Tarzan Rocks to close?

xfkirsten

Unfortunately, knowing the recent trend in budget cutting in the parks, I wouldn't be surprised if they did cut it. Bear in mind that almost every performer in this show is Equity... and that gets pricey. I'm sure they're looking at it from a cost-benefit point of view. As much as I love the show, I know that not everyone feels that way. If it's not popular enough, they're not going to want to pay the upkeep for cast and such. :(

lscott933

isn't mt everett have something to do with mining. who else mines. the seven dwarfs. disneyland had snow white show. maybe that would be a great fit for the theming and showplace. maybe that is what they have in mine with the whole new theming area. we can only hope. it is a good show in california.

barnum42

speck76 said:
I like the Tarzan ROCKS! show.......I like the fact they tried something different, instead of the same-old type of shows they have been showing for years.

I also enjoy FotLK for the same reason.....it is something different.

I would no be heartbroken if Tarzan ROCKS! closes......as long as it is replaced with something, and as long as the new show is not more of the same old stuff done in the same old style like we have seen before.
Thanks speck - saved me having to type the response, they are pretty much my feelings on the show.

disneywy

CTXRover said:
Perhaps the closure at that time is not only to perhaps install a new show, but could it also be part of a redesign of the theater's entrance? Right now, when they are queuing up for a show, the walkway around the theater comes semi-congested. Add on the fact that this walkway will probably see higher traffic with the opening of Everest, perhaps the show will be closing in October to widen that pathway/rearrage the queueing/entrance area for the show?

This is what I think too (as I stated earlier). Maybe the show isn't coming back, but have to think that they will use the time to redo the entrance and traffic problems. It is kind of a hard area to theme a show to, but keeping something for people who don't want to ride Everest nearby does make sense.

Theresonly1

Computer Magic said:
I do enjoy this show. It's not as good as the FOLK but better then Primeval Whirl, TriceraTop Spin or those carnival games.

I would be open to improvements but I enjoy the music of Phil Collins and hope they keep that.

I agree! :)

wannabeBelle

Invero said:
*sigh* I really enjoyed Tarzan Rocks. I love the music, and the rollerbladers kick butt. :)
I agree with you Tyler!!! I think the show is amazing. I dig the Rock concert concept and hey if it is too loud you are too old!!!! There is nothing about the show that I dont like, from the music, to the aerial stunting, to the singing, tto the dancing. I just enjoy it all and have it on video once or twice. Adn to close a show I REALLY enjoy and to leave an area like that dark??? That is a travesty!!!!! Belle

Edeyore

Tarzan Rocks to close !!!!

I am sorry for all of those who liked Tarzan Rocks, but when you take great
music from Phil Collins and have it sung by a "performer" that would be best
described as a lounge singer, the result was not good. I gave this show a chance when it was first out, but avoided it any time after that.

barnum42

Edeyore said:
but when you take great music from Phil Collins and have it sung by a "performer" that would be best described as a lounge singer, the result was not good.
As with any live show, it all depends on the cast at the performance you see. I have seen several lead singers and backing combinations, the quality has varied from bored to outstanding. Same goes for the band, one of the lead guitarists and one of the bass guitarists are brilliant in the way they get involved in the show. Others just stand there and get on with it.

nor'easter

he-guy said:
Welcome to the boards.. ...I guess. While the show is louder than most, there are plenty of reasons for people to enjoy this show enough to watch it again. The word "ROCKS" being in the name kind of gives it away as being a loud style of show, and it is fairly unique when compared any other shows on property. While FotLK is supposedly the highest rated, some people actually prefer Tarzan over it. As for being unsuitable for the area, when DAK was first opening (and shrinking down from original plans for that matter) a lot of things got placed where they don't make the most sense. Why is FotLK located where it is? There's only so much you could put in the park that deals with Dinsosaurs, most would agree that Dinoland has expanded too much already.

Thanks, I guess.
At the risk of being labeled elitist, a snob, whatever....you guys should be more discerning about what Disney passes off in its parks. I'll go out on a limb here...most all of Disney's attractions OTHER THAN live shows are top notch. The landscaping in the parks is beautiful. Even the food is passable, and the themeing of the parks is generally great. But their live show productions are fifth rate. ANyone who compares the Legend of the Lion King show favourably with the Broadway production has not seen the Broadway show. While Legend of the Lion King is OK (even passable) it is NO WHERE near Broadway show caliber.

The Aladdin show at Calif Adventure was well done, and I hear Snow White is good. The streetmosphere characters at the Studios are fun. Hunchback was good, and the stunt shows are good (they have great stunts, even though the setups are awful). But most all other live productions seem to be designed as "filler" , and are junky. The worst offender is that monstrosity that they play on the castle forecourt stage.

I guess I'm disappointed that Disney fans here would like some of this stuff. Disney should strive for excellence, and fans should insist on it.

Anyway, flame away....

dvcnut39

Couldn't agree more!

mandib said:
I've seen it twice, one too many times as far as I'm concerned. I just hope it doesn't stay dark. The Jungle Book show looked cute. I didn't get to AK until 2000 so I missed it. Oh well. Just pray it's nothing like Pocahantas, wow that show needs help. :)

We've seen it once. One more time than we should have. As I posted earlier, I am not one to complain, but this show is lousy. Really lousy! I'll take my chances with a new attraction.

barnum42

nor'easter said:
Thanks, I guess.
Disney's attractions OTHER THAN live shows are top notch.

ANyone who compares the Legend of the Lion King show favourably with the Broadway production has not seen the Broadway show. While Legend of the Lion King is OK (even passable) it is NO WHERE near Broadway show caliber.
I find most of the live shows top notch, but I don't compare them to Broadway, and here is for why:

A whole day at a Disney park costs a fraction the expense of seats at a Broadway musical. So to damn the park shows because they are not Broadway is hardly a balanced comparison.

I am a theatrical snob, I've seen the best London's West End has to offer and I come from a professional performers background. The park shows are great fun. If you want the passion and intensity of Les Miserable, then you won't find it here, but as a fun extension of the park experience they are most welcome.

wannabeBelle

barnum42 said:
I find most of the live shows top notch, but I don't compare them to Broadway, and here is for why:

A whole day at a Disney park costs a fraction the expense of seats at a Broadway musical. So to damn the park shows because they are not Broadway is hardly a balanced comparison.

I am a theatrical snob, I've seen the best London's West End has to offer and I come from a professional performers background. The park shows are great fun. If you want the passion and intensity of Les Miserable, then you won't find it here, but as a fun extension of the park experience they are most welcome.
Hey there Barnum, I couldnt agree more!! I love in NYC and so have relatively easy access to Braodway and I have only been there twice. I certainly dont compare Beauty & the Beast on Broadway to the one in MGM but that isnt what it is supposed to be either. And as Barnum said, the park admission is about 6/10ths of what a Broadway show out here costs!!! There are too many differences to draw a balanced comparison. Belle

barnum42

nor'easter said:
....you guys should be more discerning about what Disney passes off in its parks.

I guess I'm disappointed that Disney fans here would like some of this stuff.

Anyway, flame away....
I've addressed my opinions of the shows in a separate reply. I'll now address the quotes above.

Different folks have different tastes and not everyone will like the same thing. By all means say what you don't like and why. It can be fun and interesting to discuss such things. However, it's a little rude to have a go at people for liking something that does not float your particular boat.

I think if you are likely to get flamed it will be for trying to tell people what they should and should not like.

FamilyMan

Account Suspended
If Tarzan closes, that is gonna mean that they have plans for the piece of land that the Theater in the Wild is sitting on. Or McDonald's is pulling out. Or both.

The Theater in the Wild isn't really built too well either... it's more of a tent like structure. I don't believe it was ever meant to be permanent. I can't say it fits the theming of Dinoland at all, to say the least. Maybe we'll get a Dino themed coaster? :)

Eh, I'm wishing too hard. Probably get another Dumbo or Tower of Terror clone. LMAO

wannab@dis

nor'easter said:
Thanks, I guess.
At the risk of being labeled elitist, a snob, whatever....you guys should be more discerning about what Disney passes off in its parks. I'll go out on a limb here...most all of Disney's attractions OTHER THAN live shows are top notch. The landscaping in the parks is beautiful. Even the food is passable, and the themeing of the parks is generally great. But their live show productions are fifth rate. ANyone who compares the Legend of the Lion King show favourably with the Broadway production has not seen the Broadway show. While Legend of the Lion King is OK (even passable) it is NO WHERE near Broadway show caliber.

The Aladdin show at Calif Adventure was well done, and I hear Snow White is good. The streetmosphere characters at the Studios are fun. Hunchback was good, and the stunt shows are good (they have great stunts, even though the setups are awful). But most all other live productions seem to be designed as "filler" , and are junky. The worst offender is that monstrosity that they play on the castle forecourt stage.

I guess I'm disappointed that Disney fans here would like some of this stuff. Disney should strive for excellence, and fans should insist on it.

Anyway, flame away....

I don't agree at all. The shows on property are not meant be comparable to the broadway shows. I can only imagine the difference in the production costs, set costs and actor costs. So to think that the parks should somehow incur those costs to provide a single attraction to guests is a little far-fetched.

All that said, I think MOST of the shows are done really well.

AndyP

I think it is a good show, something different, and enjoyable. I don'y mind them replacing it along as its something different again. Has the show had low crowds recently? Its always been packed when I've been there. If its going to shut, I wish I could see it one more time before it went. The thing is, what would go there? I can't think of a show that would fit in with Everest or Dinoland. (Ok I know Tarzan didn't fit). So its going to be something that doesn't fit, something very imaginative that does fit, a ride (but I doubt it next to Everest) or, maybe some sort of new area, like for restaurant that looks out to Everest. Or maybe I'm just getting carried away!!

dxwwf3

FamilyMan said:
Eh, I'm wishing too hard. Probably get another Dumbo or Tower of Terror clone. LMAO

Hey would a Tower of Terror clone really be all that bad? If it was themed properly and made sense, then I think that Disney could do alot worse than that. Now a Maliboomer clone would be a different story :lol:

DDuckFan130

barnum42 said:
As with any live show, it all depends on the cast at the performance you see. I have seen several lead singers and backing combinations, the quality has varied from bored to outstanding. Same goes for the band, one of the lead guitarists and one of the bass guitarists are brilliant in the way they get involved in the show. Others just stand there and get on with it.
I was trying to find the words to express myself about this show, and you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Thanks :wave: :D Anyway, the first time I saw this show I was so disappointed in how they ruined Phil Collins' music. Second time I don't remember much. Last time however the show was enjoyable. The male singer had a great voice, as did one of the female singers. However, the other girl's voice aggravated me to no end!! It was a high screechy voice and I thought it didn't fit well with the music. I do love the rollerblading because it's just too cool!

Unlike many on this board, however, I have to say if I had to choose, it'd be TR over FOTLK any day. I don't know why...but there's just something about FOTLK that strikes a bad chord with me. Don't get me wrong, it's all right. I just prefer TR...probably because of the music aspect :D.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom