Tarzan Rocks to close?

Jekyll Baker

I just recently saw Tarzan Rocks for the first time a couple weeks ago (though I've heard it many times :p) IMO - overrated. The music is way too loud, even though I love the soundtrack from the movie. And why name the show after Tarzan if you only see the title character for probably less than 10% of the show's time? So if it goes and is replaced with something different (I won't say better, because it's all a matter of personal tastes), I'd give it a chance.

PKD

As of now, according to Ent staff, the show will close and the theatre will remain dark until further notice. They have no plans for opening a new show at this time.
THey also jsut fired about 40 MK street performers, talk about downsizing.

Legacy

convrsboy said:
As of now, according to Ent staff, the show will close and the theatre will remain dark until further notice. They have no plans for opening a new show at this time.
As much as I like the show, I don't have a problem with it closing. However, I DO have a problem with leaving it dark. Especially considering the size of the venue and the potential it has.

:brick:

Frickin' Disney.

xfkirsten

Jekyll Baker said:
And why name the show after Tarzan if you only see the title character for probably less than 10% of the show's time?

I saw it more along the lines of naming it after the movie, since it's centered around the music from the film, not calling it that because the character was in it. :)

TTATraveler

convrsboy said:

If this is true, then I have a major problem with this. AK can't afford to loose attraction, whether it be E-ticket or not. Like I have said in other forums, I have no problem with attractions changing, so long as they are not downgraded (ex. AE to SGE, JII to JIYI). I have a big problem with attractions closing and sitting empty. The Tarzan stage is very large and has potential for a great show. To let it sit empty is a big slap in the face to the performers and to paying guests.

speck76

I like the Tarzan ROCKS! show.......I like the fact they tried something different, instead of the same-old type of shows they have been showing for years.

I also enjoy FotLK for the same reason.....it is something different.

I would no be heartbroken if Tarzan ROCKS! closes......as long as it is replaced with something, and as long as the new show is not more of the same old stuff done in the same old style like we have seen before.

I did never understand the placement of the theater, except that it too is sponsored by McDonald's....like all of Dinoland.

Kevin

I saw the original show "Journey Into the Jungle Book" a couple times and, although I don't remember it real well, I remember liking it. And, I do really enjoy Tarzan. It's the only stage show left on property with live music and is something different from all the others. Plus, even as long as it's been running, they've always been lucky with having a talented cast. It's been mostly the same cast for years. But, I can see that some people, especially those who have a set thought in their head of a Disney stage show, might not like it since it is different.

I'm always OK with trying something new, as long as they spend a similar or greater budget on the new production but I would be extremely disappointed if they cut the show and didn't replace it. Disney property already has shrunk staged entertainment to an embarrassingly low level. WDW is quickly becoming the park with the least entertainment, even when compared to all the other Disney properties which only have 2 parks.

This must be false. Not only would it strip an attraction from the AK (which is short on attractions) but it would strip one of the few big entertainment shows left on property.

speck76

Kevin said:
It's the only stage show left on property with live music and is something different from all the others. .

Which is a shame.........Seening Tarzan ROCKS! and Mickey's Night before Christmas with the live music was so nice.....it is so much better than the piped in music of the other shows.

More live music is needed on property!

Whatever happen to FutureCorps :(

dxwwf3

I'm not a fan of Tarzan Rocks and that's putting it nicely. It's just not my thing. I usually go do something else while the rest of the family goes and watches it. But I would hate to see it close and not get any good replacement. I know alot of people like Tarzan Rocks because of the music (My mom is one of them) and I would feel bad for fans of TR if it gets replaced with nothing or something sub par. That trend is happened a few times in other parks lately ( ;) ) and I am a big believer in that every park should have something for everyone. Everest will be for the teens and young adults mainly (Of course alot of others also enjoy), so there should at least be something nearby that's aimed for an older crowd (i.e. Tarzan Rocks).

Basically, if they change it then make it something that is at least up to the level of that show, or don't change it at all.

mandib

I've seen it twice, one too many times as far as I'm concerned. I just hope it doesn't stay dark. The Jungle Book show looked cute. I didn't get to AK until 2000 so I missed it. Oh well. Just pray it's nothing like Pocahantas, wow that show needs help. :)

he-guy

nor'easter said:
God, how can anyone like this show? It's noise pollution, totally unsuitable for the area. Could suit a Six Flags park, but doesn't belong at Disney (except for the character tie-in).

By the way, it is not the first show to play that theatre...the Jungle Book show opened when AK debuted. It wasn't good either, but better than this junk. I'll be very happy to see it go.

Now, if they would only do something about that smelly and noisy Grand Prix raceway... :)

Welcome to the boards.. ...I guess. While the show is louder than most, there are plenty of reasons for people to enjoy this show enough to watch it again. The word "ROCKS" being in the name kind of gives it away as being a loud style of show, and it is fairly unique when compared any other shows on property. While FotLK is supposedly the highest rated, some people actually prefer Tarzan over it. As for being unsuitable for the area, when DAK was first opening (and shrinking down from original plans for that matter) a lot of things got placed where they don't make the most sense. Why is FotLK located where it is? There's only so much you could put in the park that deals with Dinsosaurs, most would agree that Dinoland has expanded too much already.

goofyfan13

convrsboy said:

They better not just close it and leave it dark. I just don't see the logic in taking an attraction out of a park that still needs many more to pull in the crowds. I really enjoy AK, but the average guest just doesn't have the attention span to go walk around and enjoy the beauty of it, and take a look at the trails and exhibits. Removing Tarzan and not replacing it soon would be a huge mistake IMO.

CaptainMichael

Perhaps they will prepare the area for a new attraction such as a dark ride. I am sure there is a reason for the closure because as many have said, Animal Kingdom cannot afford to close an attraction and just let is sit. Let's wait and see how it plays out.

Pioneer Hall

It isn't too bad, but I wouldn't mind seeing a real acting kind of show there. We have a show that shows off acrobatics and singing, we can use a theater style show too. The Jungle Book was a good start, now lets get something good.

futurepres

Many of the shows are termed for 5-year durations. After the time period a new show/attraction will evolve. This is the case with a majority of the shows, check WDW's history records for consistency.

When I used to work there years back, I did some of the production (among everything else, just about)...we were all told a five year run...that was Nov 2000....five years later, 2005 sounds about right!

CTXRover

Perhaps the closure at that time is not only to perhaps install a new show, but could it also be part of a redesign of the theater's entrance? Right now, when they are queuing up for a show, the walkway around the theater comes semi-congested. Add on the fact that this walkway will probably see higher traffic with the opening of Everest, perhaps the show will be closing in October to widen that pathway/rearrage the queueing/entrance area for the show?

Tarzan Rocks! is pretty good in the world of theme park entertainment. Its not your traditional recap show of the movie which I found refreshing...as is the FOTL show. I would be happy though to see a new one, unlike the FOTL show, once or twice is enough for a while....However, I certainly don't want them to think that opening Everest would somehow warrant closing a show...that is certainly NOT what DAK needs.

(As an aside, I saw the Jungle Book show that was in that theater originally during AK guest previews....imo, it was the worst live show Disney had ever done and I was thrilled it had a short lifespan, granted it was a preview version, but we wanted to leave half way through but kept telling ourselves that it would get better..unfortunately it didn't)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom