TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

Beholder

You know what? Were they to update the entire ride experience, this would be a great way to go about it - include screens on the cars with videos of today's most important filmmakers discussing their influences. Maybe Cameron WAS influenced by Méliès, imagine as you enter a section that represents Trip To the Moon, a video as Cameron explains how profound this was to his decision to be a filmmaker/storyteller. Have Lucas chat up Cecil B Demille before the Red Seas part. Brad Bird saluting Ray Harryhausen. Ron Howard on John Ford. Tarantino on Leone. Heck, Michael Bay on Hal Needham, and you can have a big car wreck in the middle of TGMR :D

Even if the scenes being represented are unfamiliar to younger audiences, if you have Brad Bird going "Hey, I made the Incredibles and Ratatouille, I KNOW what I'm talking about, Ray Harryhausen is the man," maybe some kids and younger guests will leave wanting to know who Harryhausen was.

Or keep the scenes that exist, but give them narration from current big shot stars or filmmakers. Maybe if Chris Pratt talks about why Alien is so awesome, some kids will give StarLord the benefit of the doubt.

I like this concept, bridging the divide of then and now with current directors and actors. Interesting idea. Keep the classic sets while the contemporary folks explain why these older films DO matter. Nice!

Goofyernmost

...The cast members will be notified that their services are no longer required. The same thing happened to each narrator on Living With The Land in EPCOT :-(
You could be correct, but, unless they change the entire concept in the Indiana and Mummy's section, that entire thing will be lost. It would also put a crimp in the gangster and western scene. I don't think that is what they are going for at this point. Later, if they change the attraction, set wise, it could happen, but I don't believe it is in immediate danger.

Kman101

asianway

The changes are being done due to the sponsorship arrangement to insert TCM. There is nothing that will substantially change the experience, which is probably why Disney has been so quiet about this. All of they info has come from TCM, and nothing from Disney. Have they even done a blog post about it?
Nope still waiting for the Hat and Backlot Tour posts too. And what was up with the midnight SWW post?

Figments Friend

Man, I think a lot of people will be disappointed when they see just how little the attraction will change.

Yes, i think some may miss-interupt the news as 'major big changes' in the way of new scenes when it is just a slight refresh done with mostly pre-exsiting fixtures.

Still, it is good that something is being done to help freshen it up a little.
It is a classic Attraction and needs to stay...but a little refreshing in small ways can never hurt.

RSoxNo1

I do have to wonder why there's this constant push by him to have Jim Hill be in the right all the time? His name is brought up so much. I just don't see why it needs to be constantly said "Jim was right. Jim had this first". Who cares?

EDIT: Not trying to be rude at all but I'm genuinely curious why there's the need to have Jim be right? That's all.
Jim is a friend of mine, I have no reservations saying that. The days of who had the story first seem to becoming less important now that twitter exists and anyone can tweet a story without thoroughly vetting it (Jon Lester rumors, I'm looking at you). I saw that with Disney rumors this site was the best source of information, but in a 900 page WDW1974 thread there are 3 worthwhile posts that have actual information. I'm interested in the information. Yes, I trust some sources more than others, PhotoDave is a source I trust. If he posted something prior to Jim reporting it on his podcast, I would happily put it on my site that shows the chronology of the GMR rumors.

As for my push for Jim Hill to be right. It comes with his reputation here. He gets raked over the coals and it isn't always deserved. I would defend any other individual that I felt was unjustly assessed on here. I'm sure if I did some digging through rumors that Lee and WDW1974 have posted, they too posted stuff that wound up not happening. That's the nature of rumors, things change, things are always fluid, and most of our insiders still have better track records than Disney themselves. The hard part with rumors is that people often take the Storage Wars mentality. If you've ever watched the show, they find something in a storage locker and assign a value to it on the spot as if there is a 100% guarantee they will get that price for it. That's not how reality works and it's not how rumors work.

Disney has announced Avatar and Frozen attractions. By all accounts, they are both happening but it wouldn't be unprecedented if neither wound up happening. Extenuating circumstances change projects that have already been announced. Construction had already begun on New Fantasyland when a new ride was added right in the middle of it. Does that mean Jay Rasulo was lying?

Last edited:

HMF

Construction had already begun on New Fantasyland when a new ride was added right in the middle of it. Does that mean Jay Rasulo was lying?
I don't think Rasulo realized a "slightly" more competent person would take over P&R.

mac_connell

What they really need to work on is the actors and guides of the vehicles. It feels as though the only requirement lately to narrate the ride is "Can you speak?" I recently went on and had the most dull narrator and was yawning but then we got to the gangster scene! I almost felt bad at his attempt to play a gangster as people were snickering and laughing. Now I know they do their best and try to make it special. I'm one of the few guest that actually appreciate the cast members at Disney. But if they want to make it magical, please use cast members that make it exciting.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Jim is a friend of mine, I have no reservations saying that. The days of who had the story first seem to becoming less important now that twitter exists and anyone can tweet a story without thoroughly vetting it (Jon Lester rumors, I'm looking at you). I saw that with Disney rumors this site was the best source of information, but in a 900 page WDW1974 thread there are 3 worthwhile posts that have actual information. I'm interested in the information. Yes, I trust some sources more than others, PhotoDave is a source I trust. If he posted something prior to Jim reporting it on his podcast, I would happily put it on my site that shows the chronology of the GMR rumors.

As for my push for Jim Hill to be right. It comes with his reputation here. He gets raked over the coals and it isn't always deserved. I would defend any other individual that I felt was unjustly assessed on here. I'm sure if I did some digging through rumors that Lee and WDW1974 have posted, they too posted stuff that wound up not happening. That's the nature of rumors, things change, things are always fluid, and most of our insiders still have better track records than Disney themselves. The hard part with rumors is that people often take the Storage Wars mentality. If you've ever watched the show, they find something in a storage locker and assign a value to it on the spot as if there is a 100% guarantee they will get that price for it. That's not how reality works and it's not how rumors work.

Disney has announced Avatar and Frozen attractions. By all accounts, they are both happening but it wouldn't be unprecedented if neither wound up happening. Extenuating circumstances change projects that have already been announced. Construction had already begun on New Fantasyland when a new ride was added right in the middle of it. Does that mean Jay Rasulo was lying?

This is the best post on the nature of Disney rumors in a LONG time, The real insiders @Lee and @WDW1974 have been more accurate over time than the 'official' news channels and as for construction projects being stopped look at the resorts which were stopped immediately after 9/11 and just allowed to rot in the weather so the same COULD happen to Avatar and FrozStrom. Yes the resorts WERE completed but not as originally imagined as an expansion of All Star Music - they became AoA.

Does not mean people were lying or intending to deceive - businesses change leadership and direction.

Goofyernmost

This is the best post on the nature of Disney rumors in a LONG time, The real insiders @Lee and @WDW1974 have been more accurate over time than the 'official' news channels and as for construction projects being stopped look at the resorts which were stopped immediately after 9/11 and just allowed to rot in the weather so the same COULD happen to Avatar and FrozStrom. Yes the resorts WERE completed but not as originally imagined as an expansion of All Star Music - they became AoA.

Does not mean people were lying or intending to deceive - businesses change leadership and direction.
At the risk of being accused of being pedantic, I'm sure you meant "as an expansion of POP Century - they became AoA."

TheGhostWithTheMost

What they really need to work on is the actors and guides of the vehicles. It feels as though the only requirement lately to narrate the ride is "Can you speak?" I recently went on and had the most dull narrator and was yawning but then we got to the gangster scene! I almost felt bad at his attempt to play a gangster as people were snickering and laughing. Now I know they do their best and try to make it special. I'm one of the few guest that actually appreciate the cast members at Disney. But if they want to make it magical, please use cast members that make it exciting.
You try speaking for 20 minutes at a time and for 12 hours day for a sometimes required six day week and getting paid less than an Orlando McDonald's worker to do it. Disney gets what they paid for. Disney doesn't want to pay them a fair price for their work so they tell them not to act. I know friends who have gotten in trouble for acting too much. There was a big fight when Equity came in about if Jungle Cruise and GMR would be considered acting roles. Solution? Disney told them not to act and pays them bottom basement price to do a great deal or work. You get disciplined if you call out when you have no voice for spieling without the breaks that an entertainment union would get you. That's what it's like. Also, you don't get to pick if you're going to a spieling attraction. What if you're a college program kid and they stick you at GMR and you're terrified of speaking in front of people? Tough. Deal with it or leave the company. Disney gets what they pay for. If GMR gets paid as much as the people who push the "make the movie start" button at Muppet Vision then they should put in he same amount of effort.

pumpkin7

I'm a bit late to the party but I'm soooo pleased they aren't getting rid of GMR. Even if they only do minor changes, its not going anywhere!
Still, looking at that opening day video, the little things make a big difference. Like Marys dress had a fan to make it blow around? Thats epic, and I knew the Footlight Parade had water but I didn't know it spun around. Think of all the models that are pointed to the back of the stage area and get to look at a wall! Granted, the others get to look at a screen but boy, what a difference.

DManRightHere

You know what? Were they to update the entire ride experience, this would be a great way to go about it - include screens on the cars with videos of today's most important filmmakers discussing their influences. Maybe Cameron WAS influenced by Méliès, imagine as you enter a section that represents Trip To the Moon, a video as Cameron explains how profound this was to his decision to be a filmmaker/storyteller. Have Lucas chat up Cecil B Demille before the Red Seas part. Brad Bird saluting Ray Harryhausen. Ron Howard on John Ford. Tarantino on Leone. Heck, Michael Bay on Hal Needham, and you can have a big car wreck in the middle of TGMR :D

Even if the scenes being represented are unfamiliar to younger audiences, if you have Brad Bird going "Hey, I made the Incredibles and Ratatouille, I KNOW what I'm talking about, Ray Harryhausen is the man," maybe some kids and younger guests will leave wanting to know who Harryhausen was.

Or keep the scenes that exist, but give them narration from current big shot stars or filmmakers. Maybe if Chris Pratt talks about why Alien is so awesome, some kids will give StarLord the benefit of the doubt.

Please no more TV's on ride vehicles :(

Magic Feather

Yeah! It is great that we will get a cool new façade, (or is it a marquee I mix them up) to look at when we say Sayonara! (Japanese good bye) to the Socerer's Hat

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom