News Target coming to Walt Disney World and Disney Store shop-in-shop coming to Target stores

Stitchon

So, the standalone Disney Store brand will be extinct in, what, three years?

I don't know. Disney has had the JCPenney shop-in-shops for several years now, and they weren't the end of the standalone stores. However, considering the recent closures and the standstill on rolling out the latest prototype (plus how small the stores chain is in the scheme of things) I've been wondering if Disney could cut the chain loose once and for all.

Stripes

It's amazing how that concept art makes such a pathetic display look decent. It's literally a bunch of standard retail merch cases with some cardboard Disney characters. Good luck keeping the merch straight too. Kid/toy departments are notoriously difficult to keep recovered in big box stores that are unwilling keep adequate staff on the sales floor. 5 seconds after you get everything perfect, some brat kid comes along like a tornado, and oh your supervisor needs you to run some go backs. Gotta go! 🙃

Last edited:

Hotamber

The Orlando Target stores close to Disney already have special Disney sections but it is Florida themed overpriced giftshop stuff. I wonder if these will go in the former DVD and Blu Ray sections as that is usually close to the toy section. Target seems to be greatly downsizing their physical media section. Spiderman will most likely be split between Disney and the regular toy section for the Into the Spiderverse stuff. I want the WDW Target in the Epcot parking lot the center of WDW.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Nope and I don’t think they will build it there. What was actually said is target plans on opening a new store near Walt Disney world. They already have a store on 192 right next to 429.

My guess is the new store is going into Vineland point off of Daryl Carter Parkway which is basically the commercial replacement for the crossroads that’s closing down.

There is also a large one at 535 and 192.

Hotamber

It would make sense to have one on WDW property just for the needs of their own hotels and to keep people on property. My guess is Flamingo Crossings as they want stores near the new college program housing and it will save Disney money on bussing CPs to outside stores as they currently do

MrPromey

Yay, a Disney Store in Target! A Target at Walt Disney World! :rolleyes:

I wonder if all of those Disney fans that purchase discounted Purex detergent at Target, for $2.88, are excited about spending $7,000+ for two nights at the Star Wars hotel.

Yeah, this is the part that has me puzzled.

The Disney part in Target makes perfect sense. As an overall brand, Disney isn't aspirational so I can see that but they've been working hard for a long time to price out as much of the middle-class as possible at WDW.

Target, while a step up from Walmart, does not seem to align as a brand with the audience they've been courting in recent years for on-property guests.

markc

]
Target, while a step up from Walmart, does not seem to align as a brand with the audience they've been courting in recent years for on-property guests.

Of course it aligns! What demographic are you referring to? Disney Parks has been primarily focusing on the middle to upper middle class guest with disposable income for the past few years now. Sure - they've been offering select experiences targeting a more upper class segment as well, but the lions share of their focus has been the upper half of the middle class segment. Target is THE store where that demographic shops the most. Taking it a step further, it's also the store where the celebrities do most of their necessity shopping. Beyonce, Britney, Michelle Obama, etc.. have all been photographed shopping there. No - it's not ultra high end, but when you're shopping for the basics, there isn't a high end alternative store that has what Target has.

MrPromey

Of course it aligns! What demographic are you referring to? Disney Parks has been primarily focusing on the middle to upper middle class guest with disposable income for the past few years now. Sure - they've been offering select experiences targeting a more upper class segment as well, but the lions share of their focus has been the upper half of the middle class segment. Target is THE store where that demographic shops the most. Taking it a step further, it's also the store where the celebrities do most of their necessity shopping. Beyonce, Britney, Michelle Obama, etc.. have all been photographed shopping there. No - it's not ultra high end, but when you're shopping for the basics, there isn't a high end alternative store that has what Target has.

I get what you're saying but honestly, I think they've been working at nipping away all but the very top tier of the middle-class. Really, I think they just want enough of that to ensure they have the needed turnstile clicks when they can't get enough of the segment they're really after.

I mean, I know they know many DVC members do everything they can to save a buck since one of the selling points is the value proposition (not meant as an attack on DVC members - I think a lot of them are trying to be smart with their money) and that they go everywhere to get stuff for those kitchens and such but it always felt like they tried to pretend that wasn't happening.

This is all just my opinion, of course but Target, as nice as it is, is still a discount big-box retailer that, as much as they try to hide it with branding, is the direct competitor of Walmart, in this sense.

Kind of like how Kohls is a discount retailer pretending to be a higher-end department store that just so happens to have never ending sales and special offers to bring their prices down.*

Again, stronger presence of Disney in Target, Target not too far from Disney that's super-easy to get to, I get but a Target going into an area of Disney property branded as Disney property (if that's what this is) still surprises me.

A Whole Foods Market (even post Amazon) would not have shocked me nor wold any variety of other specialty retailers that are known for charging a premium and supporting a certain brand lifestyle that together, would collectively have provided what Target offers but a big box discount retailer on property just seems odd to me.

If they don't have oddly inflated prices to reflect the premium that is the Pure Disney Magic Soil™ it's built on, I'm happy to shop there myself when the need arises - always nice to pick up sunscreen at a reasonable price when we forget to bring our own instead of the insanity of Disney pricing - but frankly, I feel like I'm part of the audience they're slowly trying to replace in WDW so this surprises me.

*Not to dis (no pun intended) Kohls - shop there plenty.

Indy_UK

I'm in the UK so this announcement doesn't really affect me, but it does make total financial sense. For WDW, flamingo crossing does make the most sense but is that area even getting built? I've been hearing about that area for YEARs including the new College/ Internal program cast members.

Don't be surprised that over the next 10 years that Disney stores start to phase out to this shop in shop format. It will save so much money on rent

Bocabear

Wrong! People shop at target because they don't want to shop at Walmart with the peasants. The people who go to Target are willing to pay extra to not have the Walmart experience. It's kind of like people who pay for Extra Magic Hours and Disney After Hours, etc.
It's not about the peasants...It's about quality and style of merchandise ...Most Wal-Marts I have been to around the country are also very dirty... Not all, but a lot I have been to.
I would rather shop in a clean tidy store with a nicer quality of merchandise quite frankly...
And honestly...Target is also a discount store like Wal-Mart... Let's be honest about that... It is just a lot nicer.

Epcot82Guy

It's not about the peasants...It's about quality and style of merchandise ...Most Wal-Marts I have been to around the country are also very dirty... Not all, but a lot I have been to.
I would rather shop in a clean tidy store with a nicer quality of merchandise quite frankly...
And honestly...Target is also a discount store like Wal-Mart... Let's be honest about that... It is just a lot nicer.

Agreed. And with a much more functional app. Not that Walmart doesn't have it's place. But, it's a very different shopping experience (at least here in Atlanta).

Nottamus

I guessed i missed WHERE the Target was going....but there is one like 5 minutes from AKL already out there on 192. Super easy to get to..

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom