Stroller for a 4 year old?

hedgewick

We're going to Disney World in September. My son will be 4 1/2. He's right around 40 lbs and 40 inches now and doesn't really fit well in our stroller anymore so we haven't used it in quite a while. I'm wondering if:

A) strollers that are for rent at the parks would accomidate a child this size?

b) If so, have any of you used one for a child of his age/size? Is it worth it?

I'm sure he wouldn't want to ride in it but later in the day may be really tired and crabby. I'm also worred about him staying with us. I HATE the idea of the "leashes" I see folks use for their kids (he's not a dog). I don't want to spend the money on one and then just use it to cart around our bags and things instead of our son.

What do you all recomend?

maggiegrace1

Number_6 said:
By your own words, you are "pretty sure" that Yellow Shoes is kidding. You cannot be 100% positive though and that's the reason people reacted the way that they did.

Hi..... By the way.. Where is Yellow shoes and why has she not responded or cleared this up?

My nephew is 4 and rides proudly in a stroller:wave:

Upvote 0

Heatherbell

It is amazing how people can turn a simple thread about strollers into a debate about whats right and whats wrong. The fact of the matter is whats right/wrong is determined by you and you only. I don't think the original post said "please tell me why it is OR isn't morally correct for my 4 year old to sit in a stroller" The OP was merely asking for opinions. Some people think their child needs to sit in stroller, whether they are 1,2,4 or 10 if you want to put your kids in a stroller that is your perogative. All kids are different and so are all parents. In the end whats comfortable for the kids and the parents is whats most important. So if there is a child with his knees in his ears is it really going to make a difference in your day? And do ya really need to take a picture of it? Seems to me you can find better things to do with your time in WDW then take pictures of other people's children in strollers.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

I honestly have wondered for a long time, have asked before on these boards and have had no real response......WHY do people get so worked up about which children should or should not ride in a stroller? One of my nephews is big for his age, same size as my 6 yr old daughter, yet he is not yet 4 yrs old. His little body couldn't keep up for the duration of our touring, so he rides in the stroller...ya know at 3 he only goes to preschool for a few hours each day, a few days each week. He needs the stroller and we gladly pay for it cause it keeps him happy which in turns keeps us happy. Yes, he walks sometimes, he rides sometimes. We generally park it in one land and walk all of it in MK, but keep it with us in Epcot.

Upvote 0

wannab@dis

Yellow Shoes said:
One thing I like to do on every WDW trip is take "theme" photos.

I may take pictures of my food, CM costumes, signs in front of attractions, etc.

Last trip (which was only 1 day) I started a "kids way too big for strollers" collection. Those kids with their knees in their ears do NOT look comfortable or happy.

You have been warned.
Take pictures of my daughter without my permission and you will need a surgeon to extract your camera...

YOU have been warned.

Upvote 0

wannab@dis

pinkrose said:
Exactly!

If you want to have your child in a stroller, then that is your businnes and nobody elses.

And yup, I know that episode well. :lol:
:wave:

Gotta say that I totally agree with you. Now I'm going back to read the responses since the post I quoted above. Somethings are NOT even funny.

Upvote 0

wannab@dis

crazygirley said:
Totally inappropriate. What is wrong, in your opinion, with taking themed pictures? Or is it just that YOU have stuck a tween child in a stroller just so that you didn't have to hear about tired feet. Don't talk about other people and the things they enjoy doing for a hobby... last time I checked, cramming children into strollers wasn't a hobby, and opinions on that subject were asked for.
Unbelievable. You have GOT to be kidding, right? :rolleyes:

Where kids are concerned... there is NO joking around.

Upvote 0

GenerationX

Well well well, what have we here? Children too big for a stroller. Apparently, some parents don't feel the need to discipline their children any more. Letting them ride strollers when their little legs are perfectly good for walking little distances. Making them walk only when it's convenient. All so that the family has the extra time and energy to meet a duck with no pants.

Isn't that special?

So, who's behind this fiendish plot to confine these spoiled little deviants into strollers? Who forced the rest of us to endure the sight of a 4 year old child resting in one of those toe-crunching, knee-bashing death traps? Who could've done that? Oh, I don't know ... NEGLIGENT PARENTS.

I'm feeling a little superior now. I think it's time to do the Superiority Dance. Hit it, Pearl!

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

GenerationX said:
Well well well, what have we here? Children too big for a stroller. Apparently, some parents don't feel the need to discipline their children any more. Letting them ride strollers when their little legs are perfectly good for walking little distances. Making them walk only when it's convenient. All so that the family has the extra time and energy to meet a duck with no pants.

Isn't that special?

So, who's behind this fiendish plot to confine these spoiled little deviants into strollers? Who forced the rest of us to endure the sight of a 4 year old child resting in one of those toe-crunching, knee-bashing death traps? Who could've done that? Oh, I don't know ... NEGLIGENT PARENTS.
gENERATIONX said:
Sorry, but yes my children 2 1/2 and 5 both ride in strollers are they disciplined ? ..oh yes they are , and since when does riding in a stroller have to do with bad behaving children...? If my child is not listening and acting like a brat putting them in a stroller is not going to help the situation at all..Taking pool breaks and food breaks helps .It is not only needed for the kids but for as us as well.....Does our vacation revolve around whatever our kids want ?..certainly not! But to make it more pleasureable and yes to make things run a little quicker you bet your --- I'll be using the strollers....so I guess that makes me and many others NEGLIGENT PARENTS!! LOL

HAVE A MAGICAL DAY!!!!:) :)

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

GenerationX said:

Isn't that special?

I'm feeling a little superior now. I think it's time to do the Superiority Dance. Hit it, Pearl!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Upvote 0

Denscott

We'll be going down in December, 2008 when our little man is 4 years old. We plan on taking him for walks and generally getting him used to the physical demands of a park visit. We also plan on raising him to be used to being outdoors and playing outside rather than sitting on the couch watching TV or playing on the computer like it seems most kids today do.

Man, I remember when I was a kid in the 1970's and my parents brought me to WDW, a stroller wasn't even available for rental I think! I was 4 or 5 and when I got tired my Dad carried me on his back...only rich people stayed on site so going for a nap wasn't an option either.

I think the problem is that alot of kids today are not near as physical or in-shape as we were 30 years ago...we only had 6 channels of TV, computers were for big corporations and NASA, and Atari was just coming out. Our imaginations were more vivid because we were not spoon-fed the images and information kids today are by the mass media...we played outside with games like tag, hide-and-seek, baseball, bike races, etc. Kids now-a-days do not have the stamina or endurance that we had. That's why we want to raise our son to enjoy playing outside, being involved in physical activities. If he absolutely needs a stroller, obviously we'll get one, but I'm more than willing to carry my boy on my back if he needs a break.

Upvote 0

maggiegrace1

Really .. Why does anyone care who's child has a stroller anyway?What does it matter? I dont understand why anyone cares if a 4 yr old or a 10 yr old is in a stroller.. unless it interferes with you personally..leave it alone.. You are on vacation to have fun and enjoy the parks not to sit there and worry about the age of someones child in a stroller.. Seriously people... Lets get a life..

Upvote 0
maggiegrace1 said:
Really .. Why does anyone care who's child has a stroller anyway?What does it matter? I dont understand why anyone cares if a 4 yr old or a 10 yr old is in a stroller.. unless it interferes with you personally..leave it alone.. You are on vacation to have fun and enjoy the parks not to sit there and worry about the age of someones child in a stroller.. Seriously people... Lets get a life..

:sohappy: THANK YOU, I couldn't have said it better myself!!!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Kadee

maggiegrace1 said:

Perfect response!!!! I completely agree!

Please keep in mind that you NEVER know exactly why some children are in a stroller. You know, there are children out there with diseases or conditions that warrant a stroller. I see kids everyday that look "healthy as a horse" and need special attention or help. I'm a teacher and have access to IEP's, 504's, etc that list those conditions. Other people are not. So don't judge too quickly. And in my opinion, a tired child is good enough reason for me!

And....one more thing on the picture taking of kids in strollers......... If someone took a photo of MY child without MY permission, they would be in need of a wheel chair! THAT, my friend, is CERTAINLY NO JOKE! Do you know how many altered pictures end up on the internet as inappropriate pictures? You never know who the person is that is taking the picture and what they may do with it. I know plenty of people (some of them my middle school students) that can alter a picture with PhotoShop (or something like it) and it would take an expert to determine it was altered. There is too much "bad" in the world to take that kind of chance.

Upvote 0

3fordisney

I totally agree! I developed a heart condition while pregnant with my son and you would have never know simply by looking at me. My son will be 4 when we go back and we plan to use the stroller. Its our choice and we do not use it to get him through the day. We leave the parks midday to go back to our room and take a nap. My son didn't take one everyday, but we did go back and rest. As an adult, I need the rest too! :) Also, the crowds can be a little too thick for a small one and very intimidating, even in the stroller. Some people are rude with the strollers and use it to push people out of the way, but some without strollers think you can stop on a dime and will walk right in front of you and then just stop. There is fault on both sides of the stroller pushers and those without strollers. Let's be adults and get past it. To use a stroller or not use a stroller... Its up to you and is no one else's business. If someone has a question about it, lets just answer it and not use it as an opportunity to rant about "stroller issues". Let's move on!!

I do not agree with taking pictures of other people's children. It just isn't right. There is, unfortunately, too much that can go wrong with that and there are some bad people out in the world.

Stroller users & non-stroller users are all at Disney for one reason.... Vacation!! Lets remember to relax and enjoy our trips there and not let something so trivial as a kid in a stroller affect our trip!!:p :p

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
GenerationX said:

Isn't that special?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Upvote 0

pax_65

maggiegrace1 said:
Really .. Why does anyone care who's child has a stroller anyway?

Two quick points...

* If a parent uses a stroller to push their kids harder than would otherwise be possible without a stroller (more time in the park, fewer breaks, etc), it does affect other people because the kids are so miserable that everyone within earshot gets to share the magic.

* A 7-year-old in a stroller doesn't really bother anyone, but as these boards are for "trip planning" and advice, I would offer that you'll have a better WDW trip if your 7-year-old is willing and able to walk without being pushed around in a stroller.

Ultimately you should do what's best for you and your family. But be respectful of others also. If your kids are so tired and miserable that they are screaming, take them back to the hotel for a nap. If your 7-year-old insists on riding in a stroller, don't crash the stroller into me! :)

One last stroller tip... tie a piece of fabric or something to the stroller so it doesn't get accidentally taken by someone with a similar stroller, thus leaving you in the park without any diapers. :lookaroun

Upvote 0

Dwarful

I think there is a huge difference between a 4 yr old and a 7 yr old and most 7 yr olds aren't in strollers. I am completely amazed at the number of people who are upset about other people using strollers. The one time it has come in handy for us is at parade time. Gives the child a safe spot where they cannot get squished and believe me I've been squished plenty waiting for the parades.

we've never hit someone with our strollers but we do two things, one is we walk single file and the one not pushing is leading the way, and we do some serious defensive pushing of those strollers...I am completely amazed at the number of people who just all of a sudden come to a complete stop in the middle of a walk way...or those people who stop just outside the ride/show exit who then block everyone else behind them causing a major back up!

Upvote 0

LaughingGravy

pax_65 said:
Two quick points...
see above

Here Here, Pax!

Luckily,our family is all healthy enough to do the parks without a stroller.

If there are health issues, please use the stroller. No sense in being miserable or not going at all.

We made the decision not to go until we were reasonably sure our kids could do the trip without a nap if the day ended just after dinner.
As it turns out, they were fine not only the whole day, but until at least 9pm every night and past 11pm on a couple.
My getting them up early enough to catch the first bus wasn't always easy, but bringing breakfast back to the room helped a lot. OK, we slept in 2 mornings past 9am :eek:

When it is clearly to tiring to continue, we do continue... back to take a nap.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

GenerationX said:

Isn't that special?

:lol: :lol: :lol: I see from a few response that people don't watch Saturday Night Live and didn't get your post. I love the church lady, she was a riot.

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Super Stitch said:
I also do not want to offend anyone, but I have to agree.

My husband and I do not have children yet, but we have already decided that they will not be going to Disney until they are old enough to spend the day comfortably walking.

(On a side note: Strollers can be very painful for the innocent bystanders that get their heals ran over by them or almost trip over them when the person in front of them comes to an immediate stop out of nowhere. This seems to happen to us A LOT while at the world)

So spoken like a person who doesn't have kids. :lol: Be very careful, those kind of comments come back to bite you in the butt, and hard!

Seriously. If you have a good stroller, take it. It will save you $$$. If not feel free to rent. The WDW ones are good for larger kids and the amount of walking done in a day there is staggering.

My oldest happens to be a stroller kid. She likes to ride in one, so we bring a double. (she gets out and walks some too.) She is 5 years old, 41 inces and 30 pounds so she is a tiny one. Still that can be a lot to carry. The stroller is also darn handy to helping to carry other things too (water, snacks, camera, sweat shirts. etc...)

Oh and every person I cliped with the stroller last week walked in front of me and either stopped, or cut us off. :lookaroun

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom