'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

BuddyThomas

A Lesbian princess in an animated movie celebrating the 100th anniversary? I can’t imagine they would think that’s a good idea even before the Strange World and Lightyear results. But wouldn’t be the the first time they surprised me the last few years. How much do you think this is the “inclusion committee” and how much the actual artists pushing for this stuff? I can’t imagine the financial people or execs want any of this unless they had really bad data and/ or foresight. They probably just didn’t have the guts to say “No.”
Or maybe the time of straight white people being the only ones portrayed on screen is OVER. Sorry to disappoint you.

TP2000

No Queer as Folk, no The L Word, no Heartstopper, no Pose, no Special, no Love Victor, no Looking, no Tales of the City, no Boys in the Band, but yeah, you’ve got Leslie Gore. Got it.

No to all of those, I haven't even heard of several of them. But I forgot about Armistead Maupin's Tales of The City!

I loved that one in the 1990's. I watched the remake/last season of it a couple years ago and enjoyed it also. But not quite as much as I loved the original 1990's episodes. I thought they handled the coming home and closure aspect of it all for Mrs. Madrigal very well in that last season, however. Plus the interesting and factual history they wove into it, which all pre-dated Stonewall as the real first rebellions that happened on the West Coast; San Francisco or that donut shop in LA that had a gay riot in the early 1960's. I also liked that they made the ultra-woke girl the villain. ;)

LittleBuford

As I have stated approximately ten billion times, the innocent gay crush in Strange World comprises less than five minutes of screen time in total. It is no big deal at all. There is absolutely no reason why a gay teen character should not be included in a movie, when gay teens exist in the world, and there is absolutely no reason why a supposed gay man should be objecting to less than five minutes of screen time in a movie he has not seen.
Moreover, there are pre-teen gay children for whom such representation is very important. The lack of it during my childhood certainly contributed to the years I spent in a state of closeted self-loathing.

LittleBuford

I was thinking about this. Lightyear took a beloved character, reimagined it and added a bit of progressive 'flair', and it bombed.
Disney just tried again with an original story- so no built in audience- added some progressive flair and it bombed.

Up next is The Little Mermaid, which is now a remake of a beloved film but with progressive flair. I'm curious to see how it does, since between these three films you have an adaptation of an IP that's progressive, an original story that's progressive, and a remake that's progressive. So far they've all bombed.
Can you specify what you consider “progressive” about the actual storyline of Lightyear?

TP2000

Speaking of San Francisco, let's add in Beach Blanket Babylon to the list! I saw that several times in various eras; from the early 1980's to the 2010's. It got a bit too Canadian Bus Tour there towards the end, but I was really sad that it closed. And just two months before Covid. Might it return? I'm not sure you could do that sort of thing now.

But I sometimes find myself humming "San Francisco, Open Your Golden Gate!" in traffic. :D

RobWDW1971

Conversation from another thread about Disney's plummeting brand reputation from the general public. Reposting here as the failure and controversy of this film is just another point of erosion of this one trusted and beloved family entertainment brand:

More information from the 2022 Axios/Harris poll, a widely recognized corporate brand poll that Disney has touted in the past, in 2019, Disney was #5, rated "Excellent" as it had been for years.

Fast forward just three years later and the company has shockingly dropped from #5 "Excellent" to #65 "Good". A nearly 100 year old brand took just three years of terrible cultural and controversial decisions to fundamentally change the public's perception and reputation of its brand.

And the low reputation is on points that used to be heart and soul of the brand: Trust. Ethics. Citizenship. Culture.

We are talking about the Walt Disney Company here, not Best Buy (which BTW now rates 14 places higher than Disney).

A brand and the trust of the public is an exceptionally fragile thing and the saying usually goes "when you're in a hole, stop digging", but Disney seems to be bringing in the steam shovels. Oh, and you know who won't be getting fired for the destruction of one of the world's most beloved brands? The DEI staff that has ruled the company for the past three years.

Truly a shame to see The Walt Disney Company now ranked below 64 other companies including Kohls, Walgreens, Lowe's, Target, Netflix, etc. Shocking actually.

Will be interesting to see in the 2023 poll with the continued controversies this year if the brand will get an expected "dead cat bounce" after a huge fall like this or the decline will solidify or fall even further (if that is even possible).

But as another poster put it so eloquently and succinctly, "Disney doesn't care about Midwest moms". Indeed - how's that working out for you, Disney?

Attachments

• 2022 Disney.png
    2022 Disney.png
    90.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 2019 Disney.png
    2019 Disney.png
    97.8 KB · Views: 35

BuddyThomas

Moreover, there are pre-teen gay children for whom such representation is very important. The lack of it during my childhood certainly contributed to the years I spent in a state of closeted self-loathing.
If I saw Strange World when I was a kid, it definitely would have helped. My parents were classic southern homophobes (I grew up in Florida). It also would have helped my brother, who, as I have previously posted, was gay, and who committed suicide when my father disowned him when he came out. I never spoke to anyone from my immediate family after that happened. So yeah, I have very strong feelings about this. Those on here crying about a less than five minute scene where there is a gay crush need to calm down and look within.

LittleBuford

That isn’t what happened. Did you see it?
He’s referring to the lesbian relationship in Lightyear, which is indeed portrayed but really has no bearing on the storyline. However, as with Strange World, we’re supposed to believe that a brief representation of queerness defines an entire film and constitutes an “agenda” that straight people can’t handle.

TwilightZone

If a production dares to show a traditional nuclear family with the parents still married, the husband/father is relegated to a bumbling fool, if not someone to just be pitied and made fun of openly.
The simpsons been doing it since the 80s

Homer Simpson Reaction GIF

Also there's still a lot of examples of strong male parental figures in media. Most of the bumbling type is usually relegated to comedies, where bumblingness is expected.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom