News Target coming to Walt Disney World and Disney Store shop-in-shop coming to Target stores

ToTBellHop

I guessed i missed WHERE the Target was going....but there is one like 5 minutes from AKL already out there on 192. Super easy to get to..
Sure but if this replaced Brazil at Epcot, that’s convenience that can’t be beat! Can’t wait for the Cartwheel-exclusive Test Track Fastpass with a $400 purchase.

Seriously, I hope this has a CVS.

MrPromey

Wrong! People shop at target because they don't want to shop at Walmart with the peasants. The people who go to Target are willing to pay extra to not have the Walmart experience. It's kind of like people who pay for Extra Magic Hours and Disney After Hours, etc.

That's so cute.

Serious question: Do you like to call it Target or do you go all fancy while driving past the "peasants" pulling into the local Walmart and say you're on you way to Tarjay? (okay, not serious) :hilarious:

For-real serious: The fact that you believe you're so much above the people who shop at Walmart just because you go to Target and are willing to show so much open disdain in doing so, apparently with no self-awareness of how silly you look, just proves they're branding efforts are effective on you as a customer - congratulations!

Yes, "people of Walmart" is a thing and yes, you'll find plenty of people similar to that in a lot of Walmarts but you find a lot of "normal" people, too. You'll also find a lot of people who also shop at Target roaming the Walmart isles for the kind of stuff Target doesn't carry since their breadth of merchandise is wider.

Sorry for teasing you but I had to laugh at your seeming visceral response, there.

I get you are team Target with your spiffy Target avatar to show your support for this (maybe you actually are team-target - like a red shirt - which would more explain this) but no, Target is nothing like "Extra Magic Hours or Disney After Hours, etc." especially when prices on the same or like items is often about the same or sometimes cheaper than Walmart.*

You know that Red Card some people have mentioned on this thread with it's spiffy discount? You know one of the reasons Target does that? (in addition to creating customer-loyalty the way any store card does and making it easier for them to build a customer profile on you?) It's also because it allowes them to frequently offer discounts to their most regular customers that BEAT Walmart's prices without having to worry about Walmart automatically lowering their price (which they will otherwise do in the same markets) to match since it's not the retail price.

That's not even an original or exotic or hidden tactic on Target's part.

How about this? Let Target charge you $3-$4 more for the exact same tube of toothpaste and the rest of their staple sundry items and then we'll see how above the Walmart crowd you really are.

I'll tell you, that's a risk Target's not willing to take with 90% of their customers.

By and large, Target has a perception of being for a higher class of customer but don't fool yourself - they're the #2 big-box discount retailer in the US directly behind Walmart and they have adapted to that strategy of trying to appeal to people who think they're too good for** don't like Walmart only over the last few decades as the two companies who prior to expansion didn't always directly compete in the same markets, began to step on each other.

Thanks to Walmart's heavy-handed tactics with suppliers and no end to their willingness to cut costs in stores to keep higher margins while lowering prices, it became obvious to Target's management who would win that race to the bottom so their strategy shifted to people who still couldn't or wouldn't be willing to pay (much if anything) more for the exact same merchandise but didn't like Walmart and it has worked, beautifully.

If they wanted to be on the nose about this they'd just advertise themselves at "Target - we're not Walmart!".

They've used this tactic to differentiate with certain aspects of retail (particularly in clothing which is still low-end retail but with better brand names that they charge a bit more for) and with savvy packaging of their own "house" brands that make their price-conscious customers feel less ashamed of buying generic baby wipes or spaghetti noodles, there.

Market Pantry and Archer Farms (for example) get to be chic because they're not Great Value, don't ya know?

Yeah, you'll typically pay a little more for Target's version of generic than Walmart's.

The good news for Target shoppers is even though they think they're paying more to avoid the "Walmart experience" they often aren't (especially if they use their Red Card and let Target data-mine them) just like a certain selection of people who default to Walmart just because they think they're saving more often aren't (when buying the same name-brand products).

You want to actually pay more for your shopping experience in central Florida when you're buying bottled water or Cheeze-its, you go to Publix. Publix isn't high-end, they're just not discount (despite sale prices and weekly "deals") so you'll pay more, there.

You want to see a really dirty, dated, and depressing shopping experience, find a K-Mart that's still open and go inside. I'm convinced the only people keeping these stores in business are the ones who live too far for walking or biking to Walmart or Target and don't have a car.

*That red card discount and things like buy-3-get-a-$5-gift-card are ways they compete on price to try to foil Walmart's "Always Low Prices, Always" strategy.

**Edited because the original was a bit harsh.... Plus I shop at Target and Walmart, as needed. Admittedly, like others, I prefer Target so I'm not above admitting a bit of pot-calling-the-kettle-black, there... Um yeah. :facepalm:

Last edited:

KBLovedDisney

My first reaction was:
giphy.gif

But the more I thought about possibly getting a "Disney Store" close to home:
ZnOPej4.gif

Cmdr_Crimson

You have to wonder how it works if there's a mall with an Anchor Target but a Disney store in the mall and they decide to throw the mini store within it...Doubtful it would happen but, one mall close by me does in fact have both..

seascape

You have to wonder how it works if there's a mall with an Anchor Target but a Disney store in the mall and they decide to throw the mini store within it...Doubtful it would happen but, one mall close by me does in fact have both..
JCPenny had a Disney Store within a store and also had a Disney Store in Monmouth Mall for years. Besides Target Stores are not in malls.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm in the UK so this announcement doesn't really affect me, but it does make total financial sense. For WDW, flamingo crossing does make the most sense but is that area even getting built? I've been hearing about that area for YEARs including the new College/ Internal program cast members.

Yes, it is being built. There are two hotel already open with more on the way. They have also started building CM housing there. Disney announced earlier this year that the retail and restaurant development would also start soon.

seascape

I admit I am wrong. I live in the northeast and have a condo in Southwest Florida. I have never seen a Target in a mall and even the WSJ stories I have read talk about Target mot being dependent on the malls and their problems.

MrPromey

I admit I am wrong. I live in the northeast and have a condo in Southwest Florida. I have never seen a Target in a mall and even the WSJ stories I have read talk about Target mot being dependent on the malls and their problems.

Where malls have been torn down in this part of Florida and replaced with something they call outdoor malls but which look suspiciously like large shopping centers, Targets appear to frequently be "anchor" stores. Many (but not all) are free-standing on the land but it still appears to be a lower-key version of the mall arrangement, just with a Petsmart, or Michael's, or Lowes more likely to be one of the other larger neighboring stores rather than a Macy's or Neiman Marcus.

gustaftp

Why all the hatred about having a Target? There is almost nowhere within WDW property that you can buy something useful. Target fills that need.

And not everyone drives to Target, so the nearby Target outside the gates is no man's land for a lot of people.

Target also has a history of catering their stores to the populations they serve. Some stores build more-or-less the same cookie cutter store everywhere. But Target has multi-level stores in downtown areas, compact urban stores in medium density areas, Super Targets and regular Targets for car-dependent suburbs, etc. I have a feeling that a Target will be designed that caters to the WDW audience in both looks and items offered.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom