Tan lines or it didn't happen - a (patchy) Mexican Riviera Cruise aboard the Wonder.

Hey my lovelies!

I have a teaser post for you all – it’s a busy week for me with school (three midterms, yucky). Be aware that I’d so much rather recap the trip instead!

Long story short, WONDERful time on our Mexican Riviera cruise. Despite a pesky flu bug and some windy days, the Wonder suited us perfectly. Lauren and I definitely converted Rachael – she’ll be back. The magic is contagious.

We had some awesome servers (Desmond and Monika) and Glen, our stateroom host, was a total lifesaver – not to mention trooper.. our room looked like a bomb shelter. The cast was UNREAL – performers and character interactions.. including a special surprise on the last day that you definitely want to stay tuned for. Lauren and I almost had to be sedated.

The one let down? I miss Captain Henry!

Just a little taste:

DSC00338.jpg

Adventures away!

DSC00397.jpg

Sun, please.

DSC00442.jpg

Prepare for 1800 pictures from formal night..

DSC00500.jpg

Souffle.

DSC00513.jpg

ARRR.

IMG_5917.jpg

Do you want a Mexican boyfriend? Bodyguard?

DSC00595.jpg

So much love for this background.

DSC00631.jpg

The finale you’ll never believe!

Keep an eye out early next week!

Nicole220

You were in the same state as me and didn't even say hi. Hmpf. :(

Haven't ventured over here in quite a bit. Feels weird to be back. But as usual, your TRs are top notch!

PartOfYourWorld

You ladies look AMAZING in your dresses!

And the dessert? So yummy!!!

How was the flight to LAX? Must have been a super long one! I've never flown that far so Im being curious :)

More NOW please :)

fractal

Looks like you had a blast! I'm glad to see you properly converting a friend.:)

I'm going to need to book a cruise one of these days.

looking forward to more...

tiaragirl

Original Poster
OK you have me sold. Darn it I really want to go.

I got to say you guys are adorable and look like you had so much fun. Loving the trip report.

And that wallpaper, the damask one. I need to borrow it for my sisters wedding....

I commend you for getting up at 2 AM. Yes I do....

Can't wait for the rest.

DO IT! I can't stress how awesome a time a Disney cruise is!

That damask wallpaper/backdrop was our favourite - they had it up for formal and semi-formal nights.. and we had a lot of fun with it on semi-formal night! There are more pictures coming up in day 2 with it - it's the perfect background.

Great TR so far! I guess I probably should continue working on mine :eek:

It's so easy to get distracted writing them - there's so many on here that I want to read that went up while I was away!

YAAY YAAY YAAY YOU STARTED WRITING YOUR TR! :sohappy:
This trip sounds fabulous so far (hopefully that flu bug was nothing serious.... :veryconfu)
I loved the conversation between you and your dad about the "hats" that you guys would be wearing haha! I also find La's picture on top of all of her stuff very funny, you guys pack just like I do! :animwink: That white chocolate raspberry dessert looks very good :slurp: That was also very thoughtful of your head server to make sure you guys were comfortable with your seating arrangement (I swear Disney is ALWAYS there for ya!) That's crazy how far spread out that family is!
Did you guys have just a porthole room (I think that's how you explain it? Haha!)
I love all of your guy's outfits you all are so cute! Can't wait to read more! Have fun at lifeguarding :wave:

Hehe, I'm glad you're excited that it's starting! I feel special!

Flu bug was kind of serious, whein, but I'm happy to report that when I reminsce about the trip it doesn't even cross my mind! It'll just make for some lame days in the middle of my TR - the girls didn't take many pictures wah!

We were packing queens - Lauren's stuff was spread out over her Aunt's.. Donna was going to kill us if we didn't leave, I think! But everything got packed and packed again at the end (wah) with hardly any problems!

We're all about the fashion shows - and I'm happy to report that no one tried to drown when I was at work. BEAUTY!

But Kkkkkk, it just flows right into it (I use to think it was "end" instead of "and" because it flowed so well).

I listen to them every once in a while, I love mmhmm it's my favorite album.

<3 <3 <3

Oh, and your dresses are lovely, you're completely fab, and I'm super jealous of how amazing your trip is already..... Off to write my next installment...

I'M SO GLAD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT THOUGHT IT WAS 'END'! Just meant to be friends.

Why are you jealous of my trip? You had Valentine's day with your boyyyy in the World.. I am the MOST jealous of this. Lovvving keeping up.. you're *almost* a tiaragirl with that crown!

tiaragirl

Original Poster
I'm in! Can't believe your trip is already over! Seems like you should still be cruising.

Girl, you're telling me! Not only am I back, but I've written 3 midterms and started running the swimming program. Killer. Take me back to the Wonder!

You were in the same state as me and didn't even say hi. Hmpf. :(

Haven't ventured over here in quite a bit. Feels weird to be back. But as usual, your TRs are top notch!

Okay, so, I was laying in bed last night thinking about how lame the Disneyland busses are (sorry) and for the LIFE of me, I have no idea why we didn't go down a day early and go to Disneyland.. we could have met and you could have made sure we saw EVERYTHING there was to see in 24 hours.

Actually legitimately annoyed with myself. Like, I can't think about it or I want to punch something.

I'm glad you're back in time for my "trip"! =) How are things with you and DL? Trips planned?

You ladies look AMAZING in your dresses!

And the dessert? So yummy!!!

How was the flight to LAX? Must have been a super long one! I've never flown that far so Im being curious :)

More NOW please :)

Hehe, thanks pretty! I love dressing up, there's just not enough opportunities here. Rachael was wearing a sweet romper.. I don't trust myself with a romper. I feel like I would be a fashion victim in one.

The flight to LAX was looong - luckily we slept most of the way (especially on the way home) - the real problem is that we have a two hour flight to Toronto, and then a five hour flight to LA.. it was a long haul to get to my Wonder!

More later - hopefully this weekend. Going to spend some quality times with the BF, since he's been sick and I've been studying my rear end off. Prince Charming beats TR, sadly.

I'm in! Awesome start! Looks like you lovely ladies had an amazing time! Can't wait to hear more about your adventures!

Thanks! We had a great time, and the adventures really start to pick up soon!

on board...cant wait to hear more...especially about the food.

Food was AWESOME - though I don't have many pictures.. sorry about that (fail) but I will do my best to share all the wonderful taste details and menu suggestions!

Looks like you had a blast! I'm glad to see you properly converting a friend.:)

I'm going to need to book a cruise one of these days.

looking forward to more...

Once you get them on the cruise/to Disney, the converting happens FOR you.. it's getting them there that's the hard part (i.e. Andrew is not having any of it right now).

If I can convince someone to book a cruise through TRs, my life is made. DO IT! Definitely won't regret it.

enchanted_belle

I'M SO GLAD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT THOUGHT IT WAS 'END'! Just meant to be friends.

Why are you jealous of my trip? You had Valentine's day with your boyyyy in the World.. I am the MOST jealous of this. Lovvving keeping up.. you're *almost* a tiaragirl with that crown!

It kinda rolls right from Pacific... :lol: And obv we're meant to be friends, anyone who meets cuz of Disney is!

Does it make me a tiaragirl if that's like my second or third tiara that I own? :king:

Disneyfalcon

Yay! I'm so excited you started!! Midterms schmidterms!! We want more!

Okay, I take that back. Don't ever tell my son I said that. Do your best on midterms and THEN come back and update us. :D

I am loving it so far. I think I can guess from your pictures what the finale is! So exciting!:D

diddy_mouse

Girrrrl, I am so jealous of your wardrobe! My goal for this year, if I head down to The World, is to wear more dresses. Love your heels too!

Okay I can't wait to read what other shenanigans you girls get into. :)

Raven66

I love your trip reports. You are very witty and your pictures are awesome. Can't wait to read more. Looks like y'all had a lot of fun.

tiaragirl

Original Poster
Yay! I'm so excited you started!! Midterms schmidterms!! We want more!

Okay, I take that back. Don't ever tell my son I said that. Do your best on midterms and THEN come back and update us. :D

I am loving it so far. I think I can guess from your pictures what the finale is! So exciting!:D

Definitely telling DS that you're promoting Disney over school - it's what all the "cool moms" do. When I told Mom that I had three midterms after the cruise she was like "oh well, make it work!". Not sure how they turned out - I'll keep ya posted.

And OMG ENDING. THE MOST EXCITING THING OF MY LIFE. When I think about it I get all flushed and pukey feeling - it was the best. Made up for the flu! I knew you'd know ;)

epic trip report... well played, well played

Keepin' on playin', bb.

Girrrrl, I am so jealous of your wardrobe! My goal for this year, if I head down to The World, is to wear more dresses. Love your heels too!

Okay I can't wait to read what other shenanigans you girls get into. :)

Hahah aw, thank you! Dresses/skirts at the World are definitely possible. I always make an effort when I know many pictures will be taken though, so this is not exactly an accurate representation of my wardrobe. Love me some dark jeans.

Shoes are my weakness, though. I'd wear heels all the time if I could! Too bad I live with snow..

I love your trip reports. You are very witty and your pictures are awesome. Can't wait to read more. Looks like y'all had a lot of fun.

Aw, thanks for the compliment! I love writing them, so it makes me happy that people enjoy them =)

We had such a great time, with more fun coming up soon!

tiaragirl

Original Poster
Sweet Skull Cap

February 20 – Day At Sea

Off went the alarm at 7:30 – AM. On vacation. Um, no thanks? The girls were off to the gym while I continued to be Sleeping Beauty (except not beautiful, because I sleep on my face which is possibly the least cute thing in the world) for a little while. I was slowly coming to when I put the TV on – Make It Or Break It channel? My life was/is complete. So I watched Payson get okay-ed to do gymnastics again and got ready to take a walk around the ship.

It was cool out, but obviously going to be a pretty nice day. This was a theme for about a third of the trip – hot sun, solid breeze.

DSC00368.jpg

SUNNY DAYS TO COME

DSC00370.jpg

NOTHING QUITE LIKE A DISNEY FUNNEL (AND FUNNEL CAKE..)

I was taking pictures when a really nice old lady asked of I wanted one of me – OF COURSE!

DSC00374.jpg

FUNNELVISION PLZ

DSC00377.jpg

VONDERVONDER

DSC00380.jpg

FOR HOLLY, THIS MIRROR SPOKE TO ME

Headed up to Beach Blanket for breakfast around 9:45 – breakfast was easily one of the highlights of the day. I’m missing all the fresh fruit SO much now that we’re home – apples are just aren’t cutting it! Lauren may have eaten her weight in pineapple last week. Oh Canada, why don’t you have better winter fruits?

DSC00381.jpg

MMM BREAKY

tiaragirl

Original Poster
Sweet Skull Cap

Then it was time to catch some rays! We were officially the epitome of the “crazy Canadians” on vacation. So many people were bundled up (and I’m talking head to toe) and we were in our bathing suits watching a movie on the funnel. We opted for the Deck 10 chairs in the “family” section for most of the trip, if only for the movies. It was comfy adult chairs vs. Disney movies, and the movies usually won out.

DSC00383.jpg

DA VIEW

DSC00384.jpg

BFFS

DSC00386.jpg

LIKIN WHAT HE SEEEZ

While we were laying, this guy came up to us and was like “so, how old are you guys?”. Creepy? More like questionable – but in all fairness, it seemed like there was NO ONE our age ship. Anyway, that is how we met Kent – who was from Georgia, and 18. Nice kid. We saw him a lot – and he was a good chatter, so he got the seal of approval. He took the next one for us – really, we just made friends so we could get pictures of all three of us together..

DSC00397-1.jpg

BATHING BEAUTIES

Back to Beach Blanket for a quick lunch around 1PM. It was okay – nothing special (I repeat, breakfast is where it’s at) but the tiramisu was exceptionally good. Headed back to the room – the sun and gym had worn us out, so what happened?

DSC00398.jpg

MORE SLEEPING BEAUTIES

Shoot girl, how much do you sleep? Just kidding. Rachael stayed in bed a little longer while Lauren and I headed out to tune trivia – they must have started early, because we were right on time and they were already two songs in! I don’t know if I’ve ever been so disappointed in my life. Wah, we would have owned. But we took it in stride and headed off in search of other ways to amuse ourselves..

DSC00400.jpg

HALLOOOO WE’RE GOIN TO MEXICO!

DSC00402.jpg

CAN I INTEREST YOU IN A PERSONAL NAVIGATOR?

On the way back to the room we made some mochas on Deck 9 and had a very solid conversation about how fortunate we are to be able to A) take trips and B) still enjoy each other’s company – considering our personalities and how long we’ve been friends, this is quite a feat.

Lauren was going to yoga (4PM) so I sat down to watch whatever was on TV (possibly Harry Potter at this point) while Rachael laid on the ground and did some exerting looking ab exercises. I was comfortable. Lauren got back with her yoga mat in tow – apparently it was crazy busy, so while Rach worked those abs, Lauren did some stretches. And I just continued to watch TV.

Wow, I feel bad about myself.

tiaragirl

Original Poster
Sweet Skull Cap

Anyway, we got ready for the show – the Golden Mickeys were tonight! We wanted to get some pictures outside but it was just too dark and overcast – and a little windy. We never did get dinner pictures outside, which is sad because you can’t get a much better background! The evening’s weren’t always the best, and we always seemed to be rushing to supper.. takes a long time to get beautiful, apparently!

The first thing we did was head down to the Walt Disney Theatre to get some pictures with the Golden Mickeys statues. The CM was great – there was no one around, so she just played photographer. Sadly, most of them turned out dark, but you get the idea.

DSC00403.jpg

AWARDZ

Then, with Grampie Walt..

DSC00405.jpg

DSC00406.jpg

WHERE WOULD I BE WITHOUT YOU, BRO?

We headed down around the atrium to see what was happening, and we ran into some drankz. The girls got Bahama Mamas – can’t say no to free drinks – and I got whatever the non-alcoholic beverage was.. pineapple-y goodness, whatever it was!

417218_10150561480595670_504475669_9474679_1305186507_n.jpg

BAHAMA MAMAS

DSC00409.jpg

PORTHOLE PIX

We also ran into the Captain. Now, I was disappointed in this guy. Obviously he can handle a ship, but he’s no Captain Henry! Then – I’m biased. The first 4 cruises I took with Disney were with Henry – and he was pretty funny. Sadly, Captain Thord was given the nickname (by my mother) of “Cardboard Thord”. He was not at all about engaging us.

DSC00410.jpg

US AND CARDBOARD THORD

Our first interaction with Tiana was next – she was stunning!

DSC00415.jpg

PRINCESS AND.. MORE PRINCESSES - NO FROGS HERE

It was time to head back down to the theatre to get prime seats for the show.

DSC00411.jpg

GOLDEN GIRL

As we walked the red carpet (where are my flashes!?) we stopped to watch some cute little girls be interviewed by Rivers. Then Ensign Benson came up to us and asked if we wanted to be interviewed – um, YES?! Rachael bailed, but that turned out to be a good thing, because she got some priceless pictures!

DSC00416.jpg

“…FRIENDS FOR 17 YEARS”

DSC00418.jpg

“THE GOLDEN MICKEYS ARE TONIGHT!”

Not going to lie, tons of people “recognized” us – so famous.

tiaragirl

Original Poster
Sweet Skull Cap

Holy good lord, I love the Golden Mickey’s. Tim Allen’s commentary before the “hero” section wouldn’t kill me so much if it wasn’t backed by “Go The Distance” – the Disney song that makes me cry for no apparent reason, always. So, “Go The Distance” followed immediately by “Out There” from the Hunchback? You may as well just kill me on the spot, because if I’m not wearing waterproof mascara I’m a casualty.

DSC00420.jpg

GO ON A CRUISE JUST TO SEE THIS SHOW.

DSC00422.jpg

KILL ME NOW

Anyway, after crying my way through Ensign Benson’s self-actualization story (the finale song is fabulous also) we headed off in search of Mickey.. While we were waiting, we decided we hadn’t taken enough pictures, so we snagged the damask background for some sweet shots.

IMG_1161.jpg

SMILE AND BE GLITTERY

IMG_1160.jpg

CLOSE UPZ

Eventually, Minnie showed up and joined us for a shot or too. She was looking extra golden and beautiful – the gloves are questionable, however.

DSC00430.jpg

GOLDEN MINNIES?

We were passing Studio C when we heard some wonderful tunes and decided to hop on in. Unfortunately, “family dance party” means that only small children are dancing, but we sat down for a minute or two before I noticed this..

DSC00431.jpg

LOVE OF MY LIFE

DSC00433.jpg

NO SERIOUSLY, I LOVE YOU RICK

I love Castle way too much – it killed me that I missed it while we were on the trip (Part 2? After they fell off the pier? Are you kidding me?!). After I had my magical moment with Rick, we headed out – only to get stopped by the paparazzi.

DSC00435.jpg

STOP TAKIN THOSE PIX

IMG_1167.jpg

LOVIN IT

DSC00449.jpg

CLASSIC OVER THE SHOULDER

We had a few minutes before dinner at Tritons, so we went back to Promenade Lounge and listened to the Northern Lights again. Pluto showed up to dance with the kids, and once again we wished it wasn’t weird that we were 21 and wanted to dance with 3 year olds – I feel like the parents would have found that questionable. Northern Lights were from Toronto, and so nice! We were known as “Cape Breton” from then on.

tiaragirl

Original Poster
Sweet Skull Cap

Off to Tritons for supper – since it was formal night, the menus were Golden Mickeys related!

421404_10150561483720670_504475669_9474705_600985369_n.jpg

CUTEST MENUS

DSC00441.jpg

CUTEST GIRLS?

Once again, we got allllll the appetizers – the Crispy Cheese Ravioli was my favourite.. yummiest. For soups/salads I had the Broccoli and Maytag Blue Cheese Soup – very, very good I love broccoli soup though, so that might have helped out. Main courses, you ask? Lauren had the Swordfish – which was to die for. It was so excellent – I was going to order it, but opted out last minute for the Turkey Breast. We didn’t want to order the same thing, but next time swordfish is my choice! Rach had the Potato Gnocchi, and none of us were really fans.

DSC00445.jpg

ALL THE APPETIZERS, MONIKA!

We had a magical moment during dinner – the people at the table next to us were from Toronto and we got to chatting. Since the head chef, our head server, and our assistant server were from India, and the guy (of the couple) was from India, they brought them an Indian dish along with their regular supper. Lauren and I were gushing about how much we loooove Indian food (so happy to be back hanging out with Andrew, we had Taj last night – and Lauren’s roommate is Indian) and they gave us one of their dishes! Amazing chicken curry. Not going to lie, it was probably the best thing I ate on the whole trip. Thanks, friends from Toronto and chef!

In order to get our dessert, Desmond (assistant server) decided that we had to complete a logic game. Well, while he was gone to get it, they delivered us our desserts – Crème Brulee, Golden Chocolate Award, Sweet Temptations. However, Lauren was logical anyway and beat the trick! Such a smartie.

DSC00445.jpg

WINNAZ

There were people singing happy birthday, and Pam (our tablemate from England) decided it would be hilarious if she told Desmond that it was my birthday. IT WAS NOT. So we spent about 10 minutes convincing him that it was NOT my birthday – he thought I was just being shy and didn’t want anyone to sing to me. Which was true, but it was also a lie! That sneaky Pam.. luckily we escaped without getting sung to.

We walked around the ship some more, and decided there was nothing we really wanted to do other than get a good night sleep – and wake up for the sunrise in the morning! So off we went to the room, tidied and showered, and I filled in my journals. There was a movie n, but I’m not sure how long we lasted before we drifted off – probably sometime around 11:30. Lamest?

Glad I'm done this day - Andrew just came in..
A: What are you doing?
K: Don't ask?
A: ..seriously?
K: Writing my TR
A: Shouldn't have asked - wait.. do you have a BLOG?! (I think he might have dumped me if I'd had a blog).

Loves!

enchanted_belle

Glad I'm done this day - Andrew just came in..
A: What are you doing?
K: Don't ask?
A: ..seriously?
K: Writing my TR
A: Shouldn't have asked - wait.. do you have a BLOG?! (I think he might have dumped me if I'd had a blog).

Loves!

:lol: Moments like this make me so glad that Dan is understandable of my internetness... Walking around, he kept telling people that I was writing a TR of our Disney trip (to make excuses for him taking pictures of his food... mmhmm). And he's always finding stuff for my blog.

Tell A he needs to step up his game! <3
And how come I'm beating you to TR commenting??? HMMMM. jk jk jk <3

P.S. Come to Delaware and shop with me, kk? I want like all of your outfits

Adventure

Just curious, it sounds like you flew to LA the same day as the cruise. I would have been nervous that bad weather would have delayed the flight and the ship would have sailed without me.
Living in the Northeast I have always thought when I go on a cruise I would fly out at least a day before so I wouldn't miss departure.
Were you panicky at all that a snowstorm would make you miss your trip?
Great report so far!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom