TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

elchippo

This is so awesome....absolutely the sponsor you would want for this ride. Couldn't be happier about this. I imagine the Robert Osborne presence will help to "set up" the films properly, to help curb the "these films aren't relevant!" criticism.

As much as I love those old faded banners outside I bet those will get replaced too....and maybe the Poppins/Jungle Book window displays as well.

Attachments

• DSC08493.jpg
    DSC08493.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 338

Skippy_

That's a good question, because I think it's kind of a mess. Ted Turner bought MGM at one point, then sold it, but retained some copyrights to the MGM library, then Warner bought MGM, and yet Turner still owns bits of it. Somehow.

I thought Warner owned all the MGM stuff before 60s with the exception of a couple of movies and that MGM retained the rights to the rest (which is next to nothing, as evident by the fact that the MGM tv channel only shows James Bond, The Terminator that they bought from Orion and a bunch of b-list movies all day, since the actual company has been on the verge of bankruptcy for a while now and hasn't produced any new content in years). You'll notice Gone with the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Singin' in the Rain, all the Hanna-barbera shows, the MGM Tom and Jerry cartoons, etc. are distributed by Warner and shown on TCM.

I think this is awesome news, especially it if was TCM that pushed to have the Sorcerer's Hat removed. If anyone here watches TCM and remembers the 2008 31 Days of Oscars promo, you know they'll come up with an awesome montage.

While I'll miss the movie trailers in the queue, I'm a fan of Robert Osborn and know above all else, they'll keep it classy. Hopefully guests will get a new appreciation for the classics.

Mike S

I thought Warner owned all the MGM stuff before 60s with the exception of a couple of movies and that MGM retained the rights to the rest (which is next to nothing, as evident by the fact that the MGM tv channel only shows James Bond, The Terminator that they bought from Orion and a bunch of b-list movies all day, since the actual company has been on the verge of bankruptcy for a while now and hasn't produced any new content in years). You'll notice Gone with the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Singin' in the Rain, all the Hanna-barbera shows, the MGM Tom and Jerry cartoons, etc. are distributed by Warner and shown on TCM.

I think this is awesome news, especially it if was TCM that pushed to have the Sorcerer's Hat removed. If anyone here watches TCM and remembers the 2008 31 Days of Oscars promo, you know they'll come up with an awesome montage.

While I'll miss the movie trailers in the queue, I'm a fan of Robert Osborn and know above all else, they'll keep it classy. Hopefully guests will get a new appreciation for the classics.

A real shame a movie like Jaws can't be put in the Great Movie Ride. It's an absolute perfect fit.

FettFan

Man, I think a lot of people will be disappointed when they see just how little the attraction will change.

Not quite. The new pre- and post-shows are going to feature one of the biggest upgrades needed to the ride....that is digital projection and new sound systems. During some of my rides-through of GMR, I can honestly say that the Ford's OEM stereo system in my car actually sounds better than the GMR films.

And it's really quite terrible that the video is always so grainy....especially jarring since many of the recent movies featured in the montage (Pirates and Finding Nemo) received a giant downgrade when added to the finale.

Anyway, I'm hoping that this will only be a "Phase One" of a full GMR overhaul. As new parts of the DHS expansion come online, I'm sure we will see more changes.

Haymarket2008

Just listened to Jim Hill, I know it is not an official source, but he is saying that the TCM refurb will not be anything substantial. Pre/Post show elements will change. He will be voicing some of the in ride narration. And he said there might be some new set dressing. He used this phrase to sum it up: "Putting a patch on a old tire." He DID say that they are looking to totally overhaul the entirety of the ride/the ride system in time for WDW 50th. So we won't see any major changed for another 5 years. It basically seems to be a refresher of something in the meantime while Pixar and Star Wars gets constructed. Then after all that happens, GMR gets the refurb we're hoping for. Again, it's not a confirmed source, but I'm choosing to believe him this time.

PhotoDave219

Just listened to Jim Hill, I know it is not an official source, but he is saying that the TCM refurb will not be anything substantial. Pre/Post show elements will change. He will be voicing some of the in ride narration. And he said there might be some new set dressing. He used this phrase to sum it up: "Putting a patch on a old tire." He DID say that they are looking to totally overhaul the entirety of the ride/the ride system in time for WDW 50th. So we won't see any major changed for another 5 years. It basically seems to be a refresher of something in the meantime while Pixar and Star Wars gets constructed. Then after all that happens, GMR gets the refurb we're hoping for. Again, it's not a confirmed source, but I'm choosing to believe him this time.

Or you could go with what I was saying a month and a half ago…

As for Star Wars? It's still a long ways off. Think 2020-ish.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The changes are being done due to the sponsorship arrangement to insert TCM. There is nothing that will substantially change the experience, which is probably why Disney has been so quiet about this. All of they info has come from TCM, and nothing from Disney. Have they even done a blog post about it?

RSoxNo1

The changes are being done due to the sponsorship arrangement to insert TCM. There is nothing that will substantially change the experience, which is probably why Disney has been so quiet about this. All of they info has come from TCM, and nothing from Disney. Have they even done a blog post about it?
They haven't. Everything is from TCM. Jim's initial report on TGMR was that it would be among the last things to change at DHS/DHA. If they're updating the finale video, pre-show video and doing audio upgrades that doesn't necessarily mean that the ride is safe.

Kman101

It'd be nice if they could "rush" Star Wars for 2019, that'd be a nice 30th anniversary gift for DHS.

And with TCM having a 5 year deal, that takes it to 2019 so it's not hard to assume DHS would/could/or-not do something different with Great Movie Ride. Hill's not really saying much that many aren't already speculating about. Not sure why he feels the need to insist on being right in terms of that. Let's just enjoy the attention it will get and not worry about GMR at the moment. JMO.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Not quite. The new pre- and post-shows are going to feature one of the biggest upgrades needed to the ride....that is digital projection and new sound systems. During some of my rides-through of GMR, I can honestly say that the Ford's OEM stereo system in my car actually sounds better than the GMR films.

And it's really quite terrible that the video is always so grainy....especially jarring since many of the recent movies featured in the montage (Pirates and Finding Nemo) received a giant downgrade when added to the finale.

Anyway, I'm hoping that this will only be a "Phase One" of a full GMR overhaul. As new parts of the DHS expansion come online, I'm sure we will see more changes.
Those things definitely do need work, but are FAR from the first thing that comes to mind when I form a GMR wishlist.

RAXIP

slappy magoo

If they eventually add new scenes, I would love to see George Melies' "Trip To The Moon" which would be perfect for a dark ride. After all, Georges Méliès was James Cameron before James Cameron was James Cameron and the ride currently lacks a proper prescence for one of its founding fathers and silent film.
You know what? Were they to update the entire ride experience, this would be a great way to go about it - include screens on the cars with videos of today's most important filmmakers discussing their influences. Maybe Cameron WAS influenced by Méliès, imagine as you enter a section that represents Trip To the Moon, a video as Cameron explains how profound this was to his decision to be a filmmaker/storyteller. Have Lucas chat up Cecil B Demille before the Red Seas part. Brad Bird saluting Ray Harryhausen. Ron Howard on John Ford. Tarantino on Leone. Heck, Michael Bay on Hal Needham, and you can have a big car wreck in the middle of TGMR :D

Even if the scenes being represented are unfamiliar to younger audiences, if you have Brad Bird going "Hey, I made the Incredibles and Ratatouille, I KNOW what I'm talking about, Ray Harryhausen is the man," maybe some kids and younger guests will leave wanting to know who Harryhausen was.

Or keep the scenes that exist, but give them narration from current big shot stars or filmmakers. Maybe if Chris Pratt talks about why Alien is so awesome, some kids will give StarLord the benefit of the doubt.

RSoxNo1

It'd be nice if they could "rush" Star Wars for 2019, that'd be a nice 30th anniversary gift for DHS.

And with TCM having a 5 year deal, that takes it to 2019 so it's not hard to assume DHS would/could/or-not do something different with Great Movie Ride. Hill's not really saying much that many aren't already speculating about. Not sure why he feels the need to insist on being right in terms of that. Let's just enjoy the attention it will get and not worry about GMR at the moment. JMO.
Where is it reported that this is a 5 year deal?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom