News Test Track to be reimagined

zipadee999

According to your profile…you weren’t “bored” if you visited in 2000…you were learning how to use the potty

Mmmm hmmm…this is another case of “I never saw it…so you have to PROVE to me it happened” 🙄

I have great hope for the future of Disney fandom (if it’s still around 😬)
And regardless of who was there and who wasn’t, the proof is in the lineup. If you take a 2024 map of Epcot, a 2000 map of Epcot, and an 80s map of Epcot, the 2000 map is going to prove itself pretty quickly to have the weakest attraction lineup

TrainsOfDisney

EPCOT was also very much loved by children as well. Including child me in the early 90s.
Sadly, not me. I liked the double decker bus, the friendship boats and the original Illuminations - that’s it. I told my parents the rest “looked boring” - and we spent more time at Studios and MK.

I would have absolutely loved the original figment and horizons - little did I know :(

Thankfully I’ve gotten to see everything else I missed in that park.

Bocabear

Real Memphis design was whimsical, modern and fabulous... And there was a lot of it around... Michael Graves work utilized that style heavily...for a while anyway. It was the best of the 80s design trends....

Gusey

Maybe there were people who thought EPCOT was originally boring... but not everyone likes Frozen and Encanto either.
100%, there needs to be a good balance and at the moment, there actually is:
IP Based:
  1. Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind
  2. Seas with Nemo and Friends
  3. Journey of Water Inspired by Moana
  4. Ratatouille
  5. Frozen
  6. Three Caballeros
  7. Beauty and the Beast Sing Along
  8. Celebracion Encanto
Non-IP Based:
  1. Spaceship Earth
  2. Mission Space
  3. Test Track
  4. Journey into Imagination
  5. Soarin
  6. Living with the Land
  7. Impressions de France
  8. Reflections of China
  9. Canada: Far and Wide

Brer Panther

IP Based:
  1. Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind
  2. Seas with Nemo and Friends
  3. Journey of Water Inspired by Moana
  4. Ratatouille
  5. Frozen
  6. Three Caballeros
  7. Beauty and the Beast Sing Along
  8. Celebracion Encanto
Non-IP Based:
  1. Spaceship Earth
  2. Mission Space
  3. Test Track
  4. Journey into Imagination
  5. Soarin
  6. Living with the Land
  7. Impressions de France
  8. Reflections of China
  9. Canada: Far and Wide
And who knows how long those non-IP based rides are going to STAY non-IP with Iger in charge? Apparently they might be considering turning Living With the Land into an Zootopia ride.
So put it in the appropriate place.
Yes. This is something that Disney seems not to get.

Ratatouille in the France pavilion? Fits fine, even if the attraction itself sucks.

Encanto and Indiana Jones in Animal Kingdom? Does not fit.

James Alucobond

Encanto and IJ look to be having the most effort put into them to make them fit out of literally all the things announced for WDW, so continuing to whine about them endlessly in every topic (related or not) is not especially productive. People would generally complain far less if other attractions had equal effort put into reworking the surrounding land to make things feel cohesive.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What’s the Memphis referring to? I’ve never smelled BBQ or seen mallard ducks in the indoor fountains? (I’m being silly but genuinely interested)
Oversized geometric architecture and furniture with solid blocks of color in teal, tomato soup orange, and primary accents.

The Swolphin's interior was envisioned as striped seaside cabana-tents blown up way out of proportion. That's all gone from the lobbies now. But, if you enter the Dolphin lakeside, on the ground floor and going up the escalators, you can still see those elements.

Also, the outside of the Dolphin is supposed to be a an island raise out of the sea, and it's just a triangle -- in teal and orange.

1724973232221.png

Welcome to Memphis!

Quietmouse

And who knows how long those non-IP based rides are going to STAY non-IP with Iger in charge? Apparently they might be considering turning Living With the Land into an Zootopia ride.

Yes. This is something that Disney seems not to get.

Ratatouille in the France pavilion? Fits fine, even if the attraction itself sucks.

Couldn’t disagree more. The land itself is fine and if they themed around jungles/adventure/animals then it will fit just fine.

Mr. Sullivan

would an ip free Epcot survive in this day and age ? I look at my own kids as an example, and I genuinely think they would be board out of their minds with the majority of the rides Epcot had to offer back then outside of journey into your imagination.
The real answer is no, but I know that’s hard pill to swallow. I’m a major EPCOT fan, wish more than anything that I got to experience most of the original stuff, but the truth is that we don’t get any element of the park’s core ideas and themes, even fleeting ones, without the inclusion of IP.

That’s not even necessarily all Disney’s choice. The guests actively want that. The percentage of people hungry for OLDCOT style attractions with no IP and such is far dwarfed by the percentage of people who aren’t.

But beyond that, time just caught up to EPCOT in the same way it did Tomorrowland. The future gets here eventually and it just isn’t workable to come in and redo attractions every 10 or 15 years when the world catches up to their views of tomorrow. All of the muses of tomorrow of those classic EPCOT rides have been passed.

The original ones that remain either rooted themselves mostly in the past (SSE, though it does touch on tomorrow, it is mainly a look back) or deal with ideas relevant to today (LWtL).

That combined with the demands of I’d say a solid 95-97% of the guests visiting these parks is what has changed EPCOT.

The original EPCOT was wonderful. Iconic. But no, it would not survive in 2024. In some other timeline maybe but the world we live in showed that the future EPCOT looked to just was never going to come to fruition and it would make those attractions seem very out of place these days.

It’s hard to remember now but there was a time when EPCOT was viewed as a dying place and that was right when they began this almost 25 year cycle now of tinkering with it. Had they just let it sit any longer I honestly think EPCOT would look even less like it’s original self today.

What the audiences want changed. We cannot sit here and say “it worked then” and still blindly believe it would now. It wouldn’t. The audience of 1981 and the audience of 2024 are not the same. Time changes all cultures. What the people who participate in that culture, especially pop culture, want changes.

Disney fans, and EPCOT fans in general; just have to remember that they are but a small drop of water in a large sea. Disney cannot, and should not, cater just to us. If they did, these parks would one day cease to exist because what we want is not always (in fact rarely) is not going to align with what the majority wants.

Disney parks are parks for the majority. They always have been, that was Walt’s whole point. He didn’t anticipate the parks picking up a dedicated fandom, and you know I doubt he’d be playing right to them even he became aware of one had he lived to see it.

I understand Disney Adults are attached to these places and their memories of them. That’s what makes us Disney Adults.

But we cannot be selfish, and demanding they stay as whatever they were when we were kids getting to experience them is the most selfish thing we as fans can do. We have to accept the change because, well, these parks are for other people to come in and make their own memories now. We can either choose to come along for that, or be the curmudgeons sitting around with a frown saying “well back in my day.”

I would much rather be the former than the latter.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom