That time of year: pop warner football

Ben_since_1971

Jimmy's thoughts on Pop Warner...

Let them be kids, they are at WDW after all.

Jimmy Thick- Some people were never young at one time in their life?
Speaking for myself, I do let kids be kids. They are kids after all, and I do remember what it was like to be one. In fact, whenever I take my nephews out, I have one rule only - have fun, but don't go over the top. In the two years I have had to deal with Pop Warner directly at the resorts, 98% of the groups are what you would consider 'model' groups - kids being kids and responsible chaperones (parents and coaches) reining them in when needed.

However, the 2% that are downright rude, obnoxious and act like they own the place that people (myself included) don't like. I personally would not have a problem with girls cheering in line if it were done in the spirit of 'kids being kids'. If however, the girls were being obnoxious and trying to be obnoxious, I would have a problem with it. I know that my definition differs from others, but I try to cut the groups some slack. Their trip is a celebration of their season, and they are supposed to have fun. And after all, kids are kids.

But at the risk of bringing a sociological discussion into play, there are modicums of behavior that are expected in scenarios such as being in a theme park, and they apply to anyone and everyone, whether they be a Pop Warner group, a family reunion, a family of four, a couple, anyone. And for me, it's the rule I quoted before - have fun, but don't go over the top. I would object to some loudmouth being obnoxious while waiting in line just as much as I would object to the Anytown USA mite cheerleading squad being obnoxious in line.

luv

I agree that most of the kids are typical kids. They might laugh loudly or be silly, but they are generally normal...what you'd expect from teens.

It is the rare group that is cheering or yelling or cutting.

Jimmy Thick

Speaking for myself, I do let kids be kids. They are kids after all, and I do remember what it was like to be one. In fact, whenever I take my nephews out, I have one rule only - have fun, but don't go over the top. In the two years I have had to deal with Pop Warner directly at the resorts, 98% of the groups are what you would consider 'model' groups - kids being kids and responsible chaperones (parents and coaches) reining them in when needed.

However, the 2% that are downright rude, obnoxious and act like they own the place that people (myself included) don't like. I personally would not have a problem with girls cheering in line if it were done in the spirit of 'kids being kids'. If however, the girls were being obnoxious and trying to be obnoxious, I would have a problem with it. I know that my definition differs from others, but I try to cut the groups some slack. Their trip is a celebration of their season, and they are supposed to have fun. And after all, kids are kids.

But at the risk of bringing a sociological discussion into play, there are modicums of behavior that are expected in scenarios such as being in a theme park, and they apply to anyone and everyone, whether they be a Pop Warner group, a family reunion, a family of four, a couple, anyone. And for me, it's the rule I quoted before - have fun, but don't go over the top. I would object to some loudmouth being obnoxious while waiting in line just as much as I would object to the Anytown USA mite cheerleading squad being obnoxious in line.

I can forgive a group of kids being loud, rude and obnoxious at WDW because they are, well kids. If I was 10-12 years old with my friends and not around a parent, Lord knows the trouble I could cause because I would be dead set to having fun. I can't blame these groups and I surely would not say anything to them unless harm was being made to my family. You're only young once and once you lose that innocence, you never get it back, no matter how many times you try to go back to WDW.

I get what you're saying, but its not important to me personally.

Jimmy Thick- I would rather look for chipped paint.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I signed up for some Pop Warner ball, last year. I found that trampling the 8-9 year olds (the age group I signed up for) was a great way to reduce stress. I averaged 34 yards every time I touched the ball. Of course, some parents were all suspicious of my grey hairs and stubble. I made sure to babble a lot about kid topics to allay their concerns. For example I might say, "Boy, I sure am interested in whatever elementary school age boys are interested in nowadays!" That worked like a charm. Plus, there was the Disney trip. I was one of the few kids brave enough to go on Tower of Terror! What a bunch of wimps.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom