The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

Well my preconceived notion is that Greenville SC people will be friendlier than my fellow New Jersey residents....but the main observation my wife and I had from our week in Georgia 2 years ago was: The people in the small towns or rural areas had more of an "accent" then the people in the cities or the immediate city suburbs. Is that a fair generalization?
OK, that might be true, but can you tell me what is wrong with having an accent, heavy of light? I'm confused!

SteveBrickNJ

OK, that might be true, but can you tell me what is wrong with having an accent, heavy of light? I'm confused!
"Wrong" is not on the table. There is not a single person in SC who I would consider as speaking in a wrong way.
To restate what I said earlier...If I move there, my way of speaking will be "wrong" 😂
Please don't be confused, I just want to be able to fit in. My instincts tell me I'd fit in with the city residents...I hope so.
Plus my wife asked about the "accent". Whenever she asks me something I'm not sure of, I try to find the answer.
Happy wife...happy life ;)

StarWarsGirl

Big culture shock moving to SC. Poor health care compared to Northeast and not going to find real bagels, pizza and Chinese food like in NJ/NY.
I've very seriously considered moving to South Carolina, but would live only in the greater Charleston area for the reason above; MUSC is the only decent hospital around.

I have another four years before I can even consider moving out of Maryland, though.

epcotisbest

"Wrong" is not on the table. There is not a single person in SC who I would consider as speaking in a wrong way.
To restate what I said earlier...If I move there, my way of speaking will be "wrong" 😂
Please don't be confused, I just want to be able to fit in. My instincts tell me I'd fit in with the city residents...I hope so.
Plus my wife asked about the "accent". Whenever she asks me something I'm not sure of, I try to find the answer.

I live in the North Georgia mountains, so far up in the woods we don't get the six o'clock news until 7:30. We don't talk wrong here, y'all do. :D

Goofyernmost

I would say it is a better then even guess that no one assimilates as quickly in a rural environment as they do in an urban environment, but that doesn't mean that what type of accent they have is any indication of their moral standing or friendliness. I'm still confused about the accent thing. You will be judged by your actions not your accent. It isn't even a thing to consider. You don't have to even open your mouth and people will know you aren't local and I have found no one cares unless we become obnoxious and rude, But that isn't accent, that is personality. You treat them with respect and not be condescending and you will be accepted quickly. It is nothing to even think about.

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

I would say it is a better then even guess that no one assimilates as quickly in a rural environment as they do in an urban environment, but that doesn't mean that what type of accent they have is any indication of their moral standing or friendliness. I'm still confused about the accent thing. You will be judged by your actions not your accent. It isn't even a thing to consider. You don't have to even open your mouth and people will know you aren't local and I have found no one that cares unless we become obnoxious and rude, But that isn't accent, that is personality. You treat them with respect and not be condescending and you will be accepted quickly. It is nothing to even think about.
Very good. Have a good night.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Decided I was going to go for a night swim tonight since it's not raining and low and behold, there are 3 frogs in the pool....2 of them were chirping and one was chirping very loudly. Looked it up, it was a mating call and the chirp was an indication that the pool "was taken". So I'll let them have their frog fun for one evening.

StarWarsGirl

We're currently at the rest stop in VA...once again going through the "No, Missy does not eat McDonald's" thing again.
They're finally starting to get it. They used to be a little more understanding and were willing to drop me across the street at Subway, but my dad is getting stubborn in his old age. Last time I told them I'd just snack in the car and eat when we got home. This time I just ate the lunch meat we had left and snacks. I think between the last two times they're getting the point of Missy does not do McDonald's, with the exception of their breakfast sandwich in the morning.

Songbird76

One of the benefits of having a sister and bro in law who are both in orthopedics, is that I have quick access to in person or telehealth visits.lol. Doesn’t mean that we don’t still have to make an appointment somewhere else, but little things I get their advice if I don’t know.
They are in Florida right now, so we face timed his toe.. it’s a middle toe, not the big one.. he could walk and move it, so we didn’t think it was broken. After the ice I taped 2 toes together. He put on his baseball cleats and had a slight limp, but said he could play.

After the game was cancelled and we got home, it was really swollen again and I really feared it was broken, planned on an X-ray today if looked as bad when he woke up. Last night he soaked in an ice bucket again. It was elevated all night, and I changed out ice packs while he was sleeping, until about 1am. Looks soooo much better today! Just a little swollen, nothing like yesterday. It hurts, but he can move it. Facetimed sis and bro in law again this morning, none of us think it’s worth the X-ray at this point. He’s taking off soccer today, no pool either, continuing with intermittent ice and elevation.. and hopefully just some soreness left after.

I don’t think he’ll run at the pool again. Learned there’s a reason why the lifeguards have that rule. I’m just so glad that it wasn’t an arm, leg, or his head. I’m also glad the baseball game was cancelled last night, it’s rescheduled for Thursday.
Always nice to have medical professionals on speed dial!! I wish I did! How's he feeling about it now? Is it still bothering him? I guess it's probably lucky it's not the big toe....that one gets more pressure, I'd think. The middle toes are more protected. A's wasn't swollen at all when he broke his. He slipped and rammed it against a bookcase. But because he cries about EVERYTHING (or used to, anyway) we couldn't tell if it was something more serious or just a stubbed toe. He wouldn't stand up, but he always did that when he fell. But for the rest of the day, he crawled everywhere, and we were supposed to go to a birthday party for E's Godmother that evening, so we took him to urgent care and the doctor looked at it, but couldn't tell if it was just sprained or if it was broken. She gave us a referral for an X-ray if it kept bothering him. We left him with Oma and Opa for the evening while we went to the party, but they called us shortly thereafter to take him for the X-ray because he couldn't sleep. Sure enough, it was broken. I felt sooooo bad. We had just assumed he was exaggerating like always. I felt like the worst mother ever to not take it seriously and ended up making him suffer. :(

Songbird76

Definitely feel a bit lighter, and less tangly!

Can she call her friend and tell her she really wants to cut it?
Our restrictions on distancing for those under 18 were lifted on July first, so she went to the girl's house to work on a school project last week and she mentioned it, and the girl was so surprised, and told her if she really wanted to cut it she should absolutely go for it. But E will feel bad if she doesn't keep the promise, even if her friend says it's fine. I can't blame her as she gets that from me. I'm exactly the same way. My husband has tried really hard to teach me the word "no", and that I don't have to agree to everything or feel like I'm letting someone down if I say I can't do something. I'm better about it than I was at E's age, but she comes by it honestly. But the good news is that with the restrictions lifting, she should be able to go over once school is out and let her friend have her fun and then chop it.

And yesterday was her last actual lesson day. The rest of this week is "broom days" for kids to finish up any incompletes or make up tests they haven't gotten in yet, but she has none of those, so she's free. Then next week she goes in one day to get her report card and then she'll be given information on how to turn in her books when she gets the report card. But that's all that's left, so maybe she can go this week even.

John park hopper

I've very seriously considered moving to South Carolina, but would live only in the greater Charleston area for the reason above; MUSC is the only decent hospital around.

I have another four years before I can even consider moving out of Maryland, though.
On the contrary we have excellent Healthcare in the greater Charleston area equal to any hospital in the north east --hospitals such as MUSC, Roper Saint Francis, East Cooper Hospital. I have had several procedures done at these hospitals and received excellent care. I would not let the be a concern IMO it is unfounded

Songbird76

We have a decent amount of mosquitoes this year too. A guy in our church owns a franchise of Mosquito Hunters and we are thinking of having them come out and spray. I hate to pay for it but mosquitoes see me as a buffet and I guess I’d rather she’ll out some $$ than get all bit up. 🙂. Supposedly their products are natural but I am a bit concerned about the veggies in my garden.
Hrmmm...natural doesn't necessarily mean non-toxic. I mean, hemlock is a plant, but highly poisonous. I know nothing about toxins or spraying for mosquitoes, but I'd check with them to find out if it's also non-toxic. I think the all-natural thing is more about not affecting the environment, isn't it? Not about being safe to eat plants that have been sprayed? I wouldn't swear to that, but I'd definitely ask and not just assume it was safe.

Songbird76

I've been through it, I think on my way to Atlanta. I'm not all that fond of SC, but at one point I was really jonesing to live in Myrtle Beach. I have since change my mind. The big thing is that my whole family, less one, lives here in NC. The fact that I spend the previous 50 years in Vermont, the cost of living, the weather, the activities floored me when I first moved here it was so much less expensive here. It still is a year round pleasure. Living in Raleigh, I'm about 2 hours from the ocean and nearly the same from the Great Smokey mountains. The versatility of things took me a while to get used to. Not so much now, but at the time the idea that WDW was just a one days (about 9.5 hours) drive door to door was a big selling point.
Oh man, I wish I could get to Disneyworld by car!! I don't mind road trips at all. We always traveled by car and I love that you can stop and visit a site that interests you along the way, etc. You can just take your time and stop and get out and walk if you need to, or find a bathroom. You aren't cooped up in a cramped space with a hundred strangers and misbehaving children, and you don't have to eat airplane food!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom