TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

jdmdisney99

I really hope we don't lose the live CMs. They add a charming personal factor to attractions that is starting to disappear in the parks and society, limiting person to person interaction and proper social skills. I know it's a bit ironic to be saying this on an Internet forum, but with no warm, living, sentient being in front of them, people end up just plain disrespectful when faced with a person. The live CMs bring so much to the attraction, on many different levels. A successor with any less would be a hollow shell of its former self.

Marc Gil

Unless the live CMs start putting some heart into their performances I won't miss them. Can't remember the last time I got a CM that didn't mumble into the mic and totally blow the reveal at the end.

It's not charming when it's half hearted.
Well, while most CMs tend to give a monotone performance, I've had some that were absolutely hilarious and engaging.

It's sad because the GMR guides get paid the same amount as any other attractions host or hostess. Being a guide on the GMR is more of a performance, and I think that they should use entertainment CMs to fill the role as the guides rather than attractions CMs.

Belowthesurface

You have to consider that College Program Cast get put here just to fill the quota and not to enhance the Guest experience.

Also, you can't deny anybody who wants to cross train at GMR even if they have a heavy accent or simply want to go there because they can get the bid lines they want. Unless Entertainment runs it, Ops worries more about show rather than needing bodies or the Union dissolves, nothing will change.

Marc Gil

You have to consider that College Program Cast get put here just to fill the quota and not to enhance the Guest experience.

Also, you can't deny anybody who wants to cross train at GMR even if they have a heavy accent or simply want to go there because they can get the bid lines they want. Unless Entertainment runs it, Ops worries more about show rather than needing bodies or the Union dissolves, nothing will change.
I actually made sure to make a point to state that I wanted to work at GMR during my DCP Spring 2015 interview. The interviewer suddenly got interested as to why I wanted to work in that location.

I gave her the whole song and dance that I love classic movies, and that I've been a fan of the GMR for years, and that I basically know the entire script like the back of my hand....

Didn't end up getting acknowledged for that... But I also did have the interview the last week of October, so they probably filled all the attraction roles by then.

Belowthesurface

I actually made sure to make a point to state that I wanted to work at GMR during my DCP Spring 2015 interview. The interviewer suddenly got interested as to why I wanted to work in that location.

I gave her the whole song and dance that I love classic movies, and that I've been a fan of the GMR for years, and that I basically know the entire script like the back of my hand....

Didn't end up getting acknowledged for that... But I also did have the interview the last week of October, so they probably filled all the attraction roles by then.

The amount of people who request GMR, Mansion and Jungle is overwhelming. Sometimes people go where they request, but most of them time not. It's all up to the person at Casting who looks at your application, but most of the time they are more concerned about just filling quotas.

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to offer you a role in Food and Beverage even though you did not list it as a choice.

Kman101

That's the first problem, they just want to fill quotas. I get it, but you know, how about putting people where they want to be. I'd guess that would increase their happiness and they'd do that role even more justice because they are where they want to be. IMO, just shoving people everywhere is a problem.

Beholder

I'm a little late to this thread, but this is great news. Love the attraction, love "classic" movies, really enjoy TCM, so I'm excited.

If they did change the live CM "act", I wouldn't mind a guided tour with a nod towards the history and/or a behind the scenes look at the sets. I know most people would find that boring, but I'd like it. What would be great is if they added a Hollywood specific store at the end that sold movie posters, 8x10's of the stars, Disney and TCM DVD/bluray collections and biographies of the various movie stars.

Kman101

Wasn't Sid Cahuenga's the Movie Memorabilia store? I guess they still sell a bit but I haven't been in there since they switched things up as FP+ location. Is it still? They should consider that type of store again, but maybe a little more organized and less like a garage sale/ebay of memorabilia, even though I did always love roaming around in there.

Progress.City

Let's start taking bets concerning Wednesday's announcement... Will they also announce the HS redo while they're at announcing the GMR redo? It makes sense, since the two go together. If the GMR redo is part of the larger HS redo project, you can't mention one and not the other... Or can they?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Let's start taking bets concerning Wednesday's announcement... Will they also announce the HS redo while they're at announcing the GMR redo? It makes sense, since the two go together. If the GMR redo is part of the larger HS redo project, you can't mention one and not the other... Or can they?
Didn't the announcement already happen? The original NYT article posted on page 1 was written on Tuesday 11/25 and said the official announcement would be on Wednesday. I think it was officially announced last Wednesday with no details about anything else in the park. Here's the press release from the TCM side:
http://www.tcm.com/this-month/movie...-and-The-Walt-Disney-Studios-Team-Up&banner=1

Progress.City

Didn't the announcement already happen? The original NYT article posted on page 1 was written on Tuesday 11/25 and said the official announcement would be on Wednesday. I think it was officially announced last Wednesday with no details about anything else in the park. Here's the press release from the TCM side:
http://www.tcm.com/this-month/movie...-and-The-Walt-Disney-Studios-Team-Up&banner=1
Oh... Well, thanks! All bets are now closed! Lol

Any way, I just looked at it. It was TCM's end of the announcement. I would assume Disney would release their own statement... Or maybe not...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Oh... Well, thanks! All bets are now closed! Lol

Any way, I just looked at it. It was TCM's end of the announcement. I would assume Disney would release their own statement... Or maybe not...
Disney didn't have a press release. I would have expected something on the parks blog. They will probably wait until it gets closer to opening in the spring.

As far as the other stuff goes, who knows. They are changing the name of the park and doing a complete overhaul so I would expect a DCA 2.0 style announcement. However, they don't want people avoiding the park until the new stuff opens so they may wait to announce even though construction will be going on already. Maybe we get an announcement in the next 3 to 6 months with some more detail this summer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom