That time of year: pop warner football

flynnibus

Premium Member
But I am sure that you had to tell your daughter more than a few times that it was not appropiate? If she saw some other gymnast doing a cart wheel in the parks do you not think that she would do that same to tell the other 'hey, I can do that to'?

No - she would go and talk to her.. and make plans to meet somewhere else to do gymnastics.

I did have to correct her - long ago.

The concepts of being loud or obnoxious in a crowd.. is something most kids get introduced when they are toddlers.. not teenagers.

zbsigpi

If my kids act up, I correct them. But by 12 (and younger) they knew what was and wasn't polite.

And I've never been of the mindset to yell at someone else's child. If you are, that's your issue. But again, it's not too much to expect a group of them to look around at the masses surrounding and be aware that starting a chant or cheer at the top of their lungs may not be the most polite thing to do....

And my children also know what is and is not acceptable, however do they always follow my teachings? I would be silly to think that they did.
I am not advocating yelling at anybody and try not to yell at my children which sometimes is necessary, what I am saying is to tell them politely that you find their behavior unacceptable and why.

I agree that is it not too much to expect however kids get carried away.

zbsigpi

No - she would go and talk to her.. and make plans to meet somewhere else to do gymnastics.

I did have to correct her - long ago.

The concepts of being loud or obnoxious in a crowd.. is something most kids get introduced when they are toddlers.. not teenagers.
But rules change when you become a teen, don't you remember? I'm a teen I can do anything! You have to remember they are still learning.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
And my children also know what is and is not acceptable, however do they always follow my teachings? I would be silly to think that they did.
I am not advocating yelling at anybody and try not to yell at my children which sometimes is necessary, what I am saying is to tell them politely that you find their behavior unacceptable and why.

I agree that is it not too much to expect however kids get carried away.
Do you honestly believe these groups haven't been asked that before? Truly? There is a reason the Pop Warner football teams were given codes of conduct by Disney. Perhaps the cheer teams should receive the same.

You know, from someone other than their parents/coaches/teachers that they listen to. Because after all, it should have to reach that point....

lobelia

I went during "Magical Music Days" last spring. I did not see one teenager from the many groups that participated act disrespectfully or do anything that brought any sort of attention to themselves or their group other than wearing matching t-shirts or performing at their invited time slot for the entertainment of the crowd. I heard no singing or chanting or screaming. Perhaps it has something to do with teenagers who are actually taught chants and cheers.

Teenagers in themselves may not think everything through, but should at least know these actions impact others. I hope they have been taught that their right to scream in line does not supersede the rights of the rest to enjoy the ambiance of the parks. WDW should also be clear when organizing these events that groups that continue to chant "scream" in line for rides, buses, hotels and other places will no longer continue participating in these events. I think if students have been given clear expectations and are held accountable they typical behave appropriately.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
And in the absence of their chaperons, we as adults need to hold them accountable and most of them will behave appropriately!
No, I'm not paying my hard-earned dollars on a vacation to play nanny to someone else's child.

They learn behavior from their parents, relatives, teachers, and last of all their coaches. Particularly the coaches for the tournament at Disney they're attending. And considering they have conduct rules to follow while competing, expecting some of that, just a modicum, of the same behavior isn't too much to ask.

Get over the "it takes a village, and those villagers that don't help are part of the problem" mentality....

zbsigpi

Do you honestly believe these groups haven't been asked that before? Truly? There is a reason the Pop Warner football teams were given codes of conduct by Disney. Perhaps the cheer teams should receive the same.

You know, from someone other than their parents/coaches/teachers that they listen to. Because after all, it should have to reach that point....

I am sure groups have been asked to quiet down! But at what point do you stop telling kids to behave? For one kid it could be only once for another it could be 10 times yet for another it could be 100 times that you have to tell them to behave before they understand.
The football teams were thrown out due to fighting. There is a BIG difference between Cheering and fighting. And I am almost positive that ALL attendees staying within the Pop Warner room block are made to sign the code of conduct.

I believe that groups of children should be chaperoned by a responsible adult. I know that if any of my youngest sons coaches were to say one word to the team no matter how loud they were, the team would immediately reply with a word or phrase and shut up. The problem is we are expecting a group of kids who is unchaperoned to behave quietly.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I am sure groups have been asked to quiet down! But at what point do you stop telling kids to behave? For one kid it could be only once for another it could be 10 times yet for another it could be 100 times that you have to tell them to behave before they understand.
The football teams were thrown out due to fighting. There is a BIG difference between Cheering and fighting. And I am almost positive that ALL attendees staying within the Pop Warner room block are made to sign the code of conduct.

I believe that groups of children should be chaperoned by a responsible adult. I know that if any of my youngest sons coaches were to say one word to the team no matter how loud they were, the team would immediately reply with a word or phrase and shut up. The problem is we are expecting a group of kids who is unchaperoned to behave quietly.
Stop? Until they get the picture...

And yes, fighting and other disruptive behavior. Disruptive; that sounds vaguely familiar....

No, not behave quietly. Just behave as if they weren't the only group of kids or other people in the park. Again, not too much to ask.

zbsigpi

No, I'm not paying my hard-earned dollars on a vacation to play nanny to someone else's child.

They learn behavior from their parents, relatives, teachers, and last of all their coaches. Particularly the coaches for the tournament at Disney they're attending. And considering they have conduct rules to follow while competing, expecting some of that, just a modicum, of the same behavior isn't too much to ask.

Get over the "it takes a village, and those villagers that don't help are part of the problem" mentality....

What I have also been advocating is standing up for your rights and part of which would be saying something to the group, a person in the group, or a CM.

zbsigpi

Stop? Until they get the picture...

And yes, fighting and other disruptive behavior. Disruptive; that sounds vaguely familiar....

No, not behave quietly. Just behave as if they weren't the only group of kids or other people in the park. Again, not too much to ask.

I don't know why don't you just ask the groups of kids?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
What I have also been advocating is standing up for your rights and part of which would be saying something to the group, a person in the group, or a CM.
And again, why should I waste my valuable time to do so? When an ounce of self-control from them is all that it would take to prevent these situations. And please don't tell me they're not capable....

zbsigpi

And again, why should I waste my valuable time to do so? When an ounce of self-control from them is all that it would take to prevent these situations. And please don't tell me they're not capable....
So its a waste of time to stand up for your rights? And since your time is so valuable why are you waiting in line for 15 minutes to ride Dumbo?
Yes they are capable. But did you always behave when you were young?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
So its a waste of time to stand up for your rights? And since your time is so valuable why are you waiting in line for 15 minutes to ride Dumbo?
Yes they are capable. But did you always behave when you were young?
It's a waste of time to admonish children I don't know, who probably would listen to what I was saying (if they could hear me to begin with), and should (yet again) have an ounce of common decency towards those around them.

No, but I wasn't cheering, chanting or yelling with a group of kids while at WDW either. Try another avenue to give them a pass....

zbsigpi

Because I'm not the one excusing their behavior by blaming strangers for not yelling at them....

I am in no way excusing their behavior! But I am trying to help everyone realize that they do not realize that singing a song/cheer is ing other people off because it does not them off. If it does not upset me the cheerer then why would it upset someone else?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I am in no way excusing their behavior! But I am trying to help everyone realize that they do not realize that singing a song/cheer is ing other people off because it does not them off. If it does not upset me the cheerer then why would it upset someone else?
And just how do you manage to speak for all of the "other people?" There's plenty of complaints in this thread, and countless others that would say otherwise. And it's not too hard to imagine that number might be magnified by those not on this forum.

And so the rationale is, if it's ok by you because you're a cheerer, then anyone else should be ok with it as well? Well, that's a self-serving one....

psukardi

If these children don't have the decency/common sense to not act like savages in the park, some random stranger is not going to impact their lives and make them change their ways. And a CM isn't going to say anything either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom