Stroller for a 4 year old?

hedgewick

We're going to Disney World in September. My son will be 4 1/2. He's right around 40 lbs and 40 inches now and doesn't really fit well in our stroller anymore so we haven't used it in quite a while. I'm wondering if:

A) strollers that are for rent at the parks would accomidate a child this size?

b) If so, have any of you used one for a child of his age/size? Is it worth it?

I'm sure he wouldn't want to ride in it but later in the day may be really tired and crabby. I'm also worred about him staying with us. I HATE the idea of the "leashes" I see folks use for their kids (he's not a dog). I don't want to spend the money on one and then just use it to cart around our bags and things instead of our son.

What do you all recomend?

MickeyTigg

The only thing worse than getting run into by a stroller is getting kicked by some kid that is too big for a stroller.

I agree with the above....if you haven't used the stroller and the child is tired....it's time to rest, not put him in a stoller that he's inappropriate for and push him around.

I totally disagree with getting a stroller just so you can do the parks camando style.

Upvote 0

DisneyMarg

To each his own opinion, but I disagree with the "don't come to Disney until your kids can walk on their own" philosophy. My husband and I always believed that we were a family - we certainly cared for the kids, but everything did not always have to center around them. So at Disney, we made sure that we got to do some adult activities while the kids took turns waiting for us, just like they got to do kid activities while we waited for them. Having a stroller makes everyone's life easier. This doesn't have to be a test of your parenting skills or your child's stamina. Find the path of least resistance and take it! You're on vacation!

As for "leashes", I thought they were questionable until I realized how tiring it was for my child to have to hold his hand up over his head all day. Try it yourself and after about 5 minutes, you'll be voting for a better method, as well. We used the wrist type at Disney for several trips. It gave the kids a lot of freedom without tiring them out.

Upvote 0

Trishnh

since the topic of leashes has come up several times, I will offer my tip:D ..I, too have a sprinter..She will take off in the blink of an eye and where she has special needs, it makes it even more scary for us! We have a wheelchair for her to use but wanted to give her a little more freedom but she will NOT hold hands, she just takes off the wrist leashes and the harness ones are a little much and won't fit her anymore so I put a pack on her (which she thought was great) and attached a wrist leash to the back of it so we could keep her close. It worked really well and she did not fight about using it since she liked the pack. Worked great for us so I thought I'd share:wave:

Upvote 0

DisneyMarg

Trishnh said:
since the topic of leashes has come up several times, I will offer my tip:D ..I, too have a sprinter..She will take off in the blink of an eye and where she has special needs, it makes it even more scary for us! We have a wheelchair for her to use but wanted to give her a little more freedom but she will NOT hold hands, she just takes off the wrist leashes and the harness ones are a little much and won't fit her anymore so I put a pack on her (which she thought was great) and attached a wrist leash to the back of it so we could keep her close. It worked really well and she did not fight about using it since she liked the pack. Worked great for us so I thought I'd share:wave:

Great idea. And I can think of some adults who I'd like to tie up by their packs as well. They seem to keep wandering off, just when the line starts to move, or it's time to order...:lol:

Upvote 0

Heatherbell

MartyMouse said:
Now don’t take this the wrong way, I’m not attacking anyone and I feel “to each his own” … but … I have to ask this, if for no other reason than to see if I’m the only one who feels this way.

When my son was 4 I told his mother that when we went to Disney World the stroller stayed home. I felt that he was old enough to walk on his own at that age and if he became tired we would go back to our room. I felt that the trip was about him not us, and if he was too tired to be in the parks then our day would be through. I didn’t see the point in “dragging” him around with us so we could “get the most” out of our tickets. Also I waited until he was old enough to appreciate the parks before I brought him.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

The first thing I have to say is that not every family can wait until all of their kids are old enough to visit Disney. Some people have kids that are a few years apart in age and may want to go before all children are the "appropriate age"...therefore a stroler is necessary. Secondly it doesn't matter how old that child is and how many breaks you take throughout the day, that kid is going to get tired, especially at the end of the night. Even adults get tired and need to take a rest, why should a child be any different. At WDW you walk miles and miles, IMO I think that would be pretty difficult for a child to do especially if you are on a week long vacation. Kids just don't have the stamina as some adults. We took our 3 year old to WDW. Yes we went slow and yes we took mid day breaks. We didn't rush her and we weren't park commandos and she was still exausted. The heat alone put her in a mood where she didn't want to walk and she is a very active and happy child.
So my advice is get the stroller. They are perfect for lugging around the kids (whether or not you need them)

Upvote 0

crazygirley

Super Stitch said:
(On a side note: Strollers can be very painful for the innocent bystanders that get their heals ran over by them or almost trip over them when the person in front of them comes to an immediate stop out of nowhere. This seems to happen to us A LOT while at the world)
I would have to second this... about a million times. Ouch and RUDE.

If you don't plan on using the stroller the whole day, and think you will have to be "chasing" your son around (since you said you don't think he would stay in the stroller), I can tell you will probably wind up becoming one of the above mentioned. It's pretty hard chasing a child while pushing a big bulky plastic stroller, and a rather useless task if not needed to say the least.

When I was four, I walked. When I was tired, my parents KNEW (since they are my parents), and they appreciated the quick break. Find a bench, buy a Coke, and take a break. You will probably need it as much as your 4 year old.

Upvote 0

crazygirley

TiggerRPh said:
The only thing worse than getting run into by a stroller is getting kicked by some kid that is too big for a stroller.

I agree with the above....if you haven't used the stroller and the child is tired....it's time to rest, not put him in a stoller that he's inappropriate for and push him around.
Absolutely.

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

TiggerRPh said:

I totally disagree with getting a stroller just so you can do the parks camando style.

But the thing is, that's entirely up to each parent to decide for thier own child. :wave:

Upvote 0

3fordisney

Last December, we took our 3 year old and he rode in the strollers great. He had already stopped using strollers at home. He was about 36 pounds and 40 inches tall then. He is a little tall for his age. We rented the disney strollers and found them to be great.

We took him when he was 2 and used our umbrella stroller. It was fine, but a pain to take on the bus. A few months prior to leaving for our trip, we start going for really long walks to help prepare us for Disney. My 3 year old has a lot more energy than me and little ones can make it a lot further than we think.

I would definitely give it a try. My little one was comfortable and did not complain about riding. We thought he might not want to since he had already stopped riding in strollers and shopping carts. However, the Disney strollers are larger and he loved riding in it. We liked him reserving his engery for the walk to and from the bus lines at the hotel and parks. It made standing in line great because he wasn't tired and we didn't have to hold him much in line.

Hope this helps and have a great trip!

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

One thing I like to do on every WDW trip is take "theme" photos.

I may take pictures of my food, CM costumes, signs in front of attractions, etc.

Last trip (which was only 1 day) I started a "kids way too big for strollers" collection. Those kids with their knees in their ears do NOT look comfortable or happy.

You have been warned.

Upvote 0

pinkrose

Yellow Shoes said:
One thing I like to do on every WDW trip is take "theme" photos.

I may take pictures of my food, CM costumes, signs in front of attractions, etc.

Last trip (which was only 1 day) I started a "kids way too big for strollers" collection. Those kids with their knees in their ears do NOT look comfortable or happy.

You have been warned.
What's that supossed to mean?

I'm sorry if you are so bored at WDW that you feel the need to do that.

Upvote 0

AngryEyes

My youngest was almost 3 the first time we went to WDW, almost 4 the next, and will be almost 5 this trip. We never used a stroller and never had a problem. We go back to the hotel for the pool and rest in the afternoon and everyone's happy. Honestly, the happiness rate with children (and adults?) seems to be much higher using this method than the stroller and stay all day method. You get to rest and get out of the heat and biggest crowds of the day. How can you beat that?

Upvote 0

crazygirley

pinkrose said:
What's that supossed to mean?

I'm sorry if you are so bored at WDW that you feel the need to do that.
Totally inappropriate. What is wrong, in your opinion, with taking themed pictures? Or is it just that YOU have stuck a tween child in a stroller just so that you didn't have to hear about tired feet. Don't talk about other people and the things they enjoy doing for a hobby... last time I checked, cramming children into strollers wasn't a hobby, and opinions on that subject were asked for.

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

crazygirley said:
Totally inappropriate. What is wrong, in your opinion, with taking themed pictures? Or is it just that YOU have stuck a tween child in a stroller just so that you didn't have to hear about tired feet. Don't talk about other people and the things they enjoy doing for a hobby... last time I checked, cramming children into strollers wasn't a hobby, and opinions on that subject were asked for.
Take pictures of my family as part of some "ha ha, look at these people, aren't we better than them" self-amusement and you'll be lucky if my stroller across your foot is all you get.

:fork:

Upvote 0

crazygirley

MKCP 1985 said:
Take pictures of my family as part of some "ha ha, look at these people, aren't we better than them" self-amusement and you'll be lucky if my stroller across your foot is all you get.

:fork:
Well, then I am sure all you will get is an assault charge. :animwink:

Let's all learn what a JOKE is.

Upvote 0

SpongeScott

crazygirley said:
No, this is inappropriate. There is nothing wrong with taking themed pictures, but taking pictures of other people's children without their consent is wrong. To me, it's an invasion of privacy, unless the parent gives their consent. And for the reasons mentioned by YS, the whole basis of it is wrong. So, based on responses I've seen here, the idea of taking pictures of other people's children is out of line and warning people that you're going to do it is not the way to win friends and influence people.

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

Random strangers taking picture of your child is no joke.

So help me if I ever caught somebody doing that. Regardless of what they found amusing in the act.

I don't approve of young girls wearing the shorts with the writing on the butt. May I start a collection of photographs of those? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom