Tell me about your experience moving to Orlando

englanddg

One Little Spark...
With the exception of my history with the Southaven PD, I have to admit that I experienced WAAAY more racism up north than I have down here is good ole' Mississippi. I lived in Scranton for 3 years, and the first high school I attended was made up of roughly 500 kids. 5 black kids and me made up the entire minority population in that school. I had to endure endless ridicule from the "cool" wrestling jocks. I won't exactly tell you how I put an end to it, but let's just say that school security has been lacking for many years...

That was exactly my experience as well...both as a child and working professionally as an adult.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
My daughter is mixed (in the american term)...and yes, it bothers me that she will be told that I and my family (even though we are American Indian by 25%) are evil, and that her mother's family, who has taught me more about how to game the system than I ever wished to know...is righteous.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I have had a few EEOC interviews, and twice they flipped out when they found out I'm a registered Cherokee...

In the back of my mind, all I could think was...doesn't this epitomize racism?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Nothing is better than seeing some fat female (why are they always fat women?) federal "Social Rights Worker" think they have you nailed, to find out you are a trump card minority?

Their face is priceless.

luv

Luv! So funny I dreamed of living in florida since I was a little kid too. My grandmother lived in fL and we visited her often. I associated Florida with my sweet grandmother and always wanted to live there. And of course Disney!! We have been going since it opened. I also love the heat and the lush greenery. I still dream of moving there but it gets harder as roots get dug deeper in the north. But hopefully someday!!!!
Roots. They're why I didn't move twenty years ago. I know why people wait until they retire to move here! By a fluke of birth, you're born into some snow-covered tundra, you fall in love with someone there and produce offspring. Your kids need to stay up north. Then your parents need you.

Those people all WANT to live here, but they're kept up there!! When they're finally free, they move! :) They're just old when they finally get here.

I realize now that if I'd waited for my son to produce offspring, I likely would never have left. I pray that when he has them, they'll send me the kids for a couple weeks in the summer.

Kids have no idea what we endure for their ungrateful little souls.

I know "weather" seems (to some people) like a very silly reason to uproot your entire life, but I really am much happier in Florida than I ever was in the snow. We have prettier landscaping, too.

And I'll say it again. I LOVE MY POOL!!!!

draybook

Roots. They're why I didn't move twenty years ago. I know why people wait until they retire to move here! Your kids need to stay up north. Then your parents need you.

They all WANT to live here, but they're kept up there!! When they're finally free, they move! :)

I know "weather" seems (to some people) like a very silly reason to uproot your entire life, but I really am much happier in Florida than I ever was in the snow. We have prettier landscaping, too.

And I'll say it again. I LOVE MY POOL!!!!

My wife's main requirement is that any house I find HAS to have a pool.

luv

My wife's main requirement is that any house I find HAS to have a pool.
Some people don't like it. It raises your electric bill. You either have to do the balancing and vacuuming yourself or pay someone else. I pay. Including chemicals, new filters about once a year and the occasional pump issue, it balances out to about $150/month. I could save about $100/month if I did the balancing and brushing/vacuuming myself. But all I ever do is throw a bag of shock in if its been used a lot by a group of people, which is rare. I generally do nothing but enjoy it. :)

If you do it yourself, it's a bit of a chore. You cannot let pools slide as they'll turn on you rather quickly.

Floridians seem to be very torn. They either really want a pool or really do not! I, obviously, really do. :)

draybook

Some people don't like it. It raises your electric bill. You either have to do the balancing and vacuuming yourself or pay someone else. I pay. Including chemicals, new filters about once a year and the occasional pump issue, it balances out to about $150/month. I could save about $100/month if I did the balancing and brushing/vacuuming myself. But all I ever do is throw a bag of shock in if its been used a lot by a group of people, which is rare. I generally do nothing but enjoy it. :)

If you do it yourself, it's a bit of a chore. You cannot let pools slide as they'll turn on you rather quickly.

Floridians seem to be very torn. They either really want a pool or really do not! I, obviously, really do. :)

Yikes! Good thing we'll both be working then!

luv

Atlanta seems to be recovering...they have Coke now...so could we please just let the whole Civil War thing go?

JIMINYCR

All I hear is you live in Florida what about the hurricanes? We haven't had one in years! I live near West Palm Beach. How many Blizzards have you had? A lot more! I am 3 hours away from Disney near the beach. It is a lot cooler here than Disney being near the sea breezes. Close enough to visit though. If moving down to FL I would suggest stay away from Orlando all those bad things you here are from tourists who are causing them. Stay outside the area and it is great. We do have season's here. Fall is late Nov. and Dec. Winter is Jan. and Feb. and we do get into highs some days in the 30's. It just doesn't last long. When you have snow we have the best weather! Summer is the rainy season and yes it may rain everyday but only for less than an hour late afternoon. New England get summers in the mid 90's while here in Palm Beach County we are 80's! Been here 28 years from CT and would not go back to live ever. We also have no state income tax here!

Sending your quote to my wife. A 3 hour drive is doable. Some day.... sigh.:rolleyes: Maine: snow, taxes, tooo far from Disney.:D Glad to hear you're enjoying and living the good life.

Mammymouse

My daughter's pool is a salt system. It has a cell that converts salt to chlorine and being a fiberglass Viking pool we rarely have to do any brushing or cleaning. Only if we have a storm and the ground water from the garden overflows leaves or dirt into the pool. We just add a bag of salt maybe every other month and adjust the other chemical levels with baking soda and stabilizer about the same amount of time, less frequently in cooler months. Back in the late 80's we had a gunite pool and we had to do the brushing, etc as you describe, but this fiberglass is much easier. The heater is electric and does add to the bill, but our neighbor took his electric heater out and put in a solar heating system and has to shut it off in the summer months cause it constantly circulates the hot water. By the way, I still have property in RI and I'd rather pay $150 more in electric a month in Florida than $4.00 a gallon for heating/hot water oil up North now. I remember back in the 70' it was in the 30 cents a gallon range.

sweetpee_1993

Orlando has its pockets but overall it's the land of yuppies anymore. It lost its Southern culture years ago. Even Oviedo has gone that way. Ocoee is next and don't even get me started on the travesty that is now Clermont
OMG! I lived in Oviedo back in 1986/87! Went to Jackson Heights Middle, lived a few blocks from OHS. In 2004 we drove around to all the places I grew up around Orlando (Pine Castle area, Oviedo, Altamonte Springs, & Winter Park). NOTHING was the same. It was all so big. Hell, Red Bug Road didn't go the way it used to at all. I recognized the diner in town and Meat World. There were still some free-roaming chickens. But WOW has it ever changed! Clermont??? Clermont was nothing but orange groves and farms. I remember my brothers playing baseball tournaments in St. Cloud and thinking how hillbilly those people were. LOL! It's changed a LOT!

sweetpee_1993

Amen, sister. This past week I had a "moment" with my boys. They're few & far between because it takes a lot to set me off but I think everyone within 2 blocks heard me lay into them.

sweetpee_1993

Picked thru most of this thread. For the OP and the subject at hand I have this:

I grew up in Orlando. I moved there with my mom & her then-new husband in May 1981. We lived in Orlando (Pine Castle area, very scary place now), Oviedo (when it was still considered "the country"), Altamonte Springs, then Winter Park. I left in 1991 for good. Ran away from my mother & step-father to go live with my dad actually. Would I move back to Orlando or the Orlando area now? Not a flippin' chance. I dunno. I like living in/near big cities well enough there's just something about Orlando that makes me really not want to live there. Probably an emotional thing connected to when I was growing up. I know the wages there are pretty low. I know WE could never live there because it'd be way too much of a pay cut for what my husband does. The best he could get would be less than 1/3 what he makes here in Texas.

I have a ton of family in Pensacola (Northwest Florida) and have always considered that area "home". We even maintained our residency in Florida until just recently when we finally made the switch to Texas. We're back & forth between the 2 a lot and have homes in both places. The biggest driving factor to switch was car insurance. I have 2 teenage boys. We were paying about $220/month for our 3 cars then we added a 16 yro male. Our car insurance doubled. DOUBLED. Our most recent renewal was going to have us at $500/month for the same 3 cars & 3 drivers. That's when the husband looked into how much insurance would run us in Texas. Yep. We're back to about $275/month. At the rate we were going with Florida, we'd have been royally screwed when it came time to add our 2nd son as a driver. I have no doubt we'd be up close to $900/month or more.

House insurance. I know my grandmother in Pensacola and other relatives have had a devil of a time even getting homeowners insurance in recent years. When you do get it, be prepared to pay thru the nose. And, be careful where you buy a home if that's what you're going to do. You might be required to carry a windstorm policy. Homeowners insurance often excludes windstorm perils. That's a seperate policy. Typically it's offered thru a government program with deductibles that will be a percentage of your home's value AND there's no such thing as 100% coverage. Claims are almost always paid at a rate of 80% of the depreciated value. Be sure to take the time to understand insurances and the way they work wherever you plan to move. Factor that into your decision.

For me there are a lot of places I enjoy going and spending time but I don't necessarily want to live there. Disney and Orlando are particular golden examples of this for me. I like to visit there but have ZERO desire to ever live there again. I've lived in the South all my life and have always been within close proximity to the Gulf so hurricanes are nothin' but a thing for me. Of all the places I've lived without a doubt the place that felt most like "home" to me was the New Orleans area. Some of the best people I've ever known there. Such a wonderful, rich culture. Miss it so bad it hurts my poor little ol' heart to think about it too much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom