Test Track refurb???

Slowjack

As an Epcot "non-purist" the canopy never really bothered me. I don't care for minimalist design.
My problem with the canopy isn't that it defiles the memory of World of Motion or something like that. It's just that the canopy, as implemented, is ugly and doesn't complement the style of the building it fronts. The pictures from The Empress Lilly make the point well--it's an off-the-shelf temporary structure, pressed into permanent service. If they really thought that Test Track, of all the rides at WDW that potentially put guests and CMs outside, needs permanent shelter, they are presumably capable of designing something that is attractive and matches the building.

WDWFREAK53

If you were to take the old WoM logo (that is on the new marquee) and turned it flat and used that as the basis of your design for your canopy...and in between the spaces put in a white tarp, you'd get a nice homage to the original attraction, a circular design to compliment the shape of the building, and it would continue to provide shade/shelter.

JEANYLASER

If you were to take the old WoM logo (that is on the new marquee) and turned it flat and used that as the basis of your design for your canopy...and in between the spaces put in a white tarp, you'd get a nice homage to the original attraction, a circular design to compliment the shape of the building, and it would continue to provide shade/shelter.
Yes! including rain also! I love the shape of the building!

RSoxNo1

This is a shade/rain structure, they are much needed in Florida. I haven't seen one that the fans haven't complained about, and in my opinion it's a bit excessive. Benches don't always fit in thematically with an area but they're still needed. They can't always be blended in to the landscape like in Adventureland or along the new Castle walls. If it's at the point where people are complaining about a shade structure then I have to assume that everything else in the parks is fine. We all know that's not true, I just think people should pick their battles.

WDWFREAK53

This is a shade/rain structure, they are much needed in Florida. I haven't seen one that the fans haven't complained about, and in my opinion it's a bit excessive. Benches don't always fit in thematically with an area but they're still needed. They can't always be blended in to the landscape like in Adventureland or along the new Castle walls. If it's at the point where people are complaining about a shade structure then I have to assume that everything else in the parks is fine. We all know that's not true, I just think people should pick their battles.

Yes, I don't think people are complaining about a canopy...but the fact that it looks like a temporary structure and doesn't incorporate any of the architectural cues from the building that it is providing shelter for.

It's no different than if they put folding chairs in Adventureland.

HMF

It actually reflects the attraction pretty well. 2007's Spaceship Earth has halfbaked narration and never finished the descent, they design a new logo icon for the pavilion and never finished the rest of the Future World set.
Heck they could just throw the WoM logo into the swirls containing the SSE Logo and it would be progress.

The Empress Lilly

There were no separate shade structures in EPCOT. Shade was provided by architecture which was at once functional, groundbreaking, and gorgeous.

By contrast, providing shelter by a canopy on a temporary concert stage is utterly clueless design. Clownesque.

It is like renovating the Louvre, using up all space inside for amenities, only to then have to house much of the art exhibition outside beneath a rock festival stage that prevents any view of the building, only to throw one's hands up in despair when criticised: 'don't these critics understand that outside one needs to keep guests and paintings sheltered?'

There is a whopper of a fundamentally erroneous reasoning in there that I hope is apparant.

JungleTrekFan

It is like renovating the Louvre, using up all space inside for amenities, only to then have to house much of the art exhibition outside beneath a rock festival stage that prevents any view of the building, only to throw one's hands up in despair when criticised: 'don't these critics understand that outside one needs to keep guests and paintings sheltered?'
LOL its funny cause this is exactly what happened in 1983 when they renovated the Louvre!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom