours from the ocean and nearly the same from the Great Smokey mountains. The versatility of things took me a while to get used to. Not so much now, but at the time the idea that WDW was just a one days (about 9.5 hours) drive door to door was a big selling point.

SteveBrickNJ

I've been through it, I think on my way to Atlanta. I'm not all that fond of SC, but at one point I was really jonesing to live in Myrtle Beach. I have since change my mind. The big thing is that my whole family, less one, lives here in NC. The fact that I spend the previous 50 years in Vermont, the cost of living, the weather, the activities floored me when I first moved here it was so much less expensive here. It still is a year round pleasure. Living in Raleigh, I'm about 2 hours from the ocean and nearly the same from the Great Smokey mountains. The versatility of things took me a while to get used to. Not so much now, but at the time the idea that WDW was just a one days (about 9.5 hours) drive door to door was a big selling point.
I'd like to be 2 hours or so from Atlanta. Greenville has cultural stuff, nice restaurants, waterfalls park, halfway between two interesting cities, low cost of living compared to NJ.
I'll talk my wife into visiting it sometime.;):cool:

wdwfan4ver

Im Sorry. Especially during shelter times.
Me rarely drinking alcohol is not a big deal to me. I am like my younger brother. He takes less medications than I do, but he still very rarely drinks.

What happened to me former neighbors on the other hand was terrible.

I found out my former neighbors got the Coronavirus in early May. The former neighbors was a family. The Husband had to stay in a hospital for 21 days. He was on a ventilator for 12 days. His wife didn't go to the hospital, but her Coronavirus also involved having pneumonia. One of their 2 adult daughters also had the virus. It took them end of June for going back to work.

Last edited:

Lilofan

I'd like to be 2 hours or so from Atlanta. Greenville has cultural stuff, nice restaurants, waterfalls park, halfway between two interesting cities, low cost of living compared to NJ.
Big culture shock moving to SC. Poor health care compared to Northeast and not going to find real bagels, pizza and Chinese food like in NJ/NY.

SteveBrickNJ

Big culture shock moving to SC. Poor health care compared to Northeast and not going to find real bagels, pizza and Chinese food like in NJ/NY.
Thank you so much for your feedback☺We don't eat bagels. There are Asian restaurants galore. We could surely find one we like. There is a Korean BBQ. We both like that. You are surely right on the money regarding PIZZA. I would miss NJ pizza. Yet the pluses would outweigh the negatives. NJ is a much more expensive place to live.....and each year I hate the winter(s) more than the year before😉

93boomer

Premium Member
Thank you so much for your feedback☺We don't eat bagels. There are Asian restaurants galore. We could surely find one we like. There is a Korean BBQ. We both like that. You are surely right on the money regarding PIZZA. I would miss NJ pizza. Yet the pluses would outweigh the negatives. NJ is a much more expensive place to live.....and each year I hate the winter(s) more than the year before😉
Greenville isn’t too far from us. We like to go eat and shop there, but way too much traffic for us to live there. It can get snow and ice a lot more than people think. If you like really hot temps in the summer, I say go for it.

Lilofan

No doubt the cost of living is cheaper down South compared to NJ.

SteveBrickNJ

Greenville isn’t too far from us. We like to go eat and shop there, but way too much traffic for us to live there. It can get snow and ice a lot more than people think. If you like really hot temps in the summer, I say go for it.
What do you think is the current population there?
Google gave conflicting results. Edit: Ahh....there is a Greenville NC as well as a Greenville SC. NC is smaller....SC is the larger population, yes?
....................and how about the "accent"?
If WE moved there, then we are in THEIR area, so WE would be considered to have the accent.
Yet, hopefully you know what I mean regarding their accent.
When you watch World News Tonight with David Muir, I talk like him. Standard English.
Will Greenville citizens have a thick southern accent (from my point of view) or because it is a city maybe not so much twang? :)

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Be careful, it was my wife the stopped me from my Myrtle Beach quest about 30 years ago. Turns out she was right, dammit!

Goofyernmost

Google gave conflicting results. Edit: Ahh....there is a Greenville NC as well as a Greenville SC. NC is smaller....SC is the larger population, yes?
If WE moved there, then we are in THEIR area, so WE would be considered to have the accent.
When you watch World News Tonight with David Muir, I talk like him. Standard English.
Will Greenville citizens have a thick southern accent (from my point of view) or because it is a city maybe not so much twang? :)
In spite of whatever things you have heard about southerners, they are very welcoming as long as you do not try and pull something over on them. Everyone I met when I first moved down here treated me like a long lost friend and went out of their way to be helpful. I, of course, had to watch my manners, but no one ever said "Bless your heart" to me. 😃 BTW, no one has ever mentioned anything ever about my New England accent. Y'all don't make fun of theirs they won't make fun of yours. Don't get me wrong, there are a bunch of things that basically make my blood boil about attitudes down here, but I have found that if you can become a friend it will last forever. Quite a good trade-off.

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

In spite of whatever things you have heard about southerners, they are very welcoming as long as you do not try an pull something over on them. Everyone I met when I first moved down here treated me like a long lost friend and went out of their way to be helpful. I, of course, had to watch my manners, but no one ever said "Bless your heart" to me. 😃 BTW, no one has ever mentioned anything ever about my New England accent. Y'all don't make fun of theirs they won't make fun of yours.
Well my preconceived notion is that Greenville SC people will be friendlier than my fellow New Jersey residents....but the main observation my wife and I had from our week in Georgia 2 years ago was: The people in the small towns or rural areas had more of an "accent" then the people in the cities or the immediate city suburbs. Is that a fair generalization?

93boomer

Premium Member
Yes there are two Greenvilles. All Southerners have a distinct accent. Transplants, as we call them, from other areas of the country, that live part time in our areas have a more citified accent, if that makes sense. The South is mostly country folk out in the areas away from the big cities. Most people all over the country can tell we are from the South. Your Jersey accent would certainly stand out, but that goes for any accents when you move to an entirely new location, not just yours.
The cost of living would be cheaper there. They do have a huge varied population. That is due to all the huge manufacturers there like BMW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom