Test Track Live Chat with Imagineer

HMF

Straying a bit off topic here, but when it comes to social media and Twitter in particular it almost seems that one "official" twitter account for WDW is just too big. Obviously, the @disneyparks account is just too broad to handle specific needs and interactions with day guests. There really should be one for each park, as is the case with @DCAToday, which is "official." Even really small units like @cavadeltequila do a much better job of interacting with guests -- it's not so much to bite off, know what I mean?

So... is it TDO's fault that we don't have official accounts for each of the Florida parks?
It's part of Iger's "One Disney" mantra.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Makes you long for the days when Walt used to preview in specific detail all the new things coming to Disneyland on National television reaching a far-broader audience than the Parks Blog.
Makes you long for the days when Walt used to preview in specific detail all the new things coming to Disneyland on National television reaching a far-broader audience than the Parks blog
The need to make a Walt hologram like that Tupac one.

ExtinctJenn

I read through this and I have to agree with many of the comments earlier in this post that it seems like the same Test Track with some "upgrades." My assumption is instead of large open spaces where you can pretty much see from one "scene" to the next you'll instead have stuff on either side of you along the entire track (the screens that will show your car etc.). I am pleased with this because it is yet another example of plussing what's already there vs. demolishing and replacing. It sounds to me like fans of the original will find an experience similar to what they hoped would never change with something extra to give it that little "oomph."

PeoplemoverTTA

Thx for those - but I find it interesting that most of the engagement you refer to is not on the blog, but rather in the twitter space. Just a casual browsing of the wegmans blog shows alot of the same type of content.. product promotion, corporate posture, events, etc. The blog is still a promotion tool above all else. Heck, look at Starbucks, their most recent pages are full of politics.. yuck.

I see people continually upset that the blog isn't something else.. like a discussion forum. Well then it's not a blog :) People seem upset that disney won't give them equal footing on disney sites and take it out on the blog.

I don't look at any of Disney's twitter activity so I can't comment there. But as a blog, Disney continues to put out tons of original content. This isn't just them reposting their PRs.. look at how much original content is created now for the digital space and published through the blog.

Honestly the wegmans blog looks a lot like the magazine/catalogs they publish. What I think is powerful about the DPR blog is there is a ton of information they break there now.. and prior to this.. wasn't as accessible.

Your posts seems to suggest Disney should do more customer advocacy outreach. I wouldn't disagree, they already do a TON of this through guest relations.. but that's really the role of their support and guest relations teams.. not just social outreach. The staffing levels required would overwhelm any non-funded group trying to 'help out' with guest relations issues.

Great point about the blog - I agree with your accurate description of what a blog should be, and how Disney frames its content compared to other companies. Ideally, blog content drives conversation, typically on social media (the blog is often referred to as a company's online "base," but the conversation happens elsewhere), but it does seem to drive conversation in the comments section of each post. This is one area where there is missed opportunity. When posters choose to respond, it is almost always to comments like "Gee whiz, I can't wait to see [insert interactive queue/restaurant/shopping/anything but an E-ticket]." And the response is typically, "Golly gee, I know - I can't wait to see it myself!" Gag me. When thoughtful comments/questions make it through their filters (another no/no in the corporate blogosphere - I've had probably 10 comments that weren't posted, despite being perfectly friendly and/or asking reasonable questions).

The only Disney Parks blogger who seems to care about WDW at all is Steven Miller (I find his posts the most informative and entertaining). My criticism of this specific blog (TT Chat), and how Disney promoted it, is that they portrayed it as something that it's not. This "chat" wasn't a chat at all - it was canned responses framed around a new Imagineering "star" (although I think those comments are a stretch). That's where I feel it's really being shady.

As for your (and another poster's) comment about WDW being too large or not having enough resources to handle social media on the level of other companies, I say "hogwash." (Side note: I love that I just had an opportunity to use that word...yeah, I'm a dork :)). Not hogwash at those who think it, but that Disney doesn't have the resources (or shouldn't have the resources) to handle such a large-scale presence. Simple, yet powerful, social media strategies are being successfully implemented by companies of all sizes. By not responding to a majority of customer comments, questions and complaints, they are alienating their core audience and are potentially angering customers.

I could delve into a bunch of different areas, sharing my opinions, but I'm pretty sure it would bore the heck out of people (sorry for anyone I already did bore!).

As both a PR/social media professional and a Disney fan old enough to remember the 80s (born in 1980, first trip to WDW in 1986), I'm in a unique position. I know they can do better, and it frustrates me that they don't. Both in the social media/blog arena (don't even get me started on the horrid WDW website...) and in the quality of their maintenance/show/attractions.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Great point about the blog - I agree with your accurate description of what a blog should be, and how Disney frames its content compared to other companies. Ideally, blog content drives conversation, typically on social media (the blog is often referred to as a company's online "base," but the conversation happens elsewhere), but it does seem to drive conversation in the comments section of each post. This is one area where there is missed opportunity.

I agree on the emptiness of the comments - honestly I find most blog comments of that fashion everywhere except in technology areas where people often offer improvements or corrections.

As to moderating comments - I don't think it's a big 'no/no' - its a given that if left unfiltered would be a slugfest of useless banter and negative messaging. You don't allow people to submit their own critical voice-overs for a commercial to air on TV.. why would you do that here? It's a marketing tool first - not customer engagement tool.

Comment systems are the worst form of 'community' out there - and why every site with a high volume of comments is constantly re-inventing their comment systems and how it's moderated. Comments on a blog like DPR should be limited to follow-on questions that are ON TOPIC that when answered contribute to the original post. It should not be left open for 'so what did you think?' - that is discussion that should be funneled elsewhere. Leave the 'gushing' to a like system or sharing tools.

My criticism of this specific blog (TT Chat), and how Disney promoted it, is that they portrayed it as something that it's not. This "chat" wasn't a chat at all - it was canned responses framed around a new Imagineering "star" (although I think those comments are a stretch). That's where I feel it's really being shady.

How do we know they weren't just technically inept to put something on like this? What we saw may have been some unqualified person's best attempt at controlled 'live' chat because they didn't have or know of the right platform to do something like this? I don't disagree at all that the message was predetermined along with the talking points.. but maybe the delivery wasn't as sinister as some are making out to be. It could just simply be stupidity :)

As for your (and another poster's) comment about WDW being too large or not having enough resources to handle social media on the level of other companies, I say "hogwash."

Note I didn't say Disney wasn't big enough - I said if you want a customer advocacy and outreach - that should be handled by a funded initiative in guest relations.. not PR bloggers. The type of twitter monitoring and outreach you are talking about is part of a social strategy.. but isn't the same bucket as a PR blog. PR aren't enabled to make changes, refunds, credits, etc.. nor would they be staffed correctly to do so. Such an outreach needs to be handled as customer service.. treating the web and twitter as a new form of communication/connection. Not trying to make marketers play 'fixer upper' when little molly's pal mickey breaks as soon as she gets home.

I think this boils do to Disney needing to do Customer Advocacy in the web 2.0 space - not that the blog should be the place to do such things or the blog is misguided for not doing it. Their social group is obviously marketing focused - what you are saying is Disney needs to get its OTHER departments engaging with customers in the web 2.0 space.

WDW1974

guys, the parks blog is part of disney's public relations strategy. the reason you're getting vague responses is because all this is supposed to do is build anticipation towards the test track reopening, not necessarily give you any real information.

as a guy with a lot of experience in this matter, i can tell you that this one place a PR executive can control the message. that's why blogs have become such a popular part of PR campaigns over the years. a chat like this isn't any different than anything disney posts on their facebook page or tweets through their twitter account. it's all vanilla language with no substance. temper your expectations any time you see something happening through the parks blog.

Great advice.

I wish fans went in realizing the point of the Blog is to spin the company line and release almost no information that wasn't already out there. ... Too many go on thinking they're going to come out with some new nugget of info and instead feel played. Well, that is what social media manipulation is all about. ... But, man, I'd love to get a free $600 dinner at Jiko. Wouldn't you?

WDW1974

yes, completely agree.

WDW has the typical approach of 5-7 years ago, where they mistake popularity for an air of...i want to say infallibility. it's this idea that, "hey, we don't have to really tell you anything, because you'll come to the parks anyway." in truth, that idea couldn't be more counter-intuitive. if they were more transparent and forthcoming, they'd be more likely to elicit more excitement for upcoming projects.

plus, i'm not sure if you agree @PeoplemoverTTA, but in my opinion, the voice of both WDW's blog and their social media channels seem very so refined it has the opposite effect. it comes off borderline childish, which opens up pandora's box to a whole other topic i'm passionate about. yet i digress...

Thanks for the 'insight' on the PR game ... I have worked in the business a bit, but years ago (not that it EVER changes) and other facets of media. But I think people should understand just how poorly WDW is handling its fans... it absolutely is turning fans off with the Blog and D23. Sure, some are buying into it. But many others see these things for what they are.

Anyway, thanks again.

WDW1974

As I said earlier, I feel that the chat should have been with Show Producer Trevor Bryant. He comes off as more genuine in interviews and less of a corporate mouthpiece.

He is genuine.

He isn't someone raised on Twitter/FB/Social Media.

That makes a big difference in the approach.

They are very careful with some celeb Imagineers for the same reason. They are older, wiser and not prone to tolerate BS ... and since Disney's propaganda push is just that, they are prone to quite regularly 'go off script' ... and that's when their 'keepers' start sweating and passing notes to them etc.

Kuhio

Dear Disney,

Why have chats if you have nothing to say?

Sincerely,
A Magical Fan

They do have something to say. Of course, that "something" happens to be wholesale corporate spin that's typically devoid of meaningful substance...
dontknow.gif

baymenxpac

Great advice.

I wish fans went in realizing the point of the Blog is to spin the company line and release almost no information that wasn't already out there. ... Too many go on thinking they're going to come out with some new nugget of info and instead feel played. Well, that is what social media manipulation is all about. ... But, man, I'd love to get a free $600 dinner at Jiko. Wouldn't you?

hell, i'd settle for a turtle crawl at gurgling suitcase before the started measuring the alcohol!

Thanks for the 'insight' on the PR game ... I have worked in the business a bit, but years ago (not that it EVER changes) and other facets of media. But I think people should understand just how poorly WDW is handling its fans... it absolutely is turning fans off with the Blog and D23. Sure, some are buying into it. But many others see these things for what they are.

Anyway, thanks again.

no problemo. thanks for the kind words in both of these posts! PR can be a waste land of hackery, but if done right, it can be a fairly effective form of communication. unfortunately, most people don't know when they're being subjected to it. and that makes a big difference.

on a similar note, i've been dabbling with the idea of starting a WDW blog. basically try to be lutz-esque (read: attention getter), but making a full disclosure that i will NOT accept any kind of media credential or perk from disney. still mulling...

HMF

He is genuine.

He isn't someone raised on Twitter/FB/Social Media.

That makes a big difference in the approach.

They are very careful with some celeb Imagineers for the same reason. They are older, wiser and not prone to tolerate BS ... and since Disney's propaganda push is just that, they are prone to quite regularly 'go off script' ... and that's when their 'keepers' start sweating and passing notes to them etc.
By "Celeb" I am assuming you mean TB, right?

Cosmic Commando

This is the same Melissa Jeselnick, Test Track Imagineer?

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Fas...s-boosted-our-campaign-in-the-US-14022012.htm

Snippet: "American businesswoman Melissa Jeselnick is designing clutch bags styled on Kate’s fashions and will also donate proceeds to the appeal."

Odd. Anyone know how long's she been with WDI?
It certainly looks like the same person, but that link said she was going to sell them on Etsy, which is like a work-from-home craft store site. I think it was just something she did in her spare time to make money for that charity, not a full-time job. Doesn't sound that strange for someone in the design industry.

Cosmic Commando

Wegmans - For those of you who don't know, Wegmans is a regional grocery store chain based out of Rochester, NY (they have a very strong base here in Buffalo). They've been expanding pretty rapidly in the past decade or so, and are now as far east as Boston and are down into Virginia as well. Their blog has a great blend of at-home ideas from various chefs and members of their team, with recipes and other company news. Their comments are frequently responded to -- by the actual blog writer (or presumably so - they are very authentic feeling and well-written), creating an engaging base for their content. On the social media front, Wegmans simply excels. I have had several negative tweets responded to within minutes, and have seen many examples of the same (yup, they actual respond to -- and diffuse through excellent customer service -- negative posts). If you are looking for a particular product in one of their stores, they will tell you whether they have it -- and what aisle it's in. Total, 360 service at all levels. Wegmans really "gets" it.

This is purely subjective, but to me, Starbucks and Wegmans do a great job of feeling authentic -- this is one area where Disney Parks is sorely lacking. Everyone expects to hear typical PR news on a blog and social media, it's par for the course. But the overall tone, messaging and engagement from these brands feels less like propaganda and more like a genuine, authentic voice for the company. A voice that seeks and gives meaningful engagement to its customers.
"here in Buffalo"?.... a fellow Buffalonian!?!

Disney really needs to poach the whole Wegmans marketing team; heck, just buy the whole company. They are what Disney used to be, except in the grocery business: premium prices for premium products. Customer service out the wazoo. They can make it seem like everything they do is magic (which I say unironically). If you ask them why they don't carry something, they'll look into stocking it. I think I read somewhere that over half of the products in their organic section are from customer suggestions. They send me their Menu magazine for free, and you can't help but love Wegmans after you leaf through it. Stories about how their sushi chefs go to Japan to learn how to really make sushi, stories about the grass at this little Dutch farm and how it makes the the cows so happy they dance in the spring when they get to eat it and you can buy the cheese made from that "dancing cow" milk right now! They don't beat you over the head like a DVC stand on every end cap, they just make you want their stuff because you know that everything Wegmans touches is golden. There was a multi-page article about their "Ultimate Chocolate Cake", and now I have to walk by that stupid cake every time I go to the store. I usually trust the Wegmans brand at least as much as the national brand, if not more. Wegmans came out with Wegmans-brand frozen mac & cheese ravioli recently. If it was Kraft mac & cheese ravioli, I would have walked by and thought, "Weird". Since it was Wegmans, though, I thought, "There must be something to this, otherwise they wouldn't have made it." Tastes amazing, BTW.

That's the power of good marketing. Oh, but you also need a quality product to sell.

G00fyDad

So....... Test Track is not being re-imagined. Wow. What a shocker. :rolleyes: I knew all they were going to do is change the queue, and slap on a fresh coat of paint. :( I want World of Motion back! I was so excited by the rumors (yes, I know that they were just rumors) of a WoM / TT merge. This is still the same ride as before from each brick you run over, every hairpin turn, etc... The only difference is the queue line may be a bit quieter and you will not have John Michael Higgins talking to you throughout the ride. OH!! Wait, I forgot all about the lame "custom ride" interaction. :rolleyes:

I'll be skipping TT on our future trips. It will make more room for others. ;)

psukardi

Tried to read through as much of the thread as possible (chat-recap/etc). Does anyone know an estimated time that the ride will re-open?

I'm guessing there is no firm date right now, but I remain hopeful for an estimate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom