Test Track refurb???

the.dreamfinder

No accounting for taste.

And I wonder if that is true based on the fact WoM was a giant people-eater and TT is ... not.
I just wish that folks with TASTE like those at Pixar and Disney Animation called all the shots for these rides and the sponsors could TRUST their creative decisions.

articos

There were no separate shade structures in EPCOT. Shade was provided by architecture which was at once functional, groundbreaking, and gorgeous.

By contrast, providing shelter by a canopy on a temporary concert stage is utterly clueless design. Clownesque.

It is like renovating the Louvre, using up all space inside for amenities, only to then have to house much of the art exhibition outside beneath a rock festival stage that prevents any view of the building, only to throw one's hands up in despair when criticised: 'don't these critics understand that outside one needs to keep guests and paintings sheltered?'

There is a whopper of a fundamentally erroneous reasoning in there that I hope is apparant.
For Epcot Center, this was a conscious design decision to provide shelter within the pavilions, as opposed to exterior queues. Epcot Center's design aesthetic was to provide wide-open clean vistas, with architecturally inviting buildings that drew the guest in to explore within Future World. On World Showcase's side, the pavilions are built to give the guest spaces to explore, usually around a central plaza (including an indoor "outdoor" plaza, as in Mexico).

Epcot was not designed to have guests standing in lines all day, it was a place of exploration. The exception to this was Spaceship Earth, which, as the central weenie, was expected to be hit hard in the morning as the one attraction everyone would go to first thing through the gate. SSE was also specifically designed as an Omnimover that could devour guests in the hope the exterior queue would not be needed much. Every other original Future World attraction had indoor queues and/or preshows, which act as indoor queues to suck people through in huge chunks. Or they invited guests into the building like in The Land and WoM. All of Epcot's rides were designed to do large (at the time) numbers, hence the lack of overflow queues at opening.

The exterior landscape of Epcot was to be an open park-like atmosphere, that was enjoyable to stroll through, evoking the feel of a future cityscape free of advertising, above ground utilities, etc. Design intent gets lost over time, and people come in with their own ideas and aren't informed on why something was designed a specific way, or sometimes, something just doesn't work as intended. Unfortunately, once changed, design intent is rarely fixed.

Side note, it is nice to see the circular icon back. Hopefully we'll see more of this.

articos

No accounting for taste.

And I wonder if that is true based on the fact WoM was a giant people-eater and TT is ... not.
TT was intended to have more vehicles originally, as well as quicker dispatch intervals, which would have made Track's numbers better. TT needs a huge interior holding area because it can't get as many people through nearly as quickly. Even doing more people total, TT can't get as many people through per day. As a thrill ride, Track attracts people in droves, but as far as getting people through the building, WoM wins. That said, it's somewhat comparing apples to oranges. Epcot was designed to handle a lesser number total in the late 70s/early 80s than it handles now.

montyz81

No accounting for taste.

Very good point. That could actually have more to do with how the waiting areas were built. Because TT is slower to load, it required miles more line ques. WOM just continuously chomped up the people so the lines didn't need to be longer. I remember WOM quite well, I do not remember the lines. I absolutely remember looking out over Epcot Center as you climbed up the hill into the ride! I agree, I so wish they would have brought back elements of WOM in this redo.

StageFrenzy

Epcot was designed to handle a lesser number total in the late 70s/early 80s than it handles now.

Really? As far Overall capacity its gotta be similar I'd even give the edge to Epcot in the early years.(Modern Epcot definitely holds the edge over '81 Epcot) With Omnimovers out the wahzoo Horizons, WOM, The living seas in 86. TT has less capacity than WOM, MS has got to be less than Horizons, Figment was longer. The only addition since then was Soarin'

MeandMickey

Do you think that they will be having any previews the week before the "official" Dec. 6 re-opening? My DS5 has been bugging me to go on TestTrack the last two trips and it has been closed. It is his favorite attraction in all of WDW. Have my fingers crossed for some kind of preview so (and I) he can ride.

TheMackMachine

I personally can't wait for Test Track to open, because it is my favorite ride at WDW. I do understand it's a popular ride with long lines, and the lines will probably be worse now that you can customize your dream car. Even though the lines are gonna be horrific, at the end of the day, it will be worth since it's such a good ride.

Figment2005

There are going to be 2 stand-by lines in order to compensate for the car customization. Also, FastPass and single rider will completely bypass that experience.

JEANYLASER

I don't know! Now I'm very confused! I thought they will have single rider and fast pass and they want to make a car in new Test Track?:confused:

RSoxNo1

No accounting for taste.

Yeah, I'm guessing it's not true. It just seems that way to people that don't recognize the huge disparity in capacity.

There were no separate shade structures in EPCOT. Shade was provided by architecture which was at once functional, groundbreaking, and gorgeous.

By contrast, providing shelter by a canopy on a temporary concert stage is utterly clueless design. Clownesque.

It is like renovating the Louvre, using up all space inside for amenities, only to then have to house much of the art exhibition outside beneath a rock festival stage that prevents any view of the building, only to throw one's hands up in despair when criticised: 'don't these critics understand that outside one needs to keep guests and paintings sheltered?'

There is a whopper of a fundamentally erroneous reasoning in there that I hope is apparant.
As for the structure itself, the buildings in Future World East have always been less interesting to me visually than those in Future World West. I never felt that the Transportation Pavilion looked as good as Imagination, The Land or The Seas. I think the Mission: SPACE facade is more appealing than any iteration of the Transportation Pavilion, but I'd also say that any iteration of the Transportation Pavilion looked/looks better than Horizons, Universe of Energy, or Wonders of Life.

RSoxNo1

TT was intended to have more vehicles originally, as well as quicker dispatch intervals, which would have made Track's numbers better. TT needs a huge interior holding area because it can't get as many people through nearly as quickly. Even doing more people total, TT can't get as many people through per day. As a thrill ride, Track attracts people in droves, but as far as getting people through the building, WoM wins. That said, it's somewhat comparing apples to oranges. Epcot was designed to handle a lesser number total in the late 70s/early 80s than it handles now.

Quite the opposite. EPCOT Center could handle far more guests than it can today.
In his defense, Epcot was made to handle 0 guests in the late 70s and early 80s.

The Empress Lilly

One can read it as 'during EPCOT's design in the late 70s and early 80s'. The guy obviously knows his EPCOT and would know the opening date.

But EPCOT Center could both handle far larger crowds, and did so in actual fact. EPCOT nowadays has lower attandance than before Test Track opened in 1999. It is difficult to measure the influence of specific rides, but WoM's EPCOT drew more visitors than TT's Epcot.

When WoM closed in 1996, EPCOT drew close to twelve million. Nowadays, twenty years of theme park growth everywhere later, it draws ten and a half million. Just as well though, considering the reduced capacity of the replacement rides in FW. A low ride capacity which is not a concern for WDW, longer lines means people stop doing rides earlier to go stuff themselves full and drink themselves silly in the drunkards zoo of WS.

montyz81

Sorry small correction here, Epcot opened in 82 so it didn't handle the lines quite that well in the late 70s

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom