News Target coming to Walt Disney World and Disney Store shop-in-shop coming to Target stores

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
No No NO! There's SO much misinformation in this topic here.

Let's start with the first discussion point - and that's the future of the Disney Stores. No - Disney stores have not been closing down all over the place and no, they are not going anywhere anytime soon. The last time a massive closure of the Disney stores occurred was right after Disney repurchased it back from the Children's Place. At that point, they did a an evaluation of the store property list and divested the ones that were bleeding money.

After that point, from 2008-2012 they slowly closed others that didn't seem to be showing signs of improvement. Most of this was due to malls that were losing their luster (i.e. what was once an "A" mall was quickly becoming a dying "C" tier mall) . From 2012 on, however, The Disney Stores started their campaign to upgrade their stores to the "Imagination Park" model that was being used over in Europe. In addition, they were opening up new locations using this model in new malls and higher end malls that had previously lost a Disney Store due to a Children's Place closure. Through this process, they found the "ideal" amount of stores where they could be profitable was somewhere in the 200 store count mark (which is where they currently are today). They're still following that strategy (even opening up a few of the new store concepts that employ an all white interior). The stores you see that are closing are ones that are the old models. If these old models aren't making enough money to justify an investment to remodel, then they are slowly closing them down once their leases are up. More often than not, they're closing models that were open during the Children's Place years due to the cost of maintenance associated with the fixtures (they were built more cheaply, and therefore fall apart more quickly than some of the older stores from the 90's and early 2000's that were constructed when Disney first owned the stores. You can recognize these "children place" stores as they are either in a Mickey theme, a Castle theme, or a "pixie dust" theme). In most cases, the closures are not because they losing money...it's just that they aren't making enough to justify keeping them on.

As for the Target deal with the Disney Store - this is a relationship that has been a long time coming. It started when Target started buying Tsum Tsums' directly from the Disney Store awhile ago. This was a unique wholesale deal between target and the Disney store which had never been done at that point (all of Target's Disney merchandise was usually purchased through the licensed third party manufacturers) . At the same time this was happening, The Disney Stores had the JCPenney Disney Store's going on as well. This set up was identical to what the new Target Disney Store's are going to be, and were strategically placed in JC Penney stores where that mall did not have a Disney store presence. JCPenney would order the merchandise from Disney directly, sales and management of the space was done by JCPenney, with Disney's oversight to ensure branding was on point. Target's deal will be identical. Purchasing will be done by Target's buyers, but most of the product will be ordered through Disney directly. As this is not a "concession" type store (i.e. a store within a store that's managed by the brand directly) , no cast members will be in the Target stores and all sales will be done through Target's point-of-sale system (meaning Target discounts will most likely apply). These Disney Store Targets will be strategically located in areas' not served by a Disney Store...so don't expect it in the Target at a mall that also has a Disney Store.

Hopefully that clears some of the misinformation up on this deal.
Thanks, Bob.

Mickeyboof

LSLS

Why all the hatred about having a Target? There is almost nowhere within WDW property that you can buy something useful. Target fills that need.

And not everyone drives to Target, so the nearby Target outside the gates is no man's land for a lot of people.

Target also has a history of catering their stores to the populations they serve. Some stores build more-or-less the same cookie cutter store everywhere. But Target has multi-level stores in downtown areas, compact urban stores in medium density areas, Super Targets and regular Targets for car-dependent suburbs, etc. I have a feeling that a Target will be designed that caters to the WDW audience in both looks and items offered.

The hatred I think starts with the venue they announced this at. People had high hopes for all they might be adding to the parks, and the second thing they announce is Target to WDW (outside another Cirque show). Before they touched on anything for the parks or resorts, they felt the need to discuss products. Had they announced this at a press conference I'm not sure it takes the bashing it has.

Kman101

Agree it probably is a smart business move.

But I don’t like it.

Visiting a Disney Store used to be a special experience. Great theming, atmosphere, and unique merchandise. They have become more and more generic in every sense, and this furthers that trend. I love Target for what it is, but would rather have Disney Stores less accessible and more....”magical”

Eh. Some Disney stores were great. Others aren't. I'm mixed on the design but I don't look at it through the lens of "ew I hate the stores design" so I don't like this news.

I still think it's a good idea and Chapek is actually doing his job (the man belongs in merchandising, not running the parks). Some of you, not saying you, need to put the jaded bitterness aside and recognize it's a good move. Trust me, I loathe the man, but I think this was smart. Of course, time will tell. I get why folks are seeing this as easy fodder to make fun of. But I think some of you get lost in hating everything and refuse to even give credit where credit is due.

Now, if a bunch more Disney Stores start closing ... hmmm.

And to be fair, it's not as if it benefits me any. I have no Disney Store nearby. I need to drive an hour and half to the Florida Mall. Target is half an hour south of me or half an hour north of me. None of them are getting Disney stores. (But ... I usually just hit the outlets ...)

I still think it's a smart idea. But again, time will tell.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Wrong! People shop at target because they don't want to shop at Walmart with the peasants. The people who go to Target are willing to pay extra to not have the Walmart experience. It's kind of like people who pay for Extra Magic Hours and Disney After Hours, etc.

Or they simply want a better retail experience.... where the storm doesn’t look like a tornado just hit... or you don’t see rodents crossing the aisles.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You have to wonder how it works if there's a mall with an Anchor Target but a Disney store in the mall and they decide to throw the mini store within it...Doubtful it would happen but, one mall close by me does in fact have both..

It’s alsready been started this is targeted at areas without an existing Disney store

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why all the hatred about having a Target? There is almost nowhere within WDW property that you can buy something useful. Target fills that need.

Because I’d rather Disney improve its service at its hotels rather than tell me I can on a 2.5hr bus trip to target if I need that...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Really? No kitchen accessories or jewelry? Mostly jewelry? No Jewelry? :(

Maybe some? Don’t think so... it’s not like they have a jewelry counter. Certainly no household items etc... this is not the world of Disney store. They don’t even carry adult clothing lines etc.

The Warner bros stores that predated all these were much more like that... adult focused... but that concept died. I had high hopes after Disney took them back and launched new designs... but it’s still all cheap toddler toys.

KBLovedDisney

Maybe some? Don’t think so... it’s not like they have a jewelry counter. Certainly no household items etc... this is not the world of Disney store. They don’t even carry adult clothing lines etc.

The Warner bros stores that predated all these were much more like that... adult focused... but that concept died. I had high hopes after Disney took them back and launched new designs... but it’s still all cheap toddler toys.
Dang.

gustaftp

Because I’d rather Disney improve its service at its hotels rather than tell me I can on a 2.5hr bus trip to target if I need that...

I wouldn't expect a hotel to sell me a specific type of diapers or Scotch tape or a loaf of bread or basic sneakers or a phone or fill a prescription. Sometimes people need something more than the small selection of sundries that are sold at the hotels. Disney Springs is an upscale shopping mall, not the type of place where I could get what I need if I'm in a bind. There are also gas stations on Disney property; it doesn't ruin the illusion that I am some place special.

I would even imagine that a Target store on property would have the ability to deliver items directly to people's hotel which would also eliminate taking a bus to the store (and I highly doubt a bus ride to Target would be 2.5 hours!).

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Can’t wait to buy me a brand new barbecue at the new Target at WDW!

For years I've been thinking of buying a Weber and selling burgers and brats from my one bedroom's patio. Now its super convenient. I think in half a day I could offset the vacation costs. Need to figure out surreptitious advertising. Maybe have the kids eat cheeseburgers in the long VWL hallway whilst commenting that the are available in room 1429 for only $8.99....I figure any paper advertising Disney would be all over. The kids would also read a few scripted lines like, "this cheeseburger is a truly transcendental experience for only half the price of a Disney cheeseburger" or "my years of veganism have been corrupted due to this bratwurst, but, its totally worth it". Nothing too over the top. (Note to self: remind kids not to make bratwurst comments while eating cheeseburger)

Last edited:

tribbleorlfl

I would even imagine that a Target store on property would have the ability to deliver items directly to people's hotel which would also eliminate taking a bus to the store (and I highly doubt a bus ride to Target would be 2.5 hours!).
That actually brings up a good point I've been wondering about since the announcement: will Disney provide busing to this Target, or allow Target to provide a shuttle?

VJ

It IS a smart move and a good move on both parts. People who don't live near the parks still want park merch, and this is a great way to not only bring focus on what is already in the stores, but for those of us who live a long ways away (like me in Missouri) they'll feel that there is a place they can feel like they are near the parks and shop with them. And very likely be a better way for them to make merch sales than some of the Disney stores do (for example, the one near us in Branson is terrible on anything but over priced cheap toys and costumes)
Disney Store used to be that "Disney-away-from-Disney". Now it's Target-away-from-Disney. And if you think that the Target mini-stores will be selling anything more than overpriced cheap toys and costumes, I frankly envy your naiveté.

JohnD

This explains the stale "gift shop" at the exit of TSMM. Slap a Target logo on it and it will look like every Target in the country.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom