Stroller for a 4 year old?

hedgewick

We're going to Disney World in September. My son will be 4 1/2. He's right around 40 lbs and 40 inches now and doesn't really fit well in our stroller anymore so we haven't used it in quite a while. I'm wondering if:

A) strollers that are for rent at the parks would accomidate a child this size?

b) If so, have any of you used one for a child of his age/size? Is it worth it?

I'm sure he wouldn't want to ride in it but later in the day may be really tired and crabby. I'm also worred about him staying with us. I HATE the idea of the "leashes" I see folks use for their kids (he's not a dog). I don't want to spend the money on one and then just use it to cart around our bags and things instead of our son.

What do you all recomend?

pax_65

Another piece of advice I remembered after I posted on this thread last week...

People take these enormous strollers that are difficult to fold up, etc. These don't work well on the monorail or bus and contribute to the problem of running people over with your stroller because they are so large.

You can always rent strollers in the parks, but we took a small "umbrella" stroller. You can "gate check" it on the plane so it's available to use immediately when you get off the plane to go to a connecting flight or go to get your luggage. You can use it outside the parks, around your hotel, etc. It's small so you can get around in crowds easily without getting stuck or nipping heels. You can fold it up easily for the bus, monorail or trunk of the rental car. If you search around you can find one that reclines for good naps, and you can buy a webbed "bag" that hangs on the stroller to hold diapers, wipes and other junk.

Good luck!

Jon

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

hedgewick said:
WOW! I'm sorry my innocent question has caused all this fighting. The posts about my original question have been really helpful. Thanks!

Sorry hedgewick, that seems to happen a lot around here.

Have a good trip! :wave:

Upvote 0

justducky78

I am not against the use of strollers - heck, I wouldn't expect a two year old to walk around all day. And you can't expect people to wait until the kids are old enough to walk on their own to enjoy WDW together! I probably wouldn't bring an infant, but as long as they're over 6 months or so, I think it would be easier on everyone. Because sitting in a stroller all day isn't fun for the kids either.

I'm all for the use of leashes..it's peace of mind for the parent and gives the kids just enough freedom to walk around without getting lost/hurt. And they have those cute little backpack leashes with a bear of frog on the back!

But, I have to say the double strollers (side by side) that they rent at Disney are really annoying. They are HUGE and cause major backups. Whatever happened to the normal double strollers (kid in front, kid in back)?

On this past trip, I've noticed more double strollers than ever before and saw kids passed out in them during the parades, etc. They were obviously way overtired! I think a lot of people are over-ambitious and stay in the parks all day long without a break...I would think the parents would be just as tired as the kids! Go take a nap people! And we saw so many big kids (at least over age 8) being pushed around in the strollers. Now, THAT is ridiculous to me. I was never in a stroller at age 8, to me...that's going a bit far.

I would think a couple umbrella strollers would be much easier to navigate and lug around versus one big double stroller.

Upvote 0

pax_65

justducky78 said:
I would think a couple umbrella strollers would be much easier to navigate and lug around versus one big double stroller.

They also have them where you can clip two single umbrella strollers together, which again gives you more flexibility than having just one giant double wide stroller. You can clip them together if one adult needs to push both at once, or if the parks aren't crowded, and you can unclip them if the parks are crazed and two pushing adults are available.

I'm glad I don't have to worry about this any longer... my son is 5 and he walks. We threw the strollers away!

Upvote 0
hedgewick said:
We're going to Disney World in September. My son will be 4 1/2. He's right around 40 lbs and 40 inches now and doesn't really fit well in our stroller anymore so we haven't used it in quite a while. I'm wondering if:

A) strollers that are for rent at the parks would accomidate a child this size?

b) If so, have any of you used one for a child of his age/size? Is it worth it?

I'm sure he wouldn't want to ride in it but later in the day may be really tired and crabby. I'm also worred about him staying with us. I HATE the idea of the "leashes" I see folks use for their kids (he's not a dog). I don't want to spend the money on one and then just use it to cart around our bags and things instead of our son.

What do you all recomend?

Hedgewick,

We went November 2004 with my little cousin Brittney who was then 4 1/2. We told her mom Missy to bring the umbrella stroller, and it turned out to be fantastic! Britter walked as long as she could until her little legs got tired. But that didn't mean she wanted to go back to the hotel and take a nap or any such thing! She was so excited to be there - seeing her little face when she met Mickey and Minnie was priceless.

I'd suggest an umbrella stroller personally - they're SO easy to fold up for busses, monorails, etc. and they take so little time to fold so people aren't waiting for you.

Also a tip: If you're going into someplace with a HUGE crowd (Example: Fantasmic!) make sure the little one is in the stroller. Everybody is running, tripping, falling, etc. and even if you aren't racing, everyone else is. We probably would've lost Brit if we didn't make sure she was in the stroller - and even though the show is scary, we told her all about it before-hand (mentioned the monsters couldn't get her, she was safe on this side of the water, etc.) and she LOVED it...kept calling it Mickey's Bad Dream so much I even started calling it that! :wave:

Ok, I realized you hadn't asked to hear all that, so feel free to disregard my ramblings...but have a GREAT time...wish I was going too!!

~Amy~

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

amykissangel said:
Also a tip: If you're going into someplace with a HUGE crowd (Example: Fantasmic!) make sure the little one is in the stroller. Everybody is running, tripping, falling, etc. and even if you aren't racing, everyone else is. We probably would've lost Brit if we didn't make sure she was in the stroller - and even though the show is scary, we told her all about it before-hand (mentioned the monsters couldn't get her, she was safe on this side of the water, etc.) and she LOVED it...kept calling it Mickey's Bad Dream so much I even started calling it that! :wave:

When we went last August my niece was 4 1/2 and tiny, but she walked the entire time because according to her only babies go in them. But since I am very much aware of crowds and how pushy they can be, I made sure she was safely in front of us and I had no problem putting my arm out to clear a path or stop people from trampling her. When my SIL saw that she laughed and said that now she has seen it all. You have to go with what is comfortable for your child and every child is different.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom