Tell me about your experience moving to Orlando

MickeyPeace

Original Poster
I often think (as many of you probably do) about a possible move to Orlando to be close to the parks.

I'd like to hear from anyone who's made that move. What has your experience been like? Was it what you thought you would be? Better? Worse?

Did you transfer jobs? Find a new one? etc.

Anyone who has made the move, share your experience.

MissM

I can't comment about Orlando but I live in Tampa and this is generally a pretty good area. Yes we were hit hard by the housing crash but things are coming back and there's even a lot of new construction going on again. Tampa Bay is about 1-1.5 away from WDW depending on where in the region you live and is a straight and easy drive on I-4. You have the benefit of the beaches and the slightly (ever so slightly) cooler winds being on the coast versus in the center of the state 50 miles from the nearest beach. Despite the horror stories that come out of Florida (seriously, just do a news search for "man from Florida..." and it's always a face-palm moment) this area is pretty modern and the exact opposite of "the South" because everyone in the Tampa Bay Area comes from somewhere else, making it a big melting pot.

If you're thinking about moving to Florida, it might be worth a serious look at the Tampa Bay Area as an alternative to Orlando given the broader jobs and housing market but close proximity to lots of entertainment including Orlando's theme parks.

Texas84

I'm about to be moving there within the next 2.5 to 3 weeks and I just got a job with Disney.
I hate you ;)

Seriously, congrats! What are you going to be doing? Thinking about moving down next year.

If you're thinking about moving to Florida, it might be worth a serious look at the Tampa Bay Area as an alternative to Orlando given the broader jobs and housing market but close proximity to lots of entertainment including Orlando's theme parks.

Thought about Tampa. Might have to start watching the IT jobs. But I would like to be closer to the parks.

luv

I could write a book. It's better than I thought it would be. But for me, Florida was a lifelong dream. Seriously. Even as a little kid, I wanted to move to Florida, where there was no winter. I knew I didn't want to live out in nowhere, so the choices were Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa and Orlando for me. I did settle on Orlando because of the parks, though.

And I'd been thinking about it quite a bit for ten years, three of them very seriously.

It just happened that my son was moving on with his own life at the same time houses became dirt-cheap in Florida. And I was at the point of really thinking it was for me. And then winter came. Again.

It's much longer than all that, really. But that's the gist.

It's better. There are many drawbacks! Toll roads, rain, fires, insurance, hurricane worries...no decent potato salad in the grocery store...but all things added up, it's better.

The only thing I miss are the fall leaves. And my brother and dad have the yard guys toss a bunch into a few boxes, so I scatter them about and have them. :) The lawn guys here asked me what they were supposed to do with them, lol. Did I want them raked up? :) I said, "Just mow over them" and they looked at me. "really. It's fine, just mow right over them like they aren't there." :)

I hadn't planned on having a pool. I looked at houses and thought, "If the one I like has a pool, fine. If not, fine." But my pool is THE best part, I think! I don't ever want to live without one again!! And the next one will be bigger!

A lot better. :)

draybook

We hope to be in the Tampa area in the next few years. We're waiting until we finish school, and I'll be transferring with my current company, Cardinal Health. We wanted to be a bit closer, but the only facility we have in Orlando isn't a distribution center. However, by that time I'll have my degree and looking to get my foot in the door in the IT field, so who knows what lays ahead.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
We are saving our lunch money for a home in Golden Oaks. I would love to retire in Orlando and be a Friendship Boat captain. I could travel those routes all day and never get tired of it. I want to be one of the Cpatains that tells jokes and interacts with the passengers. You dont see enough of that nowadays.

emcclay

In my opinion the worst thing is how people drive around here. Speed limit will be 50 and people will be doing 70+. Never see anyone get pulled over for speeding - only see accidents as a result. Other than that, I enjoy it. Love seeing palm trees every day. I'm currently a CP and looking to move down here permanently. Cannot see myself going back to CT to deal with snow!

Mammymouse

I could write a book. It's better than I thought it would be. But for me, Florida was a lifelong dream. Seriously. Even as a little kid, I wanted to move to Florida, where there was no winter. I knew I didn't want to live out in nowhere, so the choices were Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa and Orlando for me. I did settle on Orlando because of the parks, though.

And I'd been thinking about it quite a bit for ten years, three of them very seriously.

It just happened that my son was moving on with his own life at the same time houses became dirt-cheap in Florida. And I was at the point of really thinking it was for me. And then winter came. Again.

It's much longer than all that, really. But that's the gist.

It's better. There are many drawbacks! Toll roads, rain, fires, insurance, hurricane worries...no decent potato salad in the grocery store...but all things added up, it's better.

The only thing I miss are the fall leaves. And my brother and dad have the yard guys toss a bunch into a few boxes, so I scatter them about and have them. :) The lawn guys here asked me what they were supposed to do with them, lol. Did I want them raked up? :) I said, "Just mow over them" and they looked at me. "really. It's fine, just mow right over them like they aren't there." :)

I hadn't planned on having a pool. I looked at houses and thought, "If the one I like has a pool, fine. If not, fine." But my pool is THE best part, I think! I don't ever want to live without one again!! And the next one will be bigger!

A lot better. :)

We live in FL now - from RI - and we get plenty of those pesky small oak leaves here 70 miles south of Orlando that need raking. I'll bring some over if you need some more! And then we have the sycamores.

You get those drawbacks in the Northeast too, hurricanes, etc. except the potato salad part, and I have a great recipe I make when I'm in Florida if I need to! The secret is sweet pickles and pickle juice added. And then there is RI pizza withdrawal.........well I guess we can make that in FL too.

So no regrets from us either for moving to FL! Especially being 1.5 hours from WDW:D

Vader2112

@Wdwprince I am a native Nyer as well andI currenly live in Tampa it is like little NY in some areas after all the Yankees are based here in Tampa. A quick 90 minute drive to WDW. I have to say I'm not to found of FL. The parks are a definate plus. Schools are not so great, wages here are low in comparasion to NY but the the plus side is no State or NYC taxes. If you can get transferred with your current employer you are most likely going to better off. NO REAL PIZZA, BAGELS OR CHINESE FOOD!! The water is disgusting and smells coming out of the tap.
Best quote on Florida " I do not know how things work in Florida,which from your description, sounds like a colorful lawless swamp." Michael Scott on the office.

ChevisMickey

I think it is easier for adults to move to Florida than kids, so think about any little ones you might have. We moved to the panhandle when I was 7, and I've hated it ever since. My kids have never seen snow, however they would probably miss the beach (15 minutes from the Gulf :) ) if we moved north. Someday I'll move, but it will probably be to Orlando where the rest of my family has migrated to.

woodardfamily

I know this really doesn't count, but my family and I moved to Jax last July...since we were Disney fans anyway, being only a few hours away was a plus. What I did not count on was the impact fees charged for transferring vehicle tags! Otherwise, the move was great and it is awfully nice to be able to to weekend trips whenever we like. Our AP's have already paid for themselves!

luv

I've considered moving down there and my fear would be that I would make Disney "too accessible" - that the magic of it would be gone by over-doing it. Has that happened to any of you?
It's different. You won't be tremendously excited, because you aren't on vacation. You're just going to a park for a little while. It's still fun. I still love the parks and have passes to the Disney parks, Disney water parks, the Uni parks, the Sea World parks. But it's different.

I made sure I was over the thrill of the parks before I decided to move.

If you are a person who likes to be "in the bubble", taking only Disney busses, visiting only Disney parks, staying only in Disney hotels and eating only Disney food...you need to give serious consideration to whether you want to LIVE in Florida. IMO, it would be a big mistake to relocate just for the parks because, Yes, that thrill will wear off. You don't live in the parks.

But I didn't choose Orlando for its proximity to the beach, lol. It's nice to have the parks nearby, if you happen to like them, which I do. :)

It's wonderful to not worry about riding this or that. I'm thrilled that I won't have to use all this NextGen stuff and keep appointments for my meals and rides. Rope Drop? Seriously? I'm not getting involved in that craziness. I've been on all the popular rides enough...and I'll be on them again. The parks become more relaxing. There is much less "OH, MY GOD! I'M IN DISNEY!" and "SPIDER-MAN!! YAY!!" But that's okay, because the parks become familiar and welcoming, even if they aren't something that makes you want to scream. :) Still fun, just a new kind of fun. For me, anyway.

It's also nice to leave and be able to go home!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom