Test Track Live Chat with Imagineer

janoimagine

Yes, my apologies to all for fueling this ... Tedious is an understatement. To take the thread back on track (no pun intended) has anyone heard who will be scoring the new ride? Michael Giacchino?

luv

I'm still trying to figure out what the Test Track Blob is.

Is it a car? A flying thing like George Jetson used?

What is the blob?

Captain Neo

If this ride reopens and its almost all video screens again im done with Disney. Where is the variety? where are the audio animatronics? the new technologies and practicle special effects?

G00fyDad

If this ride reopens and its almost all video screens again im done with Disney. Where is the variety? where are the audio animatronics? the new technologies and practicle special effects?

Try to not hold the lack of effort, if it turns out that it actually is only minimalistic, against Disney in this regard. From what I have read here (and on other Disney blog sites) the refurb decisions are all Chevrolet's, and Disney has little input. The attraction is sponsored by Chevrolet for a hefty sum after all. So if it goes to all screens then it is a Chevy thing.

Oddysey

Try to not hold the lack of effort, if it turns out that it actually is only minimalistic, against Disney in this regard. From what I have read here (and on other Disney blog sites) the refurb decisions are all Chevrolet's, and Disney has little input. The attraction is sponsored by Chevrolet for a hefty sum after all. So if it goes to all screens then it is a Chevy thing.

Please dont explode on me, but I disagree with this. I am certain that Chevy has an extremely loud voice concerning the project because they are funding it. However, TT is still in a Disney park, and Disney should expect their attractions to be held to a specific standard with regards to quality and creativity. It is similar to when a landlord creates a lease when renting a house and states that the tenant cannot have pets or modify the home in any way without the input or permission of said landlord. Ultimately, what happens in the attraction falls heavily on the shoulders of Disney, and to a lesser extent Chevy. After all, the attraction is in Disney World not Chevrolet World.

TP2000

I've been assuming since Cars Land opened in June that this Test Track redo will bring over some of the big animatronics that are used in Radiator Springs Racers. WDI has created huge, full-size animatronics that are talking and living cars with charm and personality. Surely they would bring that same tech over to Test Track and have animatronic Chevrolets in a few spots on the new ride???

I can't believe they are just going to go with video screens and LED rope lighting to create "a dynamic physical space". :rolleyes: They must have some stuff up their sleeve, using the same technology and showmanship from the big dark ride portion of Radiator Springs Racers.

But that "live chat" on the Disney Parks Blog was worthless. It makes Disney and WDI look bad, quite frankly. You might as well just post vague press releases filled with corporate buzzwords and forget the fabricated "live chat" thing that no one believes.

cmatt

not much changes in here then o_O - anyway - myself? as above - seen the footage of cars land and cant just see them sticking with LED tv screens and black painted wooden cut outs with lights stapled to the edges for the WDW version of the ride.

The live chat was a complete waste of time to keep the refurb in the 'public' eye without it fading into the background.

G00fyDad

Please dont explode on me, but I disagree with this. I am certain that Chevy has an extremely loud voice concerning the project because they are funding it. However, TT is still in a Disney park, and Disney should expect their attractions to be held to a specific standard with regards to quality and creativity. It is similar to when a landlord creates a lease when renting a house and states that the tenant cannot have pets or modify the home in any way without the input or permission of said landlord. Ultimately, what happens in the attraction falls heavily on the shoulders of Disney, and to a lesser extent Chevy. After all, the attraction is in Disney World not Chevrolet World.

First, I am not going to explode on you. You didn't come at me with a ton of smart remarks. ;) Second, Disney standards aside, I think that creative control is totally within Chevy's domain. Unless someone else knows differently and can correct me here. I think that the attractions that are sponsored are completely (creatively) under the control of the sponsoring company.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I've been assuming since Cars Land opened in June that this Test Track redo will bring over some of the big animatronics that are used in Radiator Springs Racers. WDI has created huge, full-size animatronics that are talking and living cars with charm and personality. Surely they would bring that same tech over to Test Track and have animatronic Chevrolets in a few spots on the new ride???

Except Cars is a cartoon humor vibe... this is not nor has it ever been presented as such. 'talking cars' doesn't really jive with the serious 'design your car..' from a company trying to sell you real cars. Sounds like a really bad assumption to me.

luv

First, I am not going to explode on you. You didn't come at me with a ton of smart remarks. ;) Second, Disney standards aside, I think that creative control is totally within Chevy's domain. Unless someone else knows differently and can correct me here. I think that the attractions that are sponsored are completely (creatively) under the control of the sponsoring company.
I have no clue how many Chevy people actually worked on designing the ride and am not going to suggest you're wrong.

However, Disney does have a major history lately of skipping anything with any creativity and putting in screens, many of them with Disney characters on them. Nemo ride, TSM, Mexico film (already had screens, but got characters added to them), Sorcerors of the MK - screens, screens, screens. SSE got screens added. Mission Space has us staring into a screen (although it's so much better than JUST doing that).

There has been a serious pattern of screens and I'm with the PP. I don't want more screens. Enough is enough. I can look at screens anywhere. No mas!

TP2000

Except Cars is a cartoon humor vibe... this is not nor has it ever been presented as such. 'talking cars' doesn't really jive with the serious 'design your car..' from a company trying to sell you real cars. Sounds like a really bad assumption to me.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Chevrolet probably wants to keep this more serious and legit, instead of slapsticky fun.

Not sure how Serious Automotive GM Design Circa 2012 will age, however.

I just thought it would be cool if the ride ended with a musical-animatronic show scene where Racers-style animatronic versions of a '59 Bel Air, a '65 Impala, a '72 Camaro, a '99 Corvette and a '13 Volt sang "See the USA, in your Chevrolet!" as you glided towards the unload area.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

We may not have learned much from the "chat", but this Q/A gave the impression that this wouldn't be all screens...

spacer.gif

[Comment From RickyRicky: ]
To what extent will the scenes and visuals of the new Test Track be "virtual" versus props, set pieces, etc.? How much time will riders spend looking at screens instead of real-world items?

Monday August 27, 2012 1:41 Ricky
1:42
spacer.gif

Melissa Jeselnick:
We talk a lot about being in the digital space, but it's still a physical experience. We're using a lot of new technology to tell the story, but it is still a dynamic physical experience.

Oddysey

I am usually not a proponent of screens in Disney attractions because I prefer AAs. However, I think this is one of the very few attractions that screens make sense and could be an upgrade depending on how they are used. TT is not an AA or physical prop heavy attraction anyway. There are the robots in the corrosive chamber, some lighting in the hot and cold chambers, some mirrors in the turns, some cardboard trees, a carboard person, a truck with bright headlights, a car that used to slam into a wall, and several screens of actors telling us what test is coming up next. TT is mostly undecorated with a ton of open warehouse space.

If you think about it, screens and lighting can be implemented in a way that enhances the sensation of speed while creating a futuristic look that is consistent with what future world really is supposed to be. Physical props or AAs seem hard implement in a thrill attraction because you are often passing them at a rate speed that wouldn't allow one to fully appreciate them. Even in the slow parts of the ride a park guest is typically anticipating the next thrill that is around the corner rather than truly appreciating detailed set pieces. In short, this may be one of the only Disney rides that I would be excited to hear about screens going into.

AndyMagic

We may not have learned much from the "chat", but this Q/A gave the impression that this wouldn't be all screens...

spacer.gif

[Comment From RickyRicky: ]
To what extent will the scenes and visuals of the new Test Track be "virtual" versus props, set pieces, etc.? How much time will riders spend looking at screens instead of real-world items?

Monday August 27, 2012 1:41 Ricky
1:42
spacer.gif

Melissa Jeselnick:
We talk a lot about being in the digital space, but it's still a physical experience. We're using a lot of new technology to tell the story, but it is still a dynamic physical experience.

The problem with what she said here is that it could be interpreted a number of different ways. Even if it is all screens with some cut-outs they could still call it a physical experience since the car will still be physically moving from scene to scene and it will still have the high-speed segment at the end. Like the entire chat, this statement means nothing. If anything this non-answer is worrying. If the ride was truly not going to be a screen and projection extravaganza then a simple response of, "there will be a nice mix of screens, full 3D sets, and other animated props throughout the ride," would have been a hell of a lot more coherent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom