The birthday, we're posers, I wanna go home trip report: July 1-16, 2011

I'm back and ready to start another trip report if only so that I can remember it while making my scrapbooking pages. Now, just a foreword, this may get a little wordy as there are lots of things that I want to remember. This shouldn't be a problem, as you can just scroll through all the words, or block the report all together! :lookaroun:lol:

So, here goes! This is another road trip from Minnesota from July 1- July 16, 2011. We had been tentatively planning this for awhile, but I wasn't sure that it would actually happen until pretty close to the time we were leaving.

Before I go further, here's who is on the trip.

Me: turning 38 while there, certified Disney lover

Sam: DH 37, had his first trip at the age of 18 with his two sisters and mom, was the only one on the trip that had any fun, and (I believe) is now an even bigger Disney lover that me- he may debate that, but he has a friend at work who is another DVC owner, and they spend all day talking about Disney and sending texts to each other while on vacation.

Lexy: DD 16, not a certified Disney lover! She was actually really excited about this trip until three months ago when she got a boyfriend. Now she wants nothing to do with this trip at all!!! She has been whining that she DOES NOT want to go. She wants to stay home with her Nana and Papa. Not happening!

Lainey: DD 10, my teenager in training. She is getting those eyerolls and sighs down pat from her older sister.

Roddy: DS 9, our easy going one. He will do anything and have a smile on his face while doing it. He is the reason I'm not totally insane now! :ROFLOL:

Bella: DD 7, our thrill seeker. She is here for the rides and little else. She is the one known to complain when she's not feeling things are going her way.

Oh, boy, I have a feeling this is going to be a fun one! So let's get started!!

Thursday June 30th. Sam worked a full day and I was scheduled to work at the dance studio that the girls dance at. I work there a few days a month to help with my dance bill. I was working to 9 pm, which Sam was not happy about at all! He wanted everything packed and ready to go, which it was not. Now Sam is a doer, I'm the resident procrastinator. I always think that I have plenty of time to get things done. We were originally going to leave on Saturday, but then Sam said we should leave on Friday night so that we could get there earlier and go to the parks on Sunday too. We wanted to see the Fourth fireworks on Sunday at Magic Kingdom then go to Epcot on the actual Fourth. We decided to get a room at a cheap hotel we found a deal on at allears for $69 a night on Sunday night. I wasn't sure if they would let me fit all my kids in there for that price, so I said I only had two kids. Flame away! :drevil: So I was under the impression that we were leaving on Friday night. Plenty of time for me to get stuff done.

I got home from working at the studio to find Sam in a complete panic. He does not like things hanging over his head. We decided to hit Cub Foods up to get some things to bring in the car with us to eat. We were at the check out when Sam wanted me to grab something else. I knew that time was of the essence to Sam so I was really hurrying. I guess on my way back, you could hear my flip flops crazily coming. Sam said that the check out person was looking like what is that? There was a stock boy ahead of me that I was coming up behind closely. He kept looking back over his shoulder with a scared expression on his face. I think he thought I was going to run him over. Sam was laughing so hard in the car on the way home. He said that I was giving "stocking" a new meaning. He thought the guy figured I was stalking him. I think that lightened things up for Sam a little, or at least I thought so. It was now getting late so Sam went to bed to get ready for our day of leaving.

Friday July 1, 2011. Leaving day. Again, I thought I had plenty of time to get ready. So I woke up and went on the computer for a bit. I was not scrapbooking, but I was doing things related to it. Sam was furious that I was scrapbooking while he was trying to get things ready to leave. I thought that we were taking naps and such, so I figured I would just skip my nap. Nope, suddenly Sam decided that we were leaving ASAP. Why was I not giving the memo on this? He wanted to leave by like 1 pm. Yeah, that was going to happen. I still had to run to Target to pick up some things, and I really wanted Roddy to get a hair cut. The Justin Beiber look alike thing that he was trying to get started was just not working for me! So after some grumbling, we managed to get out of the house and packed up around 3 or so.
Are we one big happy family or what?
IMG_3233.jpg

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
IMG_3634.jpg

IMG_3636.jpg

Love the Cars topiary.

IMG_3637.jpg

IMG_3638.jpg

Roddy got so excited whenever we ran into a bunny.

IMG_3640.jpg

IMG_3642.jpg

Don't bother girls, it's not the fountain of youth.

IMG_3644.jpg

IMG_3646.jpg

We were at Akershus and checked in right away. We got our picture with Belle, and we were seated on the side where we had never been before.

IMG_3650.jpg

Who's hungry?

IMG_3652.jpg

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
IMG_3655.jpg

That's Roddy's plate. He ate so many plates it was hard to keep up!

IMG_3656.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg

IMG_3660.jpg

IMG_3661.jpg

Roddy got three more pasteries. I said that there was no way he could eat all those, but he did.

IMG_3662.jpg

IMG_3663.jpg

IMG_3665.jpg

IMG_3666.jpg

IMG_3668.jpg

popsicletrees

Sam drove us through the mountains because I hate all the turns. I do love these signs everywhere though, although I wanted to see a truck using one of them but didn't.

IMG_3264.jpg

I'm still getting caught up on your report, but I know exactly where this is! I remember having to drive it one weekend in January with ice on the ground - not fun.

PartOfYourWorld

Love the trip report!!!!

I just wanted to comment, the Jasmine from Akershus has a really big nose and her look just didn't fit Jasmine right. I also didn't know that Jasmine appeared at Akershus, when me and my mom went there in January Ariel was there not Jasmine. I never knew they changed the Princesses around every so often. But I love that place for breakfast!

Love the pictures of the Boardwalk! My goal one day is to stay there, I just think it's the most beautiful resort on property!!

Can't wait for more!

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
:lol: I told her that if Mitch and her made it through a year then I'd consider it. But there was no way I was taking someone that she just started dating a few months ago, especially at that age!

As long as Mitch got some Disney World money that would be cool...

You could even be in secret with Mitch. Make him lie and say he is going on a vaca at the same time as you guys so there can be no "I wanna stay home" crap. THEN have Mitch meet you guys somewhere "unexpectedly"

I should get paid for the $hit I come up with...seriously.

ashley_marie

I'm 17 and I have honestly never even considered staying home while my family went to Disney :eek:
I can't imagine staying home. My BF can wait until I get home :ROFLOL:

sweetpee_1993

Awesome update.

And..OMG! A full size washer & dryer. That's like totally beast! The only thing that coulda rocked that would be if they were super-capacity front-loaders on pedestals...or maybe furnished with a full-time laundry guy that's totally smokin' hot just so you could sit back and enjoy the view as he did your laundry for you. Seriously, staying in a 2 bedroom would be so great with all that space.

I really do think Tracey & Sam were cast from the same mold. The slushy thing sounds right on par. Remind me to tell you about the It's Tough To Be a Bug blow-out sometime. :rolleyes:

Akershus. Wow! Y'all were the first ones in, huh? Looks like it in the pics. And Roddy with his full plates! Just you wait! Teen boys are like walking dumpsters. I have no clue how Chandler can consume so much food sometimes. I'd be sick! And just when you think, "Okay, he's full. We're good for a couple hours," he'll pop up hungry again. Each time this gets really noticably bad I find that it's quickly followed by purchases for new shorts, jeans, or shoes because he's outgrown something. Again.

Oh yeah! You're on the dining plan this trip! We've done the dining plan twice. Both times Tracey and I each gained no less than 10 lbs. a piece. :eek: The dining plan isn't my friend at any price. :lol:

Great stuff! Can't wait to see what's next! :wave:

Btw, the summers we spent at my dad's house in Virginia when I was 12-14 we had a 3rd cousin (he was my age) whose gf went everywhere with him. Seriously. When my cousin came to stay at our place for a week his girlfriend came, too. Officially he crashed in my brother's room & she crashed in mine. Don't ask me how that really went because it's not what parents want to hear. :lookaroun She was a sweet girl and we became fast friends being the same age and all. She went to Busch Gardens Williamsburg with all the family, Kings Dominion, the beach, water parks, you name it. I even stayed the night with her at her house a couple times. I recently found out she was killed last year on my birthday by a crazed ex-spouse (not my cousin, obviously). Shocking and sad. Stands out to me. I think I'd let my boys bring a gf on a trip if they wanted her to but I'd be much more diligent with the supervision then my dad, his ex-wife, or any of the parents were. I don't blame you for wanting it to be a bf that has more time invested before bringing him along, either. That makes total sense!

switts

I could not wait to get into that room. In no time we were back and there! And, we got a renovated room! I was psyched! I loved the wood floors!! Here's a billion pictures of our room.

IMG_3544.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

IMG_3560.jpg

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3562.jpg

IMG_3563.jpg

IMG_3564.jpg

IMG_3566.jpg

IMG_3567.jpg

IMG_3568.jpg

I love Old Key West. My favorite resort on the property. I am now going to have to look into staying in one of those rooms on one of my next few trips

eagles

:ROFLOL: at sam for being the evil parent. priceless! i could so see me doing just that.

and good for sam for speaking up about the tables at rose and crown. yay for indoor seating in melt your face off temps.

i am the only one that would not be excited about a washer and dryer while on vacation? :shrug:

diddy_mouse

I really liked the pictures of OKW. The room looks very spacious and has that great airy feel to it.

Ooh! Early morning Epcot resort pictures...my favorite! And how cool is it that you were the first at the International Gateway that morning? I love seeing the park before all the crowds invade -- err -- arrive. :lol:

minnie2000

I'm really enjoying your report! The kids look like they are having fun, and Old Key West looks great - I would love to stay there one day. :)

disneygirl1

Great start Jenn! I see Lexy has changed her hair color since the Aug trip! Very Nice!

I am so jealous I want to do on vacation to Disney for 16 days!!! I most join DVC ASAP!!! :lol:

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
I'm still getting caught up on your report, but I know exactly where this is! I remember having to drive it one weekend in January with ice on the ground - not fun.

That is why we don't drive in January!! Too much like driving at home!

NomNomNomNomNom!!!

Feeling like some caramel?

Love the trip report!!!!

I just wanted to comment, the Jasmine from Akershus has a really big nose and her look just didn't fit Jasmine right. I also didn't know that Jasmine appeared at Akershus, when me and my mom went there in January Ariel was there not Jasmine. I never knew they changed the Princesses around every so often. But I love that place for breakfast!

Love the pictures of the Boardwalk! My goal one day is to stay there, I just think it's the most beautiful resort on property!!

Can't wait for more!

Thanks!

I didn't care for the look of the princesses that day either. I think they change them all the time though. Once we had Mulan and Mary Poppins I believe. I was hoping for Ariel, but it just wasn't to be that day.

As long as Mitch got some Disney World money that would be cool...

You could even be in secret with Mitch. Make him lie and say he is going on a vaca at the same time as you guys so there can be no "I wanna stay home" crap. THEN have Mitch meet you guys somewhere "unexpectedly"

I should get paid for the $hit I come up with...seriously.

If they're still together in a year, I'll call you for some ideas. :lol:

I'm 17 and I have honestly never even considered staying home while my family went to Disney
I can't imagine staying home. My BF can wait until I get home

Can I give you Lexy's number? She could use that kind of advice! :lol:

Awesome update.

And..OMG! A full size washer & dryer. That's like totally beast! The only thing that coulda rocked that would be if they were super-capacity front-loaders on pedestals...or maybe furnished with a full-time laundry guy that's totally smokin' hot just so you could sit back and enjoy the view as he did your laundry for you. Seriously, staying in a 2 bedroom would be so great with all that space.

I really do think Tracey & Sam were cast from the same mold. The slushy thing sounds right on par. Remind me to tell you about the It's Tough To Be a Bug blow-out sometime.

Akershus. Wow! Y'all were the first ones in, huh? Looks like it in the pics. And Roddy with his full plates! Just you wait! Teen boys are like walking dumpsters. I have no clue how Chandler can consume so much food sometimes. I'd be sick! And just when you think, "Okay, he's full. We're good for a couple hours," he'll pop up hungry again. Each time this gets really noticably bad I find that it's quickly followed by purchases for new shorts, jeans, or shoes because he's outgrown something. Again.

Oh yeah! You're on the dining plan this trip! We've done the dining plan twice. Both times Tracey and I each gained no less than 10 lbs. a piece. The dining plan isn't my friend at any price.

Great stuff! Can't wait to see what's next!

Btw, the summers we spent at my dad's house in Virginia when I was 12-14 we had a 3rd cousin (he was my age) whose gf went everywhere with him. Seriously. When my cousin came to stay at our place for a week his girlfriend came, too. Officially he crashed in my brother's room & she crashed in mine. Don't ask me how that really went because it's not what parents want to hear. :lookaroun She was a sweet girl and we became fast friends being the same age and all. She went to Busch Gardens Williamsburg with all the family, Kings Dominion, the beach, water parks, you name it. I even stayed the night with her at her house a couple times. I recently found out she was killed last year on my birthday by a crazed ex-spouse (not my cousin, obviously). Shocking and sad. Stands out to me. I think I'd let my boys bring a gf on a trip if they wanted her to but I'd be much more diligent with the supervision then my dad, his ex-wife, or any of the parents were. I don't blame you for wanting it to be a bf that has more time invested before bringing him along, either. That makes total sense!

Too funny! If I had a washer and dryer set up like that at Disney, I may never get to the parks!!

I so want to hear the ITTBAB story now!!

The dining plan is so not my friend right now. It was my best friend while we were there, but I had to say goodbye! LOL

I'm sorry about your cousin's GF. That sounds horrible! I guess she should have married your cousin!

I love Old Key West. My favorite resort on the property. I am now going to have to look into staying in one of those rooms on one of my next few trips

I love it too! So beautiful!

at sam for being the evil parent. priceless! i could so see me doing just that.

and good for sam for speaking up about the tables at rose and crown. yay for indoor seating in melt your face off temps.

i am the only one that would not be excited about a washer and dryer while on vacation?

I'm excited about the washer dryer because I can bring less clothes then and just wash them everyday. Less clothes in the bags means more room for souveneirs! LOL

aewsome report I'm loving it ,Lexy looks like Ariel :)

Thanks! Lexy would like to play Ariel someday at DW.

I really liked the pictures of OKW. The room looks very spacious and has that great airy feel to it.

Ooh! Early morning Epcot resort pictures...my favorite! And how cool is it that you were the first at the International Gateway that morning? I love seeing the park before all the crowds invade -- err -- arrive.

I like you attitude about the crowds. I'm not sure what they're doing letting all those people in my parks anyway! :lol:

I'm really enjoying your report! The kids look like they are having fun, and Old Key West looks great - I would love to stay there one day. :)

Thanks! You should try OKW. It is so peaceful there!

I'm really enjoying your PTR! Great job! Hope you're putting up more updates soon! :)

Thanks! I'll try to get more up now!

Great start Jenn! I see Lexy has changed her hair color since the Aug trip! Very Nice!

I am so jealous I want to do on vacation to Disney for 16 days!!! I most join DVC ASAP!!! :lol:

Have you called DVC yet? :lol:

It was a dilemma about the hair. Lexy wanted to try something, but was worried she would hate it. It has tamed down a bit, but she loves it.

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
For some reason as we came out of Akershus, Roddy and Bella were all about taking as many pictures as they could!

IMG_3672.jpg

IMG_3673.jpg

IMG_3676.jpg

IMG_3677.jpg

IMG_3680.jpg

IMG_3683.jpg

Here's my, "What the margarita stand is not open at 9am?!?! What the heck?"

IMG_3682.jpg

Lainey danced her way through Disney.

IMG_3689.jpg

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
There was almost no line for Soarin', so we hit that next.

IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3691.jpg

IMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

Then we rode Test Track. Roddy and Lainey are all about finding hidden mickeys.

IMG_3698.jpg

IMG_3703.jpg

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3709.jpg

Photo0011FourBySix.jpg

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
We had never been to Universe of Energy before, and I thought it was a good idea to venture there.

IMG_3711.jpg

IMG_3713.jpg

Now, I knew Roddy would like this because he's loves him some dinosaurs, but I knew everyone else would fight me on it. Oh, boy, did they ever! The movie was in progress when we walked in. Lexy was already putting up a fight. She thought it would be BORING...Then, they moved us in to get in the vehicles and they HAD to keep stressing that it was a 25 minute ride, you could not get out. I was like SHUT UP, don't you know that my son is the only one who wants to do this, and you are not making it easy to talk the other ones into it??? I just kept ignoring them when they complained to me. Sam was even saying, what? Are we really doing this?

Well, we did it, and Roddy enjoyed it. I really thought the others could suck it up. It wasn't that bad. Hopefully they might have even learned something.

We were done here for now. Really, we were only hanging around until 11 am. Then, the refreshment port would be opened and Sam could get his Epcot mug that he had seen there the other day. I can't tell you how excited we were to find park specific mugs. We used to collect them when they were resort specific, and what they have now isn't as fabulous, but it is definitely a step in the right direction. The resort mugs were much cuter this year, we bought two. And we managed to find a mug for each park too. Yay!

On the way out, we saw Pocahontas.

IMG_3717.jpg

OMG, was it ever hot by this point! We couldn't wait to get in the car and get that air going!

IMG_3723.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Coree's comment cracked me up! She really did love that place! :lol:

I love your Test Track poses!

I am super impressed with your rennovated room at Old Key West! It's so nice! And huge!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom