Tell me about your experience moving to Orlando

PUSH

After this last brutal winter here in Wisc. after a very mild one the year before, it makes me think twice about how many more of these extended winters I want to go through.:(

I know how you feel. I'm from WI, too, and can't stand these winters. I hate them so much!

nepalostparks

I've considered moving down there and my fear would be that I would make Disney "too accessible" - that the magic of it would be gone by over-doing it. Has that happened to any of you?

Not for me... but... it certainly changes the way you visit and think of the parks.

We moved to Tampa from PA last year, mostly so we could be closer to Disney. (Things like no snow also weighed into the decision!)

In relation to being close to Disney, it's definitely an awesome advantage. Like a previous poster mentioned, the part of Tampa we're in means just about an hour from our door to Disney property. Being able to go to Disney for a day (or weekend) with little or no planning is great! We go about once a month, give or take.

I don't think it's lost any of the magic for me. But I definitely notice it's changed the way we visit. Gone are the week long vacations. Gone are the days of spending time for weeks (or months) ahead of time planning out our days, meals, etc. For me, that part was fun. Of course, part of the reason of moving here was to become a travel agent specializing in Disney vacations, so now I get to help with the planning for others.

But for the few "negatives" if you wish to call them that, there are so many more positive things that make up for them. We rarely stand in a line more than a few minutes long - we know to either ride it early, fastpass it, or just skip it for this time. No worries about missing something - we can hit it again soon. We've also got to try a number of restaurants, visit most of the resorts (still taking a few hours here and there to go explore them!), and really explore everything. And the best part? After more than a year and a number of visits, we still haven't seen or done it all! We go, relax, walk around, take breaks, and don't worry about it.

topher

I moved to Orlando temporarily last year for my CP.
I lived off property so I had the true Orlando experience that most CPs miss out on.

The Good:
The parks are always there to enjoy.
The winter weather was mostly mild.
There is no shortage of things to do.
GOLF

The Bad:
It's expensive. EVERYTHING is expensive.
The grocery stores cater to the tourist.
It's a tourist town and no matter how bad you might want to escape it, you can't.
The vacationers think they run the town. (They basically do.. It's ok)
The seasons are HOT Hot hot and cold.

The Ugly:
The people are generally rude.
They can't drive.
It can be dangerous in some areas. (People and wildlife)

*I didn't really enjoy living there towards the end of my stay. This may have been influenced by the extereme overcrowding of the city in December. The mall, grocery stores, restaurants, doctors office and theme parks were unmanageable. However, after moving back to finish my masters I have had some time to reflect on my experiences and I have decided it is a pretty ok place to live.

I am still CT with Disney and have not ruled out going back for the right position.
I would recommend finding a job that will make you happy, living outside the immediate geographical area of WDW and practicing lots of deep breathing exercises.

AndyS2992

I would love to move to Orlando and work at WDW but feel I'll become ultra obsessed and be in Disney 24/7 and then burn myself out and become tired of it and just want to get away from it all :/

FireChiefGoofy

DW and I moved to Orlando in August 2012. We are both full time CMs at WDW. DW work in merchandise at MK and I drive the bus based out if AK. We love it here. A big change from where we came from in Delaware.

Uncle Remus

Best quote on Florida " I do not know how things work in Florida,which from your description, sounds like a colorful lawless swamp." Michael Scott on the office.

Best quote on directions back to New York "Go North until you smell it, then a little farther until you step in it." Me from Florida

Uncle Remus

Despite the horror stories that come out of Florida (seriously, just do a news search for "man from Florida..." and it's always a face-palm moment) this area is pretty modern and the exact opposite of "the South".

I'd contend that the majority of said "horror stories" are from transplants. Also the fact that people move down here and complain about the culture is hilarious. This country has 50 states. Find one that suits you. The fact areas of the state no longer resemble "The South" isn't something that should be celebrated. Culture is a good thing.

As my Great Grandmother Nellie Belle used to say "Southern Gentlemen. Southern Belle. Southern Hospitality. There's a reason you've never heard northern in front of any of those words".

I found this to be true in my travels. I never gave it much thought until I smiled and waved to a stranger and said "mam" out of habit to another. Then my area was invaded and the first thing the newcomers did was try and change everything without consideration to those who actually had a history and heritage to the community.

I would never go to New Jersey for example and expect it to be anything but New Jersey. I also wouldn't try to change it. I find it very odd that people move to a place and are surprised that its unique to that region and immediately want it to be the same from where they moved from. Why move in the first place?

luv

I don't think of Orlando as being very stereotypically southern. Everyone is from somewhere else. I meet very few people my age or older that didn't relocate to Orlando. Some...a few, but not many.

Kids, yeah. There is an entire generation of young adults who were born and raised here. But they were raised in the Orlando we know now.

People who were here BD...few and far between.

Uncle Remus

Have you ever been? NY has many haters and they don't even know why. My quote Civilization

Yes I've been. A half dozen times. I wouldnt hate on something I have no experience with. As far as NYC is concerned its my favorite city to eat in other than St. Louis. I saw the book of Mormon there and it was amazing. Wish we had something comparable to Broadway here. Every time we've gone my wife made sure we saw a play. Not a fan of the people or how dirty it was.

I prefer upstate. A buddy of mine is from Chitenengo (sp?) a town outside of Syracuse. The people of upstate NY are more down to earth and less newyorkerish as well. The city folk give the entire state a bad reputation. I also found the snowbirds that move here from upstate NY fit in quicker as well. They don't pretend to be know it alls. They aren't as loud or rude either.

Different strokes for different folks. I would never disrespect or mock someone else's culture though while I'm a guest so to speak. Just the way I was raised I guess

Uncle Remus

I don't think of Orlando as being very stereotypically southern. Everyone is from somewhere else. I meet very few people my age or older that didn't relocate to Orlando. Some...a few, but not many.

Kids, yeah. There is an entire generation of young adults who were born and raised here. But they were raised in the Orlando we know now.

People who were here BD...few and far between.

Orlando has its pockets but overall it's the land of yuppies anymore. It lost its Southern culture years ago. Even Oviedo has gone that way. Ocoee is next and don't even get me started on the travesty that is now Clermont

topher

You have not lived until you have lived in the real south. Disregard your misconceptions and allow the culture to educate you.

To the people that dislike the south and the southern people, it's not your fault. The ability to embrace cultural differences is a quality that most will never possess.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
You have not lived until you have lived in the real south. Disregard your misconceptions and allow the culture to educate you.

To the people that dislike the south and the southern people, it's not your fault. The ability to embrace cultural differences is a quality that most will never possess.

One word. Chit'lins.

Uncle Remus

Truer words have never been spoken

Vader2112

Yes I've been. A half dozen times. I wouldnt hate on something I have no experience with. As far as NYC is concerned its my favorite city to eat in other than St. Louis. I saw the book of Mormon there and it was amazing. Wish we had something comparable to Broadway here. Every time we've gone my wife made sure we saw a play. Not a fan of the people or how dirty it was.

I prefer upstate. A buddy of mine is from Chitenengo (sp?) a town outside of Syracuse. The people of upstate NY are more down to earth and less newyorkerish as well. The city folk give the entire state a bad reputation. I also found the snowbirds that move here from upstate NY fit in quicker as well. They don't pretend to be know it alls. They aren't as loud or rude either.

Different strokes for different folks. I would never disrespect or mock someone else's culture though while I'm a guest so to speak. Just the way I was raised I guess
you should try the Straz Center in Tampa closet tho g you will find to Broadway in fact it gets the touring companies from the broadway productions play there.
NYers from Manhattan are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet. Sorry if I offended you.

luv

Thanks. All of Europe, Asia, Australia and South America, as well as citizens of Central and North America who didn't happen to have lived in the southern U.S. will likely be packing up their homes so they, too, can move to the real south, really live and become educated.

Start building the condos!! There are a LOT of uneducated people who haven't really lived.

Uncle Remus

you should try the Straz Center in Tampa closet tho g you will find to Broadway in fact it gets the touring companies from the broadway productions play there.
NYers from Manhattan are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet. Sorry if I offended you.

Thanks for the heads up on the Straz. Bob Carr doesn't cut it for me. I saw the Producers in Gainesville. Every now and then something rolls through there.

My favorite client happens to be from Manhattan. Good to know he's probably the norm from there.

It's not that I was offended, its simply fatigue. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "FL sucks, NY is better you should change this that and the other" that sort of thing. Its hard to explain to people what it feels like to have to go through a culture shock in your own home. It's like my family moved without going anywhere. Its not because of the population or growth. I love progress and having options. Its the change of culture. Not to mention you can only hear so many negative things about what you love the most. My apologies if I came off angry in any sort of way.

topher

Thanks. All of Europe, Asia, Australia and South America, as well as citizens of Central and North America who didn't happen to have lived in the southern U.S. will likely be packing up their homes so they, too, can move to the real south, really live and become educated.

Hmmm.
Edited this post to say you are right.
What was I thinking?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom