Tangled bathrooms

djkidkaz

The best part of this is that they now have a section out of the way to put all those darn strollers instead of in front of Small World!

Rob562

The best part of this is that they now have a section out of the way to put all those darn strollers instead of in front of Small World!

I was just about to mention that. I noticed yesterday that they'd pushed the walls back to form a little "courtyard" between the new bathrooms and the Small World building for strollers (an obvious necessity for Thanksgiving Week). It wasn't like that earlier this week.

-Rob

pipenut

I hope there is more visual coverage by the time construction ends because you can see the tips of HM while passing in front of IASM.

A part of me wishes they could have re-worked the old Skyway clock tower and make it a "tangled" themed tower. I'm already sad to know the beautifully themed area that was one of my fav childhood attractions (i.e. Skyway) is being converted to toilets.

Sure call me one of those "anti-change" nostalgic whiners, but toilets?

msteel

A part of me wishes they could have re-worked the old Skyway clock tower and make it a "tangled" themed tower

I remember pictures of the demolition and it seems like the tower was the last thing to be torn down. It almost seemed to me that they wanted to save it. Maybe they ran into a problem that they couldn't overcome.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I remember pictures of the demolition and it seems like the tower was the last thing to be torn down. It almost seemed to me that they wanted to save it. Maybe they ran into a problem that they couldn't overcome.

I don't think there were ever any plans to keep the clock tower. It's not shown on the original plans that have been floating around since early 2011, and it wasn't really the right shape to be re-worked into Rapunzels tower. I think the reason it was last to be demolished was it's close proximaty to Small World and guest areas. It probably had to be taken down very carefully.

WDWYankee15

I hope there is more visual coverage by the time construction ends because you can see the tips of HM while passing in front of IASM.

A part of me wishes they could have re-worked the old Skyway clock tower and make it a "tangled" themed tower. I'm already sad to know the beautifully themed area that was one of my fav childhood attractions (i.e. Skyway) is being converted to toilets.

You will not be able to see the HM when all is complete. The sightlines will be take care of. During construction often things aren't perfect, but when it is done rest assured they will take care of this.

This area will be beautiful. While it stinks to lose pieces of our childhood, that area was not being utilized and was allowed to rot, sadly, for years. I think this will be a nice addition and a well needed sprucing up of that area. Not to mention the traffic flow problem that this will help eleviate. This is the number one priority of theis project.

hiptwinmama

I hear you on the "anti-change" thing. I don't think I'll ever get over the changing of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

wiigirl

Very very good point.
75.gif

Adam5897

That's exactly how I feel when it comes to Snow White they got rid of it for a meet and greet its like let's replace the best stuff for the less important things.

Patricia Melton

Does anyone know when the stroller situation got so out of hand?

My son is 37 and my daughter is 38, so it's been a LONG time since I pushed a stroller. When we took our kids to WDW I don't remember there being such a stroller problem. The first trip we took the kids was when my daughter was 5 and my son was 4. They were both too big for strollers then. I do remember seeing SOME strollers here and there, but not walls of them. Looking back at old pictures, I can't pinpoint where the stroller epidemic started but I think around 1995 or so I start seeing big sections of strollers in the background of things. Before that, I don't see all that many strollers.

Do you think it's because parents are keeping the kids in strollers longer? I see kids who look like they are 6 or 7 being wheeled around in strollers. Maybe the kids are just old-looking, but they are too big to be in strollers in my opinion. I also notice that parents today treat the strollers like luggage on wheels and have them stuffed with all kinds of stuff. Not sure if this is really needed in the parks.

I really like how the Dumbo Circus Area addressed the stroller issue. I also like that they are doing something in the Tangled Potties area to address the stroller issue.

The park is SO MUCH more magical if the strollers could be hidden away somewhere.

EOD K9

The stroller epidemic has made its way to DC as well. People try to leave their strollers near all of the major federal buildings and monuments. They also leave their valuables on them as if nothing is going to happen. Its a major dose of reality when they realize this isnt "The World".

NewfieFan

Does anyone know when the stroller situation got so out of hand?

My son is 37 and my daughter is 38, so it's been a LONG time since I pushed a stroller. When we took our kids to WDW I don't remember there being such a stroller problem. The first trip we took the kids was when my daughter was 5 and my son was 4. They were both too big for strollers then. I do remember seeing SOME strollers here and there, but not walls of them. Looking back at old pictures, I can't pinpoint where the stroller epidemic started but I think around 1995 or so I start seeing big sections of strollers in the background of things. Before that, I don't see all that many strollers.

Do you think it's because parents are keeping the kids in strollers longer? I see kids who look like they are 6 or 7 being wheeled around in strollers. Maybe the kids are just old-looking, but they are too big to be in strollers in my opinion. I also notice that parents today treat the strollers like luggage on wheels and have them stuffed with all kinds of stuff. Not sure if this is really needed in the parks.

I really like how the Dumbo Circus Area addressed the stroller issue. I also like that they are doing something in the Tangled Potties area to address the stroller issue.

The park is SO MUCH more magical if the strollers could be hidden away somewhere.

This has been discussed so much but I'll bite anyway...

1) People take longer trips to WDW. When my parents took me back in the 90s we visited the three parks only once. You spent one day at the MK, one day at Epcot, etc. If you had small children it would be much easier to "push" them to walk for a couple of days instead of for a full week (or longer). My kids were pretty much out of strollers around 3 years of age but still used them at WDW. Even with taking midday breaks, naps, and pool time... a week at WDW is a lot of walking for little legs.

2) Strollers are more compact and easier to take on vacation with you. Yes, I know you'll still see double wide strollers that are about as big as a compact car but for the most part a lot of the strollers are small travel strollers and umbrella strollers. Plus, even the big ones fold up quite small and are easier to travel with. Most people didn't have strollers back in the 90s that were compact enough that they wanted to travel with them.

3) Strollers have higher weight limits now, even the small compact strollers can hold children 50lbs. Children may have been forced out of strollers "back in the day" just because they couldn't fit anymore.

My kids were out of the strollers by age 5. I think most kids are ready to tackle the parks by age 5 BUT I don't like to judge other parents. Even at age 5 there were times when my kids were really dragging their feet. Sure you can take breaks and rest but there are times when they just have to walk (at closing time, etc.) One time my son got quite sick at the MK and his sister so sweetly gave up her stroller so her big brother could sit down. I'm sure there would be people on this forum that would have turned up their noses at us if they saw him in the stroller without even knowing the situation that day. I try not to judge when I see "bigger" kids in strollers. I have no idea what is going on with that chld and that family. I am quite content to take my children by the hand and go walking, if a stroller gets in a way I just smile and say excuse me. There's a lot of things that could ruin your vacation... other people's strollers ain't one of them!

bigeternity

This has been discussed so much but I'll bite anyway...

1) People take longer trips to WDW. When my parents took me back in the 90s we visited the three parks only once. You spent one day at the MK, one day at Epcot, etc. If you had small children it would be much easier to "push" them to walk for a couple of days instead of for a full week (or longer). My kids were pretty much out of strollers around 3 years of age but still used them at WDW. Even with taking midday breaks, naps, and pool time... a week at WDW is a lot of walking for little legs.

2) Strollers are more compact and easier to take on vacation with you. Yes, I know you'll still see double wide strollers that are about as big as a compact car but for the most part a lot of the strollers are small travel strollers and umbrella strollers. Plus, even the big ones fold up quite small and are easier to travel with. Most people didn't have strollers back in the 90s that were compact enough that they wanted to travel with them.

3) Strollers have higher weight limits now, even the small compact strollers can hold children 50lbs. Children may have been forced out of strollers "back in the day" just because they couldn't fit anymore.

My kids were out of the strollers by age 5. I think most kids are ready to tackle the parks by age 5 BUT I don't like to judge other parents. Even at age 5 there were times when my kids were really dragging their feet. Sure you can take breaks and rest but there are times when they just have to walk (at closing time, etc.) One time my son got quite sick at the MK and his sister so sweetly gave up her stroller so her big brother could sit down. I'm sure there would be people on this forum that would have turned up their noses at us if they saw him in the stroller without even knowing the situation that day. I try not to judge when I see "bigger" kids in strollers. I have no idea what is going on with that chld and that family. I am quite content to take my children by the hand and go walking, if a stroller gets in a way I just smile and say excuse me. There's a lot of things that could ruin your vacation... other people's strollers ain't one of them!

Well stated with good points!

evilzorac

I keep hearing a reoccurring theme on all of our threads "We were expecting more". I think that is the real rub here. As we all grew up and fell in love with WDW we became used to the fact that Disney blew us away with each new ride, theme, or park. Since WDO has refocused on squeezing every dollar out we are continually disappointed with each new item. Hopefully market forces will force a change in this attitude in the near future.

elchippo

That's exactly how I feel when it comes to Snow White they got rid of it for a meet and greet its like let's replace the best stuff for the less important things.

I just wish they didn't have to close SWSA as early as the did in the 7DMT building process; to me, they should have had ALL of new Fantasyland done first, (at least closed SWSA just early enough to utilize any pieces being recycled for the 7DMT) before worrying about Princess Hall.

WDW1974

Strollers (I love this topic almost as much as refillable mugs!) have become a huge problem and let's be blunt and honest (all you folks that are afraid of coffee might want to change the page in front of you!), it's largely because Americans are fat and lazy. I see triple wide parents pushing double wide strollers filled with 'kids' that look like they need training bras and big bags of either crap they bought or crap they brought.

You just don't see this in say DLP (shout out to Tom Bricker and his lovelier other half who should be there now!). Sure, there are strollers, but they are small and have very young kids in them. And they don't clog the walkways like at WDW. ... You don't think they're a problem? Disney has removed planters, widened walkways and taken merchandise out of shops so the monstrosities can pass.

The first time I went to HKDL on a stifling summer day I was amazed when I'd look at little 'stroller parking' signs and see a couple at most ... because in China when your kid is able to walk, they do. They aren't indulged like they are here. And parents don't make decisions on what's easiest on them, but what's best for the child.

And ECVs? On the verge of our most gluttonous holiday season, do we really even want to discuss that?
You ONLY see a few (like you can count them on one hand, two if it's busy) of them in the international parks because they are only used by those who truly need them -- morbid obesity doesn't count.

Happy Turkey Week all!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom