Tarzan Rocks to close?

Legacy

DDuckFan130 said:
Unlike many on this board, however, I have to say if I had to choose, it'd be TR over FOTLK any day. I don't know why...but there's just something about FOTLK that strikes a bad chord with me. Don't get me wrong, it's all right. I just prefer TR...probably because of the music aspect :D.
I'm with you on that one and it is easily because of the music. The format of the show also helps, providing a very different look and feel to almost anything Disney has previously done.

It doesn't matter anymore though. The greatest stage show that was ever at WDW is already long gone...

:(

May the Bells ring forever...

Yen_Sid1

If Tarzan closes, they will probably just replace it with another show. Remember, it was originally the Jungle Book show. So maybe they could theme it with something Asian, maybe some kind of Mulan show.

speck76

In addition to my previous comments....I think 1 major problem that WDW has with the current roster of shows is that they have been around too long.

Voyage of the Little Mermaid has been around for 13 years, Beauty and the Beast.....11 years.........

Even though these shows are still popular, they are not as popular as they once were, and I think they are more popular by circumstance....that is.....there is nothing else to do, so, people go to the show.

Shows should be changed out on a regular basis. It is a lot cheaper to create a new show than to build a new ride, I would think WDC would be all over bringing new shows to the parks.

One problem that I have with DAK is that the park does not have a great amount of attractions......it needs an additional show, not a replacement show.

Legacy

(Slight thread drift because of Speck mentioning the shows, resort-wide)

We have had the Tomorrowland Theater dark for a few years now. However, Disney currently has a show that could fit perfectly within the style of the theater and the park.

On The Record already screams themepark show. Also, I think it would be cake for Disney to pick the best sessions, and condense them into a 30 minute show.

Voila, instant crowd soaker.

I personally hated the show. It definatley wasn't 'Rockin'' and the guy that sang was really awful - nowhere near meeting the almighty Phill Collins. The only thing I liked about it was the amazing procenium arch and the talent of the drummer. C'est tout.

I'm glad it's going - hopefully to make way for a show as good as Festival of the Lion King.

barnum42

Legacy said:
It doesn't matter anymore though. The greatest stage show that was ever at WDW is already long gone...

:(

May the Bells ring forever...
My fave is stil FOLK, but Notre Dame is a Damn close second.

Legacy

barnum42 said:
My fave is stil FOLK, but Notre Dame is a Damn close second.
I just feel FotLK is a little too scattered for my taste. Hunchback took a great story and great music, and condensed it into a visual, audial (sp) and downright amazing spectacle. Combined with the production aspects being so incredibly unique it will always hold a place in my heart.

(I actually have one of the Aces they were passing out at the last performance. Man that show was a tear-jerker.)

Piebald

I remember the Jungle Book show. I don't remember it being that great though. The costumes were weird and aside from singing and dancing I don't remember it having any cool stunts or anything (except maybe some monkeys jumping around but nothing like FOTLK). It was OK at best. Nothing could have compared to the horrible horrible parade AK first had when it opened.

DDuckFan130

Legacy said:
I just feel FotLK is a little too scattered for my taste. Hunchback took a great story and great music, and condensed it into a visual, audial (sp) and downright amazing spectacle. Combined with the production aspects being so incredibly unique it will always hold a place in my heart.

(I actually have one of the Aces they were passing out at the last performance. Man that show was a tear-jerker.)
Hm, the way you talk about it, I wish I could have seen it when it was around. But it wasn't really my fault. I let myself be talked into my cousin's whims and she refused to see any shows. So my parents got to see Notre Dame when it was around. I remember my mom really liking it, almost as much as Beauty and the Beast, and that's saying a lot because Beauty and the Beast is my mom's favorite movie and favorite show (well now she loves Philarmagic too :D ).

Legacy

DDuckFan130 said:
Hm, the way you talk about it, I wish I could have seen it when it was around. But it wasn't really my fault. I let myself be talked into my cousin's whims and she refused to see any shows. So my parents got to see Notre Dame when it was around. I remember my mom really liking it, almost as much as Beauty and the Beast, and that's saying a lot because Beauty and the Beast is my mom's favorite movie and favorite show (well now she loves Philarmagic too :D ).
It was just so neat how eveything was done. It was very stylized, almost capable of being extended into a show itself. The full stage version in Germany was actually even more unique, with a set consisting of 6 prizms whose colors and patterns would change, while each on could move individually. Shame I could never see it.

I will ALWAYS remember the Hunchback from MGM though. With the Djali marionette, that giant horse for Frollo to ride, and Quasi swinging out over the audience, it was simply wow.

And the preshow kicked so much booty.

askmike1

I hope this isn't Hunchback all over again. Both are very similar. Both featured great shows taken down with nothing put in it's place. In both parks there were other shows that should have been taken down instead (BatB, Pocahontas). Now TR is nowhere near the spectacular that was Hunchack IMO, but I still think it's a good show an it would be a shame to see empty space.

-Michael
http://mfw.frandt.com

Lynx04

nor'easter said:
Thanks, I guess.
At the risk of being labeled elitist, a snob, whatever....you guys should be more discerning about what Disney passes off in its parks. I'll go out on a limb here...most all of Disney's attractions OTHER THAN live shows are top notch. The landscaping in the parks is beautiful. Even the food is passable, and the themeing of the parks is generally great. But their live show productions are fifth rate. ANyone who compares the Legend of the Lion King show favourably with the Broadway production has not seen the Broadway show. While Legend of the Lion King is OK (even passable) it is NO WHERE near Broadway show caliber.

The Aladdin show at Calif Adventure was well done, and I hear Snow White is good. The streetmosphere characters at the Studios are fun. Hunchback was good, and the stunt shows are good (they have great stunts, even though the setups are awful). But most all other live productions seem to be designed as "filler" , and are junky. The worst offender is that monstrosity that they play on the castle forecourt stage.

I guess I'm disappointed that Disney fans here would like some of this stuff. Disney should strive for excellence, and fans should insist on it.

Anyway, flame away....

It is my understanding that a lot of the shows actors are students. These jobs are their first acting experiences. If that is true, than I hope they continue them. I think it is a great step for who want to act, get the experience of standing on stage performing.

As far as this show staying. I don't really know. If they could add a new better attraction there I am all for it.

DLP Fan

I hope Tarzan Rocks does stay. I really like that show. It's different from all the others at Walt Disney World. It doesn't try to cram the 90min movie into a 20min show; it's just a showcase of the great music from the movie in a concert style atmosphere, with a few stunts and characters thrown in! Would be a shame to see it go. I had thought before Brother Bear was released that the might try and do a show of that but the music was nowhere near as good as Tarzan.

Really hope the theatre doesn't lie empty like the one in Tomorrow Land. Would just be a waste. Someone mentioned a Mulan show because of the Asia thing. There used to be a Mulan show in Disneyland Paris which was excellent. Something like that would be good.

Oh, and I remember seeing The Jungle Book show on my first visit to DAK. Was really disappointed with the show and the park, The Jungle Book is one of my favourite Disney movies and the show was really bad. Really like DAK now with the changes that have been made since it opened. I just think losing Tarzan would be a step back, especially with the Pocahontas show which is still there!

TTATraveler

speck76 said:
In addition to my previous comments....I think 1 major problem that WDW has with the current roster of shows is that they have been around too long.

Voyage of the Little Mermaid has been around for 13 years, Beauty and the Beast.....11 years.........

Even though these shows are still popular, they are not as popular as they once were, and I think they are more popular by circumstance....that is.....there is nothing else to do, so, people go to the show.

Shows should be changed out on a regular basis. It is a lot cheaper to create a new show than to build a new ride, I would think WDC would be all over bringing new shows to the parks.

One problem that I have with DAK is that the park does not have a great amount of attractions......it needs an additional show, not a replacement show.

I completely agree, AK should be added to and not have things taken away. I would like to see the theater enclosed, like what was done with FOTLK. Enclosing the theater would allow for the addition of air conditioning and cut back on some of the complaints of the loud music being heard outside the theater. AK is a very hot park, and while I like Tarzan Rocks, sitting on benches in the hot humid weather makes it difficult to enjoy the show.

Jusjuice

I've never been a fan of Tarzan Rocks! It always tried WAY too hard to be "hip" and "edgy" and just came out cheesy. I'll never forget the trip we had the same host at WWTBAM who was the lead singer in Tarzan Rocks later that week!

I would imagine this would have something to do with the opening of Everest. I can see them preparing a new show to open at the same time as Everest. I hate to have another Character-based show, as we always see in the US parks lately. A show like Tokyo DisneySea's Mystic Rythms would be neat, although I had no idea what it was about after I saw it! I just hate to have another show with the Cirque du Sole-style people swinging on ropes. Something combining different musical styles and animal folk tales from around the world would be a good fit for Dinoland, as it would'nt be as specific of a theme. I think a Bollywood-style Jungle Book show would be awesome!!

NitroStitch

Nooooooo!

wannabeBelle said:
I agree with you Tyler!!! I think the show is amazing. I dig the Rock concert concept and hey if it is too loud you are too old!!!! There is nothing about the show that I dont like, from the music, to the aerial stunting, to the singing, tto the dancing. I just enjoy it all and have it on video once or twice. Adn to close a show I REALLY enjoy and to leave an area like that dark??? That is a travesty!!!!! Belle

You said it, Belle! All of the performers are wonderful (with the occasional vocal exception), and I especially enjoy the guitarist and bass player that really play with passion. Tarzan Rocks is a must see for me every visit to AK. If they are going to close the show, I hope we at least get some warning, so I can go and say (cry) goodbye. :cry: :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

CaptainMichael

speck76 said:

Yeah, they haven't been replaced because the existing shows are based on the best films that Disney has made in the past 15 years. The rest of the films have been duds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom