The Brickers' Holi-Disney Christmas Vacation 2010 Report (D23 Event, Reunion, etc!)

Preface:

Welcome to Christmas 2010 Walt Disney World Report! For those of you who have been following our Saga in our other reports, thank you for joining us once again! For those first time readers, thanks for opening this thread--we hope it doesn’t disappoint!

Worth noting is that this report report is over 50 single spaced pages of text. I don't point this out because I want to warn you before you make the time commitment to read it, but because at this length, and given my schedule, much of the report was written very hastily. I hope that it’s somewhat coherent and not rife with grammatical errors, stylistic faults, misspelled words, or incorrect word choices (for example, in a previous report, I meant to type “cookie,” but I was distracted while typing and wrote “cutter”) but such may be the case.

Also worth noting, since I receive many comments and private messages asking about this, is that Sarah’s dresses are mostly a brand called “BCBG.” There are other brands, too, but I can’t remember them--most are BCBG. She gets them from Sample Sales. These are discounted invite-only websites that sell nice clothing and products. They are all legitimate retailers of said products (not like some New York street corner selling knock-off Louis Vutton purses). We've saved a LOT of money buying through these sites rather than the mall. Here are our favorites ranked in descending order:
#1 - Gilt Groupe/Gilt Man
#2 - Rue La La
#3 - HauteLook
#4 - Ideeli (mostly women's stuff)
#5 - Beyond the Rack
Probably wouldn’t have received a ton of questions this time as you can’t see most of the dresses since she’s bundled up, but there’s the info, anyway.

As this is a Christmas trip, I begin writing this with the goal to get it out prior to Christmas prior to 2011. Given how busy I’ll be between now and then with work (apparently it piles up when you take nearly two weeks off!), holiday shopping, and other responsibilities, I’m going to attempt to make it shorter than prior installations. It will likely have significantly fewer images, as I focus on writing now, and updating at future junctures with additional images and, possibly, more text. Despite the fact that we got far fewer images than us this trip than we normally do, this TR actually has far fewer of the artistic ones since those are more time consuming to edit.

Alright, enough with the disclaimers, warnings, and other miscellaneous opening remarks. On with the show!

----

The trip began in its typical manner, under chaotic circumstances. Packing the night before actually went better than usual, as we had accomplished some packing ahead of time. We got to bed relatively early the night before, around 10:30 pm. The next morning we were up bright and early, with Sarah’s dad taking us to the airport at 5:30 am. We took one set of bags down to the car and were planning on going back up for incidental items, to do a once over, and to lock up the fort. The previous trip down, I told Sarah that I would just leave the keys upstairs since my hands were full. Unfortunately, in our apartment building, once the door shuts, you have to use a sensor (on our keychain) to open the front door. Here we are, at 5:30 am in 20 degree weather, no coats, locked out of our apartment building. We had to go back upstairs as our unit’s door was open, plus Sarah’s ID was up there.

The natural response to this situation is to buzz the call box of all adjacent tenants to see if they’ll let you in. Well, maybe this isn’t the natural response of everyone, as some of you may have more common courtesy than us, but it was 5:30 am, we were freezing, and fearful that we’d miss out flight to WDW. It was our natural reaction. Our neighbors either were undisturbed by the constant buzzing (in which case no harm, no foul), or chose to ignore (in which case I don’t feel too sorry for them). Not knowing what to do, we called the apartment’s emergency line. This line is reserved for situations such as gas and water leaks, but I felt missing a flight to WDW was fairly analogous, so we called and left a message. After more time passed, the gentleman who delivers the newspaper came by and let us in. But for him, I think we would have missed our flight. Add leaving our keys in the house to the list of things not to do before heading to WDW (add it to the list of things not to do whenever leaving home, for that matter).

Other than this, the trip down was relatively uneventful. There was one somewhat minor issue, but that was relatively quickly resolved: I couldn’t decide whether to order 2 or 3 sausage McMuffins with egg from McDonald’s. I decided to order 2, then see if I wanted another. I ended up wanting another, but was too lazy to wait in line again. Lesson learned there!

Sarah was selected for advanced screening in Indy, so she went through one of the WBI machines. I did a fair amount of research on WBIs, BDOs, SPOT, and the rest of the acronym soup involving advanced measures of airport security in law school, so I was sort of hoping to be selected for the screening to experience it first hand. (For those curious, my ultimate thesis was that whole body imaging was impractical due to its costs and inevitable ability of terrorists to circumvent it; I found advanced screening unobjectionable from a personal liberties perspective. Although I’m sure no one cares.)

Once through screening, we headed to our gate, and boarded shortly thereafter. We slept most of the flight there to conserve our energy. What seemed like 15 minutes later, we touched down in Orlando, and headed towards the DME area. In previous trip reports, I’ve commented on our inability to find this area despite heading there so frequently, and more importantly, having maps indicating how to get there. This hadn’t been an issue for the last couple of trips, as we had found it right away without the maps, but this time, I decided to follow my instinct, and disregard the map--with Sarah all the while telling me I was leading us the wrong direction. As a proud male who both refuses to follow a map and is seldom wrong, I can only assume the airport had been reconfigured since our last trip, as we were in the wrong area.

021210001.jpg

We re-traced our steps, headed to the other side of the airport, and boarded the DME shortly thereafter. Since we were staying at an All Star resort (Music) the first night of our trip, we were sandwiched in among Pop Warners parents and players. They must not have been too loud, as I was able to sleep. (I almost wish they had kept me awake, as I missed that DME video, which I love!)

021210002.jpg

This would be the first of two admittedly “new” DME bus drivers we’d have on the trip; this particular one drove to All Star Music, before realizing he had forgotten to stop at All Star Sports, and turning around--without dropping off us guests staying at AS:Mu. Not wanting to deal with any more of his brilliant moves, Sarah and I got out at Sports and walked to Music. Given the crowd that came behind us to check-in, I’m fairly confident that I’m right.

We met our friend, Nick, at the check in desk and then proceeded to our room to drop off some stuff before we headed immediately to the Magic Kingdom. I had opted to wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt that day given that we’d be in Indy part of the day, and that night was supposed to be cool, but I noticed that even during the day, I didn’t feel hot in that attire. Oh well, I thought, the next 11 days would be warmer.

021210003.jpg

We engaged in so many unique experiences and I’ve written so many thoughts on specific attractions in previous trip reports in the past that to do so again would be superfluous. If there was anything out of the ordinary or specific to this trip of which I think, I’ll discuss it, but otherwise, assume we rode attractions each day in addition to what is discussed.

First on the agenda was eating. We stopped at the best restaurant in the world, Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe. Actually, after two consecutive 10 plus day trips, I have to admit that Cosmic Ray’s has fallen a few rungs on my ladder. I just can’t eat that way for that way. My body is trained to be a lean, mean, killing machine, and Cosmic Ray’s food is more conducive to pudgy, groogy, waddling critters. Don’t get me wrong, the burger is still great, especially with a liberal assortment of toppings, it just isn’t something I can eat day in and day out.

021210005.jpg

We hit a couple of attractions before seeing the WDW Today Reunion group across from Aloha Isle. I wasn’t quite sure how Nick would take to hanging around with a huge group of Disney nerds, so I quickly said hello to a couple of the guys we know before we headed off. Nick had to leave for work shortly thereafter, so I figured we’d meet up with them at that time.

021210006.jpg

About 45 minutes later, that’s exactly what we did. This meet-up was at the Frontierland Shootin’ Gallery. Since we’re well aware that the Gallery costs additional money to play, we’ve typically avoided it. However, I must say that the targets look pretty cool. Had we any cash, we might have given it a whirl. I was a bit dismayed to learn that it didn’t keep score, though. What’s the point in a game that doesn’t keep score?!? I am not some 6 year old who needs to be coddled by over-protective parents and a society that says kids are scarred if they lose, I want the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

021210007.jpg

During our honeymoon, we met up with Henry Work, the developer for TouringPlans.com one evening. Shortly thereafter, I began writing for the TouringPlans.com Blog and working for TouringPlans.com on photo projects for the site. If you check out the mastheads at the top of each page, you might recognize some of the photos. With the exception of the Disneyland TouringPlans site and a couple other photos here and there, they’re mine.

In addition to designing all of the Mastheads for the Disneyland and Walt Disney World TouringPlans.com pages, I’ve been creating galleries for each attraction (click link and scroll down for an example) meant to give users an idea of what to expect from the attraction--from the time you approach the exterior to the time you exit the queue. At first, this didn’t seem like much of an undertaking, I figured I had a lot of these photos already, and could just harvest my computer’s photos. Unfortunately, that was not the case, which meant that that this trip, I would be making an conscious effort to take more photos of the attractions. While the task proved a fun challenge, it also meant taking a lot more photos, and with the already large RAW size of the D7000’s images, I found myself filling up my external hard drive in a hurry. So quickly, that by the second day of the trip, I was already contemplating ordering a new one from Amazon.com, and using Prime to get it to me in a hurry. Being a bit of a gambler, I opted against this. As you’ll read later, this may have been a mistake.

Anyway, at the gallery, we saw Henry (you’ll notice him in these photos as the one who is ridiculously tall) and he introduced us to Reilly, another TouringPlans.com staff member. After chatting briefly, I did some shooting--with my camera, before we headed on to the Haunted Mansion. The wait was something that seemed ridiculous to me (probably 20 minutes), but the entire group was doing it, so we thought, “what the heck.” It would turn out that a wait of 20 minutes would be pretty standard for the Haunted Mansion this trip. Odd, as I don’t think we’ve ever waited that long during the height of the summer season. I will explain my theory on this later.

We split off from the group after Haunted Mansion as it looked like it would be a long wait before everyone else got off the attraction. While we like doing group things, we were concerned with getting as much done as possible before my parents joined us two days later, as we predicted the pace would slow down then.

When we first started going to WDW together in 2006, it quickly became a tradition for us to go the Magic Kingdom the night we arrived, and start the evening by relaxing on the TTA. This tradition quickly died, as we started booking our flights earlier and earlier, and it wasn’t always advantageous to hit the MK on the first night. Not wanting to get away from our “roots” too far, we decided to do the TTA then, even if it was still daytime, and not our first attraction. As I’ve said before, the TTA is so much better at night. It’s nice during the day, but at night it’s next-level.

021210008.jpg

As we approached the return-station on the TTA, we noticed the group heading into Tomorrowland. We watched them as we exited the ride, and they queued up for Buzz Lightyear Spaceranger Spin. It seemed like as good of a time as any to rejoin the group, so we did. Managed to do TTA while they had waited--not too shabby!

021210009.jpg

021210018.jpg

021210020.jpg

Billy6

Tom- Did you "figaro-out" what the name of the fries at PVH were yet? :shrug: Had ranch, bacon, lettuce, and cheese?? Figaro Fries!!!

Very dissapointed in the Mouse, for taking those off the menu. Although, my waistline probably should thank him.

Great report as always and amazing pictures as well...

deltableh

As always Tom, your TRs are incredible! Also, pictures are amazing. I would have loved to have met up with you and saw you work (as I just felt silly with my tri and all my lenses not having shot Disney with a DSLR before) but you seemed wicked busy, reading this thread.

I promise you, it got colder before it got warmer! I spent 5 out of my 7 days in Disney with my gloves in my back pocket, just to make sure I wouldn't get numb fingers when shooting.

I can't wait to see more shots that you post up on Flickr. It's always an adventure to see what you come up with!

PS: Was it an iPhone 4 or 3G/3GS? The repair for a shattered display is a lot cheaper ($100) on a 3G/3GS because we () can replace just the display, as opposed to the entire phone like we have to for the iPhone 4. If the SIM keeps acting up, I suggest just using a paperclip to eject and re-insert the SIM card tray. That sometimes can fix an issue like that where it has trouble making contact.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Great report and pictures! Thanks for including the information about the Wave and Jiko, those were two restaurants I was thinking about and now they are on the list! I can't wait to go now in June and I told the hubby we should go in late November too and he said okay, it must have been your great Christmas pics that convinced him!

Docarino

Great trip report, as always! I've learned a lot about how to take pictures at WDW from your reports.

A note about lens caps- I've lost lens caps multiple times at WDW, to the point that now I keep an extra set at the resort. But, someone recently told me that if you lose one, go to any lost and found because they have a box of lost lens caps there and will let you just take what you need.

About Snow White- she wasn't with the 7 Dwarves at MNSSHP this year, either. Not sure why they made that change but they did it for both Halloween and Christmas.

Happy New Year to you and Sarah- I met Sarah the night I was with some of the WDWP people at MK. She is the nicest person and even volunteered to take our picture for us. It's apparent from that, and some of your pictures, that she has some photography skills, herself :)

Disneyfalcon

Awesome report as always, Tom.

Put me in the camp of people who love your fisheye shots. It's such a unique perspective. I rented one for one trip and am debating renting one for our preview cruise on the Dream in a few weeks. Canon has a new L zoom fisheye! It's way out of my price range, but renting may be an option. I can't decide between renting a fisheye and a wide angle at this point.

Your parade shots btw are just stunning. I love them!

BookwormxBelle

Thanks for sharing your trip report! I'm sorry that you and Sarah got sick during your trip, but if you hadn't mentioned it, I definitely wouldn't have known from your pictures. :]

I really enjoyed all of the cool shots you had not only of MVMCP but Cinderella's suite and the ones of your meal on the Indy set.

tiaragirl

Thanks for another great TR, Tom! You guys are the cutest couple, and your pictures really capture that Disney magic.. it's really appreciated =)

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Great report and pictures, as always Tom. Sorry we missed you in Germany!

Glad you enjoyed; we would have loved to meet everyone, but with everything else we had going on, it just wasn’t feasible. Hope you all had a great time!

Great trip report, I was actually waiting for you to post. I see you don't post crowd photos. I was looking to see if I showed up in a crowd photo

I agree about the time of year. The weather and being sick took its toll on us. We didn't pack enough warm clothes as we went in 2005 and it wasn't that bad.

Afterwards, we should have brought thermal under clothes and Cabela's thin but warm under clothes. We didn't want to exceed our luggage weight limit of 50lb each.

Thanks for sharing your report.

Next time I will definitely pack better. When we went in 2007 and 2008 at roughly the same time, it wasn’t nearly as bad. Even at night I wore shorts, and while I was a little chilly, it wasn’t unbearable.

Just finished reading your trip report. LOVED IT. Your photos are amazing, simply amazing. Thanks for taking me on a trip tonight, I have been missing WDW this season and now, thanks to you, I was just there.

Thanks! Glad I could help.

As always, your report was great and your photos were amazing! I'm sorry to hear that you both got sick. It really dampens your energy levels down there which stinks for people like us who like to go "hardcore". It looks like you still managed to have fun though...Happy Holidays to you both!

Yes, we definitely did have a great time. Even if you’re sick in WDW, you’re still in WDW, so it’s not that bad. I’m sure as we look back on the trip, we’ll remember the fun we had and gradually forget about being sick, anyway. Time has a way of erasing the negative aspects of our trips in our memories, for some reason.

I think Tom took all of us from Indy there,as I too really felt like I was there by reading his stories and seeing his pictures.

FYI Tom, Grand Poobah sounds so much better than dictator.

Hmmm, Grand Poobah. It does sound a little less...evil. Perhaps I could use that name during my campaigning! ;)

Great pics/story as always. Was so excited to see you posted and quickly announced to my hubby/kids that I needed some "quiet time" to read all the way through!
Took a look at what you have done for Touring Plans with via the pics for the American Adventure.....I can definitely see how that would be a big undertaking to do that for any attraction.
Happy New Year!

Thanks for reading! My goal is to create something visually that allows people to get a rough idea of what experiencing the attractions will be like, from start to finish. Hopefully this will allow some people to determine whether a specific attraction is for them, or whether their kids will be able to ‘handle’ elements of certain attractions. For some attractions, like Dinosaur, Space Mountain, or Rock N Rollercoaster, the (camera) technology just isn’t there yet to make this completely possible, but with each passing year it gets closer and closer.

I was waiting for this TR to appear! What else can be said about your photos that hasn't been said already? An amazing talent you have...if there is one thing I wish I could learn how to do, it would be to take great photos. Maybe one day I'll learn.

My condolences on your cracked iPhone. I dropped mine in the toilet last year (it was a clean toilet!) and after being without it for 3 days, I was traumatized. The love of an iPhone is a strong one.

I love how you preface your TRs now with info on Sarah's dresses!

Out of curiosity, what prints did you get from the Art of Disney store? We purchased 2 last trip (a reprint of an original DL map that is HUGE and the attraction poster for HM) that we are just waiting to get a good deal on some nice frames for. That Art on Demand option they have now with the kiosks is addicting!
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy The Plaza. We tried it for the first time on our honeymoon in 2006 and have dined there on every trip since. Like you said, it's only a tad bit more expensive than counter service but for some reason I love the ambiance in there. Maybe I'm remembering it differently or maybe everything just seems better to me when I'm in the Magic Kingdom.

Again, thanks for sharing. Happy New Year!

The prints! I should have taken photos of them! I wrote this in an incredibly disjointed manner and that portion of the TR was written before Christmas.

I ended up getting a framed Figment print that is rather large, a smaller unframed EPCOT print with the monorail running by SSE, and a smaller unframed Figment print that is Christmas themed. The large Figment print is awesome; we left it at my parent’s house in Michigan until we move into our next place, so I can’t very well take pictures of it/them now, but I will once we go pick it up.

Just seeing the photos of you guys on the Southwest plane gets me excited "Luv" those beige and blue seats... well I love that they bring me to WDW anyway.

One of the casualties of the larger RAW file size was that I took fewer photos prior to us arriving. I also hadn’t tested the D7000's battery life (I didn’t have a spare as they cost $60/each and there aren’t any 3rd party batteries yet), so I wanted to be cautious with that the first day. That said, I do have a few more airport/airplane shots that I’ll post as I update the TR.

Tom- Did you "figaro-out" what the name of the fries at PVH were yet? Had ranch, bacon, lettuce, and cheese?? Figaro Fries!!!

Very dissapointed in the Mouse, for taking those off the menu. Although, my waistline probably should thank him.

Great report as always and amazing pictures as well...

Yes, of course, Figaro Fries!

I don’t recall their name, but Taste Pilot’s out at DCA has some wonderful fries that sound fairly similar to Figaro Fries.

As always Tom, your TRs are incredible! Also, pictures are amazing. I would have loved to have met up with you and saw you work (as I just felt silly with my tri and all my lenses not having shot Disney with a DSLR before) but you seemed wicked busy, reading this thread.

I promise you, it got colder before it got warmer! I spent 5 out of my 7 days in Disney with my gloves in my back pocket, just to make sure I wouldn't get numb fingers when shooting.

I can't wait to see more shots that you post up on Flickr. It's always an adventure to see what you come up with!

PS: Was it an iPhone 4 or 3G/3GS? The repair for a shattered display is a lot cheaper ($100) on a 3G/3GS because we (?) can replace just the display, as opposed to the entire phone like we have to for the iPhone 4. If the SIM keeps acting up, I suggest just using a paperclip to eject and re-insert the SIM card tray. That sometimes can fix an issue like that where it has trouble making contact.

It’s an iPhone 3GS. This actually sounds like it might be the first time ever that I’m glad I got the 3GS instead of the 4. When Sarah and I started our plan, she got the 4 and I got a recertified 3GS because I wanted to buy photo gear shortly thereafter, and saving $150 on the phone was how I could justify doing so. I’ve had problems with it freezing and crashing since day 1, but I figured that was just the nature of the 3GS as compared to the 4. I’ve since come to find out that probably isn’t the case, but rather, something was up with my phone.

I was pondering replacing the screen myself as I found a whole replacement kit on Amazon for like $34. However, for an extra $66, I think I will hedge my bets, and not run the risk of ruining the phone.

Great report and pictures! Thanks for including the information about the Wave and Jiko, those were two restaurants I was thinking about and now they are on the list! I can't wait to go now in June and I told the hubby we should go in late November too and he said okay, it must have been your great Christmas pics that convinced him!

Ha, glad we could help make another trip possible!

Great trip report, as always! I've learned a lot about how to take pictures at WDW from your reports.

A note about lens caps- I've lost lens caps multiple times at WDW, to the point that now I keep an extra set at the resort. But, someone recently told me that if you lose one, go to any lost and found because they have a box of lost lens caps there and will let you just take what you need.

About Snow White- she wasn't with the 7 Dwarves at MNSSHP this year, either. Not sure why they made that change but they did it for both Halloween and Christmas.

Happy New Year to you and Sarah- I met Sarah the night I was with some of the WDWP people at MK. She is the nicest person and even volunteered to take our picture for us. It's apparent from that, and some of your pictures, that she has some photography skills, herself

Unfortunately, the fisheye cap I lost is very unique, and I doubt it’s something they would have in the box (unless it’s specifically the one I lost!). I can’t even find a replacement for it available online to purchase!

It was nice meeting you at various random times throughout the trip. Sarah is very nice, indeed! Glad she did a good job taking the photo for you all!

Awesome report as always, Tom.

Put me in the camp of people who love your fisheye shots. It's such a unique perspective. I rented one for one trip and am debating renting one for our preview cruise on the Dream in a few weeks. Canon has a new L zoom fisheye! It's way out of my price range, but renting may be an option. I can't decide between renting a fisheye and a wide angle at this point.

Your parade shots btw are just stunning. I love them!

Now, take this with a grain of salt as I am a huge opponent of renting any photography equipment that costs <$1,000, but there is absolutely no way on earth I would rent a fisheye, for two reasons.

First, although it may not seem like it, you really have to practice using the fisheye to really master its learning curve. I didn’t practice using it at all before our honeymoon and ended up having to trash a lot of otherwise good photos because of some little mistake. I got a bit more practice before DLR and the Christmas trip, but still had to trash a lot.

Second, that overpriced Canon notwithstanding, fisheye lenses are relatively cheap. The first fisheye I got, the Tokina 10-17mm, you can get for around $350-400 on eBay. The fisheye I use now, the Rokinon/Bower/Pro-Optic/etc 8mm was only $230 on Overstock.com. It’s manual focus, but MF on a fisheye is cake (I think it’s far superior to the Tokina, for what it’s worth). Doesn’t renting it for a week cost around $100 after all is said and done?

Finally, as for that Canon...unless you have a full frame Canon and absolutely want one lens that does both circular and full frame shots, it’s a waste. Heck, even if you want a lens that does both, I still think it’s a waste. I have nothing against Canon, but a fisheye lens that costs $1,400? That’s ridiculous. Regardless of whether Canon has marketed it as “L”. Maybe if I were a professional skateboard or surf photographer, but otherwise, it’s serious overkill.

The Rokinon (that’s its brand on Overstock.com) is a great value for $230. It’s tack sharp, 8mm, and inexpensive. It doesn’t meter on some lower end Canons and Nikons, which could be a serious problem. If you don’t want it, I’d consider the Sigma 10mm f/2.8. I wouldn’t get the Tokina 10-17mm. It may seem attractive as it’s a zoom, but zoom is fairly useless on a fisheye, anyway.

All of that said, my actual recommendation would be to get an UWA first. I just bought the Sigma 8-16mm from a friend, and it is a great lens. I also have the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, which is also great. Besides the Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 (full frame...it’s so highly regarded that many Canon pros get converters to use it), I consider these the top two UWA lenses. The Sigma 10-20mm isn’t a bad option, either. I’m sure Canon has a quality UWA, too, but it’s probably more expensive than the Sigma 8-16 or Tokina 11-16, and it’s likely the Sigma or Tokina are better.

Tom youve outdone yourself again. Great pictures and great trip report, I love the Fantasmic pictures

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed them!

Thanks for sharing your trip report! I'm sorry that you and Sarah got sick during your trip, but if you hadn't mentioned it, I definitely wouldn't have known from your pictures. :]

I really enjoyed all of the cool shots you had not only of MVMCP but Cinderella's suite and the ones of your meal on the Indy set.

We still had a great time, so no big deal!

I have a lot more Cinderella Castle Suite photos forthcoming. The white balance and colors were really wacky in there, so I didn’t take the time to process may of them for the TR. I will post the rest once I get them processed.

Thanks for another great TR, Tom! You guys are the cutest couple, and your pictures really capture that Disney magic.. it's really appreciated =)

Glad you enjoyed!

Great TR-thanks for sharing it with us! Beautiful photos as always and loved learning a little more about D23.

We are now considering whether we’ll head to WDW for the next D23 event (Destination D) in the Spring, or if we’ll head out to DLR this Spring, instead. Still not sure.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Glad you enjoyed; we would have loved to meet everyone, but with everything else we had going on, it just wasn’t feasible. Hope you all had a great time!
I thought you had some time there at the same time as us! :lol:

If you were on a tight schedule, meeting us all at Germany might not have been a good thing, we gabbed for about an hour and a half! :lookaroun

But it would have been nice to have met you! :shrug:

Disneyfalcon

Now, take this with a grain of salt as I am a huge opponent of renting any photography equipment that costs <$1,000, but there is absolutely no way on earth I would rent a fisheye, for two reasons.

First, although it may not seem like it, you really have to practice using the fisheye to really master its learning curve. I didn’t practice using it at all before our honeymoon and ended up having to trash a lot of otherwise good photos because of some little mistake. I got a bit more practice before DLR and the Christmas trip, but still had to trash a lot.

Second, that overpriced Canon notwithstanding, fisheye lenses are relatively cheap. The first fisheye I got, the Tokina 10-17mm, you can get for around $350-400 on eBay. The fisheye I use now, the Rokinon/Bower/Pro-Optic/etc 8mm was only $230 on Overstock.com. It’s manual focus, but MF on a fisheye is cake (I think it’s far superior to the Tokina, for what it’s worth). Doesn’t renting it for a week cost around $100 after all is said and done?

Finally, as for that Canon...unless you have a full frame Canon and absolutely want one lens that does both circular and full frame shots, it’s a waste. Heck, even if you want a lens that does both, I still think it’s a waste. I have nothing against Canon, but a fisheye lens that costs $1,400? That’s ridiculous. Regardless of whether Canon has marketed it as “L”. Maybe if I were a professional skateboard or surf photographer, but otherwise, it’s serious overkill.

The Rokinon (that’s its brand on Overstock.com) is a great value for $230. It’s tack sharp, 8mm, and inexpensive. It doesn’t meter on some lower end Canons and Nikons, which could be a serious problem. If you don’t want it, I’d consider the Sigma 10mm f/2.8. I wouldn’t get the Tokina 10-17mm. It may seem attractive as it’s a zoom, but zoom is fairly useless on a fisheye, anyway.

All of that said, my actual recommendation would be to get an UWA first. I just bought the Sigma 8-16mm from a friend, and it is a great lens. I also have the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, which is also great. Besides the Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 (full frame...it’s so highly regarded that many Canon pros get converters to use it), I consider these the top two UWA lenses. The Sigma 10-20mm isn’t a bad option, either. I’m sure Canon has a quality UWA, too, but it’s probably more expensive than the Sigma 8-16 or Tokina 11-16, and it’s likely the Sigma or Tokina are better.

I totally agree! I never rent a lens that would cost less than $1000 anymore, the fisheye being the excepetion because I wasn't sure if I would like it. Mostly because I'm a lens snob.:lol:

Renting the expensive lenses comes out to around $100 for a week, less with the cheaper lenses.

I also agree about the fisheye learning curve. The first time I rented one, I definitely did not use it to it's full advantage. I did love how amazingly wide it was in tight spaces, i.e. inside resort rooms. I feel like I know what I was doing wrong with it, and can improve my shots this time, but I could be completely wrong there too!

I rented the 16-35L for my Med cruise and it was awesome. It's a $1600 lens and probably worth every penney.

You may be completely right about the new canon being overkill. They always tempt me with their L series though.

The Rokinon looks very interesting. (Who knew Overstock sold lenses?:lol:) I tend to gravitate towards low light lenses though. A 3.5 worries me. I seem to end up at 1.8 so often when I'm touring. I also need to find out which canons it won't meter on because that's an obvious deal breaker. But that is a great price!

Thanks so much for all the recommendations! I'm off to do some more research!:)

HollyBelle

Another excellent report, Tom! Exceptional photos, as always. My favorite might even be that picture of the Jiko filet with mac 'n' cheese. :lol: Oh how it breaks my heart to hear that they've taken it off the actual menu. I'm excited to see that the Wave was another hit for your party. It's quickly become one of our favorites, and I'm always afraid it's going to disappear because it's never busy when we're there.

I'm sorry to hear that the D23 events didn't live up to expectations, and at that price, that's a real shame. I would've been more than a little miffed, especially on that first night.

Oh yeah, and I love that your mom succeeded in getting herself on stage for then Indy show. How fun!

Sarabell

As always it has been a pleasure (and a couple of days of no work) to read your report. The pics were once more awsome! they make me so eager to visit WDW (I showed my sister your pics and she got so excited also, we just can`t wait!!)
Hopefully you`ll be back there soon to entertain us with a new trip report! Happy new year to you and Sarah!:sohappy:

WDWFigment

Original Poster
I thought you had some time there at the same time as us!

If you were on a tight schedule, meeting us all at Germany might not have been a good thing, we gabbed for about an hour and a half!

But it would have been nice to have met you!

It sounds like you all had a good time based on the account in your TR!

I totally agree! I never rent a lens that would cost less than $1000 anymore, the fisheye being the excepetion because I wasn't sure if I would like it. Mostly because I'm a lens snob.

Renting the expensive lenses comes out to around $100 for a week, less with the cheaper lenses.

I also agree about the fisheye learning curve. The first time I rented one, I definitely did not use it to it's full advantage. I did love how amazingly wide it was in tight spaces, i.e. inside resort rooms. I feel like I know what I was doing wrong with it, and can improve my shots this time, but I could be completely wrong there too!

I rented the 16-35L for my Med cruise and it was awesome. It's a $1600 lens and probably worth every penney.

You may be completely right about the new canon being overkill. They always tempt me with their L series though.

The Rokinon looks very interesting. (Who knew Overstock sold lenses?) I tend to gravitate towards low light lenses though. A 3.5 worries me. I seem to end up at 1.8 so often when I'm touring. I also need to find out which canons it won't meter on because that's an obvious deal breaker. But that is a great price!

Thanks so much for all the recommendations! I'm off to do some more research!

The L series name is good marketing, no doubt, but a lens doesn’t need an “L” on it to be high quality. Sigma and Tokina have lenses that outperform their Canon and Nikon counterparts.

Based upon this it looks like the metering issue may only be with Nikon; still might want to research it, though:
http://www.amazon.com/Rokinon-FE8M-C-Fisheye-Canon-Black/dp/B002LTXQUE It looks like Overstock only has the Olympus and Pentax mounts for it now.

Unless you plan on using it on dark rides or at night without a tripod, I wouldn’t fret too much over it not being f/2.8. Besides, the Canon fisheye is f/4.

Another excellent report, Tom! Exceptional photos, as always. My favorite might even be that picture of the Jiko filet with mac 'n' cheese. Oh how it breaks my heart to hear that they've taken it off the actual menu. I'm excited to see that the Wave was another hit for your party. It's quickly become one of our favorites, and I'm always afraid it's going to disappear because it's never busy when we're there.

I'm sorry to hear that the D23 events didn't live up to expectations, and at that price, that's a real shame. I would've been more than a little miffed, especially on that first night.

Oh yeah, and I love that your mom succeeded in getting herself on stage for then Indy show. How fun!

If the Wave is never busy, I wonder why they don’t take out some tables? Maybe it was just me, but I thought the tables were really close together. It was definitely a hit with us, and I’m pretty sure you’re one of the people who previously recommended it, so thanks!

As always it has been a pleasure (and a couple of days of no work) to read your report. The pics were once more awsome! they make me so eager to visit WDW (I showed my sister your pics and she got so excited also, we just can`t wait!!)
Hopefully you`ll be back there soon to entertain us with a new trip report! Happy new year to you and Sarah!

Glad you enjoyed it! We probably won’t be back too soon, I’m thinking late April or early May for our next Disneyland trip. I might not do a DLR trip report (or might not post it here if I do), so it may be a while before our next TR!

I have a decent number of updates for this one forthcoming, though. I’ve found that I left out a lot of pictures!

Disneyfalcon

The L series name is good marketing, no doubt, but a lens doesn’t need an “L” on it to be high quality. Sigma and Tokina have lenses that outperform their Canon and Nikon counterparts.

Based upon this it looks like the metering issue may only be with Nikon; still might want to research it, though:
http://www.amazon.com/Rokinon-FE8M-C-Fisheye-Canon-Black/dp/B002LTXQUE It looks like Overstock only has the Olympus and Pentax mounts for it now.

Unless you plan on using it on dark rides or at night without a tripod, I wouldn’t fret too much over it not being f/2.8. Besides, the Canon fisheye is f/4.

pictures!

Thanks for the link! I am fairly intimidated by the manual focus too. Do you ever struggle with it?

I have the Tamron 24-70 knock off of Canon's L version and have been very happy with it, so I'm not completely against other brands. That L still just seems to call my name though!:lol:

The Canon fisheye I rented was actually 2.8. For this trip I'm just thinking of being in close quarters, i.e. stateroom tours, with no time or room for a tripod. My 50d doesn't handle high ISO nearly as well as I had hoped.

Thanks again Tom! Didn't mean to hijack your thread!

lumpydj

Great TR! :sohappy: Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you didn't post about the wacko that started talking to you in the middle of the Poly lobby while you were taking pictures of the tree (Tuesday morning). That was me. :eek: I was so excited that I actually spotted someone from this forum that I completely forgot to tell you who I was. LOL! :ROFLOL: Sorry, you must have thought I was nuts. Anyway, I've been looking forward to seeing you post your pictures from the trip and the Picture of the Day thread is just too slow.

Thanks for the feedback on the D23 event. I almost extended our trip by another 2 days so we could go to the events too. However, because it was going to be too much trouble (flights, work, family, etc.), I decided not to bother trying to get tickets. Sounds like I didn't miss too much - although the castle tour would have been sweet.

:wave:Hi & Happy New Year To You and Sarah :>)
Thank you very much for the info on the dresses too. I really appeciate that tons.
This is one hell of a Trip Report!!! I loved it!!! I didn't get to read the whole thing but I will, promise.
I love your pictures too!!! Wonderful and I agree that the Toy Soldiers are one of the best things of the Christmas Party. We were there for Xmas Time about a year ago and we thought the very same thing! :)
Your trip report really gives me serious Disney Withdrawels....Just when I thought I can do it, I saw your report was reading it and getting excited and now want to go back again real soon.
I hope 2011 Will be the best year for you and Sarah! Hope all your deams and wishes come true. :sohappy::sohappy:

Fashionista007

Awesome report as always Tom :) I'm really sorry about your iPhone and I hope you have the Apple Care plan. I actually don't but after reading your story I feel like I should! I have a case for mine though heh. I drop it all the time. I think I dropped it 3 times on my last trip. Right on the concrete. Bam. You'd think it was my child who had smacked their head on the concrete by the way I acted! I can't live without my iPhone.

I haven't been down to WDW at Christmas for a long time now and I loved seeing all your pictures, it really got me in the spirit! I follow you on twitter too but it's ok if you don't follow me @WaltSentMe007. Funny, my fiance and I were talking about the new social networking etiquitte that has cropped up in the past few years. I was upset because some people I'm friends with on Facebook didn't even comment when I got engaged. Twitter is a different story though, I don't follow everyone that follows me either. I don't really care if Justin Beiber passed Britney Spears in popularity on Twitter. #steppingdownfromsoapbox

I'm really into the podcasts and blogs too and I had heard of everything you mentioned. I wish I had more of a commute to work so I could listen to all of the podcasts every week. I listen to WDW Today, WDW Radio, BetaMouse, and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head. I love Touring Plans too and I read your posts there as well :)

Whoopi Goldberg/Guinan at the Candlelight Processional would have been the highlight of my trip! I'm a Star Trek nerd <insert nerdy emote here>

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom