Tell me about your experience moving to Orlando

Todd L

I often think (as many of you probably do) about a possible move to Orlando to be close to the parks.

I'd like to hear from anyone who's made that move. What has your experience been like? Was it what you thought you would be? Better? Worse?

Did you transfer jobs? Find a new one? etc.

Anyone who has made the move, share your experience.

Some of My family has been living in Florida for a long time. Jacksonville, Tampa, Ocala and Orlando. Other than My aunt who LOVES Orlando all The other avoid that area like the Plauge!!

My Aunt is a Annual pass Holder and is at WDW frequently!!

I hope we can do the same in the next 10 years But well see where life takes us in that time.."best laid plans" and all that Jazz!!

I do, have lived in Celebration for almost 5 years and in FL for almost 8

Is it super expensive? Afre there lots of apartments?
I think about moving closer to Orlando all the time but I don't think I would do it anytime soon.
5 years would be the soonest.
I heard Clermont is pretty safe? What about Ocoee?

armyfamilyof5

I think about moving closer to Orlando all the time but I don't think I would do it anytime soon.

We moved 2 years ago, we live in upper Clermont, there are 12 miles of orange groves between upper and lower Clermont with lower Clermont being close to 192, we did not like that area but that's just personal preference. We are close enough to Orlando, the parks are about 25 (or less) minutes away. The schools here are great. We checked into Ocoee and it's nice but not our style, we were most concerned with the schools as we have elementary aged kids. My husband retired and we decided on the spur of the moment, while renting we found a builder, a neighborhood, a lot and built our "forever" home which we moved in 2 days before our 1 year lease was up. We love the new house, the palm trees, the hibiscus and the easy access to all the shopping on Daniels Road (10 minutes away) Mall of Millenia and Florida Mall and of course the theme parks. It actually much nicer because we never have to do commando type touring as we can just go for half the day and be home before the hottest part of the day, make dinner at home and relax. We do go to DTD a lot to eat and people watch. There is so much to do here we are never bored. Sure it's hot in the summer and our car insurance is high but our last duty station in the KC MO area was brutally hot in the summer and brutally cold in the winter, horrible hail and tornado's too. After driving to downtown Orlando for a year I have started working from home and it's wonderful, my husband works security on Disney property and enjoys his job as well, his commute is about 20 minutes one way.
No, moving here has not ruined a thing for us, just enhanced our lives tremendously!

luv

I think Clermont is nice. I don't live there, but I wouldn't mind it if I did.

Ocoee...parts okay, parts maybe a little less than okay. I wouldn't choose Ocoee...but people do!

But remember that Orlando has good neighborhoods next to bad ones. The city is strangely arranged, with all kinds of stuff popping up all over.

We moved 2 years ago, we live in upper Clermont, there are 12 miles of orange groves between upper and lower Clermont with lower Clermont being close to 192, we did not like that area but that's just personal preference. We are close enough to Orlando, the parks are about 25 (or less) minutes away. The schools here are great. We checked into Ocoee and it's nice but not our style, we were most concerned with the schools as we have elementary aged kids. My husband retired and we decided on the spur of the moment, while renting we found a builder, a neighborhood, a lot and built our "forever" home which we moved in 2 days before our 1 year lease was up. We love the new house, the palm trees, the hibiscus and the easy access to all the shopping on Daniels Road (10 minutes away) Mall of Millenia and Florida Mall and of course the theme parks. It actually much nicer because we never have to do commando type touring as we can just go for half the day and be home before the hottest part of the day, make dinner at home and relax. We do go to DTD a lot to eat and people watch. There is so much to do here we are never bored. Sure it's hot in the summer and our car insurance is high but our last duty station in the KC MO area was brutally hot in the summer and brutally cold in the winter, horrible hail and tornado's too. After driving to downtown Orlando for a year I have started working from home and it's wonderful, my husband works security on Disney property and enjoys his job as well, his commute is about 20 minutes one way.
No, moving here has not ruined a thing for us, just enhanced our lives tremendously!

Thanks for the info!
I already live in Fl (Miami) so I am used to the heat, hurricanes, car insurance, etc.
I think because I am single, the most important thing to me is safety.
I don't mind being 30 or 45 minutes away from WDW as long as I know my community is safe.
Clermont sounds nice!

emcclay

A few of my co-workers live in Clermont and really like it. Sounds like you can choose to be closer to the parks or a little further away if you don't want to deal with tourists all the time.

luv

A few of my co-workers live in Clermont and really like it. Sounds like you can choose to be closer to the parks or a little further away if you don't want to deal with tourists all the time.
Good point! Clermont gets its share of tourists. They even stay there. But if you want to live close to the parks, you're going to have to deal with tourists.

IMO, it's well worth another fifteen or twenty minutes in the car to live away from all that. But everyone is different. For some, it's worth the trade off. :)

armyfamilyof5

Good point! Clermont gets its share of tourists. They even stay there. But if you want to live close to the parks, you're going to have to deal with tourists.

IMO, it's well worth another fifteen or twenty minutes in the car to live away from all that. But everyone is different. For some, it's worth the trade off. :)

We wanted to be close enough to go enjoy often but far enough away we don't have to have a lot of tourist type places. There is pleny of shopping and restuarant chains locally and we have a short drive for anything special. We have yet to say, "wow, let's not go to Disney today, it's just so far" so I'm guessing we are close enough, :D.

armyfamilyof5

I think the area is pretty low crime and our limited experience with the law enforcment has been positive. I heard frightening noises in the back where our yard is separated from woods by a fence at 11 pm so I called the Lake County Sheriff's office. They responded within literally minutes and checked it out throughly, the officer said it was a wild pig and her babies, the growling sounds were the pig and the crying sounds were her babies. I felt silly to have called and I hadn't asked them to send an officer, was just asking some questions about the local wildlife because I was alone here with the kids and the dogs, however they were quick to come check it out so I'd say it's pretty safe!

Figments Friend

My story related to living in FL -

My Mom became interested in moving down to FL in the early 80s when the big housing boom was being marketed to people in the Northeast where i lived.
She decided it was time for a 'fresh start', and divorced my Dad and took me down there with her in a small moving truck in 1981.
We lived in a new housing development in Seffner, FL, which is about a 30 minute ride on the highway to WDW.
I was 10 years old.

For a 10 year old, i found it hard to adapt.
Coming from the Northshore area just outside of Boston, and living with the local weather patterns and having the sea always right there made it a real departure from the 'norm' for me.
Our new home was a complete opposite of everything i had ever known up to that time.

School was a drag...and i learned early on to shed my then heavy Northeastern accent as the kids immediately noticed and taunted me. I must have done a good job, because today people often ask me where i am from because they cannot place a accent. When i tell them, they are amazed. I guess i have FL to thank for that!

School was strict compared to the looser feel i had already been familiar with. If you were sent to the principals office, or did something out of line, you were 'paddled' ...that is, a huge wooden paddle was slapped against you butt. I was paddled once...not sure what the offense was. Probably my Northeastern accent.
At that time, even at that young age, i felt a lot of resentment from adults who lived locally. Not everyone was like that...shoot, a lot of folks i met and knew there were the nicest people ever. A few though...you could tell they had some long buried resentments from the past.

The weather was probably my least favorite change.
My nose bled every afternoon for about a week after i was living there for about two weeks. I guessed later it was likely the drier air, or being at a lower sea level. A new friend i met in the neighborhood taught me a trick to stop it by pinching the bridge of my nose. It works great !
I found the daily 5pm thundershower amazing in the summertime. It was like magic.

I missed the autumn colors, and believe it or not the snow, and the general change of seasons which seemed to have less of a visual presence.
I did not like fire ants...sweet tea was a beverage from outer space for me ( i now love it )....and i wondered how my next door neighbors could eat so much southern fried food and never seem to gain a inch.

I learned the terrible truth about oranges when i moved to FL - they are NOT orange at all..but actually yellow!
I would walk by a huge orange grove on the way to school and see them all hanging on the trees. We had a orange tree in our own yard, and it was surreal seeing them in their natural state.

I also learned about how much the gators love to eat marshmellows. Yep..they love em' as much as racoons do up North.

I never went to the beach...or swimming in the ocean...the 3 years i was there. I was landlocked compared to my previous digs. When i think back to that alone, it boggles the mind. Most people think of 'beaches' or 'beach living' when they think of Florida.
It was a different world for me then.

In 1983 i returned to the northeast to live with my Dad.

Of course it was not all bad...i loved being able to visit WDW often.
My first visit was in July of 1983, a few months after EPCOT opened. That changed my life...and had a huge impact on me.
In the end, moving to FL was one of the best things that had ever happened to me but at that time i had no idea. I was too young to realize what was taking place, but i knew WDW was effecting me on a much deeper level then your typical tourist out for just a day of fun distractions.

Years later when i was a adult that had traveled a bit and experienced some adventures it was clear moving and living in FL was a catalyst for me. Although i was not a huge fan of the weather and lack of seasonal changes today i appreciate it on a different level.
As an adult, I like it because it IS different. I can blend in like a local now and know the ropes.
I have great friends there who make it a pleasure to return there again and again.

A few years back i thought of moving back. Instead, i decided not to for now because it is a place i like to visit yearly but i do not think i would want to make it a permanent home.
California has a lot more appeal to me these days.

FL - nice place to visit often...not a place i think i would want to live again in a permanent state.

:)

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Work in Orlando, live in Tampa. Hate Orlando, love Tampa. Orlando is just a touristy transient town (obviously). It's amazing that the two cities can be that close together and have entirely different feels. Tampa is more laid back.

WDWVolFan

I moved to Orlando temporarily last year for my CP.
I lived off property so I had the true Orlando experience that most CPs miss out on.

The Good:
The parks are always there to enjoy.
The winter weather was mostly mild.
There is no shortage of things to do.
GOLF

The Bad:
It's expensive. EVERYTHING is expensive.
The grocery stores cater to the tourist.
It's a tourist town and no matter how bad you might want to escape it, you can't.
The vacationers think they run the town. (They basically do.. It's ok)
The seasons are HOT Hot hot and cold.

The Ugly:
The people are generally rude.
They can't drive.
It can be dangerous in some areas. (People and wildlife)

*I didn't really enjoy living there towards the end of my stay. This may have been influenced by the extereme overcrowding of the city in December. The mall, grocery stores, restaurants, doctors office and theme parks were unmanageable. However, after moving back to finish my masters I have had some time to reflect on my experiences and I have decided it is a pretty ok place to live.

I am still CT with Disney and have not ruled out going back for the right position.
I would recommend finding a job that will make you happy, living outside the immediate geographical area of WDW and practicing lots of deep breathing exercises.

Kind of off-topic, did you enjoy your CP experience?
I have a good friend who did that for a year and she said that Disney worked her to death, that on the inside Disney folks are rude and they push you to the limits.
I've heard horror stories of people working for Disney that it gets on the way of their personal lives, people missing their kids' events and that it takes away the magic because they crush your spirits.

topher

Kind of off-topic, did you enjoy your CP experience?
I have a good friend who did that for a year and she said that Disney worked her to death, that on the inside Disney folks are rude and they push you to the limits.
I've heard horror stories of people working for Disney that it gets on the way of their personal lives, people missing their kids' events and that it takes away the magic because they crush your spirits.

I loved my program. It's the only job I have ever had that I didn't dread on a daily basis. To be able to drive under that welcome sign everyday and go into the parks was an experience I will always cherish.
I got to spend my days talking to guests about something I really love, WDW. Not many people can say that about their job.

However, I agree with your friend on most accounts.
• I worked the evening shifts as a Friendship Boat captain. About 50% of my shifts required me to work until 1 or 2 A.M.
Actually being at work that late wasn't all that bad but being away from family or friends every night was a bit of a drag.
• Some weeks I worked 36 hours and some weeks I worked 63 hours. The biggest drawback here was the back to back scheduling of 15 hours shifts.
The shifts went by fast but sometimes it could be draining. When you arrive at work at 10 A.M but know you won't be leaving until 1 A.M. It can be a little intimidating.
• The cast members were a good representation of the workforce in general. There were some individuals that were the happiest and friendliest people I have ever met. There were also some that were so rude and full of hate that I couldn't stand to be in the same room with them. A lot of the full time cast members do not like CP's and they do not try to disguise that at all.
Ex. I once had a guy threaten to kill me because I quoted Toy Story. He literally got 2 inches from my face yelling at me on stage! He was known as the workplace bully.
I also met people who taught me to love and appreciate life in ways that I never had before.

The positives greatly outweigh the negatives and I would do it all again if I could.
I loved it enough to stay seasonal!

Sorry that was so long.

WDWVolFan

So I work in Logistics, mainly the transportation side (procurement, contract negotiation and implementation) and I would LOVE to move to Florida.
While I love Miami and am a HUGE Miami Heat fan, I would not like to live there...so I was wondering if those who live in the Orlando, Tampa and JAX area know of major corporations that are in those areas.
Honestly, I don't think I'd like to live in Orlando just because to me it would be too close. I'd still like to be able to go to the parks for an extended weekend or something and actually stay on property.
Pipe dream...I don't know, got a really good job in ATL, like the city, the people, family is well adjusted, have a nice church...I don't know lol. Maybe for the right opportunity it would be worth it.

stillgoofy

DW and I moved to Orlando in August 2012. We are both full time CMs at WDW. DW work in merchandise at MK and I drive the bus based out if AK. We love it here. A big change from where we came from in Delaware.

How long did it take you to get hired by Disney? Did you apply while you still lived out of state or do you have to live in state to apply?

FireChiefGoofy

How long did it take you to get hired by Disney? Did you apply while you still lived out of state or do you have to live in state to apply?

It only took about a week to be hired by Disney. We applied while still living in Delaware, but used our friends address here in Florida on the application. We have been told that if you have an out of state address, the move you to the bottom of the pile. Mainly because of the time involved to relocate. We were already in the process of relocating, so we could start almost immediately.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom